RIGGED MISS INDIA!!! WHAT R WE DOING ON THIS FORUM?

Forum rules
Welcome to the India Section of Missosology Forum. This section is frequently visited by Miss India Officials and ofcourse by Miss Indias themselves.
Further , Many Miss India aspirants who visit the forum are the content of discussion below. In such circumstances the moderators won't allow any kind of bashing or use of abusive language.
Please make sure that your posts are above profanity. Repeated offence may earn you a permanent Ban.

Enjoy !

Disclaimer
1. Owner or Moderators are not responsible for any member's personal comments/behaviours in the community.
2. http://www.missosology.org or http://worldofmissindia.blogspot.com/ does not take responsibilty of the authencity of the information posted by posters. Reader's discretion is advised.
3. This forum is directly affiliated only to I AM SHE org but NOT to the Femina Miss India.
4. The Missosology Miss India Hot Picks are purely a fan based list of favourites which has got NO influence on the final results of the main pageants.

RIGGED MISS INDIA!!! WHAT R WE DOING ON THIS FORUM?

Postby saraswan » Mon May 09, 2011 7:35 am

http://jameskillough.wordpress.com/2011 ... iss-india/
CHECK THIS OUT GUYS!!!! and let me know what u think!!! i've lost all interest in miss india because of what happened this yr. is it really a rigged pageant? ~X( ~X( all these predictions that we make on this forum are all a waste of time!!! when the winners have been decided already!! pls someone tell me it is otherwise!! someone tell me its not really rigged!!! :%(( :%((

this is a free forum, and i'm so happy that i can express myself here!!

saraswan
INTERMEDIATES are EVOLVING posters.

Date of Birth: 14 Sep 1968
Profession: cookie maker
Hobbies/Interests: baking, pagentry

Re: RIGGED MISS INDIA!!! WHAT R WE DOING ON THIS FORUM?

Postby Jayant » Mon May 09, 2011 7:41 am

:-O :-O :-O :-O :-O :-O :-O :-O :-O :-O

Rigging a pageant seems so wrong, but to be honest; at least the most beautfull girls won in 1993 and not the ones who answered their questions the best.
Jayant
AMBASSADORS represent their country.
AMBASSADORS represent their country.

Date of Birth: 06 Jun 1966
Profession: Student
Western Zodiac Sign: Scorpio
Chinese Zodiac: Dragon
Hobbies/Interests: Life&Style

Postby saraswan » Mon May 09, 2011 7:53 am

u mean to say namrata was the most beautiful of the lot!!! read the blog properly!! let me quote mr james from his next blog "I honestly didn’t anticipate the hits from the Galliano post to be that many. I thought that would happen from scandalized Indians upset that the 1993 Miss India pageant was rigged, but there was nary a peep from them about that. Hits to the blog remained completely flat the day before yesterday, when I finally came clean about the rigging after long years of suffering in silence, guilt strafing my soul like fighter jets over Taliban strongholds in Helmand Province. I’m apparently the only one who is still haunted by the outraged wails of gorgeous, long-legged Punjabi lasses backstage behind that awful peacock set when they realized their chance at the crown had been stolen by the daughter of some local industrialist, who allegedly bought it for her. Oh, well."
DONT TELL ME THAT THE CROWN CAN BE BOUGHT NOW!!!??? HOW MUCH DO THEY ASK FOR?? OR DO THEY OpENLY AUCTION IT OUT??
saraswan

Postby aristrocrat » Mon May 09, 2011 8:00 am

And this is being come out now
publicity stunt
Once you have felt the Indian dust, you will never be free of it."
aristrocrat
MISSOSOLOGISTS are OFFICIALLY part of the MISSOSOLOGY FAMILY.

Date of Birth: 10 Nov 1988
Profession: student
Hobbies/Interests: reading and pageantry
Message: We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit.

Postby abcde1 » Mon May 09, 2011 9:33 am

Disgusting. What is even sadder is that we need and American to blow the whistle. Why do we accept such injustice? Are we Indians still mental slaves that those in power can so easily hoodwink us? This is a pathetic state of affairs.
abcde1
Dark green members are SEMI-ACTIVE posters.

Date of Birth: 21 Dec 2008
Hobbies/Interests: Nothing

Postby beautyhunter » Mon May 09, 2011 10:03 am

I dont mind rigging as far as the winners are deserving...like this year Kanishtha & Hasleen, both where the best and excelled in every part of the competetion... :)>-
SEX KITTEN 2004!!!
beautyhunter
PAGEANT HISTORIANS are walking encyclopedias of pageantry.
PAGEANT HISTORIANS are walking encyclopedias of pageantry.

Date of Birth: 03 Apr 1983
Profession: biotechnologist
Western Zodiac Sign: Aries
Hobbies/Interests: infrastructure, skyscrapers, beautypageants

Postby Silky » Mon May 09, 2011 10:10 am

If the outcome is perfect like the girls we had last decade..I won't complain a bit! :-j
Silky
WEB architect & developer responsible for maintaining Missosology.Org

Real Life Name/Nick: $ ! L X `/
Date of Birth: 12 Dec 1989
Western Zodiac Sign: Sagittarius
Hobbies/Interests: Beauty n Pageants!

Postby shinata » Mon May 09, 2011 11:40 am

Maybe this could be true or maybe not... Madhu Sapre told times of india- pradeep guha and femina to change the ways of miss india and hold a swimwear round.. etc.. it was also madhu who told Namrata to take part as they were best friends... anyways im glad Namrata won.. shes very beautiful... and atleast she managed to place in Both international pageants she was sent to..

: Top 6 finalist Miss Universe 1993
: 1st runner up Miss Asia Pacific 1993, best in evening gown
shinata
VIP MEMBERS are REAL LIFE candidates or PAGEANT ORGANIZERS.

Real Life Name/Nick: Shinata Sangha International Icon
Date of Birth: 31 Aug 1989
Sexual Orientation: Asexual
Profession: GOOGLE ME 'SHINATA SANGHA'
Western Zodiac Sign: Virgo
Hobbies/Interests: Partying! Styling! Beauty Pageants! Holidays

Postby Jon A » Mon May 09, 2011 12:19 pm

Interesting. It was fascinating because I don't think there was a girl there who was comparable to Namrata Shirodkar, who I think is one of the most beautiful Miss Indias ever crowned (as were her runners up -- Karminder Kaur and Pooja Batra). Rigged? Really? Who were the great beauties who were passed over for these girls? These things are both entirely believable and entirely unbelievable.

Also, if they really wanted to rig it, why on earth would they have given the crown to an unknown, borderline "did not make it past the prelims" Sushmita Sen over the "once in a lifetime" Aishwarya in 1994?

I hope that as times have changed in India, the professionalism also has. After all, they started to show the real scores live on TV as well...

People always talk of rigging, and it may well happen. But sometimes it doesn't, even when it appears that way. In 1999, Vir Sanghvi, the Editor of Hindustan Times, wrote a very interesting article about how he had been a judge at Miss India, and he was quite surprised to see Yukta in 2nd place, because all the judges had voted for Gul, several liked Shivangi, and a few of the other girls had been mentioned, but not Yukta. He said that Yukta, while not a #1 choice for anyone had been 2nd or 3rd for most, and had thus snuck ahead of other girls who had been higher rated by some of the judges. Afterwards, when he saw how much Yukta had improved leading up to MW, he was flabbergasted, and started to think that maybe he should have picked her in 1st place. When he went to talk to Yukta to congratulate her, she apparently called him on his crap, saying, "Really? i thought you preferred Gul." The whole article was a homage to the "system" -- that somehow, even though individual judges may feel otherwise, the system as a whole works, and the best girls come through -- according to Vir, it reaffirmed his faith in Miss India and TOI.
Also, a lot of people think it was rigged in 2007, but I know one of the judges that year very well, and she told me that it wasn't that way at all. There was a lot of disagreement on who the top 5 should be, and who the 2 RUs should be, and in what position, but from the prelims, it was very clear to the judges that Sarah Jane was the obvious winner. She just stood out with her personality and confidence, whereas in person, the other girls seemed nervous and girly in comparison.
So who knows. I hope that things stay honest, that is paramount, whether we have winners we like or not.
Jon A
PAGEANT EXPERTS are MASTERS & PROFESSIONAL ANALYSTS of pageantry.

Date of Birth: 19 Jan 1973
Profession: consultant
Western Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Hobbies/Interests: Reading, Travelling, Pageants

Postby Ramesh » Mon May 09, 2011 1:53 pm

No one really knows who participated in femina miss india 1993,other than the winners
Namrata Shirodkar-miss india universe
Karminder Kaur-miss india world
Pooja Batra-miss india asia-pacific
The yr 1993 didnt even have a proper judging and scoring process,it all started in the yr 1994 ,in the femina mag dated feb 23,1994 the complete process is given.
Ramesh
PAGEANT APPRENTICES are novice experts & connoisseurs.

Date of Birth: 20 Dec 2008
Hobbies/Interests: ----------------------------

Postby shinata » Mon May 09, 2011 2:33 pm

**Pageantry** wrote:No one really knows who participated in femina miss india 1993,other than the winners
Namrata Shirodkar-miss india universe
Karminder Kaur-miss india world
Pooja Batra-miss india asia-pacific
The yr 1993 didnt even have a proper judging and scoring process,it all started in the yr 1994 ,in the femina mag dated feb 23,1994 the complete process is given.

Pageantry here is a list off some of the Miss India 1993 contestants apart from the winners Namrata, Pooja and Karminder (Namrata also won the Miss Photogenic title in 1993)..

miss india 1993 contestants

: Mehar Bhasin (a top indian model. she made the top5 and finished in 4th place also won Miss Beautiful hair, Miss 10)
: Shefali Talwar ( a former top indian model.. she won Miss Delhi 1992, some sites say she entered miss india in 1992, others say 1993 need this confirmed)
: Shalini Singh
: Sanchita Tyagi
: Shalu Wadhwa
: Tanaz Colabawala
shinata

Real Life Name/Nick: Shinata Sangha International Icon
Date of Birth: 31 Aug 1989
Profession: GOOGLE ME 'SHINATA SANGHA'
Western Zodiac Sign: Virgo
Hobbies/Interests: Partying! Styling! Beauty Pageants! Holidays

Postby rahulmitra1000 » Mon May 09, 2011 3:23 pm

Silky wrote:If the outcome is perfect like the girls we had last decade..I won't complain a bit! :-j

i totally second this......
if we hv winners like nicole..n mana...n hasleen n KD......then who cares...rigged or nt........................

rahulmitra1000
CORRESPONDENTS are OFFICIAL pageant REPORTERS & PHOTOGRAPHERS of Missosology.
CORRESPONDENTS are OFFICIAL pageant REPORTERS & PHOTOGRAPHERS of Missosology.

Date of Birth: 09 Jul 1988
Western Zodiac Sign: Taurus
Hobbies/Interests: net surfing,pagents,etc...

Postby jkillough » Mon May 09, 2011 5:08 pm

Thanks for reading, everyone. And to the people who are saying this is a publicity stunt, that isn't accurate. We have a number of running jokes on the PFC blog, one of which is how we shamelessly do things to grab readers's attention; for instance, last week's joke was putting up pictures of shirtless hunks. For a long time it was pictures of Amanda Seyfried's breasts, then it was imagining Gaddafi as a black drag queen.

The true purpose of the blog is stated in the subhead at the top of the page, "Everything has a story." Most of our readers are Westerners, and this is a fascinating story for them. I am building up an archive of my recollections of India, which, make no mistake about it, is a country I am passionately in love with.

I have added an important clarification to this story in a comment reply to a reader. I do not believe the 1993 Miss India Pageant was rigged for financial reasons. Please take the time to read it:

http://jameskillough.wordpress.com/2011 ... omment-584

Again, thanks for reading.

All the best,

James Killough
jkillough

Real Life Name/Nick: James
Date of Birth: 21 Jul 1968
Profession: Film Maker
Hobbies/Interests: Film, Writing, Blogging

Postby abcde1 » Mon May 09, 2011 7:40 pm

Its not about the fixed winner being an able candidate. If the candidate was able, then there would be no need to fix it. The point isn't who won. The point is that the pageant was fixed in the first place.

We Indians are emerging from our version of the Dark Ages. For the first time in recent history, we are a major, self governed presence on the world stage. As we get noticed at the global stage, we need to be take a long hard look at ourselves as a people. What image do we want to present to the world? What sort of a society do we want to live in? Are we capable of running our country effectively? Are we capable of governing our society effectively?

If a pageant is fixed or not, if our society is corrupt or not, is a sign of how we view ourselves and what we, as a people, are willing to accept. When we allow a pageant to be fixed and do nothing about it, we give permission to those in power, who mind you, we put in power in the first place, to hoodwink us, to disrespect us, to disrespect our friends, to disrespect our peers and for a lot of people on this forum, to disrespect the industry that we work in.

We ALLOW them to cheat us, to rob us, to abuse us and get away with it scot free. Why do we put up with it? Why do we allow it to happen? How many of you have been in an abusive relationship or known someone who has been in one? How many of you have read such stories in news papers? Because THIS, is exactly what it is.

Everyone 'in the know', knows it was fixed and yet, nobody stood up against it. What are you going to tell your children tomorrow? Are any of you ever going to let your daughters enter Miss India, get their hopes up, sweat blood for it, just to have Femina tell them, 'So sorry, but you see, you never had a chance. Tragic, we know, but, hey, come back next year!'. I'd like to see that happen. I'd like to know what you say to them at that point of time.

Irony of ironies? We needed an AMERICAN to blow the fucking whistle.
abcde1

Postby Jon A » Tue May 10, 2011 12:58 am

jkillough wrote:Thanks for reading, everyone. And to the people who are saying this is a publicity stunt, that isn't accurate. We have a number of running jokes on the PFC blog, one of which is how we shamelessly do things to grab readers's attention; for instance, last week's joke was putting up pictures of shirtless hunks. For a long time it was pictures of Amanda Seyfried's breasts, then it was imagining Gaddafi as a black drag queen.

The true purpose of the blog is stated in the subhead at the top of the page, "Everything has a story." Most of our readers are Westerners, and this is a fascinating story for them. I am building up an archive of my recollections of India, which, make no mistake about it, is a country I am passionately in love with.

I have added an important clarification to this story in a comment reply to a reader. I do not believe the 1993 Miss India Pageant was rigged for financial reasons. Please take the time to read it:

All the best,

James Killough

Hmm... James, what a treat to have you here. I've always loved your blog and this little blob of salaciousness makes it even better!
It is sad to hear what happened, and I do hope that things have changed for the better with more public attention to the contest. In more recent years, they have been telecast live with live scores being shown, and perhaps TOI was also stung by this rumor, because for the next several years, the Femina issue featuring the new Miss Indias would show the entire scoring sheet, from the prelims to the final round against each judges' name. They no longer do so, but at least for a few years there (94-99, which I believe was the last year they did so), we must suspect that the results were kosher. Ditto for 2000 and 2001, where there was universal approval of the results, with Lara and Priyanka Chopra winning and the scores being shown live on TV.
Did you see this year's contest? I am not going to say anything about whether it was rigged or not, but I have never seen such a positive judges' reaction when Kanishta Dhankar was announced Miss India.

I hope you will visit here more often.... :=p
Jon A

Postby Silky » Tue May 10, 2011 1:20 am

Jon A ..I am not going to say anything about whether it was rigged or not, but I have never seen such a positive judges' reaction when Kanishta Dhankar was announced Miss India.

Exactly..the judges behaviour was so genuine..its too hard to believe that the contest was rigged n having said that..it looked like the girls advanced on sheer merits after the Top 5 announcement ..so I hope n wish this news to b a hoax..I so love Femina as a team!!
Silky

Postby missdharavi » Tue May 10, 2011 2:44 am

Offering some clarity -
The pageant wasn't rigged but there was a tabulation error. 1993 was the year of firsts. Madhu Sapre had just placed 3rd in the Miss Universe contest and she came back and the pageant, which had literally no attention, suddenly had a television audience. And for the first time computers were being used to tabulate the results. We're not talking about our fancy high speed devices we use now days. We're talking about 1993, where only a handful, and you can count them on your fingertips had computers. Computers that required a lot of effort. COmputers that no one knew how to use.
This btw is NOT a new controversy. And what exactly transpired was that Karminder Kaur (NOT Namrata Shirodkar) was erroneously eliminated from the Top 5. This has been documented by the media. Her scores were mis-calculated. Not to mention that it wasn't a simple add all the judges scores and then divide by the number of judges. Femina was using the Miss Universe system as there was only one Miss India, the rep to Miss WOrld and Miss International were essentially runners up. The lowest score and the highest score given by a judge are eliminated to avoid one judge from affecting the results of the competition. And the scores of the remaining judges are averaged out. Add that to a 1993 computer, with people who've never used computers in their life and you got yourself a blooper. Karminder Kaur was called back on stage after being eliminated since the error was caught and the competition then took place as needed to. The scores of the final round were manually tabulated to avoid any further glitches. Karminder went onto place 2nd and represent India at Miss World. Namrata Shirodkar, undoubtedly the prettier placed in the Top 6 at Miss Universe and was 2nd Runners Up at Miss Asia.Of course the hotch potch received its share of talk in 1993. Femina published the indivual scores of the each contestant given by each judge to put the controversy to rest. This also started a trend where every year Femina/TOI would publish the scores to avoid any claims of rigging especially when beauty is subjective and there are bound to be people who think the pageant is rigged. The only questionable loss is Mehar Bhasin, who I personally don't find attractive, but many do. And She went on to become the face of Revlon.

* I posted this on James' blog as well*
Last edited by missdharavi on Tue May 10, 2011 3:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
missdharavi
PROFESSIONALS are DIPLOMATIC and QUALITY posters.

Date of Birth: 19 Jun 1981
Profession: doctor
Hobbies/Interests: pageants

Postby Jon A » Tue May 10, 2011 2:59 am

missdharavi wrote:Offering some clarity -
The pageant wasn't rigged but there was a tabulation error. 1993 was the year of firsts. Madhu Sapre had just placed 3rd in the Miss Universe contest and she came back and the pageant, which had literally not attention, suddenly had a television audience. And for the first time computers were being used to tabulate the results. We're not talking about our fancy high speed devices we use now days. We're talking about 1993, where only a handful, and you can count them on your fingertips had computers. Computers that required a lot of effort. COmputers that no one knew how to use.
This btw is NOT a new controversy. And what exactly transpired was that Karminder Kaur (NOT Namrata Shirodkar) was erroneously eliminated from the Top 5. This has been documented by the media. Her scores were mis-calculated. Not to mention that it wasn't a simple add all the judges scores and then divide by the number of judges. Femina was using the Miss Universe system as there was only one Miss India, the rep to Miss WOrld and Miss International were essentially runners up. The lowest score and the highest score given by a judge are eliminated to avoid one judge from affecting the results of the competition. And the scores of the remaining judges are average. Add that to a 1993 computer, with people who've never used computers in their life and you got yourself a blooper. Karminder Kaur was called back on stage after being eliminated since the error was caught and the competition then took place as needed to. The scores of the final round were manually tabulated to avoid any further glitches. Karminder went onto place 2nd and represent India at Miss World. Namrata Shirodkar, undoubtedly the prettier placed in the Top 6 at Miss Universe and was 2nd Runners Up at Miss India.Of course the hotch potch received its share of talk in 1993. Femina published the indivual scores of the each contestants given by each judge to put the controversy to rest. This also started a trend where every year Femina/TOI would publish the scores to avoid any claims of rigging especially when beauty is subjective and there are bound to be people who think the pageant is rigged. The only questionable loss is Mehar Bhasin, who I personally don't find attractive, but many do. And She went on to become the face of Revlon.

Excellent!! Good to know, thanks Miss D! :7
Jon A

Postby Silky » Tue May 10, 2011 3:06 am

The pageant wasn't rigged but there was a tabulation error. 1993 was the year of firsts. Madhu Sapre had just placed 3rd in the Miss Universe contest and she came back and the pageant, which had literally not attention, suddenly had a television audience. And for the first time computers were being used to tabulate the results. We're not talking about our fancy high speed devices we use now days. We're talking about 1993, where only a handful, and you can count them on your fingertips had computers. Computers that required a lot of effort. COmputers that no one knew how to use.
This btw is NOT a new controversy. And what exactly transpired was that Karminder Kaur (NOT Namrata Shirodkar) was erroneously eliminated from the Top 5. This has been documented by the media. Her scores were mis-calculated. Not to mention that it wasn't a simple add all the judges scores and then divide by the number of judges. Femina was using the Miss Universe system as there was only one Miss India, the rep to Miss WOrld and Miss International were essentially runners up. The lowest score and the highest score given by a judge are eliminated to avoid one judge from affecting the results of the competition. And the scores of the remaining judges are average. Add that to a 1993 computer, with people who've never used computers in their life and you got yourself a blooper. Karminder Kaur was called back on stage after being eliminated since the error was caught and the competition then took place as needed to. The scores of the final round were manually tabulated to avoid any further glitches. Karminder went onto place 2nd and represent India at Miss World. Namrata Shirodkar, undoubtedly the prettier placed in the Top 6 at Miss Universe and was 2nd Runners Up at Miss India.Of course the hotch potch received its share of talk in 1993. Femina published the indivual scores of the each contestants given by each judge to put the controversy to rest. This also started a trend where every year Femina/TOI would publish the scores to avoid any claims of rigging especially when beauty is subjective and there are bound to be people who think the pageant is rigged. The only questionable loss is Mehar Bhasin, who I personally don't find attractive, but many do. And She went on to become the face of Revlon.

Woww Thanks for the info..MissDharavi!!Good to know Miss India forum are blessed with such pagaent encylcopedias =c3
Silky

Postby jkillough » Tue May 10, 2011 4:27 am

So "missdharavi" is a woman? Not a man named Dave, as you signed the comment on my blog? Well, at least I have the advantage of showing my face honestly in this discussion, bald head and all. And you also know me well enough to call me James. Hmmmmm.

One thing, Dave/Miss Dharavi: when I was shooting Zooni up in Srinagar in 1989, we had 3 functioning computers in the office, albeit with 7 hours of electricity a day. Don't make it seem like Mumbai 1993 was pre-Industrial Revolution. There were computers on site at the pageant, they just conveniently went down just before the performance, as I state in the story.

I've blogged about this further today: http://jameskillough.wordpress.com/2011 ... n-address/

Enjoy!

James
jkillough

Postby hera » Tue May 10, 2011 5:46 am

The pageant wasn't rigged but there was a tabulation error. 1993 was the year of firsts. Madhu Sapre had just placed 3rd in the Miss Universe contest and she came back and the pageant, which had literally no attention, suddenly had a television audience. And for the first time computers were being used to tabulate the results. We're not talking about our fancy high speed devices we use now days. We're talking about 1993, where only a handful, and you can count them on your fingertips had computers. Computers that required a lot of effort. COmputers that no one knew how to use.
This btw is NOT a new controversy. And what exactly transpired was that Karminder Kaur (NOT Namrata Shirodkar) was erroneously eliminated from the Top 5. This has been documented by the media. Her scores were mis-calculated. Not to mention that it wasn't a simple add all the judges scores and then divide by the number of judges. Femina was using the Miss Universe system as there was only one Miss India, the rep to Miss WOrld and Miss International were essentially runners up. The lowest score and the highest score given by a judge are eliminated to avoid one judge from affecting the results of the competition. And the scores of the remaining judges are averaged out. Add that to a 1993 computer, with people who've never used computers in their life and you got yourself a blooper. Karminder Kaur was called back on stage after being eliminated since the error was caught and the competition then took place as needed to. The scores of the final round were manually tabulated to avoid any further glitches. Karminder went onto place 2nd and represent India at Miss World. Namrata Shirodkar, undoubtedly the prettier placed in the Top 6 at Miss Universe and was 2nd Runners Up at Miss Asia.Of course the hotch potch received its share of talk in 1993. Femina published the indivual scores of the each contestant given by each judge to put the controversy to rest. This also started a trend where every year Femina/TOI would publish the scores to avoid any claims of rigging especially when beauty is subjective and there are bound to be people who think the pageant is rigged. The only questionable loss is Mehar Bhasin, who I personally don't find attractive, but many do. And She went on to become the face of Revlon.

OK now the picture is getting clearer
thanks for this information Dharavi
“We live only to discover beauty. All else is a form of waiting.”
hera

Hobbies/Interests: reading , photography..............

Postby saraswan » Tue May 10, 2011 2:22 pm

Jon A wrote:
jkillough wrote:Thanks for reading, everyone. And to the people who are saying this is a publicity stunt, that isn't accurate. We have a number of running jokes on the PFC blog, one of which is how we shamelessly do things to grab readers's attention; for instance, last week's joke was putting up pictures of shirtless hunks. For a long time it was pictures of Amanda Seyfried's breasts, then it was imagining Gaddafi as a black drag queen.

All the best,

James Killough

Hmm... James, what a treat to have you here. I've always loved your blog and this little blob of salaciousness makes it even better!
It is sad to hear what happened, and I do hope that things have changed for the better with more public attention to the contest. In more recent years, they have been telecast live with live scores being shown, and perhaps TOI was also stung by this rumor, because for the next several years, the Femina issue featuring the new Miss Indias would show the entire scoring sheet, from the prelims to the final round against each judges' name. They no longer do so, but at least for a few years there (94-99, which I believe was the last year they did so), we must suspect that the results were kosher. Ditto for 2000 and 2001, where there was universal approval of the results, with Lara and Priyanka Chopra winning and the scores being shown live on TV.
Did you see this year's contest? I am not going to say anything about whether it was rigged or not, but I have never seen such a positive judges' reaction when Kanishta Dhankar was announced Miss India.

I hope you will visit here more often.... :=p

ya thats true jon a, earlier femina did give live scores on tv and the femina magzine, and if u notice those were the only years when india made its presence felt on the international platform, since then the rigging shows so obviously!! why doesnt femina have a live telecast of the contest anymore??
saraswan

Postby missdharavi » Tue May 10, 2011 2:40 pm

jkillough wrote:So "missdharavi" is a woman? Not a man named Dave, as you signed the comment on my blog? Well, at least I have the advantage of showing my face honestly in this discussion, bald head and all. And you also know me well enough to call me James. Hmmmmm.

One thing, Dave/Miss Dharavi: when I was shooting Zooni up in Srinagar in 1989, we had 3 functioning computers in the office, albeit with 7 hours of electricity a day. Don't make it seem like Mumbai 1993 was pre-Industrial Revolution. There were computers on site at the pageant, they just conveniently went down just before the performance, as I state in the story.

I've blogged about this further today: http://jameskillough.wordpress.com/2011 ... n-address/

Enjoy!

James

Yes James, Miss Dharavi is a MAN, also listed in my profile. WHo wrote on your blog under the name of Dave. And that wasnt meant to be a misrepresentation or a sly effort. If you notice my post here clearly states I would be posting exactly the same post on your blog. MissDharavi is my tongue-in-cheek screen name. Theres a beauty pageant every where, in every locality. but i doubt anyone would aspire to be a Miss Dharavi and hence my name. And sure you've shown me your face but i'm in no shape or form obliged to show you mine to make a point. I've been writing in this forum for years. And have been a pageant enthusiast for god knows how long. That doesn't make me a "pageant organiser". That just makes me an individual who doesn't want his identity disclosed. Reason : pageants are considered, for the most part, a gay man's hobby. And uncool to follow.
I find it amusing that your story has changed shaped. You have now included the the details in my version which you had carefully chosen to omit in your original post. I see it nothing but a media attention ploy. You assumed no one would remember. Lemme tell you quite frankly, people in India and maybe the organizers even would give a shit about controversies surrounding beauty pageant. No one cares. I wish it wasn't that way but thats the fact.
About me, I was probably 6 years old when Miss India 1993 took place. And I didn't know of any of the controversies. The first pageant I had ever watched was Miss India 2000. I was 13 then. I spent the week before the contest hanging out with older sister and her friends. They were all 19, some maybe 20. And in all their girly talk they said the Siyarams (i hope i got the fabric brand right) girl was gonna win Miss India. I didn't know her name. And I had never paid attention to who starred in commercials. But Lara Dutta was clearly the front runner for the Miss India crown. She had this aura that read "there is no other but me". The same aura or confidence that maybe Namrata had. I'm gay and mostly in the closest for professional reasons. But Lara i would marry in a jiffy. I watched the contest because my mom had it on. I had completely forgotten about the Siyaram's suiting girl that was mentioned the week before. But the moment my mom had the contest on I wanted to see if they were right. All they had seen were a few commercials of her but they knew. ANd I wanted to know if they were right. And when she came on stage I knew she would win. I knew she would be the next Miss India. I knew she would win Miss Universe. You just looked at her and knew. And she did with tremedous beauty, style and grace. AFter she won Miss India i started following her journey to the Miss Universe crown. I chanced upon information on the pageant and came across numerous website that would cover beauty pageants. One such website was the now defunct indianpageants or something to that effect, the name kept changing (Other forumers JonA and Shinata are very familiar with this website). That website had all the details of the Miss India contest dating back years. Including the Miss India 1993 WITH JUDGES SCORES. They mentioned "your controversy" much before you did. With scanned articles and the works from 1993. I miss that database. But will not hesitate in crediting where i got my information from, given that I was only 6 when the 1993 Miss India took place. Knowing the details of the controversy doesn't make me a "pageant official" it only makes me a "pageant expert". The only way the pageant could have been rigged, as you claim it was, was if the judges were lobbied. Miss India always predominantly had a bollywood panel of judges. And Namrata's sister Shilpa was a bollywood actor. Of course she knew people in the business. Of course she knew most on the panel. And I wouldn't be surprised if she did try and pull favors. After all it was her sister. But that scoring would be upto the discretion of the individual judge. If Shilpa had asked Dimple Kapadia to vote in favor of Namrata and Dimple agreed, would that be rigging by the organisers? DOesn't Obama do the same thing? Don't all politicians in the US (where I live now) and the world over do the same? Don't they lobby for votes? Lobbying and rigging are 2 separate thing. I hope judges at Miss India judge the girls objectively. But chances are they don't. That's why you have a panel and not an individual. So if one judge falters in morality, the others hopefully don't. And truly the best would win. Rigging would be tampering with the actual results. Femina/TOI published the scores of individual judges after each round for each contestants. The only thing left to dispute was if a few judges were biased toward one contestant.
Lets not forget the Padmini Kolhapure's sister Tejaswini Kolhapure also competed in Miss India and didn't make the cut. Beauty is subjective. Mehar Bhasin as I stated has achieved a good level of success, but i find her too manly. In India men prefer women with softer features. Maybe that was her downfall? I don't know. but clearly it wasn't a case of pageant rigging.
* and i have intentionally not published this on your blog because i don't want you to get any personal leverage out of something thats not even a story*
missdharavi

Date of Birth: 19 Jun 1981
Profession: doctor
Hobbies/Interests: pageants

Postby Ramesh » Tue May 10, 2011 3:25 pm

The Femina Magazine has been putting up the score sheet may be frm 1993,i havent seen the miss india 1993 edition of the mag ,but yes frm 1994 to 1997 they did publish the scores as i have personally seen it and have those mags and frm 1998 onwards they stopped doing it
Ramesh

Date of Birth: 20 Dec 2008
Hobbies/Interests: ----------------------------

Postby jkillough » Tue May 10, 2011 5:31 pm

missdharavi wrote:
jkillough wrote:So "missdharavi" is a woman? Not a man named Dave, as you signed the comment on my blog? Well, at least I have the advantage of showing my face honestly in this discussion, bald head and all. And you also know me well enough to call me James. Hmmmmm.

Enjoy!

James

Yes James, Miss Dharavi is a MAN, also listed in my profile. WHo wrote on your blog under the name of Dave. And that wasnt meant to be a misrepresentation or a sly effort. If you notice my post here clearly states I would be posting exactly the same post on your blog. MissDharavi is my tongue-in-cheek screen name. Theres a beauty pageant every where, in every locality. but i doubt anyone would aspire to be a Miss Dharavi and hence my name. And sure you've shown me your face but i'm in no shape or form obliged to show you mine to make a point. I've been writing in this forum for years. And have been a pageant enthusiast for god knows how long. That doesn't make me a "pageant organiser". That just makes me an individual who doesn't want his identity disclosed. Reason : pageants are considered, for the most part, a gay man's hobby. And uncool to follow.
I find it amusing that your story has changed shaped. You have now included the the details in my version which you had carefully chosen to omit in your original post. I see it nothing but a media attention ploy. You assumed no one would remember. Lemme tell you quite frankly, people in India and maybe the organizers even would give a shit about controversies surrounding beauty pageant. No one cares. I wish it wasn't that way but thats the fact.
About me, I was probably 6 years old when Miss India 1993 took place. And I didn't know of any of the controversies. The first pageant I had ever watched was Miss India 2000. I was 13 then. I spent the week before the contest hanging out with older sister and her friends. They were all 19, some maybe 20. And in all their girly talk they said the Siyarams (i hope i got the fabric brand right) girl was gonna win Miss India. I didn't know her name. And I had never paid attention to who starred in commercials. But Lara Dutta was clearly the front runner for the Miss India crown. She had this aura that read "there is no other but me". The same aura or confidence that maybe Namrata had. I'm gay and mostly in the closest for professional reasons. But Lara i would marry in a jiffy. I watched the contest because my mom had it on. I had completely forgotten about the Siyaram's suiting girl that was mentioned the week before. But the moment my mom had the contest on I wanted to see if they were right. All they had seen were a few commercials of her but they knew. ANd I wanted to know if they were right. And when she came on stage I knew she would win. I knew she would be the next Miss India. I knew she would win Miss Universe. You just looked at her and knew. And she did with tremedous beauty, style and grace. AFter she won Miss India i started following her journey to the Miss Universe crown. I chanced upon information on the pageant and came across numerous website that would cover beauty pageants. One such website was the now defunct indianpageants or something to that effect, the name kept changing (Other forumers JonA and Shinata are very familiar with this website). That website had all the details of the Miss India contest dating back years. Including the Miss India 1993 WITH JUDGES SCORES. They mentioned "your controversy" much before you did. With scanned articles and the works from 1993. I miss that database. But will not hesitate in crediting where i got my information from, given that I was only 6 when the 1993 Miss India took place. Knowing the details of the controversy doesn't make me a "pageant official" it only makes me a "pageant expert". The only way the pageant could have been rigged, as you claim it was, was if the judges were lobbied. Miss India always predominantly had a bollywood panel of judges. And Namrata's sister Shilpa was a bollywood actor. Of course she knew people in the business. Of course she knew most on the panel. And I wouldn't be surprised if she did try and pull favors. After all it was her sister. But that scoring would be upto the discretion of the individual judge. If Shilpa had asked Dimple Kapadia to vote in favor of Namrata and Dimple agreed, would that be rigging by the organisers? DOesn't Obama do the same thing? Don't all politicians in the US (where I live now) and the world over do the same? Don't they lobby for votes? Lobbying and rigging are 2 separate thing. I hope judges at Miss India judge the girls objectively. But chances are they don't. That's why you have a panel and not an individual. So if one judge falters in morality, the others hopefully don't. And truly the best would win. Rigging would be tampering with the actual results. Femina/TOI published the scores of individual judges after each round for each contestants. The only thing left to dispute was if a few judges were biased toward one contestant.
Lets not forget the Padmini Kolhapure's sister Tejaswini Kolhapure also competed in Miss India and didn't make the cut. Beauty is subjective. Mehar Bhasin as I stated has achieved a good level of success, but i find her too manly. In India men prefer women with softer features. Maybe that was her downfall? I don't know. but clearly it wasn't a case of pageant rigging.
* and i have intentionally not published this on your blog because i don't want you to get any personal leverage out of something thats not even a story*

I'm not sure how this quote thing works, most forums have a reply button.

Listen, Dave/Miss D, your knowledge is indeed so encyclopedic that I mistook you for someone who was actually there. So bravo for that. But the fact is you weren't. There is a reason there was controversy surrounding the 1993 pageant and it wasn't started by me. They did it all by themselves. I'm just confirming 18 years later that it was based on fact, and that the pageant was rigged in the real sense of the word rig. Your logic about lobbying for votes has no bearing on the actual events and is at best specious, if not downright strange. You are trying to make the shoe fit, and it doesn't. Again: If it walks like a duck, looks like a duck, quack likes a duck, it's a duck.

And if you are so interested in pageant history, then you should count my record of it as a noteworthy entry to your encyclopedia. Like the rest of country, the Miss India Pageant has clearly come a long way, and that is something to be proud of. But it doesn't change history.

Again, I was relating a story, one of many on my blog. And there will be more about India in the future. In fact, now that you're brought Dimple up, I'm thinking about the time we were all stuck in a cabin in the woods in Kashmir just before the Troubles surrounded by thousands of paharis, and Dimple was so nervous about a riot erupting that she hopped on Vinod's horse, which reared dramatically but didn't throw her, and then she galloped off like Zorro to safety. We all got very drunk that night.
jkillough

Postby abcde1 » Tue May 10, 2011 6:22 pm

Miss Dave, as always, you seem to be intimately aware of the inner going ons in Femina, past and present. Staying in the US of A, how is it that you're so keenly aware of the minutest details of the pageant?

As to your views on the pageant and some of the contestants, it is obvious that you have Femina's best interests at heart and that you'd rather defend a clearly corrupt organization than take an objective view. I assume that as an adult (from your post, you're at least 24 years of age), you're old and mature enough to realize how influence and under hand deals work; your earlier post clearly demonstrates that. Yet, you refuse to look at the historical and gross irregularities that Femina as an organization seems to perpetrate.

This clearly isn't the first time Femina has been accused of fixing the pageant and you're very well aware of the inner workings of the pageant, perhaps, maybe even a little 'too' aware. Ever heard of the saying, 'There's no smoke without a fire' ?
abcde1

Postby Ditto » Sat May 14, 2011 10:23 am

I remember watching the show in '93. As it was not televised live, I already knew who the 3 winners were. While watching the show, I was surprised to see that Karminder Kaur did not make the top 5. If I remember correctly, she was called back only after the top 5 were done with their interviews. She was then added as the sixth semifinalist, quickly interviewed, and then put through to the final 3 along with Namrata and Pooja. As we all know, she finished second.

I obtained a copy of the Femina issue that covered the '93 contest. To dispel the rumours that Mehar Bhasin had been eliminated from the top 3 so that Namrata could win, it published the scores that each judge gave each contestant in each round. It showed that after the scores given to the top 6 were tabulated, the hot favourite, Mehar Bhasin, ended in sixth place. Maheep Sandhu was fourth, and Shalu Wadhwa, fifth. Femina made the point that even if Karminder had not been reintroduced, the third finalist would have been Maheep, not Mehar.

I cannot say conclusively whether it was rigged or not. I wasn't even on the scene. But ironically, my favourites from among the top 6 were Mehar AND Karminder. I did not care much for the others, including Namrata.
Last edited by Ditto on Sun May 15, 2011 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ditto
PREDICTIONISTS are known to give sharp & accurate pageant forecasts.
PREDICTIONISTS are known to give sharp & accurate pageant forecasts.

Date of Birth: 11 Jul 1989
Profession: Consultant
Hobbies/Interests: experiments

Postby saraswan » Sat May 14, 2011 12:05 pm

you know, whatever we say and do here on this forum doesn't matter! miss india is a pageant and the organizers (femina, toi) have to make money out of it, at the end of the day! while we waste our time here predicting the hot picks and our favourites, the crown's getting sold somewhere else. the organizers just do the work of trying to cover it up. money exchanging hands or favours being asked are all part of the game. i dont think miss india is any longer that a young girl of india aspires for. no wonder its lost the popularity it once bosted of in the 90's, its been a down hill since then for femina miss india.
saraswan

Return to India