Cultural Filipino Behavior and Values

Cultural Filipino Behavior and Values

Postby Prozac » Fri Nov 12, 2021 12:36 pm

[(b]In one of my threads, "Developing Story at Miss Glamour International" two forum members were discussing colonial mentality, then it segued
to Catriona Gray and Aya Abesamis and later the discussion went the unexpected detour when they ended up dissecting some Filipino values
and traits. The discourse became heated and while I am no master about this topic, my friend challenged me if I can develop it.

While missosologists were debating on some regressive cultural behaviors of Filipinos, I was intrigued about what more can I add to this
list making Filipinos unique and different from the rest? Let us face it, Filipino people also have annoying and bad habits that sometimes
give the country a negative reputation.

So far these behaviors were already mentioned. I want to mention it again and what it meant. And to add more gravitas, after each item,
I will try my best to segue and give a pageant-related example so as not to get the ire of members who want 100% pageant related stories
in a pageant forum such as Missosology.

1. Colonial mentality- Filipinos love everything imported believing that foreigners are better than them, foreign-made items are better, and
even foreign languages are better. They often imitate foreigners’ fashion and way of life. In pageantry, some Filipinos kowtow to the Latinas
and berate the locals.

2. Manana habit - synonymous with the Filipino expression “Mamaya na,” It is another term for procrastination. It is the habit of leaving
for tomorrow what can be done today or postponing their actions for a later time thus reducing accomplishments. In pageantry, manana
habit is a big no-no, especially for the Philippines who has a name and the record to defend.

3. Crab Mentality -is a way of thinking best described by the phrase "if I can't have it, neither can you". The metaphor is derived from a
the pattern of behavior noted in crabs when they are trapped in a bucket. In pageantry when Filipinos bully Filipinos in this forum they
are often termed as crabs.

Other cultural behaviors and Filipino values that need to be scrapped and dropped:

4. Bahala Na Mentality - is an expression of a fatalistic attitude towards life especially when one is in a challenging situation where things
are risky and uncertain. It could also mean an expression of one's courage and faith in God. We embrace uncertainties because we care about
our future. Bahala na means let go and let God. In pageantry, Bahala Na Mentality emits negative vibes despite the mention of God. I still believe
God helps those who help themselves.

5. Filipino Time Mentality- Filipinos typically have a relaxed approach towards timekeeping and punctuality. It is common for Filipinos to arrive
an hour or two hours after the designated time. To use a better term - it's tardiness! In pageantry, no Filipino queen is worth her salt if she has
the annoying habit of being late and making others wait.

6. Ningas Cogon Mentality - is a tendency among Filipinos to start a new venture or task with too much enthusiasm and effort, but after some
time they will take a pause or will suddenly stop working, until such time that they lose interest in the venture or task. It literally means the
burning of cogon grass, which burns brightly only during the few seconds after it was lit. And then the fire is gone. In Pageantry, after winning
some Filipino queens has all the plans of moving heaven and earth to practice and perfect their body or improving their communication skills,
but when ningas cogon hits, her chances of winning are going downhill on zero turns.

7. Balikbayan Box Mentality - when we disregard the fact the person abroad is working very hard so those they left behind can have a better life.
Instead, we ask the person to send back things that we want, without thinking about how hard they had to work for it. While there is nothing
wrong with giving gifts to one’s family and friends (we Filipinos do highly value them after all), it becomes a different matter when said family
and friends either misconstrue or abuse the OFW’s generosity. In pageantry, any family or friends expecting a pasalubong when the Pinay beauty
queen returns home need to question herself: "Are you out of your mind?"

8. Kanya-Kanya Syndrome. Filipinos have a selfish, self-serving attitude that generates a feeling of envy and competitiveness towards others,
particularly one's peers, who seem to have gained some status or prestige. It affects our sense of cooperation and community spirit and in the
denial of the rights of others. In pageantry, Bea Luigi Gomez team should act like a strong cohesive force ... each department complimenting
the others. If this happens, one thing is sure - a better placement or the crown itself.

9. Thin Onion Skin mentality- Filipinos are easily embarrassed and quick to take offense. This always happens in Missosology. When one member
scratch another superficially, the latter fires back with more vile and more venom.

10. Fiesta Syndrome - Now there’s nothing wrong with enjoying a fiesta and party every now and then, it’s just that we Filipinos tend to overdo
it. Birthdays, anniversaries, graduations, and even somber funerals are celebrated by Filipinos like there is no tomorrow. Sometimes we even
make up the slightest of reasons just so we could have an excuse to party. What’s more, a host would sometimes even strain his own finances
just to impress his guests. In pageantry, there's a never-ending fiesta when a candidates win. Everybody loves a winner, and they love to party
with the winner.

11. Pointing with their Lips Syndrome - it is mouth-pointing and it is done to save time. It is also a form of nonverbal communication especially
if you don't want somebody to know that you are pointing at her. In pageantry, When Miss Thailand did that dizzying helicopter stunt pasarela
in Miss Globe Finals, I saw my son not paying attention so I pointed my lips to the TV screen and my son gave the most heartrending laugh he
can have. He looked amused at how she did it but later admitted Miss Thailand's move was over the top.

12. Ang Lagay Eh Mentality - One of the biggest social ills our country has continued to face since time immemorial is the lagayan mentality. Let’s face it,
our “culture of lagayan” is embedded deep within our system and reinforced by a complex web of economic and social factors which include personal
ambitions and a twisted sense of loyalty to friends and kin. In pageantry, when Cindy Obenita won Miss Intercontinental 2021, Miss Cuba and her Indonesian
cohorts were quick to castigate that favoritism is indeed alive and well ... "Ang lagay eh," they chorused.

13. Perfect host Mentality- describes how Filipinos welcome foreigners or tourists who visit the country. For Filipinos, it is a pleasure and the country's
honor to accept foreigners as visitors and build genuine relationships and friendships with them. For ordinary Filipino keeping the standard to make
you a perfect host is bad if you borrow money in the name of hospitality. in pageantry, the Philippines as the host country is leaving no stone unturned
to give the best experience to the delegates and its visitors. They want to show the Filipino brand of hospitality, even if it means they have to shell a
lot of moolah.

14. Double standard Mentality- Example of this is condemnation of an adulterous woman while applauding a polygamous man. On the national scale,
we see politicians spouting promises of reform and good governance only to break them in the end.

15. LBC box mentality - Balikbayan boxes are a symbol of the Filipino diaspora and a bridge between families separated by thousands of miles.
Traditionally, Filipinos working overseas carefully pack and send a box full of gifts to their families back home.

Bad habits Filipinos should get rid of:
1. Being too reactive especially online.
2. Cleaning up as you go.
3. Disregard for simple rules
4. Imposing your own traditions/beliefs on other people.
5. Romanticising struggles
6. Gossiping
7. Pagparinig especially in social media
8. Disrespectful of other people's time and property.

Is there any other Filipino behavior that you know thatis bizarre but worth mentioning? If you do, please mention it here!
[/b]

Last edited by Prozac on Mon Nov 15, 2021 6:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Prozac
PROFESSIONALS are DIPLOMATIC and QUALITY posters.

Real Life Name/Nick: Butch
Date of Birth: 16 Mar 2016
Sexual Orientation: Straight
Profession: Hospital Worker
Western Zodiac Sign: Pisces
Hobbies/Interests: internet surfing, watching TV
Message: Thank you for giving us pageant updates day in and day-out.

Re: Cultural Filipino Behavior and Values

Postby Prozac » Fri Nov 12, 2021 12:49 pm

On the other hand Filipinos have good cultural values also. It will be a big disservice if we don't mention it
here. They are:

1. Hospitable. One of the Filipino qualities and attitudes that many foreign people love to a Filipino. ...
2. Respectful. ...
3. Generous and Helpful. ...
4. Hardworking. ...
5. Caring and Loving. ...
6. Family Oriented. ...
7. Honest and Commitment. ...
8 kindhearted and happy people.
9. Love of family
Last edited by Prozac on Mon Nov 15, 2021 6:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Prozac

Postby beautywatchnyc » Fri Nov 12, 2021 4:33 pm

These cultural undesirables do not define who we are. Reason why I described them ponderable as regressive in my reply. In my view, better still in everyone else', these traits are cultural impediments, NOT absolute imperatives that should be glorified or emulated by the younger of mind. As eager students once early on, we've been thoroughly lectured on these quite extensively .. decidedly as being counter productive, hence, the need to avert and dislodge these undesirable traits from within our ways .. for greater -- the Filipino cultural identity. In that heated exchange, I was reacting to a sweeping generalization or was it an allegation? about how Filipinos seemed to have adapted these traits that made them look bad 2x in the eyes of the outside world, hence, my opposite personal view. As you will note, the reply went berserk to some degree even personal. And to refrain from acting like a precocious 5-year toddler, I kept my cool. Trusting this clears the air for you.

As to the above .. the good and the bad ... Filipinos, albeit our cultural shortcomings, could keep on learning from the bad, can't we for greater embrace the good that could spell THE huge difference for the rest of our life?
Last edited by beautywatchnyc on Sat Nov 13, 2021 2:28 am, edited 3 times in total.
beautywatchnyc
VIP MEMBERS are REAL LIFE candidates or PAGEANT ORGANIZERS.

Location: New York City (former) now residing in the Royal Borough of Kensington & Chelsea, SW5
Real Life Name/Nick: david
Date of Birth: 21 Dec 2008
Sexual Orientation: Asexual
Profession: HR Consultancy, Professional Cooking
Western Zodiac Sign: Cancer
Chinese Zodiac: Horse
Hobbies/Interests: Surfing D Net Cooking Travel Reading Pho2graphy

Postby beautywatchnyc » Fri Nov 12, 2021 5:08 pm

... bizarre but worth mentioning? To add to your list, here goes:-

1) pakialamero na wala sa lugar, i,e, saan ka pupunta?, saan ka galeng? nu ginawa mo dun? cno kasama mo? overly mindful as if it was his personal obligation to know.

2) manitsit in lieu of calling by name or hand gesture. Or, calling at the highest voice during lunch or dinner time when someone is not present within immediate sight.

3) sapilitang sumalo at makikikain sa hapag kainan to the displeasure of the unexpected visitor (uninvited )

Acting superior and talking down to others on account of own age and seniority in the fora. (particularly in these pages).

beautywatchnyc

Location: New York City (former) now residing in the Royal Borough of Kensington & Chelsea, SW5

Postby Qui Qui Quinali Quote » Fri Nov 12, 2021 6:51 pm

These bad traits are actually better discussed among pinoys .
Just my take .
Why ?
1 . Because the point really is to suppress these bad traits and your target audience are the pinoys .
I could imagine foreigners will only be interested in these stuff if they are doing research in Sociology or are planning to live in the Philippines .
Or maybe foreigners that are pinoy haters who are looking for ways to attack pinoys .
This thread can be construed as pulling down pinoys . That this thread is crab mentality itself ... just being honest .
Essentially it’s exposing the baho of pinoys .

2 It’s better understood when you experienced these bad traits yourself .
Even if you try to explain it in written form , it’s may still look Greek to many.

3. There’s humor to it that only pinoys will understand . There are many situations that these bad traits are experienced in humorous ways .

I would like to add some .

A. The Sutsot or “ Psssttt” instead of calling someone’s name .
In the Philippines is pretty common and not offensive whatsoever .
In the US ... sa workplace ... it’s very offensive especially if the one doing the sutsot is superior .

B. Pointing fingers when giving orders .
Very offensive when done in a workplace sa US .

C . Political loyalists . Not uniquely Filipino but so annoying . Ha ha

D. Regionalism . Again not uniquely Filipino. But so common in the Philippines and may not even be considered offensive.
It’s a form of racism but it’s not because pinoys belong to the same race .
It’s Bisaya vs Kapangpangan vs Bicolona vs Ilokano etc etc etc
Qui Qui Quinali Quote
SUPER STARS are POPULAR or CHARISMATIC posters.
SUPER STARS are POPULAR or CHARISMATIC posters.

Date of Birth: 21 May 2016
Profession: Professional
Hobbies/Interests: reading and writing

Postby Prozac » Fri Nov 12, 2021 9:34 pm

Thank you guys for the contributions. This is indeed a good discussion. Before I start this thread, I have qualms or
the hesitation of the repercussions as maybe some people will misconstrue it as an attack on us or some kind of a crab
mentality ploy to malign us or make fun of us. That was not my intention. And the most feared result is giving ammunition
to the outside world especially from people down under who make it their business to put a shade on anything Filipino.

All I wanted was to learn our real selves and from our discussion and from your observations and examples although some
of the situations looked absurd and ludicrous, we discover ourselves and it showed us firsthand some vignette and slices
of life of how it is to become a Filipino.

As they say you can take the man out of the country, but you can't take the country out of the man. Simply said: The man
has acquired certain habits of thought when they lived in this place/culture; when they move elsewhere there won’t be
any easy way to make them give up these mental habits.
Last edited by Prozac on Mon Nov 15, 2021 6:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
Prozac

Postby Prozac » Fri Nov 12, 2021 9:55 pm

I went for a short vacation recently to the Philippines and I brought with me some American friends who were
too excited to see the country.

As we queue ourselves in San Francisco Airport, my friends notice a flood of balikbayan boxes lining in that
wing of the airport making an unsuspecting adult believe it is part of LBC Express or a freight cargo forwarder.
On one side there was one family scavenging the insides of the box because of excess baggage, and thought
what could be removed from inside that will make PAL stamp the seal of approval that the box is good to go.

On the other side, there was another family opening the box, it seemed like some friends came to the airport
for additional stuff to be brought to their family.

My friends looked amused as these families were oblivious that people were staring at them. One friend has
the guts to ask: "I heard they are doctors and nurses ... can't they afford a Samsonite or American Tourister?"

I told them, "It is not that. To tell you the truth, some of them are earning more than you do. It is just that
balikbayan box is becoming a part of the culture and a Filipino family way of life!"

I give them the challenge, "Let's cruise around the vast San Francisco airport. If you see a Filipino ... you tell
me." My friend took the challenge, "Oh I know now ... if I see a balikbayan box ... the person standing beside
it is Filipino."
Last edited by Prozac on Mon Nov 15, 2021 6:59 am, edited 2 times in total.
Prozac

Postby beautywatchnyc » Sat Nov 13, 2021 2:05 am

Sharing our blessings with those whom we treasure and love -- be it with our own family, friends, former colleagues, close associates -- is both a virtue and a gift. It's nothing to be ashamed of whether the package comes in an ordinary washed-up buri or expensive LV wrap. I can recall scouring the shelves of bargain stops and in particular the B&B outlet in the proximity of 14th in NYC and many years later emptying the shelves of charity shops in the highstreets around London hunting for "gems" to be found and brought home as a pasalubong..

From within those early years of expatriated employment in Riyadh, I actually encountered foreign nationalities from as many countries who were wont at doing similar pasalubong wraps in the manner we do as we prepare for a respite back home usually after completion of a contractual period working for an employer overseas. So you see, good or bad, this trait is not a sole monopoly of returning balikbayans alone although Pinoys have the proclivity to do it beyond "excess" as some other's observation or frame of reference pointed out.
beautywatchnyc

Postby mybadname » Sat Nov 13, 2021 5:10 am

1. Yes one attitude I really don't like is our love of imported things! Filipinos should start loving themselves. In Sweden, when a friend of mine introduced me to her Swedish nephew, the Swedish guy talked to me in Sverige which I hardly understood. Then my friend told him to speak in English because I'm still new in the country and still learning the language to which he obliged. Later he apologized to me. He said he just loved using his language than using English. O di ba, mas appreciated nila ang language nila. Pero mga Pinoy, kung maka english kahit baluktot, ipipilit tlga. Yon ang dapat mabago sa pag uugali ng mga Noypi. Feeling conyo kung makagamit ng English kahit mali mali.

2. Thank God, I have not acquired that habit. We can change that behavior starting from our family. Buti na lang wala sa pamilya ko ang ugaling yan.

3. Praise God, I don't have that crab in my mind. Salamat sa edukasyong pinagkaloob sa akin sa Pinas at sa Sweden na rin.

4. Bahala na? - hmm wala akong ugaling ganyan. I make sure that all my actions are perfectly good and I wont regret it.

5. I believe Filipino time is always on time. NASA pag iisp lang ng tao yan. Basta ayoko ng nale late.

6. Lol, kaya yoko ng mga bhuseta. Pag may ginagawa ako, wag mo tlga akong kausapin at makaktikim ka sa akin ng di magandang salita. Kung wala kang oras, kumuha ka ng plastic labo at hulihin mo utot mo. Wag lang akong gambalain.

7. I can relate. Everytime I went home, people always expect a pasalubong. Kapal ng mga mukhang manghingi. Magbanat kayo ng buto. Pinaghirapan ko ito. Di naman sa madamot pero mag antay kayo kung bibigyan kayo. Kung wala eh di pasensya. Kaya my family knows excatly my attitude. Everytime na uuwi ako o galing sa ibang bansa, they dont expect a pasalubong kasi alam na nila ang ugali ko na ayaw ko magbitbit ng mabibigat na bagahe pag uwi hahaa.

8. I don't like that attitude. I always believe in collaboration. Do I possess that? I doubt.

9. Yeah, that's part of the practice already. I have had that kind of attitude before but you can change it actually. It depends on your environment. Siguro sa Sweden direct to the point ang mga tao doon kaya nakasanayan ko na at napractice.

10. Yeah pinaka hate ko sa ugali kasi mga tiyahin ko ay ganyan. Ipangutang lang tlga para lang may ipangkain. Gosh, hate it! Isa pa sa ayaw ko young kumakain tapos paubos na ang food tapos may dumating na bisita tapos sasabihan mo ng "kain tayo." Wahaha! What if you don't have food to prepare anymore tapos kakain ung tao? My gosh, that would be an embarrassment.

11. Lip pointing, well, I'm doing that sometimes haha

12. No, I'm not doing that. I hate corruption.

13. I don't practice that also, being a perfect host. For me, you must be grateful that I receive you in my home. Sorry, I am not hospitable at all. LOL

14 - 15. nah, hate those.
my name is bad but i am good

MissUniverse/MissEarth
mybadname
ELITES are highly regarded as FINEST posters of Missosology.

Real Life Name/Nick: ralph
Date of Birth: 19 Nov 1980
Profession: engineer
Western Zodiac Sign: Scorpio
Chinese Zodiac: Tiger
Hobbies/Interests: reading

Postby The_saurus » Sat Nov 13, 2021 5:44 am

I'm not sure if you're a foreigner or a Filipino who happens to live most of his life abroad, because if you are, to follow your "suggestion" of scrapping or dropping out some cultural behaviors would be an anti-thesis to your post of "having colonial mentality" because basically you are just imposing your "western" point of view.

In any case, I would treat your post as something innocous and academic.

1. Colonial Mentality. After having been colonized for 333 years by Spain, and couple years by Japan, and couple years more by the US, i'd say this mentality is pretty much ingrained already and probably Filipinos have the Stockholm Syndrome even before it became a concept. But I guess, this is slowly fading, and i mean slowly, with movements calling for #SupportLocal and that sort of stuff. And yeah, we hated Barazza and demanded that our Queens be dressed by local designers. So I guess we're slowly moving away from that mentality.

2. the Mañana habit was actually vilified by the colonisers, if im not mistaken. Historically, they thought Filipinos were indolent for doing siestas or afternoon naps and thought they're procrastinating. But they failed to realized that Filipinos back then were already working in the field as early as 3 or 4 in the morning. The tropical heat also prevents them from working during midday, so they do siestas instead. Basically, i'm saying the mañana habit isn't as bad as we think they are. Filipinos are hard workers.

3. Crab mentality. I can't say that this is uniquely Filipinos. So yeah. I do not agree.

4. Bahala na Mentality. I don't find anything wrong with this, unless if it means mediocrity or that we settle for less. But if it means that after all the efforts exerted, lifting everything to God (or chance) is not something negative. We just believe that there are things that are beyond our control.

5. Filipino Time. Same with Crab mentality. this is not uniquely Filipino. In fact, in Costa Rica, they also have "Tico Time". I bet, most countries have this too. So, it's time to drop the discussion on this.

6. Ningas Cogon. No comment. I dont have any historical or sociological inputs on this.

7. Balikbayan box mentalit. there is no such thing. Filipinos just love to give "pasalubongs". Those balikbayan boxes are actually filled with love. in the words of Queen Pia, "I don't see any problem with that at all"

8. Kanya-Kanya Syndrome. I don't think this is entirely true. Filipinos, sociologically speaking, are a cliquish lot. We tend do things as a group, hence, the "bayanihan". So this is not entirely true. I think we still have a sense of community unlike in the U.S. or other western cultures.

9. Onion-skinned syndrome. Where do you get all these made-up syndromes and mentalities? I never heard of this. I don't think Filipinos are that onion skinned. They may be sensitive the same way other nationalities are sensitive when they felt they're being attacked. So yeah, not uniquely Filipino's.

10. Fiesta Syndrome. Again, never heard of this. But why would you want this scrapped out?

11. Pointing lips. Why what's wrong with this? To drop this just because the "western culture" find this funny is basically your finest example of colonial mentality.
-- DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS --

DEADMATOLOGY, the art of not giving a f*ck!

AS MUCH AS I WANT TO REPLY, YOU'RE JUST TOO LOW CLASS I CAN'T EVEN
The_saurus
MISSOSOLOGISTS are OFFICIALLY part of the MISSOSOLOGY FAMILY.

Date of Birth: 05 Aug 1990
Profession: Student
Hobbies/Interests: Reading

Postby Prozac » Sat Nov 13, 2021 8:50 am

Thank you guys for your input. The more we discuss, the clearer our understanding of who we are. We contradict
each other once in a while, but that's the process of having a discussion.

According to Lifestyle Desk and I quote, "There is no right or wrong, in a discussion only a difference of perspective. In
life, we often feel that our point of view is the correct one, and those differing from us do not have the entire picture
and, therefore, they are wrong. But, can it be that the concept of ‘right’ and ‘wrong’ is a sham, and it is always about
perspective? And that two people can have varying points of view, but are both right?

There was a mystical tale, where two students belonging to a spiritual community get into an argument and seek the
intervention of the great master, who tells them they are both right, leading to a massive confusion: how can both be
right? So they meet with the great master together to pose the same question again, and he repeats that they are both
right.

“The fascinating message of the story is that when we get too fixated on ‘I am right’, it always leads to a fight. We only
see things from our point of view. A point of view is always limited, it is never comprehensive. The way I see a room is
bound to be different from the way other people see it”.

“Knowledge is a point of view, and wisdom is a viewing point; the ability to see things from many different perspectives.
The teacher was operating from wisdom. He was able to see one person’s perspective and also the other person’s perspective.
Which is why for him, truly both were right,”.

“To hold on to our point of view is the most stubborn thing. To learn to let it go, and witness different thoughts and different
points of view… we can have a true connection and true higher understanding,”

Learning to let go and agreeing to disagree are key to a higher understanding.
Last edited by Prozac on Mon Nov 15, 2021 6:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
Prozac

Postby esperasave » Sat Nov 13, 2021 11:40 am

This discussion is for a Sociology 101 class. Likewise, this is not a pageant related topic. On the other hand, this will be a boring discussion if we put our hands here in this forum. I want an in person class instead so it would be lively.
esperasave

Real Life Name/Nick: esperas
Date of Birth: 30 Aug 1973
Profession: medical
Western Zodiac Sign: Virgo
Chinese Zodiac: Ox
Hobbies/Interests: internet surfing
Message: Keep believing in the power of beauty in the human person

Postby Elyerno Zabagguri » Sun Nov 14, 2021 11:20 am

MARAMI AKONG NAKASALAMUHA AT NAKATRABAHONG MGA LATINO, AT MASASABI KONG GANYAN DIN ANG UGALI NILA. PINOY NA PINOY DIN ESPECIALLY THAT CRAB MENTALITY AT MANANA HABIT.

SPANISH INFLUENCE MAYBE? OR PARANG NAITURO SA AKIN NG SOCIOLOGY PROF KO BEFORE, IT'S THE SPANIARD'S CORRUPTION AND INJUSTICE DURING SPAIN'S COLONIZATION KAYA NAG-EVOLVE NG GANUN ANG MENTALITY NG MGA TAO INSIDE THE COLONIES.
Elyerno Zabagguri
ENTERTAINERS are FUNNY people.

Real Life Name/Nick: Superstar Elyerno
Date of Birth: 02 Sep 1988
Sexual Orientation: Gay
Profession: Writer, Producer, Talent Manager
Chinese Zodiac: Dragon
Hobbies/Interests: Beauty Pageants, Showbiz

Postby Elyerno Zabagguri » Sun Nov 14, 2021 11:24 am

AND ACCORDING TO MY FORMER PROF TOMAS C ONGOCO, FILIPINO TIME IS NOT ACTUALLY "FILIPINO" IN NATURE. THAT HABIT WAS BROUGHT TO US BY THE SPANIARDS BECAUSE IN SPANISH CULTURE, BEING LATE IN GATHERINGS IS A SIGN OF IMPORTANCE AND "NOBILITY".

YUNG TIPONG PAG MAY THEATER PLAY AT ISA KANG V.I.P, HINDI MAGSISIMULA ANG PALABAS HANGGA'T HINDI KA DUMARATING.

Elyerno Zabagguri

Postby Elyerno Zabagguri » Sun Nov 14, 2021 11:30 am

KUNG NAGBASA KAYO NG NOLI ME TANGERE AT EL FILIBUSTERISMO, IPINALIWANAG NI RIZAL NA 'YANG MGA CULTURAL FILIPINO BEHAVIOR NA NABANGGIT AY INFLUENCES NG IBANG LAHI SA ATIN (SPANISH, CHINESE, ARAB CULTURES)

PERO SIYEMPRE MERON DING AUTHENTIC PINOY CULTURE. TULAD NA LANG NG PAGIGING JUDGMENTAL, FEELINGERA AT CHISMOSA.
=;)) =;)) =;))
Elyerno Zabagguri

Postby Elyerno Zabagguri » Sun Nov 14, 2021 11:38 am

ISA PA SA CULTURAL FILIPINO BEHAVIOR NA BASURA KAYA DAPAT NA ALISIN EH 'YUNG REGIONALISM.

'YUNG TIPONG MAGNANAKAW O KRIMINAL 'YUNG TAO PERO DAHIL SA ILOKANO, O TAGALOG, O BISAYA, O BIKOLANO KAYONG PAREHO EH LOVE MO PA RIN SIYA. KAYA DI UMUUNLAD ANG PILIPINAS DAHIL SA GANYANG PAG-UUGALI.
Elyerno Zabagguri

Postby Prozac » Sun Nov 14, 2021 5:45 pm

Elyerno Zabagguri wrote:ISA PA SA CULTURAL FILIPINO BEHAVIOR NA BASURA KAYA DAPAT NA ALISIN EH 'YUNG REGIONALISM.

'YUNG TIPONG MAGNANAKAW O KRIMINAL 'YUNG TAO PERO DAHIL SA ILOKANO, O TAGALOG, O BISAYA, O BIKOLANO KAYONG PAREHO EH LOVE MO PA RIN SIYA. KAYA DI UMUUNLAD ANG PILIPINAS DAHIL SA GANYANG PAG-UUGALI.

That sucks! And the issue is becoming a now-issue knowing that the 2022 election is just a hair-breath away.

What can you say about ugaling-Pinoy where if you know someone while riding in a bus he expects that you will
pay for his fare. The last time I went on vacation sa Pinas nagiging biktima ako ng ugaling ito at nagtsismis pa
kesyo galing daw ako ng Amerika, "ano ba naman yong singkwentang pesos na pamasahe?" I know that not everybody
is doing this, but it sucks.

What happens to KKB (acronym for kanya-kanyang bayad)? Or Dutch treat?
Last edited by Prozac on Mon Nov 15, 2021 6:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Prozac

Postby Prozac » Sun Nov 14, 2021 6:22 pm

Then there is another issue in PALUWAGAN - which literally means ‘easing up,’ It is a traditional Filipino practice of pooling savings
funds common among close friends and colleagues with the purpose of saving and making a lump sum for certain financial goals such
as bigger purchases at the time of scheduled redemption or payout. In other countries, it is called ROSCA - Rotating Credit and Savings
Association

The concept of Paluwagan or ROSCA has been around since time immemorial, A paluwagan also entails shared savings goals, hence
the spirit of ‘bayanihan’ among participating members who usually struggle to make regular savings for specific purposes from their
monthly paychecks. But it has its detriment too, just like an inefficient collection of funds and a member who left and resigned at the
middle of the term.

And with on-line paluwagan mushrooming due to pandemic, some well-meaning netizens dismiss it as illegal or the newest internet
scam
Prozac

Postby Prozac » Mon Nov 15, 2021 12:14 am

There are also in flight/ airline behaviors Filipinos have that are amusing to foreigners. At times it can
be annoying too. I want to reiterate that not all Filipinos are doing this, but there are still some who can pull this
antics and leave everyone else knocked out and floored.

1. Seat reservations. I always have the habit of having my ticket reserved 3 months before the actual flight. And
one of my requests is to give me an aisle seat because with a long flight from San Francisco and back I swallowed
air. Aerophagia is the medical term for excessive and repetitive air swallowing. People with aerophagia gulp so much
air, it produces uncomfortable gastrointestinal symptoms like abdominal distension, bloating, belching, and flatulence.
Having an aisle seat gave me the freedom to walk inside the airplane while everybody is sleeping.

So here comes one enterprising Filipino who asked you point-blank if you could give up your seat in exchange of
a middle seat which I really hated so much es[ecially when you see yourself later on being sandwiched beside two
sleeping and snoring seniors. And I really hate myself denying their request, or explaining myself why I denied it, or
giving them a pep talk on making their request/reservations early so they can have the seat that they wanted.

2. Another annoying in-flight behavior is when Filipinos start standing right away after the plane has landed. I seldom
see that in other airlines. Why are they doing that anyway? Is it because they want to be the first to disembark or they
are just so excited to see their families? Why can't they follow a simple rule?

Imagine two seniors who were seated at the tail-end wanting to go in front with their hand-carried bags jostling the
crowd that has already crammed and jammed the aisles. And they want to make they're being seniors as an excuse so
you will allow them to pass thru. This prompted another senior to say: "Inang sabay-sabay po tayong makakarating."

3. Another peculiar behavior is our penchant for souvenirs and small mementos, collectibles, keepsakes, tokens and
remembrances. We love collecting postcards of places we go, and in the hotels we stayed sachets of shampoo, soaps.
even towels were not spared.

On the plane, we saw some are collecting small bags of sugar, salt even spoons, and forks. I even saw one collecting
Filipino newspapers and I ask him why, and his answer, "my pasalubong. My family in San Jose thirst anything Filipino."

4. Another inflight anecdote that never fails to amaze me, is during the announcement, that the plane is finally in its
the last leg of its descent, I find it strange for seniors to start crumbling their way to the bathroom when you can almost
see the runway of the airport. Cant, they do their last-minute ablutions early? On my last flight to LA, I witness firsthand
how a cabin crew pounds the door of the restroom to remind the person she has to go back to her seat.

Guys I have nothing against seniors, I know I will someday become one. But prudence and common sense dictates we
have to be careful.

5, For Philippine Airlines, it has become the habit of Filipinos to clap after a successful landing. My American friend
who was half asleep was startled and asked: "What is happening ..." And then, of course, I have to do the obligatory
explanation that what you see is authentic Filipino behavior. Nobody does that ... ONLY IN THE PHILIPPINES.
Prozac

Postby beautywatchnyc » Mon Nov 15, 2021 12:53 am

Filipinos who barely travel or who have not done so usually ask insane favors. Seniors oftentimes abuse their privilege because local culture tends to favor their lot. Pinoys who travel quite often know the decorum. That's a given. We should be able to delineate the difference and exercise our basic right lecturing on the abusive to put them in place or harness our much vaunted patience to work wonders. To the western-oriented mind, such behaviour is viewed as intrusive, hence, very annoying, but then again, it takes maturity and wisdom to dilute and convert some of these nuisances into nuggets, if we only try.
beautywatchnyc

Postby Prozac » Mon Nov 15, 2021 6:41 am

beautywatchnyc wrote:
Filipinos who barely travel or who have not done so usually ask insane favors. Seniors oftentimes abuse their privilege because local culture tends to favor their lot. Pinoys who travel quite often know the decorum. That's a given. We should be able to delineate the difference and exercise our basic right lecturing on the abusive to put them in place or harness our much vaunted patience to work wonders. To the western-oriented mind, such behaviour is viewed as intrusive, hence, very annoying, but then again, it takes maturity and wisdom to dilute and convert some of these nuisances into nuggets, if we only try.

Well said ...
Prozac

Postby Binibining ZOZI » Mon Nov 15, 2021 1:37 pm

MAGNANAKAW MENTALITY
YOU CAN WITNESS HOW CORRUPT OUR POLITICIANS ARE, SAME WITH AN ORDINARY FILIPINO CITIZENS.
ONE TIME, I ATTENDED A FILIPINO PARTY AND I CAN SEE HOSPITAL TOWELS IN THEIR BATHROOM, GLOVES, SANITISER AND EVEN SIMPLE ITEMS.
FILIPINOS LOVE TO TAKE ITEMS WHICH THEY DON'T OWN WHETHER IN HOTEL ROOMS, AIRPLANE ITEMS LIKE BLANKETS AND SO ON
Binibining ZOZI

Real Life Name/Nick: princess
Date of Birth: 21 Dec 2000
Profession: cabin crew
Hobbies/Interests: travelling, pageantry

Postby lingintexas » Tue Nov 16, 2021 7:29 am

Good read actually but better suited for the general forum, so out of place in the Miss Universe section.
lingintexas

Real Life Name/Nick: Alvin-Michael Tiago Linton
Date of Birth: 23 Jan 1984
Profession: Chemical Engineer
Western Zodiac Sign: Aquarius
Chinese Zodiac: Rooster
Hobbies/Interests: Computers

Postby Beta » Fri Nov 19, 2021 7:05 pm

Filipino parents competing with other filipino parents when it comes to their kids' accomplishments?
Beta
ANGELS are the nicest persons of the forum.
ANGELS are the nicest persons of the forum.

Date of Birth: 30 Jul 2008
Profession: BOSS
Western Zodiac Sign: Leo
Hobbies/Interests: EVERYTHING

Postby frederick » Sat Nov 20, 2021 3:15 am

Elyerno Zabagguri wrote:ISA PA SA CULTURAL FILIPINO BEHAVIOR NA BASURA KAYA DAPAT NA ALISIN EH 'YUNG REGIONALISM.

Parang wala namang ganyan, hindi ko pa na-experience yan. May friend ako na Cebuano dati sa work pero pinagtatanggol naman nya ako kapag "MARITESS" at Pinabubulaanan ako ng kaparehas nya ng bayan. Sa tingin ko naman hindi makakatiis ang mga pinoy sa mga tiwali.
frederick

Date of Birth: 10 Dec 1988
Profession: Dancer
Western Zodiac Sign: Sagittarius
Hobbies/Interests: Net surfing/National Geographic, Sciences

Postby Prozac » Thu Nov 25, 2021 6:05 am

Beta wrote:Filipino parents competing with other filipino parents when it comes to their kids' accomplishments?

This is very common. But i think it is pretty universal. I know of a Thai family whose fathers are competing with everything in life - socio-economic standing, lifestyle and children who were not only goodlooking but also intellegent. The twist of the story the children end up being lovers in the end to spite their parents.
Prozac

Postby Prozac » Thu Nov 25, 2021 6:28 am

frederick wrote:

Parang wala namang ganyan, hindi ko pa na-experience yan. May friend ako na Cebuano dati sa work pero pinagtatanggol naman nya ako kapag "MARITESS" at Pinabubulaanan ako ng kaparehas nya ng bayan. Sa tingin ko naman hindi makakatiis ang mga pinoy sa mga tiwali.

I believe that regionalism does exist. I hate making this as an example because I am here in America and
I am apolitical. This is just an observation but when one president fled the country Filipinos from their region are so
quick to defend him. In their eyes the President can do no wrong. They don't mind if their political discourse will
result to a fisticuff either verbal or physical.
Last edited by Prozac on Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
Prozac

Postby Prozac » Thu Nov 25, 2021 6:38 am

Elyerno Zabagguri wrote:KUNG NAGBASA KAYO NG NOLI ME TANGERE AT EL FILIBUSTERISMO, IPINALIWANAG NI RIZAL NA 'YANG MGA CULTURAL FILIPINO BEHAVIOR NA NABANGGIT AY INFLUENCES NG IBANG LAHI SA ATIN (SPANISH, CHINESE, ARAB CULTURES)

PERO SIYEMPRE MERON DING AUTHENTIC PINOY CULTURE. TULAD NA LANG NG PAGIGING JUDGMENTAL, FEELINGERA AT CHISMOSA.
=;)) =;)) =;))

And don't forget assumera at usyusera! Kasama ba ito, i am not sure. I added this because it rhymes
with feelingera. Hahaha.
Last edited by Prozac on Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Prozac

Postby Prozac » Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:05 am

Prozac wrote:
Beta wrote:Filipino parents competing with other filipino parents when it comes to their kids' accomplishments?

This is very common. But i think it is pretty universal. I know of a Thai family whose fathers are competing
with everything in life - socio-economic standing, lifestyle and children who were not only goodlooking but also intelligent.
The twist of the story the children end up being lovers in the end to spite their parents.

Prozac

Return to Miss Universe