| THE DUCHESS REVIEWS | MISS EARTH 2018 |

| THE DUCHESS REVIEWS | MISS EARTH 2018 |

Postby The Duchess » Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:31 am

| THE DUCHESS PRESENTS |
THE 18TH MISS EARTH PAGEANT REVIEW

Hello everybody. This is The Duchess bringing you the Miss Earth 2018 review which was long promised and I could finally had a moment to write it. I finally sat down and refused to write anything else until I finished this because I actually like the Miss Earth. Now I am not saying I understand it, I think my predictions show I obviously don’t fully understand it. But I do have to say I love certain parts of it, including its advocacy for fighting climate change and protecting mother earth. And I also enjoy the fact that the runner ups matter in the Miss Earth pageant and will be in close relationship with the organization for a year. Of course, as with any pageant, there’s things I would love to change but I have to say is one that I look forward to watching. It has the best pre-pageant activities hands down, NOBODY compares to them let’s be real. And there’s some years they actually have a pretty good production, like this year so we will talk about it a little bit today.

Now as you guys know Puerto Rico along with the Dominican Republic, both British and US Virgin Islands, and the rest of the Antilles are under watch because of Dorian. The tropical storm already touched or it’s currently touching the Antilles and given the last resort it will touch Puerto Rico tomorrow. This is not Maria, this is a much smaller and disorganized storm that will most likely just bring water. Lots of it. But just in case and given past experiences I have done my prediction games until my birthday (Sept. 1st) and hopefully enjoy it with electricity. But I didn’t want to leave without putting at least something for you guys to read in case I won’t be able to write for a while. I want you guys to keep us in your thoughts and send us those good vibes to us islanders, hopefully it will be just a couple days without electricity.

[youtube]nw-WqOwuTxs[/youtube]

| THE OPENING |
I loved the remix of God is Woman by Ariana Grande that they used, and I loved how they decided to showcase the themed costumes. The first group was The Americas and they were very nicely spread among the stage and were presented with their Goddess title. Some girls like Costa Rica and Dominican Republic didn’t have much of a costume and it was sad because some countries really put in the work so they were kinda forgotten. I noticed that for some reason the Miss Earth Puerto Rico decided to choose the Celtic Goddess Aine instead of a Taino goddess which was more representative of our ancestry. But I have to say that for me the best part, and kinda the reason i think Miss Earth does this, is seeing everyone’s representation of how a goddess looks. Some had earthy costume, others native american costumes, others greek inspired and others elevating a national type of fashion. It was very refreshing because my favorite part of pageants in seeing those cultures exhibited, I just love that. The dancers were okay, honestly. I don’t love them but I understand they serve as visual rest so you are not stuck seeing 87 girls back to back. The only thing I truly dislike, and this is about EVERY pageant that does it is that they got the girls “dancing”. I’ve always been the first to say it should be a runway type thing and not require dancing because in group larger than 15 I can assure most cannot dance. So I’ve always found that cringy is all pageants that do this. I get why ya’ll do it but honestly… no haha.

| TOP 18 ANNOUNCEMENT |

So my predicted Top 18 before the final night was: Chile, Guam, Indonesia, Italy, Nepal, Netherlands, Nigeria, Poland, T&T, USA, Puerto Rico, Mexico, Venezuela, Philippines, Slovenia, Colombia, Vietnam and Portugal.

So I was excited that many got in but I do have to say that I do feel disappointed that there wasn’t a Top 18 in the competitions. Because I can assure that Vietnam, Mexico and Puerto Rico would have appeared in at least 2 of those competitions. But hey it is what it is. All I’m going to say about the Preliminary Body and Figure competition is that Puerto Rico shoulda been there… that was shady hahaha. Nah but its fine. Now for the girls that did get chosen:

[youtube] NkNH1gpriyg[/youtube]

Netherlands: She is a beautiful woman and her dress was stunning walking through the stage, it was beautiful nude dress and her styling was on point.

Chile: I don’t love her physically but wow that dress was beautiful and she walked pretty decent in it.

Romania: I honestly didn’t like her dress or her styling for this little moment.

Brazil: The dress is beautiful and she showed a lot of personality in it.

Japan: That dress is something else entirely, it’s a beautiful fabric but it was too big on the bodice that I wish was better fitted.

Portugal: this woman has SUCH a presence on the stage, it’s undeniable.

Slovenia: One of the faces of the pageant, that green brought out her whole features

South Africa: She’s cute, and had a beautiful dress.

Italy: BEAUTIFUL DRESS AND BEAUTIFUL GIRL, she was very nice in her presentation.

Philippines: She’s okay, but to me she just doesn’t have IT when she is on stage

Ghana: Not a pageant dress.

Colombia: Her Okay gown didn’t stop her from having a fantastic stage presence.

Vietnam: This girl is on another level of beauty and angel, that dress just emphasized that.

Montenegro: She’s just too shy in terms of smiling

Venezuela: I said Diana was amazing on stage and she didn’t disappoint but she had lipstick stains, so even though is barely noticeable we have to have a look out for those details

Austria: She is… Okay honestly haha

Nepal: She needed a better designed and sewn dress with better fabrics.

Mexico: She is honestly a fantastic candidate and that dress was very beautiful

| PRESENTATION OF THE REIGNING QUEENS |

[youtube]3jMdK041g-Ip[/youtube]

If this shows you something is just how STUNNING Miss Air 2018 is on TV it reminded me why I have been so angry she didn’t win Miss Earth last year. On TV she looks even more beautiful than in the pictures… oh the pain man. Miss Fire was pretty beautiful too, her beauty really shines on TV and that color is very beautiful on her. That design… WOW. Miss Water’s dress wasn’t my favorite but wow does she know how to carry it, it was a color I never would have thought of for her but she looked great. Miss Earth’s fabric was fabulous but lord the gems added at the bust, neck and wait took the glamour of it in my opinion. The fabric was enough on its own to make her look beautiful.

| SWIMSUIT PRESENTATIONS AND THE ANNOUNCEMENT OF TOP 12 |

They used a song I hate but unfortunately the beat is fantastic to do catwalk in so I am willing to overlook that . I was a bit confused by the format in this part when I was rewatching because I didn’t know if they were competing or just getting into the stage haha. So I had to rewind so I could start scoring them, I did it in a VS. way and only provided double passes twice. I have to say that all the girls did know how to walk, it was just a matter of who walked better than who. Who had the queenly aura and who didn’t quite match the energy of their stage partner, you know? Which girl could be picked from the crowd.

Now I have to applaud Miss Earth for having some beautiful swimsuits of this portion and I love the shape they chose. It made all the girls elongated, like the Miss U one pieces, so that tells me they are very smart with designing. There appeared to be two prints, cheetah print and a scale one which was my favorite of the two. It’s just a better design although I love that they all were white and gold which looked very regal and made them look very beautiful. The little skirt they had to wear in the Top 12 announcement was also a nice simple addition that allowed them to cover themselves for a while.

SO, on this catwalk I had the following girls going through the Top 12 and 7 of those got into the actual Top 12:

Philippines, Ghana, Slovenia, Colombia, Vietnam, Portugal, Venezuela, Romania, Mexico, Nepal, Chile, Brazil.

In the announcement of the Top 12,, which I found out afterwards was I guess the next part of the scoring to be part of the Top 8… meaning I had to rewatch to score again. The following girls were named.

Mexico: Beautiful and poised, she looked stunning in that victory walk; I have to commend her because I couldn’t stop looking at her. I just couldn’t. She was sassy and knew how to pose, she didn’t overthink or wavered what she wanted to do. She just did the thing. Easily going to the next round, no doubt about it.

Venezuela: Venezuela walks like a queen that knows she will get far, full of confidence and that figure is to dieeee for.. 10s across the board. A Venezuelan not being able to walk is honestly unheard of, she had the best catwalk of the group along with Colombia. Although I knew this would happen since her national, I did chose her for a reason, because she always had that stage presence. Those red lips look wonderful with that white/gold swimsuit and golden blonde hair.

Chile: Chile is a very cute girls and to me just needed a bit more confidence in that walk but she walked very nicely.

Netherlands: I don’t get this, she is so extra with the gestures and the face… she is beautiful but looks too sultry.

Colombia: What can I say? Colombia as usual has TUMBAO, beautiful victory walk ready to snatch a crown. She looks tall, statuesque and quite honestly so naturally stunning that it’s crazy to not see her in that Top 8.

Italy: She was so meh on the catwalk I really think she was chosen because she was very statuesque and elongated.

South Africa: She needs a sassier walk to go with that beautiful face, although she poses really nicely.

Philippines: She did walk miles better and way more confident than Miss Italy so I wasn’t surprised she got to that Top 12.

Portugal: God, she is gorgeous on TV and THIS is the kind of attitude I want to see from European candidates on stage. THIS IS IT!

Austria: … Sigh, hahaha what can I say? I don’t get it.

Slovenia: Another stunning sassy European turning that catwalk into fire, what do they feed euros on Miss Earth? Beautiful.

Vietnam: I would have rioted. Period. She is gorgeous, stunning and fresh.

[youtube]PpnzoHXwyEY[/youtube]

| TOP 8 Announcement & #Hashtag Round |

So here my chosen Top 8 would have been: Colombia, Venezuela, Mexico, Slovenia, Vietnam, Portugal, Philippines and Italy. Yes, I chose Italy because to me even though her walking is meh she DOES look very tall and statuesque. And I was mostly right… except for our dear old Austria who squeezed herself there so yeah hahaha. But regardless of this portion the girls have to pick a hashtag and expand on it, this is the part that chooses the Top 4. So I would say this is the make it break it moment in this pageant, personally I wish it wasn’t a hashtag… but then again, it is a very unique thing to the pageant.

Colombia: So her hashtag was #Immigrants and I have to say that her answer was very open-minded and serious. She looked like she cared about the subject and didn’t try to get to political, she just opened up the conversation around the idea of having more compassion towards the subject. I loved how genuine she was on stage and didn’t try to look perfect and the fact that she is barely wearing any eye makeup and still looks flawless… that’s something to envy. I really liked her answer and I knew she was going to go forward to the Top 4.

Philippines: Her hashtag is #Malnutrition and I have to say that it was an absolute train crash what happened to her. She couldn’t speak properly in english, she was SO nervous and just kept repeating herself. As for the contents of her answer there wasn’t really much content given she was talking about respect. Respect has nothing to do with malnutrition and she couldn’t even find a way to connect the dots enough to sound coherent. Respect doesn’t really feed children, she could have talked about how governments should try to tackle this issue, especially in children. She had plenty of examples to provide like parts of Africa, Latin America and even Asia where is some places people don’t even have enough to eat. She could have also taken the opportunity to talk to us, the normal folk, on how we could help and create awareness. Sadly, a missoportunity.

Italy: With a hashtag as #MentalHealth while also being a hospital worker… you are honestly ready to demolish that hashtag. But I’m afraid the language barrier was too strong for Italy because you could see her trying to think how she was going to say in English. Sadly I also think if she could have answered in Italian with a properly trained translator, she could have aced that. I just kept seeing the gears turning in her head and the frustration rising which makes this all the more tragic.

Portugal: Her hashtag was #Justice… and the moment she opened her mouth I knew why my winner was out of the top 4. Since I didn’t see the pageant live, I was extremely surprised to hear she actually didn’t have a spot in the final top. But now seeing how she did not incorporate justice AT ALL in her answer and started talking about Mother Earth I understand why. I have even started to suspect she misunderstood her hashtag because she was answering so confidently yet making ZERO sense. Watching how it unfolds is honestly quite depressing, but understandable why she didn’t go through.

Venezuela: WAIT WAIT WAIT, YOU COULD ACTUALLY ASK FOR TRANSLATORS? And here I was ready to reprimand Miss Earth verbally for not providing translators for Portugal, Italy and the Philippines. But here is Venezuela using one and it was probably the SMARTEST choice of this whole group of girls haha. Anyhow, #Innequality is her hashtag and I have to say as a native spanish speaker, she actually aced it. She was actually more coherent than her translator, seeing how he actually had issues constructing certain parts of the sentence. She kept it short yet on point and exuding confidence that honestly left you like “Oh… OH OKAY, Gurl” honestly the most confident out of the group.

Austria: I hate to say it but honestly she absolutely aced the #Corruption hashtag.. Nothing more to say.

Vietnam: Phuong reminded me of Madison in her final answer when telling the audience that she was going to try her best. Nice move. Now with #Conflict I think she did it pretty decent although to the end I didn’t necessarily love her answer, I think she started way stronger.

Mexico: #Poverty was her word and to be honest she didn’t really delivered as strong an answer as I would have hoped. I understand she didn’t know poverty so she had to ask for the translation but after she was given the word she actually didn’t say much. She even redirected it towards contamination which wasn’t the question to be honest.

[youtube]78JjAGtSbh4[/youtube]
[youtube]RiZGOFJhppM[/youtube]

| Top 4 Announcement & Final Question |

I have to say I am honestly conflicted because to me the only sure placers are Colombia, Austria and Venezuela in terms of the final question. If it’s about the overall performance of the night then Mexico and Vietnam would join Colombia and Venezuela. Italy, Portugal and the Philippines did not deserve a pass given their answers, no matter how you cut it. Mexico had a stronger beginning but Vietnam was the most consistent aaaaand…. In the end I chose Vietnam.

I kinda believe the rumors that Venezuela was the last spot in the Top 4 and that she was cut because she wasn’t available to participate. NOW, that doesn’t mean the Miss Earth Org. acted incorrectly if that were true… the reality is that if a contestant is unconscious backstage the probability of her continuing is slim. Now, if this is true, I would have personally waited a bit or at least made some kind of announcement or something. If that’s true is really saddening because Venezuela was honestly doing amazingly so I was really surprised when I read on instagram she wasn’t on the Top 4. My social media had been buzzing all morning how Venezuela was slaying. And seeing the show completely now I agree, Venezuela was doing great. Unfortunately, the show must go on. Do I think Vietnam took Venezuela spot simply because she was the last called to the top 4? Not really. I don’t think the Miss Earth Org. with 18 years of experience is going to call the names in order of scores. Nor do I believe the ND of Venezuela knows for sure the name of the girl who allegedly replaced his girl. I again don’t think the Org. would give that kind of information to anyone given that that would just bring bad vibes to the girl. But regardless, I’m not mad at the organization if it’s true that the original Top 4 had to be modified.

Now for the Final Question they had to answer was about the most important challenge of our generation, which is the millenials. And the reason why I am not going to review each answer is simple and it was pointed out by the host himself.

They were basically the same answer hahaha. Literally.

So personally to me this portion barely gave them that much in terms of scores so I do think the judges just had to choose who they found the most fitting for the crown. To me it’s a no brainer that it was between Colombia and Vietnam, honestly, the night was Colombia’s and Vietnam has this thing that automatically makes you say she is a queen.

[youtube]nR2ehM8OvmQ[/youtube]

NOW the only comment I have about the crowning moment is that.. Who is that lady who keeps rushing the Miss Water crowning? Like, for real? I was SOOOO annoyed because she even tried to actually crown Valeria, like STOP! Hahaha my mom and I couldn’t handle it to be honest.

[youtube]bQYT6-5ss4E[/youtube]

To be honest, Nguyen is such a stunning candidate that I am kinda sad she is not participating in other pageants. But I know people are not comfortable with that idea *eye roll* so unfortunately I won’t see her in another one. She was my Miss Air in my prediction but honestly I am just super happy that Phuong got to become part of the 2019 hall of fame. Along with Valeria Vazquez they are my Top 2, I have to say that Miss Earth honestly slayed the production and the election of 2018. Honestly I cannot wait until this October’s production and see if my island can finally snatch that last crown because it is honestly getting ANNOYING hahaha. But I have high hopes for my country this year and hopefully Phuong will crown a woman as gorgeous as her.

So this was my small review of the Miss Earth 2018 and hopefully this year you guys will surpass this year so I can make another bigger and better review. Hopefully I’ll get to come back very soon, fingers crossed, and I hope you guys are safe.

See you on the other side,
Duchess

The Duchess
PAGEANT EXPERTS are MASTERS & PROFESSIONAL ANALYSTS of pageantry.
PAGEANT EXPERTS are MASTERS & PROFESSIONAL ANALYSTS of pageantry.

Date of Birth: 01 Sep 1995
Sexual Orientation: Straight
Profession: Costume Design
Hobbies/Interests: Arts, Music, Literature

Re: | THE DUCHESS REVIEWS | MISS EARTH 2018 |

Postby JustinSky » Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:27 am

I think the reason why Italy made it to Top 8 is because the Top 12 round is not called swimsuit competition and parasela is not a big factor. It is called Figure and Form Round. Same goes with Top 18. It's not evening gown round but Beauty of Face. With regards to translators, the candidates are asked if they need a translator or not prior to the finals. Maybe some of them refused to use translators and just answer the questions jn English.

Anyways, take care. I hope there will be no big damage from Hurricane Dorian.
JustinSky
MISSOSOLOGISTS are OFFICIALLY part of the MISSOSOLOGY FAMILY.

Date of Birth: 07 Jul 1998
Sexual Orientation: Bisexual
Profession: Marketing Manager
Hobbies/Interests: Travelling

Postby manoypoe » Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:47 am

Thank you Duchess, it is long wonderful read. Thanks for reliving the moment.
manoypoe
MODERATORS are responsible to maintain order.

Date of Birth: 15 Apr 1975
Sexual Orientation: Asexual
Profession: Assassin of Idiots
Western Zodiac Sign: Taurus
Hobbies/Interests: Web surfing

Postby quelab22 » Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:53 am

Very nice review... All on-point... Until now If Diana did not passed-out during the pageant she may be the 3rd Miss Earth of Venezuela
enjoy and have fun
quelab22
PROFESSIONALS are DIPLOMATIC and QUALITY posters.

Real Life Name/Nick: Quela Andrea... (queng)
Date of Birth: 22 Oct 1993
Profession: escort... of my father
Western Zodiac Sign: Scorpio
Hobbies/Interests: watching fairytales

Postby filipinoako28 » Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:57 am

Don’t you worry. This time around, it will be hard not to place Nellys. She is giving me Katherine Espin vibes wherein it is almost impossible to ignore her. She is checking all the boxes ala Karla Aponte - the main difference, NELLYS CAN TALK - and in many languages at that.
Nice review. It is so fun to read and it felt like I was reliving Miss Earth 2018 through your detailed review. You tell a great story! Love it.
The woman who was trying to crown Miss Earth Water was Madam Peachy Veneracion, one of MEO’s executives. You should have watched Miss Earth AIR 2014 crowning wherein Lorraine Schuck was the one who crowned Andrea Neu of USA. She literally RAMMED that tiara on Andrea’s HEAD! It was sooooo funny. These Carousel execs, Peachy and Lorraine are really awkward which I find super confusing because they were both actresses when they were younger. They tend to be in PANIC mode whenever there is a camera hahahahaha!
I love Miss Earth’s format during coronation night. It confuses many but at least it is no Miss Universe or MW copycat. People just need to get used to it. Also, I kindah wish that after the hashtag round, there is a final look or over all impression round so that those who performed really well but slipped up on the DREADED #HASHTAG round will still have a fighting chance. Also, for the first round wherein they are judged for beauty of face & poise, I want those cameras to zoom in on those FACES and DISPLAYED on the LED’s for a good 5-second frame to make sure that ONLY ELEGANT and FACIALLY BEAUTIFUL girls are advancing.
filipinoako28

Date of Birth: 09 Mar 1983
Sexual Orientation: Gay
Profession: Financial analyst
Western Zodiac Sign: Pisces
Chinese Zodiac: Pig
Hobbies/Interests: Surfing the net

Postby Busyboy » Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:40 am

Thanks for your honest review and for not glossying your words...

True, even die hard Earthlings do get annoyed or disappointed by one thing or another when it comes to Miss Earth's final night (and before and after that actually) but we all move on, just like you... Hahahaha!

I don't want to put my bet on anyone this year because since I started following ME in 2015, all my bets lost, missed the semifinals, or just missed their chances even though the crown is actually theirs to lose already. Sad...

I just wish all the girls, especially Nellys, Emani, and Jociari good health and luck. Fight hard girls!
THE BIG FOUR

M U - M W - M E - M I
Busyboy
ELITES are highly regarded as FINEST posters of Missosology.

Date of Birth: 31 May 1984
Profession: Hobbyist
Western Zodiac Sign: Gemini
Chinese Zodiac: Rat
Hobbies/Interests: Travel/Trivia

Postby melania » Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:35 am

IT SEEMS YOU DONT NOTE QUEEN MADER EARTH
melania
Dark green members are SEMI-ACTIVE posters.
Dark green members are SEMI-ACTIVE posters.

Real Life Name/Nick: melanie
Date of Birth: 28 May 1984
Profession: stylist
Western Zodiac Sign: Gemini
Chinese Zodiac: Goat
Hobbies/Interests: blogging,travelling,counting money

Postby purplesay » Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:40 pm

Great read as always, Duchess! And I hope things are fine over there for you through the storm (and an early happy birthday to you!)
purplesay

Date of Birth: 05 Jul 1987
Profession: Professor finishing up the doctorate
Western Zodiac Sign: Virgo
Chinese Zodiac: Rabbit
Hobbies/Interests: Cooking

Postby manoypoe » Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:06 pm

Keep safe Duchess and all Puerto Ricans. God bless. Advance Happy Birthday.
manoypoe

Date of Birth: 15 Apr 1975
Profession: Assassin of Idiots
Hobbies/Interests: Web surfing

Postby Geeyourhair » Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:23 pm

Nice read. We always have different bets every year and we get disappointed when our bet won't make it. But at the end of the pageant, I will always surrender to the judges choice for as long as it is done in a fair and professional manner like Miss Earth always does. After all, they are the judges and I am just an observer. In 2017, my ultimate bet for the crown is Puerto Rico (Karla) and I was disappointed that she did not even make it to the top 16. But Karen (though not the prettiest) has delivered in the brain department so I believed that the judges was just and fair by choosing her as the winner. This year 2019 I have high hopes for Nelly specially when I heard her talking or making a speech about the amazon. She is locked in my top 4 at this point.
Geeyourhair

Date of Birth: 01 Jan 1995
Profession: Professional
Western Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Hobbies/Interests: social media

Postby Elle » Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:40 pm

I thought this was the 2nd best produced pageant last year.

One thing though, totally agree with you on Austria and I can't help but think she made it coz of her previous ME connections as well her Philipino roots. I think it was Spain who made the top 10 in every category yet she didn't make it to the top 16? Poland as well I think made it to some categories while Austria was not there at all. Point is, there were so much stronger European girls in face/body/ and interview than her as seen on those live prelims. Seems kinda fishy too that her family is now the franchise holder in Austria lol.

Overall though, that top 16 was really good and you can clearly see that the quality of girls are way superior to pageants like Supra and Grand.
Elle

Date of Birth: 21 Dec 1989
Profession: Why does missosology want to know my profession?
Hobbies/Interests: Pageants?

Postby Handsama » Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:25 pm

Awesome review Duchess! :=p Appreciate you spending some of your precious time in coming up with this. Next time...I wanna read your review early! :%))

You and your family be safe, ok? I’m praying for the whole island. PR can’t afford another major hurricane at this time.

The first time I saw Phuong Khan during the North Vietnam casting, I was mesmerized. There was just something in her that screamed Miss Earth. She was my top pick for Asia so imagine how ecstatic I was when she won.

As for Melanie, I really think the judges liked her statuesque beauty. Knowing her background, I knew that she would prove to be formidable in the hashtag and final Q&A segments. To be fair, I suspect that most of the judges that night didn’t even know who she was so the insinuation that she went far because of her mixed heritage was preposterous. Perhaps it helped her during the preliminary competitions but remember that the majority Miss Earth finals’ judges meet the semifinalists for the first time during the actual show. So they have no idea who the fan favorites are, the surprise placements, etc.
Handsama
AMBASSADORS represent their country.
AMBASSADORS represent their country.

Date of Birth: 10 Jan 1987
Profession: Secret
Hobbies/Interests: Reading

Postby koji » Thu Aug 29, 2019 12:51 pm

:=p :=p :=p :=p :=p :=p :=p
koji

Real Life Name/Nick: joey
Date of Birth: 05 May 1989
Sexual Orientation: Not sure
Profession: Farmer
Chinese Zodiac: Snake
Hobbies/Interests: beauty pageant

Return to Miss Earth