If it ain't broke, don't fix it vs Change is inevitable

Forum rules
Welcome to Missosology! RULES: Freedom of speech allowed but 1. NO CROSSING LIMITS AS DIRECT RACIST REMARKS, NUDE OR VIOLENT PICS. 2. NO SPAMMING/FLOODING 3. NO ADVERTISING 4. NO BLACKMAILING/VIOLATING/DIVULGING PRIVACY/personal infos of members as posting their real life pic/real life name without their consent. 5. NO AVENGING/ATTACKING MEMBERS ON THEIR PHYSICAL LOOKS 6. NO REPUTATION BUTTON ABUSE. Any question, feel free to post in the Help Desk section till a Moderator/Admin responds. HAVE FUN!

What is your side right now in the world of pageantry?

You may select 1 option

View results

If it ain't broke, don't fix it vs Change is inevitable

Postby ajsy0203 » Tue Oct 19, 2021 11:34 pm

It seemed that this is the hot topics in the world of pageantry during the "new normal" era of pageantry especially on the national pageants like in Philippines, Colombia, France, USA, etc.

Some wanted change but some doesn't. What is your side right now?

ajsy0203
PAGEANT HISTORIANS are walking encyclopedias of pageantry.

Real Life Name/Nick: AJ
Date of Birth: 05 Sep 1986
Sexual Orientation: Asexual
Profession: Office Staff
Western Zodiac Sign: Virgo
Chinese Zodiac: Tiger
Hobbies/Interests: Teaching

Re: If it ain't broke, don't fix it vs Change is inevitable

Postby Totoypasiboy » Wed Oct 20, 2021 12:34 am

As the saying goes, "The only constant in this world is change." And one key to survival is embracing the changes that is happening around us. Remember when Nokia was the number 1 mobile phone in the world? Well, learn from their story.
Char!
Big Four of Beauty Pageant

Totoypasiboy
ELITES are highly regarded as FINEST posters of Missosology.

Real Life Name/Nick: P' Totoy
Date of Birth: 26 Jul 1994
Sexual Orientation: Not sure
Profession: TROLLBUSTER - Earthling
Western Zodiac Sign: Leo
Chinese Zodiac: Dog
Hobbies/Interests: Love busting Trolls!

Postby Virginia Dalisay » Wed Oct 20, 2021 12:48 am

This is a very hard options to choose from as both choices are reasonable depending on the situation and on each person's journey. So it's a tie for me. :%))

ImageImage
Virginia Dalisay
SUPER STARS are POPULAR or CHARISMATIC posters.
SUPER STARS are POPULAR or CHARISMATIC posters.

Date of Birth: 14 Feb 1991
Sexual Orientation: Gay
Profession: Archeologist
Hobbies/Interests: Live the life you love and Love the life you live.
Message: Never be a prisoner of your past. It was just a lesson, not a life sentence.

Postby Mariana Erwin » Wed Oct 20, 2021 12:52 am

I do think that some pageants really need improvements but some, such as the old ones, need to simply stay where they are now. As the poll option says, if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. I remember Miss America doing this and they have now lost 36% of the ratings in their 2019 pageant (and further dwindled down in 2020), all because of their “2.0” branding which is awful, given that they have removed swimsuit and evening gown just for endless talk, too-emphasized talent, and their platforms being pitched as if it is an Olympics of activism, which I find horrifying. I fear that their 2022 edition will be much worse, despite the, bringing back evening gown.
No more bashers in 2022, please.

Also, watch Dani Walker's video to know more on how bashers can kill with their words.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbYUDqSC1UM
Mariana Erwin
PROFESSIONALS are DIPLOMATIC and QUALITY posters.

Date of Birth: 05 Apr 1988
Sexual Orientation: Straight
Profession: ***********
Western Zodiac Sign: Aries
Chinese Zodiac: Dragon
Hobbies/Interests: Pageantry
Message: Hello and welcome! Commenting on things in pageantry and critical of pageant issues.

Postby Prozac » Wed Oct 20, 2021 1:58 am

I believe that if it ain't broke don't fix it. One should not try to change something that is working well. Leave it alone; avoid
attempting to correct, fix, or improve what is already sufficient.

However, “Change is inevitable; change is constant.”It is a fact of life that individuals, organizations, and nations alike have no
choice but to deal with it. Those who are able to acknowledge this fact and cope with change will survive. Those who are able
to seek out change and actively embrace it will thrive.

So both are important. and just like Miss Earth Venezuela 2021 who has two winners, I am torn, so I will place both in my grocery
cart.
Last edited by Prozac on Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Prozac

Real Life Name/Nick: Butch
Date of Birth: 16 Mar 2016
Profession: Hospital Worker
Western Zodiac Sign: Pisces
Chinese Zodiac: Rabbit
Hobbies/Interests: bully buster, fake news antidote
Message: If you see bizarre behaviors in you, seek professional help.

Postby Prozac » Wed Oct 20, 2021 3:17 am

Colin Powell, the first Black US secretary of state whose leadership in several Republican administrations helped shape
American foreign policy in the last years of the 20th century has died from complications from Covid-19. He was 84.

The reason why his name was brought up here was that he has some strong words about the idiomatic expression if ain't
broke don't fix it.

He said: "If it ain't broke don't fix it" is the slogan for the complacent, the arrogant, or the scared. It is an excuse for
inaction. a call to non-arms."
Last edited by Prozac on Wed Oct 20, 2021 6:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
Prozac

Postby esperasave » Wed Oct 20, 2021 3:54 am

If you don't want change, it's time to retire. The retirement means you don't want anymore the ups and downs, just constancy and waiting things to happen. But the younger ones are those that are bold and the restless to go uphill because they have fast mind and physical strength to do things they want. They can even move mountains as they desire. Look at the Pyramid of Egypt. They were able to move a mountain of stone to make it happen. And all the buildings of the whole world rather the universe were mostly from lands, rocks cements and other sediments in the mountains. The next thing you know, Mt Everest is the tallest building in the world. Also, such example is Miss universe, they are always bold and restless to shake, rattle and rock the world rather the universe with their q&a last edition about Sexual and Domestic Abuse given by Zulekya Rivera. Everyone in the world rather the Universe was tormented and devirginized. It was unexpected that MUO would ask that to a contestant. MUO is still going far and beyond to do all those things for us. That's why when you see something from MUO, say something. When you hear something from MUO, say something.
Last edited by esperasave on Wed Oct 20, 2021 4:35 am, edited 4 times in total.
esperasave

Real Life Name/Nick: esperas
Date of Birth: 30 Aug 1973
Profession: medical
Chinese Zodiac: Ox
Hobbies/Interests: internet surfing
Message: Keep believing in the power of beauty in the human person

Postby ajsy0203 » Wed Oct 20, 2021 4:20 am

Recent Issues:
1. Change of leadership at Miss France especially on the issue of changing the format of the pageant
2. Negative Reviews on the virtual casting/audition process at Miss Universe Philippines on selecting the Top 30. Some of them accused MUP org on the issue of unfair paid voting.
3. Late schedule of Miss USA finals
ajsy0203

Real Life Name/Nick: AJ
Date of Birth: 05 Sep 1986
Profession: Office Staff
Chinese Zodiac: Tiger
Hobbies/Interests: Teaching

Postby Mariana Erwin » Wed Oct 20, 2021 4:33 am

ajsy0203 wrote:Recent Issues:
1. Change of leadership at Miss France especially on the issue of changing the format of the pageant
2. Negative Reviews on the virtual casting/audition process at Miss Universe Philippines on selecting the Top 30. Some of them accused MUP org on the issue of unfair paid voting.
These issues are important to talk about, given that while it is important to make the pageant evolve, making unnecessary changes to a pageant will not help a pageant in the long run.

Issue #1 is what I am worried about. Fans of Miss France (especially in the original thread about this) disdain reality shows, since the reality shows featured there are cheap in terms of quality and involve drama that fans hate. While I know they want to make Miss France more human, they have already done that through documentaries about her reign. Issue #2 is based on the criticism against Miss Universe Philippines and the fans wanting the pageant re-consumed by Binibining Pilipinas; they could've prevented this if they selected just thirty, however let's all realize that their voting system isn't that unique. Issue #3 is the reason why I lament the splitting up of the Miss Universe Organization. Miss USA being too close to the date of the arrivals is actually bothersome. There's no problem with a pageant being held a month prior to arrivals, but as much as possible, they can do better so that whoever wins Miss USA will still be able to experience her reign as Miss USA, given that she still reigns nevertheless.

Also, watch Dani Walker's video to know more on how bashers can kill with their words.

Mariana Erwin

Message: Hello and welcome! Commenting on things in pageantry and critical of pageant issues.

Postby esperasave » Wed Oct 20, 2021 4:48 am

Mariana Erwin wrote:
These issues are important to talk about, given that while it is important to make the pageant evolve, making unnecessary changes to a pageant will not help a pageant in the long run.

Issue #1 is what I am worried about. Fans of Miss France (especially in the original thread about this) disdain reality shows, since the reality shows featured there are cheap in terms of quality and involve drama that fans hate. While I know they want to make Miss France more human, they have already done that through documentaries about her reign. Issue #2 is based on the criticism against Miss Universe Philippines and the fans wanting the pageant re-consumed by Binibining Pilipinas; they could've prevented this if they selected just thirty, however let's all realize that their voting system isn't that unique. Issue #3 is the reason why I lament the splitting up of the Miss Universe Organization. Miss USA being too close to the date of the arrivals is actually bothersome. There's no problem with a pageant being held a month prior to arrivals, but as much as possible, they can do better so that whoever wins Miss USA will still be able to experience her reign as Miss USA, given that she still reigns nevertheless.

That always happen when there's a change of management in every business. There's always change on how they would deal with the pageant or business as they desire. There's new owner with Miss France, Miss Philippines and Miss USA organizations.
esperasave

Postby Mariana Erwin » Wed Oct 20, 2021 4:56 am

esperasave wrote:
Mariana Erwin wrote:

That always happen when there's a change of management in every business. There's always change on how they would deal with the pageant or business as they desire. There's new owner with Miss France, Miss Philippines and Miss USA organizations.
I think the main issue of these changes is whether they are necessary or not. Some changes may be needed or necessary, especially if the current policy is either oppressive or disgusting to deal with. However, there are times when it is unnecessary and damaging. What Miss France fans fear is that the pageant will become a crappy reality show with fighting/quarreling like Big Brother or the Top Model franchises, and everyone knows where the winner goes to - that is not a good look at all! In the case of the Miss Universe Organization, I can see that they split themselves up into two due to financial reasons - and that is something that I have mixed feelings on.

Before changing anything, these organizations should think of the fans first, whether they would want it or not. Miss America definitely changed, but unfortunately, for the worst. I remember a candidate there saying, ''Change is hard, but change is good'' when she made into the top fifteen in the 2019 pageant - but unfortunately, in the case of Miss America, it lost them their viewers and it even became dictatorial all because they want this ''change'' shoved in the throats of their fans and even their state directors that they fired. Worse, one of the fired state organizations made their own pageant system out of it, based on volunteering.

Mariana Erwin

Postby esperasave » Wed Oct 20, 2021 5:07 am

Mariana Erwin wrote:
esperasave wrote:
Mariana Erwin wrote:

I think the main issue of these changes is whether they are necessary or not. Some changes may be needed or necessary, especially if the current policy is either oppressive or disgusting to deal with. However, there are times when it is unnecessary and damaging. What Miss France fans fear is that the pageant will become a crappy reality show with fighting/quarreling like Big Brother or the Top Model franchises, and everyone knows where the winner goes to - that is not a good look at all! In the case of the Miss Universe Organization, I can see that they split themselves up into two due to financial reasons - and that is something that I have mixed feelings on.

Before changing anything, these organizations should think of the fans first, whether they would want it or not. Miss America definitely changed, but unfortunately, for the worst. I remember a candidate there saying, ''Change is hard, but change is good'' when she made into the top fifteen in the 2019 pageant - but unfortunately, in the case of Miss America, it lost them their viewers and it even became dictatorial all because they want this ''change'' shoved in the throats of their fans and even their state directors that they fired. Worse, one of the fired state organizations made their own pageant system out of it, based on volunteering.

Be an owner of a beauty pageant org and instill the old concept as you wish. Just like Azucarera de Mama Jonas Gaffud, he started from scratch training women for local beauty pageants in the hallways of his school, UP. But look at him now, a pageant organizer to Miss Universe and pageant handler whose contestants have won several international competitions. Who would have thought that. It means to say, nothing is impossible in the world rather the universe if you work hard for it. You can move mountains after mountains if it's your will. With Miss France, they want it to be on mainstream TV not just one night event that people ordinarily would have to wait for one night yearly to witness one lady to be crowned. It's better like that because you get to know each contestant deeply along the way. Unlike the old concept, when it surprise you that one lady is being crowned not even knowing her.
Last edited by esperasave on Wed Oct 20, 2021 5:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
esperasave

Postby panchopolo » Wed Oct 20, 2021 5:32 am

Totoypasiboy wrote:As the saying goes, "The only constant in this world is change.

. . . along with human nature, death, and taxes :-*
panchopolo

Date of Birth: 20 Dec 2012
Profession: Croquis and Maquette Maker
Hobbies/Interests: Providing arcane information on need-to-know basis
Message: Post messages that matter for posts that don’t matter

Postby Prozac » Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:03 am

Prozac wrote:Colin Powell, the first Black US secretary of state whose leadership in several Republican administrations helped shape
American foreign policy in the last years of the 20th century has died from complications from Covid-19. He was 84.

The reason why his name was brought up here was that he has some strong words about the idiomatic expression if ain't
broke don't fix it.

He said: "If it ain't broke don't fix it" is the slogan for the complacent, the arrogant, or the scared. It is an excuse for

My son is into fixing things, hoping he can improve their functionality. So the computer that he fixed recently we can
now rest from its erratic performance (the computer won't start before and the computer shuts off in the middle of an
important research. The windows won't boot and its speed - snail-paced.)

Thanks to him the computer will forever rest in peace. The changes that he made here and there made it die prematurely
and permanently.
Prozac

Postby esperasave » Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:23 am

Prozac wrote:
Prozac wrote:Colin Powell, the first Black US secretary of state whose leadership in several Republican administrations helped shape

broke don't fix it.

My son is into fixing things, hoping he can improve their functionality. So the computer that he fixed recently we can
now rest from its erratic performance (the computer won't start before and the computer shuts off in the middle of an

Thanks to him the computer will forever rest in peace. The changes that he made here and there made it die prematurely
and permanently.

Computers are not human beings. When it get rusted and torn down, their functionality will rest in peace. But human beings, they are capable to do great things in life as long there's will power and actions. Human beings can move mountains after mountains. In a span of 100 years, we have witnessed a great cities like New York, Tokyo, Sao Paolo, Manila, Hong Kong and hundred more cities sprung with so much structures as what eyes can see. It's just the power of human bodies that's so much unimaginable and unprecedented.
esperasave

Postby Prozac » Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:33 am

esperasave wrote:
Prozac wrote:

broke don't fix it.

and permanently.

Computers are not human beings. When it get rusted and torn down, their functionality will rest in peace. But human beings, they are capable to do great things in life as long there's will power and actions. Human beings can move mountains after mountains. In a span of 100 years, we have witnessed a great cities like New York, Tokyo, Sao Paolo, Manila, Hong Kong and hundred more cities sprung with so much structures as what eyes can see. It's just the power of human bodies that's so much unimaginable and unprecedented.

In everyday parlance an idiom, an adage or a maxim can be applied to anything, be it human beings, inanimate objects,
situations etc. And yes we are in a pageantry forum and I should have made an example related to pageantry or any issues
affecting it - like Miss France who has plans of making a reality show out of their contest.

I guess I was trying to drive home a point by making my son an example. He even pooh-poohed what I wrote when he said: "Dad
the computer is almost dead - it is stubborn not to start fast and quick and, it shut off sporadically. It is good as BROKEN
hahaha. That was a wrong example you made - if it ain't broken don't fix it, so it said. So since it is broken, I have all the
reasons to fix it. And if I failed ... I don't need to explain myself. It is broken anyway."
Prozac

Postby esperasave » Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:36 am

Prozac wrote:
esperasave wrote:
Prozac wrote:

broke don't fix it.

and permanently.

In everyday parlance an idiom, an adage or a maxim can be applied to anything, be it human beings, inanimate objects,
situations etc. And yes we are in a pageantry forum and I should have made an example related to pageantry or any issues
affecting it - like Miss France who has plans of making a reality show out of their contest.

I guess I was trying to drive home a point by making my son an example. He even pooh-poohed what I wrote when he said: "Dad
the computer is almost dead - it is stubborn not to start fast and quick and, it shut off sporadically. It is good as BROKEN
hahaha. That was a wrong example you made - if it ain't broken don't fix it, so it said. So since it is broken, I have all the
reasons to fix it. And if I failed ... I don't need to explain myself. It is broken anyway."

You're like Maria Ressa, she's full of figurative of speech and fancy idiomatic expressions. That's how she trapped her viewers and audience to draw their attention with her.
esperasave

Postby Prozac » Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:50 pm

Maria Ressa? She's a Nobel Peace Prize winner laureate, and I am just your lowly Missosology contributor.

Personally, I don't want to be in her shoes. With the torrent of threats, hatred, and abuse she has faced, she received
too many hate messages and she has been a target through hashtag campaigns. And the biggest item in her resume was
she was later sent to jail for a libel conviction. I am a peace-loving person, and there's no way I will allow myself to be
a subject of abuse of that magnitude.

If she may have used idioms or any figure of speech in her writings. that was just incidental. She didn't trap anybody
so she can have their attention nor did she want her readers to like her. She's a writer, a product of Princeton University
and UP. Any writer/journalist worth her salt has to make use of these writing styles to inspire, educate and motivate her
readers.
Prozac

Postby esperasave » Thu Oct 21, 2021 12:24 am

Prozac wrote:Maria Ressa? She's a Nobel Peace Prize winner laureate, and I am just your lowly Missosology contributor.

Personally, I don't want to be in her shoes. With the torrent of threats, hatred, and abuse she has faced, she received
too many hate messages and she has been a target through hashtag campaigns. And the biggest item in her resume was
she was later sent to jail for a libel conviction. I am a peace-loving person, and there's no way I will allow myself to be
a subject of abuse of that magnitude.

If she may have used idioms or any figure of speech in her writings. that was just incidental. She didn't trap anybody
so she can have their attention nor did she want her readers to like her. She's a writer, a product of Princeton University
and UP. Any writer/journalist worth her salt has to make use of these writing styles to inspire, educate and motivate her
readers.

Yes, that's her style, very unique in the world. She uses figurative of speech and idiomatic expressions in all her speaking engagements and press interviews. Evethough she's receiving backlash, hate messages and being tormented, she always turn out a WINNER because she knows how to play the games too well. First op, she used her resume like her attendance at Princeton University then her work experiences at CNN, ABS etc to utilize those to draw attention from all people of different walks of life. Secondly, she used her face because she looks like just anybody else in the world who can succeed and cross any boundaries. You just need to show a decent face with no pretentions to be somebody then people can accept you. And if you cannot accept her win as Nobel Peace Prize, just what Spokeman Roque have said after his Miss World Philippines judgment, he said to everyone go ahead and sit as a judge yourself.
esperasave

Postby Prozac » Thu Oct 21, 2021 1:51 am

Hmmmm .... talking about Harry Roque. I know Ganiel Krishnan did poorly in the Q and A in Miss World Philippines.
Do you think politics was the reason why Ganiel didn't even get even a low-grade and substandard titles Miss World Philippines is
peddling?

Being a former Mutya Ng Pilipinas winner and a finalist in Miss Asia Pacific International, a second Runner- up finish
in Miss World Philippines was a big slap in her face. Was being a Kapamilya a kiss of death to her pageantry career? Just asking ...
Prozac

Postby prowazekii » Thu Oct 21, 2021 4:01 am

its a third world thing :=p
i think of Miss Universe who is the most beautiful, most femininely graceful, most charming, delightful and sweet...
prowazekii
PIONEERS are the most experienced members of Missosology.
PIONEERS are the most experienced members of Missosology.

Real Life Name/Nick: Ron Weasley Fr. Hogwarts
Date of Birth: 21 Dec 2008
Profession: Physician
Hobbies/Interests: The OLympic Games,Miss Universe,HP and Haus MD
Message: " hard work and perseverance outlast sheer luck and talent"

Postby esperasave » Thu Oct 21, 2021 5:19 am

Prozac wrote:Hmmmm .... talking about Harry Roque. I know Ganiel Krishnan did poorly in the Q and A in Miss World Philippines.
Do you think politics was the reason why Ganiel didn't even get even a low-grade and substandard titles Miss World Philippines is
peddling?

Being a former Mutya Ng Pilipinas winner and a finalist in Miss Asia Pacific International, a second Runner- up finish
in Miss World Philippines was a big slap in her face. Was being a Kapamilya a kiss of death to her pageantry career? Just asking ...

You need to sit as a judge so that Ganiel should get a title.
esperasave

Postby manoypoe » Thu Oct 21, 2021 3:23 pm

Prozac wrote:I believe that if it ain't broke don't fix it. One should not try to change something that is working well. Leave it alone; avoid

However, “Change is inevitable; change is constant.”It is a fact of life that individuals, organizations, and nations alike have no
choice but to deal with it. Those who are able to acknowledge this fact and cope with change will survive. Those who are able

So both are important. and just like Miss Earth Venezuela 2021 who has two winners, I am torn, so I will place both in my grocery
cart.

You always amaze me with your opinions. For me, you are the best Miss Earth... sorry best Miss Universe that we will never have. :=p :=p =D> =D> Btw, how long do you compose your comments? Do you proof-read them, edit before clicking the submit button? :-* :-* :%)) :%))
manoypoe
MODERATORS are responsible to maintain order.

Date of Birth: 15 Apr 1975
Profession: Assassin of Idiots
Western Zodiac Sign: Taurus
Hobbies/Interests: Web surfing

Postby esperasave » Fri Oct 22, 2021 12:55 am

manoypoe wrote:
Prozac wrote:I believe that if it ain't broke don't fix it. One should not try to change something that is working well. Leave it alone; avoid

cart.

You always amaze me with your opinions. For me, you are the best Miss Earth... sorry best Miss Universe that we will never have. :=p :=p =D> =D> Btw, how long do you compose your comments? Do you proof-read them, edit before clicking the submit button? :-* :-* :%)) :%))

It's good mental health to achieve the highest level of mental capacity.
esperasave

Postby Prozac » Fri Oct 22, 2021 8:18 am

manoypoe wrote:

cart.

Thank you manoypoe. Coming from you that comment meant a lot. I REALLY HATE TO BLOW MY HORN, but I think I have a printer's ink
in my blood. I love to write what is in my mind that's why in college you will always see my name in the editorial box. I manned our college
and alumni newsletter and when I went abroad I tried contributing to local newspapers, some of them saw the light of day, some didn't.
I have also my own share of rejections, even here in Missosology when I started they (I don't know who's they) gave me a hard time and
my replies have never been published making me ask myself, "Are my replies and opinions really that bad?"

To answer your question, I don't go with rough drafts if that's what you want to know. I always type directly and right away what is on my
mind and what is in my heart lest I will lose my trend of thought and worst lose the right words to say. Proofreading, I do that. Being meticulous,
I have that obsessive attention to detail; it makes me nuts if I don't check the whole enchilada (I am very bad with tenses, so if you are not
used to fine-tuning your work, expect other members to rub it in your face.)

I am also bad with pronouns and prepositions. I always interchange he and she, and the prepositions you really have to be careful with
it and one error are enough to change the meaning of the sentence. So editing is a must. Punctuation marks are also important. We should
know when to use a colon and the semicolon, and differentiate the use of dash from the hyphen.

When all your ideas are on paper, you still have to inspect whether you used the right words (I used to remember my English teacher putting
WWU (wrong word used) whenever the word you used was inappropriate. I also encourage the use of idioms and figures of speech, even Latin
words as long as they are essential to the context.

Writing is always peppered with Latin words (we saw an abundance of it especially if you read columns, movie reviews, etc (EX: gratis, quid
pro quo, bona fide, enfant terrible, mea culpa, per diem, in vitro, in situ, etc). The rule of the thumb is "Don't underestimate your readers and
don't fear that they will be lost in all these mumbo jumbo and your message will not be understood. I repeat as long as they are essential to your
story, hesitating the use of them is a big disservice.

Here are some tips to improve your writing. It is an old formula coming from our mentor.

-Your first few lines are important. Use them to grab the reader’s attention.
-Create an atmosphere with sensory language. What sights, smells, sensations, and sounds would you like your reader to imagine?
-Choose words carefully, and create new words and idioms. Find new ways to say ordinary things.
-Avoid jargon and foreign phrases unless they’re essential in context.
-Be original. Trying to emulate a writing style will produce a poor copy of someone else’s work.

Lastly, I saw a lot of good writers in this forum, manoypoe and beautywatchnewyork included. And there's a lot more, it is just that I have a vague picture
of who they are, So if your name was not mentioned it was not my intent. You know who you are ... and what you are capable of writing. Good luck to all.
Last edited by Prozac on Fri Oct 22, 2021 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Prozac

Postby Prozac » Fri Oct 22, 2021 11:54 am

"manoypoe wrote:

Btw, how long do you compose your comments? ..."

My comments are always lengthy. So when I am in the mood, about 5 to 10 minutes.

I am not into one-liners, I don't think I am capable of giving smart, witty, and funny remarks.
Prozac

Postby esperasave » Fri Oct 22, 2021 12:39 pm

Prozac wrote:"manoypoe wrote:

Btw, how long do you compose your comments? ..."

My comments are always lengthy. So when I am in the mood, about 5 to 10 minutes.

I am not into one-liners, I don't think I am capable of giving smart, witty, and funny remarks.

For me, it depends. Some readers and viewers want to get over it so one liner is the best weapon for them. But others, they can't simply get enough of you so bombarding them with your honest and truthful views and opinions will make their day.
esperasave

Postby manoypoe » Fri Oct 22, 2021 5:02 pm

Prozac wrote:
manoypoe wrote:

cart.

Thank you manoypoe. Coming from you that comment meant a lot. I REALLY HATE TO BLOW MY HORN, but I think I have a printer's ink
in my blood. I love to write what is in my mind that's why in college you will always see my name in the editorial box. I manned our college
and alumni newsletter and when I went abroad I tried contributing to local newspapers, some of them saw the light of day, some didn't.
I have also my own share of rejections, even here in Missosology when I started they (I don't know who's they) gave me a hard time and
my replies have never been published making me ask myself, "Are my replies and opinions really that bad?"

To answer your question, I don't go with rough drafts if that's what you want to know. I always type directly and right away what is on my
mind and what is in my heart lest I will lose my trend of thought and worst lose the right words to say. Proofreading, I do that. Being meticulous,
I have that obsessive attention to detail; it makes me nuts if I don't check the whole enchilada (I am very bad with tenses, so if you are not
used to fine-tuning your work, expect other members to rub it in your face.)

I am also bad with pronouns and prepositions. I always interchange he and she, and the prepositions you really have to be careful with
it and one error are enough to change the meaning of the sentence. So editing is a must. Punctuation marks are also important. We should
know when to use to colon and the semicolon, and differentiate the use of dash from the hyphen.

When all your ideas are on paper, you still have to inspect whether you used the right words (I used to remember my English teacher putting
WWU (wrong word used) whenever the word you used was inappropriate. I also encourage the use of idioms and figures of speech, even Latin
words as long as they are essential to the context.

Writing is always peppered with Latin words (we saw an abundance of it especially if you read columns, movie reviews, etc (EX: gratis, quid
pro quo, bona fide, enfant terrible, mea culpa, per diem, in vitro, in situ, etc). The rule of the thumb is "Don't underestimate your readers and
don't fear that they will be lost in all these mumbo jumbo and your message will not be understood. I repeat as long as they are essential to your
story, hesitating the use of them is a big disservice.

Here are some tips to improve your writing. It is an old formula coming from our mentor.

-Your first few lines are important. Use them to grab the reader’s attention.
-Create an atmosphere with sensory language. What sights, smells, sensations, and sounds would you like your reader to imagine?
-Choose words carefully, and create new words and idioms. Find new ways to say ordinary things.
-Avoid jargon and foreign phrases unless they’re essential in context.
-Be original. Trying to emulate a writing style will produce a poor copy of someone else’s work.

Lastly I saw a lot of good writers in this forum, manoypoe and beautywatchnewyork included. And there's a lot more, it is just thatI have a vague picture
of who they are, So if your name was not mentioned it was not my intent. You know who you are ... and what you are capable of writing. Good luck to all.

I don't see myself a good writer at all. That is why I admire people like you and how I wish I can be as great as you. I really love the way you write. As for beautywatch, at first, I really liked his way of writing but later on it is tiring to read pompous sentences. :-* :-*
manoypoe

Date of Birth: 15 Apr 1975
Profession: Assassin of Idiots
Western Zodiac Sign: Taurus
Hobbies/Interests: Web surfing

Postby Prozac » Fri Oct 22, 2021 5:55 pm

"manoypoe wrote

I don't see myself a good writer at all. That is why I admire people like you and how I wish I can be as great as you.
I really love the way you write. As for beautywatch, at first, I really liked his way of writing but later on it is tiring
to read pompous sentences."

Actually, you are a good writer. I have seen a lot of your replies, and there are times I told myself I wish I could have
written that. There are moments of brilliance and I dare say you are one of those unpolished diamond gemstones, who
has the potential to become high-quality jewels. Missossology is a perfect venue for us to continue writing and polish
our craft.

One more piece of advice: when I see a word or a line that tickle my fancy, I usually jot them down and I told myself:
"One day, there will be a perfect time and opportunity for me to use them and grace some of my replies. I don't want
to be redundant. I play with words and made them pleasing to the eyes, and beautiful music to the ears.

Don't fret about how many minutes you spent doing your replies. Time is not a yardstick to measure how good your reply
was. What matters most is how good it looked on paper and how it affects your readers.
Prozac

Postby esperasave » Fri Oct 22, 2021 8:10 pm

Ala Maria Ressa, she's very unique in her style of writing and reporting. Exponentially, it's full of figurative of speech and idioms in biblical proportions but neither letting all the viewers or readers at lost in the woods nor hanging up in the air in limbo. She's still leveling off in the end, open for anything that can attracts and draws attention towards her all the more. In short, she hustles for you like the people in the street. She hustles but not annoying.
esperasave

Next

Return to GENERAL