WHAT HAPPENED TO THE MUO BRAND?

WHAT HAPPENED TO THE MUO BRAND?

Postby Zingostar » Thu May 06, 2021 2:20 am

I mean come on seriously. Miss Universe will for the first time for many decades be broadcast in the US on a relatively small and weaker status channel. The brand of Miss Universe is diminishing in relevance every year. And Shugarts insistance of dragging out boring segments, while rushing through swimsuit and evening gown makes Miss Universe look like Miss World! I rather watch any Miss Universe pageant pre 1999 than the later editions.. back then Miss Universe was exciting and prestigeous.

The demise started whether you like it or not with Donald Trump. He got rid of the preliminary competition scores, the top10 interviews, the judges scoring on screen. That started the demise.

In the 90s and earlier and also in the 2000s the host cities enjoyed being mentioned and panorama views from several locations was used. With the girls also being filmed in several locations. In 2019 the girl was basically locked up in a hotel. And Atlanta let the MUO host Miss Universe there under the condition that they did not mention Atlanta and did not show the host city. That is how weak the Miss Universe brand has become!

I want to be excited that Miss Universe is happening. But I know it will be another lackluster edition.

When you watch an edition of a televised competition from 1997 and think that production was modern and grand in comparison to a 2019 edition.. then that brand has got issues.

Zingostar
CORRESPONDENTS are OFFICIAL pageant REPORTERS & PHOTOGRAPHERS of Missosology.

Date of Birth: 21 Dec 2008
Profession: ........
Hobbies/Interests: ..........

Re: WHAT HAPPENED TO THE MUO BRAND?

Postby jhunz23 » Thu May 06, 2021 3:03 am

You have point there. I miss the show where scores are showed to the screen, and the judges inputs as well.

But showing less speaking segments in MU- will not guarantee "improvement" in their brand.
MW & MI did not have pageant for 2020th Edition. By Miss Universe pushing the 69th Edition of the Miss Universe, it means that they are doing the best of the circumstances.

I am happy for what IMG is doing. They may not have strong sponsors like before, but so all other pageants, their credibility still makes them the Olympics of Pageant!

Just be reminded that Victoria's Secret which is very glamorous in their fashion show for almost 3 decades, but now they SUNKED into oblivion, as VS failed to adopt and failed to progress, that is why the awaken audience criticize their plateau program.
jhunz23
PIONEERS are the most experienced members of Missosology.

Profession: teacher
Western Zodiac Sign: Leo
Chinese Zodiac: Rooster
Hobbies/Interests: reading

Postby Lebsheke0211 » Thu May 06, 2021 3:34 am

Miss Universe has lost its Glamour over the Years.

Miss Universe Thailand 2020 edition is the best we got since 2010.

I really miss the years where scores are shown in the screen. We as audience enjoyed tallying the scores hahahahahaha

I hate the opening speeches! obviously those are rehearsed and memorized. I scratch my head how they can get the top 10 from there.

I hate the continental groupings as well. It sucks away the excitement. It should be a battlefield like before.

I really hope no continental groupings this time around.
Lebsheke0211
Dark green members are SEMI-ACTIVE posters.

Real Life Name/Nick: Markuz
Date of Birth: 14 Sep 1980
Sexual Orientation: Bisexual
Profession: designer
Western Zodiac Sign: Virgo
Chinese Zodiac: Monkey
Hobbies/Interests: watching tv

Postby jhunz23 » Thu May 06, 2021 3:50 am

For me, Continental grouping for semifinals is fine

Even in Olympics or World Championship, continental classification is also considered to be more inclusive.

For example in Women's Volleyball, to qualify for 2020 Olympics, they will have Intercontinental Qualifier where they choose the Top seed of the 6 pools, then there will be African, Asian, South American, European, and North American Qualification where top seed of each continental qualifiers will have a spot in the Olympics.

So for me, Continental Groupings for Miss Universe is not really a bad idea.

Lebsheke0211 wrote:Miss Universe has lost its Glamour over the Years.

I really miss the years where scores are shown in the screen. We as audience enjoyed tallying the scores hahahahahaha

I hate the opening speeches! obviously those are rehearsed and memorized. I scratch my head how they can get the top 10 from there.

I hate the continental groupings as well. It sucks away the excitement. It should be a battlefield like before.

jhunz23

Profession: teacher
Hobbies/Interests: reading

Postby esperasave » Thu May 06, 2021 4:13 am

Well, what happened to Miss Canada Universe was a tremendous Strategy by all Filipino Glam Team to Bring her to the Centerstage of Miss Universe. By all means, they'll gonna Push her Ahead tomorrow their Official first day of Competition. She's in the League of Miss Thailand and Miss Philippines to deliver more Bombshell in the days ahead of the Competition and to the Finals.
esperasave
PROFESSIONALS are DIPLOMATIC and QUALITY posters.
PROFESSIONALS are DIPLOMATIC and QUALITY posters.

Real Life Name/Nick: esperas
Date of Birth: 30 Aug 1973
Sexual Orientation: Asexual
Profession: medical
Chinese Zodiac: Ox
Hobbies/Interests: internet surfing
Message: Keep believing in the power of beauty in the human person

Postby ajsy0203 » Thu May 06, 2021 4:44 am

Zingostar wrote:I mean come on seriously. Miss Universe will for the first time for many decades be broadcast in the US on a relatively small and weaker status channel. The brand of Miss Universe is diminishing in relevance every year. And Shugarts insistance of dragging out boring segments, while rushing through swimsuit and evening gown makes Miss Universe look like Miss World! I rather watch any Miss Universe pageant pre 1999 than the later editions.. back then Miss Universe was exciting and prestigeous.

The demise started whether you like it or not with Donald Trump. He got rid of the preliminary competition scores, the top10 interviews, the judges scoring on screen. That started the demise.

In the 90s and earlier and also in the 2000s the host cities enjoyed being mentioned and panorama views from several locations was used. With the girls also being filmed in several locations. In 2019 the girl was basically locked up in a hotel. And Atlanta let the MUO host Miss Universe there under the condition that they did not mention Atlanta and did not show the host city. That is how weak the Miss Universe brand has become!

I want to be excited that Miss Universe is happening. But I know it will be another lackluster edition.

When you watch an edition of a televised competition from 1997 and think that production was modern and grand in comparison to a 2019 edition.. then that brand has got issues.

I wanted the scores shown on TV but in the era of social media boom, bashing and spoilers rose into the occasion. I think the reason why preliminary scores not shown on TV anymore because of complaints from ND especially to the girls who scored at the bottom of the pack. If you aired the scores in 2019, excessive bashings against low scored beauties or over-hyped beauties will be prevailed again. Also I think the preliminary competition is not based on scores anymore but they reverted back to traditional secret balloting system?
ajsy0203
PAGEANT HISTORIANS are walking encyclopedias of pageantry.

Real Life Name/Nick: AJ
Date of Birth: 05 Sep 1986
Profession: Office Staff
Chinese Zodiac: Tiger
Hobbies/Interests: Teaching

Postby ajsy0203 » Thu May 06, 2021 4:47 am

jhunz23 wrote:
For me, Continental grouping for semifinals is fine

Even in Olympics or World Championship, continental classification is also considered to be more inclusive.

For example in Women's Volleyball, to qualify for 2020 Olympics, they will have Intercontinental Qualifier where they choose the Top seed of the 6 pools, then there will be African, Asian, South American, European, and North American Qualification where top seed of each continental qualifiers will have a spot in the Olympics.

So for me, Continental Groupings for Miss Universe is not really a bad idea.

Lebsheke0211 wrote:Miss Universe has lost its Glamour over the Years.

This system prevented from continental wipeout like Asian wipeout in 2009 and Africa wipeout in 2013-2014 and not being accused of "racist". I think most of the pageants recently used this type of system although the girls from Americas are the biggest "victims" of this system.
ajsy0203

Real Life Name/Nick: AJ
Date of Birth: 05 Sep 1986
Profession: Office Staff
Hobbies/Interests: Teaching

Postby sephie » Thu May 06, 2021 5:27 am

Zingostar wrote:I mean come on seriously. Miss Universe will for the first time for many decades be broadcast in the US on a relatively small and weaker status channel. The brand of Miss Universe is diminishing in relevance every year. And Shugarts insistance of dragging out boring segments, while rushing through swimsuit and evening gown makes Miss Universe look like Miss World! I rather watch any Miss Universe pageant pre 1999 than the later editions.. back then Miss Universe was exciting and prestigeous.

I COMPLETELY AGREE WITH YOU. This is what I have voiced in my thread

Good Points
1. IMG has changed direction to make the contest more relatable and relevant. In the words of Sovereign, IMG packaged Miss Universe in the perspective of a woman versus how Trump looked at MUO

2. I think quality candidates have improved since more accomplished women are joining the contest

3. People might not agree but continental selection is a good move by the organization. This has improved diversity in the selection

Points of Improvement
1. Changing local franchises was done by MUO to extend their brand presence and have an additional revenue stream.
This is what they happened to the Ph, they have a local organization that they can tap to get sponsors.

Personally i don't think this is working so they must pivot and adjust

Bad Points
1. In its attempt to make the women look accomplished, production was sacrificed. We cannot stress this too much
They are following the Miss America route which is outdated and boring BUT RELEVANT

2. Decline in Branding
They are not maximizing their winners and im not talking about Zozi. This is more on Iris to Catriona. These are phenomenal women that were stuck in their NY apartment

Overall, I think MUO should bring back the contest's entertainment value. If Mc Clain said that there are new segments, cant wait to see it

sephie
MISSOSOLOGISTS are OFFICIALLY part of the MISSOSOLOGY FAMILY.

Hobbies/Interests: beauty pageants

Postby samsie0104 » Thu May 06, 2021 8:57 am

Tots Agree!

Things I hate:

1. Stages since 2015 have the same template.
2. Steve as Host.
3. Speeches after they are called in Top 20. and Continental Groups.
4. Opening Speech (for what ?!)
5. Shortened segment for both Swimsuit and Gown. Give the girls a minute to showcase what they have worked hard for.
6. Scores not shown. MGI made it very entertaining for viewer for showing scores.

Things I suggest:

1. Diversify the stage design. Miss Universe 2013- Miss Universe 2015 got the best stage designs.
2. Scrap the continental groupings. Make it fair for all.
3. Stop the short talk after they are being called in Top 20 or stop the Opening Speech. Make a Segment where they can be interviewed like the Top 10 in the 90's.
4. More air time for Swimsuit and Gown.
5. Stop the Final speech. Make it just a final walk and look like the 2015 Final Look.
samsie0104

Real Life Name/Nick: Samsie
Date of Birth: 04 Feb 1988
Profession: Student
Chinese Zodiac: Rabbit
Hobbies/Interests: Dancing

Postby pippo93 » Thu May 06, 2021 10:13 am

THE PROBLEM IS THAT UNDER IMG MISS UNIVERSE HAS BECOME BORING.

IMG HAS FORGOTTEN THAT MISS UNIVERSE IS AN ENTERTAINMENT PROGRAM. AND IF ON 3 HOURS OF SHOW, 2.5 HOURS WE ARE FORCED TO ALWAYS HEAR THE SAME STEREOTYPED AND REHEARSED SPEECH EVERY YEAR, IS NOT ANYMORE AN ENTERTAINMENT SHOW, BUT IS ONLY A BORING TALK SHOW.

I LOVE THE IDEA OF HEAR THE VOICE OF GIRLS MUCH MORE, BUT NOW IS TOO MUCH. IT'S IMPOSSIBLE TO ENJOY A SHOW IN WHICH ONLY 10 MINUTES GLOBALLY ARE DEDICATE TO SS AND EG SEGMENTS AND REST WE HEAR ONLY SPEECH SPEECH SPEECH. AND BORING SPEECH. BECAUSE EVERY YEAR WE SEE ALWAYS THE SAME THING, SUCH ES "EMPOWER", "STRONG", "DEDICATED".
THE IMPRESSION IS THAT THERE IS A LACK OF SPONTANEITY. AND YEAR AFTER YEAR PEOPLE ARE GETTING ANNOYED. WE WANT HEAR LESS POLITICAL AND MORE FUNNY ANSWERS, LIKE MISS ARUBA ON TELEMUNDO YESTERDAY, WHO GAVE AN AMAZIG ANSWER TO THE FINAL QUESTION OF MISS UNIVERSE 1998

ANOTHER ANNOYING THINGS IS THE STAGE. WITH THE EXCEPTION OF MISS UNIVERSE 2018, I THINK THE STAGE ARE BORING. THE DESIGN ARE GOOD, BUT I HATE THE DARK ATMOSPHER, TOO MUCH BLACK/GREY/BLUE. MISS UNIVERSE IS A PARTY, WE NEED A COLORFUL ATMOSPHERE.

ANOTHER BIG LOSS IS THE ELIMINATION OF PROFESSIONAL SHOOTING (LAST USED IN 2015). IT WAS SO FUNNY NOT ONLY TO SEE THE FADIL BERISHA THEME OF THAT YEAR, BUT ALSO THE WAIT TO SEE THE EG PHOTO WAS EXCITING.

SO I LOVE THE INCLUSIVITY, BUT WE NEED TO RETURN TO A MORE GLAMOROUS AND FUNNY COMPETITION. BECAUSE WE DON'T WE SHOULD NOT FORGET THAT AFTER ALL MISS UNIVERSE IS A BEAUTY COMPETITION, IT IS RIGHT THAT IT EVOLVES OTHERWISE IT WOULD DIE, BUT IT MUST NOT DENATURE ITSELF. THE RESULT IS THAT THE COMPETITION IS NOT ONLY LOSING ITS IDENTITY, BUT IT IS LOSING ITS HISTORIC FANS IN THE ATTEMPT TO ATTRACT A NEW SLICE OF SPECTATORS WITH POOR RESULTS.

THE ENTIRE FORMAT SHPULD BE REVISED. IT'S TOTALLY DESTRUCTIVE THAT AFTER THE TOP 20 ANNOUNCEMENT WITH A SHORT INTERVIEW TO HAVE ALSO A OPENING STATEMENT WITH REHEARSED SPEECHES FULL OF OBVIOUSNESS!

WE SHOULD RETURN TO THE 90S FORMULA BECAUSE IT WAS THE MOST BALANCED:
TOP20 ANNOUNCEMENT (WITH NO SPECHEES BETWEEN THE ANNOUNCEMENT OF EACH GIRLS BECAUSE THAT KILLS THE EXCITMENT)
TOP20 SHORT INTERVIEW
TOP20 PROPER SS COMPETITION
TOP10 ANNOUNCEMENT
TOP10 SHORT VIDEO PRESENTATION OF THE GIRLS
TOP10 PROPER EG COMPETITION
TOP5 ANNOUNCEMENT
TOP5 Q&A
TOP5 FINAL WORD
TOP5 FINAL LOOK
CROWNING

pippo93
AMBASSADORS represent their country.
AMBASSADORS represent their country.

Date of Birth: 29 Sep 1993
Sexual Orientation: -----------
Profession: Medical Doctor, Resident in Nephrology
Western Zodiac Sign: Libra
Hobbies/Interests: Beauty Pageants

Postby Virginia Dalisay » Thu May 06, 2021 1:04 pm

90's edition is the best edition.
Please bring back the glory days!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7RpU1BXI8Vs
[youtube]7RpU1BXI8Vs[/youtube]

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=c7_1IhZw6Mo
[youtube]c7_1IhZw6Mo[/youtube]

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ad_KhHhKmoY
[youtube]ad_KhHhKmoY[/youtube]

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=whhFnv3Dch4
[youtube]whhFnv3Dch4[/youtube]

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qwI_LSqrVAs
[youtube]qwI_LSqrVAs[/youtube]

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BRlRFgvLkrY
[youtube]BRlRFgvLkrY[/youtube]

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7f0sqMTlPh4
[youtube]7f0sqMTlPh4[/youtube]

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MwUdK6jVU6M
[youtube]MwUdK6jVU6M[/youtube]

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BBR3Yuru2cU
[youtube]BBR3Yuru2cU[/youtube]

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8-baBB1YagQ
[youtube]8-baBB1YagQ[/youtube]

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9ov4FQ4ZLJc
[youtube]9ov4FQ4ZLJc[/youtube]

ImageImage
Virginia Dalisay
SUPER STARS are POPULAR or CHARISMATIC posters.
SUPER STARS are POPULAR or CHARISMATIC posters.

Date of Birth: 14 Feb 1991
Sexual Orientation: Gay
Profession: Archeologist
Hobbies/Interests: Live the life you love and Love the life you live.
Message: Never be a prisoner of your past. It was just a lesson, not a life sentence.

Postby Jayah » Thu May 06, 2021 2:26 pm

And it has the shortest activities now, just one week.
Jayah

Real Life Name/Nick: Jaya
Profession: Singer
Hobbies/Interests: Diving

Postby rjyuggy10 » Thu May 06, 2021 3:49 pm

I only tune in after the opening statement.I change the channel during Top 20 announcement and the opening statement. Too much time wasted on those segments.
rjyuggy10

Date of Birth: 10 Jul 1992
Sexual Orientation: Not sure
Profession: chef
Western Zodiac Sign: Gemini
Chinese Zodiac: Monkey
Hobbies/Interests: farming, pageants

Postby fortela » Thu May 06, 2021 5:21 pm

I HEARD IN PHILIPPINE NEWS THAT IN JUST A MATTER OF 2 DAYS ALL TICKETS TO FINALS WERE SOLD OUT INCLUDING THE 2500 DOLLAR TICKET VIP..ONLY A FEW FILIPINOS WERE ABLE TO OBTAIN TICKETS SO I GUESS MOST TICKETS WERE BOUGHT BY WEALTHY WESTERNERS..IT SHOWS YOU HOW POPULAR MISS UNIVERSE IS BUT I AGREE THAT IF THEY DO NOT CROWN A UNIVERSALLY BEAUTIFUL GIRL THIS YEAR, MISS UNIVERSE MIGHT GO DOWN THE DRAIN
fortela

Real Life Name/Nick: ninen
Profession: paralegal
Western Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Chinese Zodiac: Rat
Hobbies/Interests: beauty pageants

Postby vinusya » Fri May 07, 2021 12:32 am

Thais and Indonesian fans, stop sending Miss Canada a photo and pretending to be a Filipino!!! Stop the dirty publicity like the tactics if the minor pageant we know!
If everyone can be a beauty queen, what is hardwork?
Maybe there is no hardwork, only surgeries ?
vinusya
GRAPHIC DESIGNERS are creative minds & beautifiers of the forum.
GRAPHIC DESIGNERS are creative minds & beautifiers of the forum.

Real Life Name/Nick: Nawatt
Date of Birth: 11 Aug 1994
Profession: Red Haired Model
Hobbies/Interests: Net Surfing
Message: A queen shouldn't be lazy going to the gym, caring, reading and learning.

Postby XAMURAI » Fri May 07, 2021 2:45 am

fortela wrote:I HEARD IN PHILIPPINE NEWS THAT IN JUST A MATTER OF 2 DAYS ALL TICKETS TO FINALS WERE SOLD OUT INCLUDING THE 2500 DOLLAR TICKET VIP..ONLY A FEW FILIPINOS WERE ABLE TO OBTAIN TICKETS SO I GUESS MOST TICKETS WERE BOUGHT BY WEALTHY WESTERNERS..IT SHOWS YOU HOW POPULAR MISS UNIVERSE IS BUT I AGREE THAT IF THEY DO NOT CROWN A UNIVERSALLY BEAUTIFUL GIRL THIS YEAR, MISS UNIVERSE MIGHT GO DOWN THE DRAIN

What makes you think that only wealthy Westerners are capable of buying the expensive/exclusive tickets of Miss Universe? [-X
My Interview for GMA Western Visayas

[youtube]0UHn679-4P4[/youtube]
XAMURAI
ADMINS are OFFICIAL staffers of Missosology.
ADMINS are OFFICIAL staffers of Missosology.

Real Life Name/Nick: XAMURAI
Date of Birth: 01 Jul 1979
Profession: Company Employee and Entrepreneur
Western Zodiac Sign: Cancer
Hobbies/Interests: Basketball and Camping

Postby mario_venum_rock » Fri May 07, 2021 12:45 pm

I agree with y'all

Things that I hate

1. Comtimemtal grouping: enough of " diversity and inclusivity " card, the mere fact that they're allowed to have their piece of timeslot to show off their performance on stage and impress the judges on closed doors interview then that is enough proof that they were treated equally despite of their race.

2. Too much semi finalist - to 15-16 is enough, 30-45 seconds of exposure everytime they announce a semi finalist is a waste of airtime

3. Too much talk - from Semi finalist interview, to small talks in between, to opening speech, to recorded videos of top 10, to another small talks, to top 5 interview, then final question and answer to finals words haaaaaiiiiissssstttt!!!! this is beauty pageant!! not an oration olympics

4. Different designs of swimsuits : come one! this is still a competition! let them compete wearing the same cut of swimsuit for us to see who are the finest of them all.

5. Boring Performances or music: ( except for NEYO, Boys to men, Seal ) we wanna see performance or hear music that are appropriate for swimsuit competition! enough of lyrical dance and music during swimsuit competition like in 2015! enough of drunk performers like Fergie, enough of Singers who cant belt out the song like Ally Brooke! its better if they used the original music without live performance. bring back the appropriate and great performers in Miss Universe like the Bond in Miss Universe 2003, Lady Gaga for Miss Universe 2008 swimsuit, John Legend on Miss Universe 2010 EG and claudia LEitte for Miss Universe 2011 swimsuit!!!!

6. Aitime during Evening gown and swimsuit: try watching the old editions of Miss Universe, usually girl have atleast 20 seconds exposure which is enough to show how they twirl, they pose and emote on stage, now ladies can barely have 10 seconds of exposure! if they can alot 30 seconds for small talks during the semi final announcement why cant they give EG and SS the same level of airtime since its the most relevant part of the competition???!!!!

7: Boring runway choreography: I miss the old editions where ladies can do multiple tricks on stage, remember the swimsuit choreography from 2003-2008? thats the kind of choreography that I miss! you can have a full visibility of their body and performance, but now, the ladies have to walk straight from Point A to Point B.

8. Elimination x background music: haist! gone are the days when Orente Elimination could instantly increase your heart rate once you hear it. I miss the overwhelming joy when your country girl made it to next round and the suicidal sadness when her journey ended

9. Stage: enough of trying so hard to make it so modern!! if you cant give us the festivity feels of Miss Universe stages during the 90's atlest give us the gigantic stages during 2000s

Last edited by mario_venum_rock on Sat May 08, 2021 2:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImage
mario_venum_rock
ENTERTAINERS are FUNNY people.
ENTERTAINERS are FUNNY people.

Real Life Name/Nick: moi austin pan
Date of Birth: 12 Dec 1987
Profession: CREDIT OFFICER / SKIP TRACER
Western Zodiac Sign: Sagittarius
Chinese Zodiac: Rabbit
Hobbies/Interests: body piercing and aurabels keme

Postby Zingostar » Fri May 07, 2021 12:53 pm

rjyuggy10 wrote:I only tune in after the opening statement.I change the channel during Top 20 announcement and the opening statement. Too much time wasted on those segments.

I agree!
Zingostar

Postby Zingostar » Fri May 07, 2021 1:39 pm

LETS BE REAL.... WE HAVE NOT SEEN GRAND AND PERFECT BIG OPENINGS OF THE PAGEANT OR PRODUCTIONS LIKE THE ONE IN THE VIDEO BELOW FOR OVER 2 DECADES...

THE PRODUCTION IS SO LOW THESE DAYS..

[youtube]MwUdK6jVU6M[/youtube]
Zingostar

Return to Miss Universe