Indian Supermodels Slam Indian Modelling industry of racism

Forum rules
Welcome to the India Section of Missosology Forum. This section is frequently visited by Miss India Officials and ofcourse by Miss Indias themselves.
Further , Many Miss India aspirants who visit the forum are the content of discussion below. In such circumstances the moderators won't allow any kind of bashing or use of abusive language.
Please make sure that your posts are above profanity. Repeated offence may earn you a permanent Ban.

Enjoy !

Disclaimer
1. Owner or Moderators are not responsible for any member's personal comments/behaviours in the community.
2. http://www.missosology.org or http://worldofmissindia.blogspot.com/ does not take responsibilty of the authencity of the information posted by posters. Reader's discretion is advised.
3. This forum is directly affiliated only to I AM SHE org but NOT to the Femina Miss India.
4. The Missosology Miss India Hot Picks are purely a fan based list of favourites which has got NO influence on the final results of the main pageants.

Indian Supermodels Slam Indian Modelling industry of racism

Postby shinata » Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:30 pm

Two top Indian supermodels have spoken out against what they believe is racism against darker-skinned women in the country's fashion and modelling industry
they have spoke out about India's obsession with lighter-skinned models ahead of India Fashion Week, the Telegraph reports. While models from across the border are welcomed with open arms, many aspiring model from India itself are rejected for being to 'dark'

Model-slash-actress Dipannita Sharma a former Femina Miss India 1998 top 5 finalists and winner of Miss Photogenic told the British paper, "It's not just the fashion industry, India is obsessed with white and fair skin. We will take another hundred years to completely get over it. The industry doesn't openly agree that preferring foreign models over Indian models just for the skin tone is racism. It has some kind of fairness obsession."

(Dipannita Sharma)

(Carol Gracias)

Supermodel and former Femina Look of the year winner Carol Gracias told the Hindustan Times she makes under $1,000 for each turn on the runway, while the likes of Kate Moss and Adriana Lima bank $20,000 to $150,000. She said, 'even foreign models coming to India make more than what i do'... "The major reason for this wide gap is that Indian models are not valued so much when it comes to commercial projects. Sadly, in India not too many people follow hardcore fashion."

Dipannita Sharma and Carol Gracias say they are losing out on top paid jobs because an increasing amount of Indian designers are casting lighter-skinned or even foreign models, as they think Dipannita and Carol are to 'Dark' and will not sell to the Indian market.

Dipannita continued: 'The industry doesn't openly agree that preferring foreign models over Indian models just for the skin tone is racism. It has some kind of fairness obsession.

'One could have understood, if it was about getting supermodels of international fame or to work in India but that's not happening, it's just they want fairer skin on the Indian ramps.' 'The major reason for this wide gap is that Indian models are not valued so much when it comes to commercial projects.'
'You never see a dark-skinned girl on TV ads and that's where the lucrative money, fame and success is.'

Carol Gracias - 'Everyone uses fair-skinned girls, people use skin-lighteners like Fair and Lovely. I don't - maybe I would have been fair and lovely by now.'
Pranab Awasti, of Delhi's Glitz Modelling agency, attributed the controversial issue to the country's 200-year history under British colonial rule.

He told the Hindustan Times: 'Indians in general have that inferiority complex, we have had a hangover about fair skin, since the British left India.

'The idea of fairness is an Indian concept and it needs to change. It is an inherent thing in Indians to see white as beautiful and black as ugly... we have this concept in our minds that only fair-skinned people can be models and dark skinned girls can not.'
Others argue in an industry that worships size-zero, skin colour is not an issue and most local models are simply too curvy to make the cut.

Runway choreographer Tanya Lefebvre said: 'The girls are not tall enough and have varying body shapes.'

Just last year, Elle India found itself in hot water for allegedly lightening the skin color of December cover girl Aishwarya Rai. Rai reportedly considered taking action, however we haven't heard anything about the subject since last year. And there's no word on whether Sharma or Gracias will pursue the issue.

Aishwarya Rai on the december Elle cover where her skin was made alot lighter then her usual skin tone..

shinata
VIP MEMBERS are REAL LIFE candidates or PAGEANT ORGANIZERS.

Real Life Name/Nick: Shinata Sangha International Icon
Date of Birth: 31 Aug 1989
Sexual Orientation: Asexual
Profession: GOOGLE ME 'SHINATA SANGHA'
Western Zodiac Sign: Virgo
Chinese Zodiac: Dragon
Hobbies/Interests: Partying! Styling! Beauty Pageants! Holidays

Re: Indian Supermodels Slam Indian Modelling industry of racism

Postby van1k2 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:48 pm

Elle lightened ash's skin?dat woman is lighter than anybody i hav ever seen yet........shame shame
I've got my bitch on......
van1k2
ELITES are highly regarded as FINEST posters of Missosology.

Real Life Name/Nick: van
Date of Birth: 07 May 1989
Profession: Athlete
Chinese Zodiac: Rabbit
Hobbies/Interests: pageants...

Postby Agua Maldita » Fri Apr 22, 2011 1:10 am

:-O :-O :-O :-O :-O

India has wide aray of skin tones! Acknowledge it. Celebrate it. Love it.
ImageImage
Agua Maldita
SUPER STARS are POPULAR or CHARISMATIC posters.
SUPER STARS are POPULAR or CHARISMATIC posters.

Real Life Name/Nick: Alyssa
Date of Birth: 12 Dec 1990
Sexual Orientation: Straight
Profession: Missosology Royalty
Hobbies/Interests: Pageants. GTL. Beach, Travel.

Postby IGeek » Fri Apr 22, 2011 2:48 am

The marketers are doing what people want. People will NOTICE the ad when Aish looks fairer than what she already is. I think rather than blaming the industry, the people should be educated to appreciate beauty in all forms. This is important not just to stop the fairness campaigns, but also because dusky girls actually have a lot of problem in finding a match, especially in India where arranged marriages still prevail. We can have ads promoting beauty in all colors, like we have ads to promote Healthy lifestyle (from Government), family planning, eating eggs, etc.
IGeek

Date of Birth: 01 Jan 1913
Profession: Funoholic
Hobbies/Interests: Music, Dance, Humor

Postby missworldfan » Fri Apr 22, 2011 4:51 am

I wouldn't say this problem only exist in India, most Asian countries have this idea that being fair is beautiful and dark is ugly. During my school days, some Chinese school mates use to poke fun at me and compare me to ghost because of my dark skin, this is in Malaysia.
missworldfan
MISSOSOLOGISTS are OFFICIALLY part of the MISSOSOLOGY FAMILY.

Date of Birth: 21 Dec 2008
Profession: None of your concern
Western Zodiac Sign: Gemini
Chinese Zodiac: Rooster
Hobbies/Interests: Travel

Postby PureT » Fri Apr 22, 2011 5:17 am

This article is true even for Femina Miss Indias. They have chosen light skin girls like Amrita Thappar over Garima even if their body is not tonned and their pictures are much inferior. These two girls are just random examples but this skin tone issue is pretty much across the board in India. Its a shame so many Indians are not proud of their beauiful natural bronze tan.
PureT

Real Life Name/Nick: PT
Date of Birth: 21 Dec 2008
Profession: Scientist
Western Zodiac Sign: Scorpio
Chinese Zodiac: Dog
Hobbies/Interests: Abstracts

Postby shinata » Fri Apr 22, 2011 5:25 am

PureT wrote:This article is true even for Femina Miss Indias. They have chosen light skin girls like Amrita Thappar over Garima even if their body is not tonned and their pictures are much inferior. These two girls are just random examples but this skin tone issue is pretty much across the board in India. Its a shame so many Indians are not proud of their beauiful natural bronze tan.

amrita thappar and garima took part in differnt years? amrita in 2005.. garima in 2006
shinata

Real Life Name/Nick: Shinata Sangha International Icon
Date of Birth: 31 Aug 1989
Profession: GOOGLE ME 'SHINATA SANGHA'
Western Zodiac Sign: Virgo
Chinese Zodiac: Dragon
Hobbies/Interests: Partying! Styling! Beauty Pageants! Holidays

Postby IGeek » Fri Apr 22, 2011 6:43 am

PureT wrote:This article is true even for Femina Miss Indias. They have chosen light skin girls like Amrita Thappar over Garima even if their body is not tonned and their pictures are much inferior. These two girls are just random examples but this skin tone issue is pretty much across the board in India. Its a shame so many Indians are not proud of their beauiful natural bronze tan.

I don't agree with you on this. Dusky Sushmita has won over fair Aishwarya. Lara, Priyanka won over Diya. Tanushree won inspite of being dusky. Sindhura Gadde won inspite of being dusky. Natasha won over Amruta Patki inspite of being dusky. I think FMI has being fair enough to dusky girls too. :)

BTW Garima Parnami din't place because of her pencil-ish body. Amrita placed due to lack of competition and then won due to a weak format.
IGeek

Date of Birth: 01 Jan 1913
Profession: Funoholic
Hobbies/Interests: Music, Dance, Humor

Return to India