English Language and Diversity

English Language and Diversity

Postby Prozac » Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:16 am

English is the universal language, and nobody can deny that. Owing to the size of the English-speaking population
and its usage in our daily life, English language has been acknowledge as the world's lingua franca.

The world is taking globalization seriously, and having English as a common language only makes business easier.
English is also the language of science, mathematics, technology, tourism, finance, business, and countless other
areas and one wonders if another language will be used it would be doubly hard.

English is the most used language on the internet - most of the content produced on the internet is in the English
language. But in pageantry, there is a growing concern about it's use - and it is all about diversity.

I watched the video of the Pageant Nerd, (TPN for short) and he discussed in passing the growing phenomenon
as he observed pageantry in the last decade. This is what he said:

"As I have mentioned in other videos, another trend, a worrying one for me is the ever increasing focus on delegates
speaking English in international competitions. More and more pageant finalists and winners in recent years have
been proficient if not fluent in English even when they represent countries where English is not their official
language.

Case in point is the quick chat with Steve Harvey after delegates are announced as Miss Universe semi-finalists. This
has happened in five most recent times Steve has hosted. And you probably know my thoughts on that. Of the 85
women who have done the chat since 2016, not a single one of them has used a translator. One assumes they weren't
made available unlike in other parts of the competition. In some cases it was abundantly clear a non-English delegate,
had rehearsed a pre-prepared answer.

I get it, This global pageant organizations are businesses, one that need a spokeperson to effectively represent their
brand. And English is a global language of business. But should non- English speakers even bothered to enter anymore
if they hold legitimate hopes of winning an international title?

Could an international pageant organization not focus its efforts for a year on the market where the reigning title
holder's language is spoken? Easier said than done, I know, but I truly hope international pageants and their supposed
celebration of diversity broaden their horizon in this particular area. "

What do you think guys?

Prozac
PROFESSIONALS are DIPLOMATIC and QUALITY posters.

Real Life Name/Nick: Butch
Date of Birth: 16 Mar 2016
Sexual Orientation: Straight
Profession: Hospital Worker
Western Zodiac Sign: Pisces
Chinese Zodiac: Rabbit
Hobbies/Interests: bully buster, fake news antidote
Message: If you see bizarre behaviors in you, seek professional help.

Re: English Language and Diversity

Postby esperasave » Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:29 am

With Catriona's batch, Miss Venezuela Stefanny Gutierrez was talking in broken English to Steve. However, I guess it's to an advantage with a delegate to a speak English in international competition because something can get lost during the translation especially The Spanish Speakers would usually utilize those 40 seconds or more to expound their ideas.
esperasave

Real Life Name/Nick: esperas
Date of Birth: 30 Aug 1973
Sexual Orientation: Asexual
Profession: medical
Western Zodiac Sign: Virgo
Chinese Zodiac: Ox
Hobbies/Interests: internet surfing
Message: Keep believing in the power of beauty in the human person

Postby ajsy0203 » Wed Jan 12, 2022 12:29 pm

Prozac wrote:
"As I have mentioned in other videos, another trend, a worrying one for me is the ever increasing focus on delegates
speaking English in international competitions. More and more pageant finalists and winners in recent years have
been proficient if not fluent in English even when they represent countries where English is not their official
language.

Case in point is the quick chat with Steve Harvey after delegates are announced as Miss Universe semi-finalists. This
has happened in five most recent times Steve has hosted. And you probably know my thoughts on that. Of the 85
women who have done the chat since 2016, not a single one of them has used a translator. One assumes they weren't
made available unlike in other parts of the competition. In some cases it was abundantly clear a non-English delegate,
had rehearsed a pre-prepared answer.

Go back to Miss Universe 1966-1974, the semifinalists were answered in English for the first round of interview, only in the Final 5 that they could start to use interpreters because the question are more complicated.
ajsy0203
PAGEANT HISTORIANS are walking encyclopedias of pageantry.
PAGEANT HISTORIANS are walking encyclopedias of pageantry.

Real Life Name/Nick: AJ
Date of Birth: 05 Sep 1986
Profession: Office Staff
Western Zodiac Sign: Virgo
Chinese Zodiac: Tiger
Hobbies/Interests: Teaching

Postby Blanche » Wed Jan 12, 2022 6:30 pm

English is the language of the world because the USA is the best country in the world. The Bible is written in English. Everyone needs to speak English in order to be successful in this world. That is why the pageant is spoken in English.
Blanche
Dark green members are SEMI-ACTIVE posters.

Date of Birth: 21 Dec 2008
Profession: Former Beauty Queen
Western Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Hobbies/Interests: Eating

Postby Prozac » Wed Jan 12, 2022 7:57 pm

Blanche wrote:English is the language of the world because the USA is the best country in the world. The Bible is written in English. Everyone needs to speak English in order to be successful in this world. That is why the pageant is spoken in English.

What made English the most used language? Several factors made it happen"
1. Hollywood movies- They have a captive audience around the world. Though some of them were dubbed
in local dialect to suit a few, but majority has manage to survive with English making them learn in the process.
2. English songs has global acceptance. Imagine an Ilocano 5 year old belting Celine Dion's My Heart Will Go On
and later grow up a man making English his second language. Sing your heart out in English and wonder how
many English songs will follow.
3. Books are written in English and one newspaper considered English the most preferred language for written
publications. English is not only widely spoken ... but is also widely read.
4. The English language is simple and is easy to pick up. No annoying verb conjugations and tenses you only
add ed if it happen in the past or simply add s to show plurality.
5. Internet had it's refrain sang in English. If you browse websites you will see its content done in English.

Learning a new language can be tedious and a long drawn out process. However, irrespective of what country
you were born, if you imbibe English gradually, a plethora of possibilities are waiting for you.
Prozac

Real Life Name/Nick: Butch
Date of Birth: 16 Mar 2016
Profession: Hospital Worker
Western Zodiac Sign: Pisces
Hobbies/Interests: bully buster, fake news antidote
Message: If you see bizarre behaviors in you, seek professional help.

Postby ManMeat » Thu Jan 13, 2022 1:26 am

“Queen Kurdapia” terrorized this thread OMFG

Janine Tugonon said English is not requirement to be Miss Universe but unfortunately, she became a 1st runner-up

And also I’m speaking broken English cuz I didn’t focus on English class in middle school, and I needed to focus on English again when I went to college.

You need to learn English when you are young and don’t stop focusing on it
That means if I focus on English class well in middle school, my grammar would have been better than this

Age 20 is may too late to learn a language that super different from your mother tongue
You can, but you can’t learn it perfectly cuz your brain is getting older
ManMeat
SUPER STARS are POPULAR or CHARISMATIC posters.

Date of Birth: 27 Mar 1989
Sexual Orientation: -----------
Profession: I'm better than you
Western Zodiac Sign: Aries
Chinese Zodiac: Snake
Hobbies/Interests: I'm gonna mention your dirty ass double standards

Postby mybadname » Thu Jan 13, 2022 3:58 am

Blanche wrote:English is the language of the world because the USA is the best country in the world. The Bible is written in English. Everyone needs to speak English in order to be successful in this world. That is why the pageant is spoken in English.

Baka naman the best pakialamaerong bansa. Lahat pinapakialamanan. No wonder western European doesn't like America.
my name is bad but i am good

Miss Universe only and nothing else!
mybadname
ELITES are highly regarded as FINEST posters of Missosology.

Real Life Name/Nick: ralph
Date of Birth: 19 Nov 1980
Profession: engineer
Western Zodiac Sign: Scorpio
Chinese Zodiac: Tiger
Hobbies/Interests: reading

Postby Mariana Erwin » Thu Jan 13, 2022 4:50 am

8-} 8-} 8-} 8-} 8-} 8-} 8-} 8-} 8-} 8-} 8-} 8-} 8-} 8-} 8-} 8-} 8-}

Dear, I'm also an American, but the language we are speaking in came from a kingdom we declared independence from centuries ago. This kind of toxic superiority that we Americans are always known for has to end. And dear, while people learn English because its the world's lingua franca, it doesn't mean that has to be have this kind of awful superior image when other countries prioritize their national languages. I would rather see a contestant speak in her mother tongue along with an excellent interpreter rather than have this contestant struggle with English. Learning English is not an easy feat and this is why some organizations (e.g. Miss France) have English teachers for whoever reigns as Miss France so that she can speak English when she competes internationally.
No more bashers in 2022, please.

Also, watch Dani Walker's video to know more on how bashers can kill with their words.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbYUDqSC1UM
Mariana Erwin

Date of Birth: 05 Apr 1988
Profession: ***********
Chinese Zodiac: Dragon
Hobbies/Interests: Pageantry
Message: Hello and welcome! Commenting on things in pageantry and critical of pageant issues.

Postby XAMURAI » Thu Jan 13, 2022 8:30 am

Blanche wrote:The Bible is written in English.

=;)) =;)) =;))
My Interview for GMA Western Visayas

[youtube]0UHn679-4P4[/youtube]
XAMURAI
ADMINS are OFFICIAL staffers of Missosology.
ADMINS are OFFICIAL staffers of Missosology.

Real Life Name/Nick: XAMURAI
Date of Birth: 01 Jul 1979
Profession: Company Employee and Entrepreneur
Western Zodiac Sign: Cancer
Hobbies/Interests: Basketball and Camping

Postby rockondude » Thu Jan 13, 2022 3:44 pm

This is just unfair for non English specking nations for example in my country only privilege kids are expose to the kind of English that is needed in order to even understand a miss universe interview. I know this is a troll threat but this is actually very serious. Plus anyway the western world is basically collapsing soon enough no one will care if you know English. The USA is dying a painful death just like the Soviet union
There is no excellent beauty that hath not some strangeness in the proportion.
rockondude

Real Life Name/Nick: julian
Date of Birth: 15 Aug 1985
Sexual Orientation: Not sure
Profession: Student
Western Zodiac Sign: Aquarius
Chinese Zodiac: Dog
Hobbies/Interests: i like to go to the gym
Message: There is no excellent beauty that hath not some strangeness in the proportion.

Postby Empress Beatrix » Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:23 pm

The Old Testament was written in Hebrew while the New Testament was originally written in Koine Greek .
Well , that’s the Bibles they have right now .
Which raises a lot of questions .
Why the New Testament was not written in Aramaic which is the language spoken by Jesus ?
Maybe it was, especially the Gospels of Matthew , Luke , Mark and John .
Or maybe it really was originally written in Koine Greek because it’s the lingua franca at that time .
The history of the Bible is really a fascinating subject . There’s still lots of researches and discoveries that need to be done .
The case of Matthew is particularly interesting . He was a tax collector so it’s logical to think that he was fluent in Aramaic (language of the Jews ) , Latin ( language of the Romans ) and Koine Greek ( the lingua franca ) .
Empress Beatrix
MISSOSOLOGISTS are OFFICIALLY part of the MISSOSOLOGY FAMILY.

Date of Birth: 21 Dec 1988
Profession: Empress
Hobbies/Interests: Watching pageants

Postby Blanche » Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:01 am

mybadname wrote:

Baka naman the best pakialamaerong bansa. Lahat pinapakialamanan. No wonder western European doesn't like America.

I beg your pardon? How do you make some wild accusation about Americans. I'm so tired of the racists in this forum. You are talking about Western Europe? You aren't even speaking any European language, This post was about the English language and I shared my opinion.
Blanche

Profession: Former Beauty Queen
Western Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Hobbies/Interests: Eating

Postby Mariana Erwin » Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:17 am

Blanche wrote:
mybadname wrote:

I beg your pardon? How do you make some wild accusation about Americans. I'm so tired of the racists in this forum. You are talking about Western Europe? You aren't even speaking any European language, This post was about the English language and I shared my opinion.
Dear, he’s talking about how our country has intervened too much in wordly affairs to the point that even Europe is worried and annoyed by what is happening here. Your opinion, to be honest, is not good since this language that we speak in here, despite being the lingua franca of this planet, isn’t something to just hail all the time. Let’s give space to other languages too (especially the other European lingua francas, like Spanish and French)! This also goes to pageants. Not all pageants are in English - Miss France, for example, is as French as it can be (and take note that some fans were not liking it when it kept highlighting American musicals in its recent edition).

Also, watch Dani Walker's video to know more on how bashers can kill with their words.

Mariana Erwin

Message: Hello and welcome! Commenting on things in pageantry and critical of pageant issues.

Postby chellomellow » Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:39 am

=;)) =;)) =;)) =;)) =;)) =;)) =;)) =;)) =;)) =;)) I am dying WTF :%)) :%)) :%)) :%)) :%))
─▀██▀▄███▄─ ▀██─██▀██▀▀▀█─
──██─███─███─██─██─██▄█──
──██─▀██▄██▀─▀█▄█▀─██▀█──
─▄██▄▄█▀▀▀─────▀──▄██▄▄▄█

[youtube]1rmr_z5bWgo[/youtube]

TEAM TYA JANE
chellomellow

Date of Birth: 16 Dec 2008
Sexual Orientation: -----------
Profession: I am an Angel sent from heaven ❤
Chinese Zodiac: Ox
Hobbies/Interests: Dancing, Reading, Music, Drawing, Anime, Piano

Postby Mariana Erwin » Sat Jan 15, 2022 5:43 am

chellomellow wrote:

=;)) =;)) =;)) =;)) =;)) =;)) =;)) =;)) =;)) =;)) I am dying WTF :%)) :%)) :%)) :%)) :%))
Same, given that I am also an American like her =;)) =;)) =;)) =;)) =;)) =;)) =;)) =;)) =;)) :%)) :%)) :%)) :%)) :%)) :%)) :%)) :%)) :%))

Mariana Erwin

Postby Mess Pelepens » Sat Jan 15, 2022 6:42 am

Mariana Erwin wrote:
Blanche wrote:
mybadname wrote:

Dear, he’s talking about how our country has intervened too much in wordly affairs to the point that even Europe is worried and annoyed by what is happening here. Your opinion, to be honest, is not good since this language that we speak in here, despite being the lingua franca of this planet, isn’t something to just hail all the time. Let’s give space to other languages too (especially the other European lingua francas, like Spanish and French)! This also goes to pageants. Not all pageants are in English - Miss France, for example, is as French as it can be (and take note that some fans were not liking it when it kept highlighting American musicals in its recent edition).

Europeans are disgusting .
Suckers really .
Europeans love sucking American taxpayers’ money .

The Europeans created NATO to prevent the Russian nuclear attacks .
It was agreed that all member countries contribute 2% of their GDP for their defense .
Only 3 NATO member countries exceeded the 2% threshold ... US , UK and Greece .

The US is spending $ 686 billion for NATO .
United Kingdom: $ 55.2 million
Greece : $ 4.7 million

https://worldpopulationreview.com/count ... by-country

NATO Spending by Country

The North Atlantic Treaty Organization – or NATO is a military and political alliance used to guarantee each of its members' security and freedom. Created after World War II, the goal of NATO is to promote democratic values, cooperate on defense and security issues, and to build trust among members. This, in turn, helps prevent conflict from occurring. NATO also promotes a peaceful resolution of disputes. However, if diplomatic efforts do not work, the military alliance is used for crisis-management operations.

As of 2019, there are 29 members of NATO. Those nations include:

Albania
Belgium, Bulgaria
Canada, Croatia, Czech Republic
Denmark
Estonia
France
Germany, Greece
Hungary
Iceland, Italy
Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg
Montenegro
Netherlands, Norway
Poland, Portugal
Romania
Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain
Turkey
United Kingdom, United States
During the 2014 summit, all NATO members agreed to spend 2% of their GDPs on defense by 2025. According to data gathered in 2017, many nations still fall short of this threshold.

The United States is just one of three nations that exceed the 2% threshold. The United States spends 3.6% of its GDP on defense. This equates to just under $686 billion.

Another nation that has met this threshold is the United Kingdom, which spends 2.1% of its GDP on defense – or $55.2 million. Greece has spent 2.4% of its GDP on the military, which is about $4.7 million.

Poland has also met this goal by spending precisely 2% of its GDP toward its military.

France falls just slightly short of the goal by spending 1.8% of its GDP on defense. Romania also spends this percentage but, with a smaller GDP, pays a smaller amount. Latvia's military spending is also 1.8% of its GDP, but the total amount spent is relatively low compared to the other NATO members.

By percentage of GDP spent, the U.S. comes out on top. In order of percentage of GDP spent, the top 10 nations include:

United States: 3.6%
Greece: 2.4%
United Kingdom: 2.1%
Estonia: 2.1%
Poland: 2.0%
France: 1.8%
Romania: 1.8%
Latvia: 1.8%
Lithuania: 1.7%
Norway: 1.6%
Here are the 10 countries with the most NATO spending:

United States ($6.85 Tn)
United Kingdom ($655.27 Bn)
Germany ($491.32 Bn)
France ($477.05 Bn)
Italy ($232.81 Bn)
Canada ($212.77 Bn)
Turkey ($180.00 Bn)
Spain ($123.36 Bn)
Poland ($113.76 Bn)
Netherlands ($113.60 Bn)
Mess Pelepens

Date of Birth: 21 Sep 2008
Profession: -----------------
Hobbies/Interests: ---------------

Postby Mess Pelepens » Sat Jan 15, 2022 7:37 am

Trump already pulled out from NATO but Biden joined again .

Trump also stopped funding that worthless WHO .
WHO did absolutely nothing during the the onslaught of coronavirus.
The World Health Organization was too slow to even declare that coronavirus is already a pandemic .
It was the CDC who is the vanguard in fighting the pandemic . They are the ones giving guidelines not just to the Americans but the whole world .
And it’s the American FDA approving what vaccines and medications to use .
It’s really shocking that the World Health Organization is just a sitting duck even to this very day .
When Biden became president , the US again is funding that worthless WHO . And yes ... USA gives the most number of money to WHO .
Mess Pelepens

Date of Birth: 21 Sep 2008
Profession: -----------------
Hobbies/Interests: ---------------

Postby roccor » Mon Jan 17, 2022 8:25 am

I feel these days, it’s as essential of a skill as a good pasarela
roccor
CORRESPONDENTS are OFFICIAL pageant REPORTERS & PHOTOGRAPHERS of Missosology.
CORRESPONDENTS are OFFICIAL pageant REPORTERS & PHOTOGRAPHERS of Missosology.

Real Life Name/Nick: Rocco R
Western Zodiac Sign: Sagittarius
Hobbies/Interests: Hotties. Surfing.

Return to Miss Universe