| THE DUCHESS MISS UNIVERSE '18 REVIEWS | MALTA |

All TOP QUALITY threads of Missosology

| THE DUCHESS MISS UNIVERSE '18 REVIEWS | MALTA |

Postby The Duchess » Wed Aug 22, 2018 6:27 am

HELLO again my fellow missosologists, for some the third time that we gather here to cover yet another girl for the 2018 Miss Universe pageant. About a week ago we traveled to the african continent to talk about Tamaryn Green, Miss South Africa, and it did quite well. I forwarded the link to Miss SA on facebook which apparently they saw but they didn’t answer so I am not aware if they read it. I did notice yesterday Miss Costa Rica actually saw the review I made for her so I am happy and hopeful that it will be of help to her. More than get views or feedback I truly just want to help these girls achieve their potential because honestly, what it’s better than a Miss Universe full of frontrunners. I don’t want a Miss Universe that is easy to predict with only 3 frontrunner, no I want to be excited and in suspense. And for that I need all the girls I like to be in their best styling and performance to make this edition memorable. Now perhaps some of you may not see this edition’s potential but I do; the Americas seem to be bringing EVERYTHING. I honestly surprised, but these girls specially the smaller countries have been bringing it for months. The smaller sashes are making heavy waves against the majority of the bigger names in Miss Universe, so good job. Now what I been trying to do these past week is create the graphics for multiple girls in advance so I can get to writing at the end. It’s the part that is more fluid and quicker to do for me as I have more affinity with writing than editing pictures. Maybe that will make these reviews come out quicker so that it reaches you guys faster, and I can get some work done before before college starts. So I am in the process of finishing the following girl’s graphics to I can write it, and so on. I want to get at least this series to hit the number seven before college so wish me luck, we are already 3 down and with this system I think I can do it. So to continue my introductory 5 girls I want to go back to a smaller sash which will be Malta, so we can have some variety. Anyways enough talking and I hope you guys enjoy this thread and if you wanna see the other two then feel free to follow the links below.

COSTA RICA
http://missosology.info/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1527010

SOUTH AFRICA
http://missosology.info/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1528982

Now tonight’s featured lady is Miss Francesca Mifsud from the beautiful island of Malta. She was the former Miss Intercontinental Malta last year but couldn’t participate for reasons outside of her control. I have actually crossed paths with this girl a couple times through mutual friends on the web and she always caught my attention mainly because of how she expresses herself. She comes from Zejtun and it is not only a beauty queen but also an athlete as well as an educated lady (we will get into that in a moment). This is only the third time Malta participates in the Miss Universe in 17 years and to me it could be the first time that we will see this island make some waves. As many of you may have notice as of now this threads also function for me to show you who my team is in this pageant. I understand the possibility of the regional Top 16 could potential force many of us to let go of certain girls we may see with potential ect. So before I have to post lists in which I have to think too strategically, I figured I’d just show the girl who compose my Top 7 (Atleast). And this is one of the girls that made it to my Top 50 Queens of 2017 (didn’t get to publish it) precisely because of her potential to become a semifinalist. So let’s go to the mechanics of the thread:

At the beginning I will be choosing a girl from each region to talk about and discuss. Regions are: Americas,Europe, Asia, Africa, Oceania and/or Wildcards.

Each girl will be given an element or item that I believe it’s the element they should model themselves after or try to emulate ex. Gold, Water, Flowers ect.

The girls will be evaluated in Facial Beauty, Body, Styling, Comm Skills, Backstory (to an extent) and how they are doing as of now.

After my evaluation, I will try to go in depth to talk about each area mentioned above and mention pros and cons. Most importantly, how I would fix it.

DISCLAIMERS:
This series of observations are not meant to be a read or an insult against a country and/or contestants, many of you know this about my person.
I will not, I repeat, I WILL NOT be answering to disrespectful comments against a country and/or candidate. If you cannot respect women and/or have a personal vendetta against a queen or country take it to a threat meant for that. This is a serious thread.
I encourage discussions of contestants in the comments and will partake in them if we follow the above disclaimer.

Everything clear? Okay, Let’s Go.

Francesca Mifsud is the representative for the stunning Malta in this edition of the Miss Universe pageant. This is a girl that has gained quite a bit of attention from forumers and pages alike, to the point some people even have her in their Top 5. So I decided enough time has passed for her to have a bit of pictures and information out for me to correctly study her. She is a 22 year old which as I’ve always said it’s a good age for pageantry specially Miss Universe, moreover when the winners in IMG are in this range. We discussed last time about how IMG seemed to prefer 22+ girls to win the pageants ect. She also has the height standing at 5’10” and also having a stylized body that makes her photograph tall and proportioned. This is not her first time in the pageant circle and she finally reached the Miss Universe so that experience might help her. She, to me, just needs to editing in the styling department slightly and perhaps for her organization to expose her a bit more (we will get to that). For her element I chose the EMERALD which is a rejuvenating stone that it speaks of youthfulness and inspiration, amongst other meanings, while also being one of the most elegant.

For those who do not know Francesca, was a law student in the University of Malta pursuing civil and criminal law. I say was because I do remember a post in which she showing her thesis so I think she is either done or close too. So this girl is just not a pretty face but also an educated woman which is something that seems very attractive to this new administration. She is also an athlete having represented the island 3 times in their national basketball team. She also has expressed she practiced a kind of martial art and you can also see her in the Miss Malta pageant doing some boxing sequences. For her advocacies she shows to be very into working against sexual harassment for women and it has been informed to me that she is working to further develop that campaign. It will be called Stand Up and she along with the organization will be doing thing like visiting schools. This is a very important and current advocacy that is gaining speed along the world and it will speak to the masses. I’ve also seen some pictures of her working with animals shelters so it appears that is another one of her advocacies. That personally resonates with me so I think it will resonate with plenty of people too. I have been told her project will be featured and explained a bit more in the future so I would wait so I don’t talk about things I do not know for sure.

Again for the next part we will be talking about what the things that will help her and that could keep her back. And while studying her I realize there’s plenty of things that make her a strong candidate and could get her closer to the crown. Those are her [/i]facial value, her body, her experience in pageantry as well as how she projects on stage. In the areas to watch which as usual will intertwine with her strengths are performance, communication skills and styling which are pretty good as they are but there’s always room to elevate them. Now honestly, the only two things I could see getting in her way are her sash and her sometimes serious aura in pictures. But even those are not even as damming as one might think so I’m very interested as to how this fellow small island will do in Thailand.

Now the reason why this is in the areas to watch is because I’ve only heard her speak during the pageant activities and in last night’s fb live. I do think in the written word and even when speaking she expresses herself very well but I just unfortunately don’t see enough of her in terms of videos. I suggest she goes the Miss Costa Rica way and post more videos saying hi to people or talking to the camera, to not only show us how she expresses herself but also to get in touch with the people. This is the era of social media, beauty queens, royal and even celebrities are more active on it and are more into talking to the public one way or the other. She did a facebook live with . 101 and I have to say I was very surprised by the fluidity in which she talks. She discussed many things, she answered I think all the questions in the comments, she was smiling and didn’t look too nervous. That’s what I like to see candidates do and I think that if they keep training her in interviews she will get a lot better. She is also bilingual which is always a plus and I have to say I love her maltese accent, of course I’m not a linguist but it gives me some italian vibes and I just had to say that haha. In her national pageant she actually answered her question which much fluidity which means she will only need practice. I think she has a lot of potential and that she needs to show people that she does, and like I social media is a great place to start. I want her team to constantly ask her questions and interview her which in her live I heard they will be training her about this. In Puerto Rico we call it “Fogeos” which is simply sessions in which we sit the candidate and ask her an array of different questions from casual ones to “final question” type ones. Women like Mayra Matos excelled in this type of practiced and it showed through her whole reign. So to me they should do the same in Malta in order to make Francesca even better at taking on that last question.

I suggest we watch the facebook live she will have in a couple days on the facebook page of Misso.

[youtube]U-DgiQq4FYs[/youtube]

Okay so here I am going to talk about projection which is what she delivers to the world in terms of personality ect. Perception may be how we receive that message but there’s always something we can do in terms to helping said perception. To me she does project youthfulness and confidence in a way that makes it very appealing to the Miss Universe competition. In the stage she shows that she secure in what she is doing and most importantly that knows what she is doing. She also does not look overconfident or anything negative on the stage which is so important, we don’t need that kind of queen. So I like overall aura that she exudes and from what she said on the live feed she is going to be working to get better at that too. And I noticed on the national pageant, which was actually pretty nice, that all of the contestants where kinda still shy even when they were more bubbly. Now I do not know much about the Maltese so I don’t know if it’s a cultural thing but Francesca looked more confident and I think that’s why she won. Now I wanna talk about why I have seriousness as weakness and what do I mean by that. I am not saying Francesca is a serious women or that she lacks personality, I actually think she has a very nice personality. But in the majority of her professional pictures and many of her candid she has the serious face. As a model I do understand that most modeling jobs are about the fierce serious face, and it looks obviously, but I also wish there were more portraits smiling. Her newest candids do show a bit more smiling and show more of her personality so I do want to see more of that. Now of course her portfolio is pretty good to appeal to IMG’s modeling side but I also want her portfolio too also appeal to Miss Universe’s pageant side.

[youtube]1EmbDBB6c1c[/youtube]
[youtube]SWxxMYmzx0I[/youtube]

Another beautiful slightly toned feminine body to join the ranks of Miss Universe, to me it’s one of her strongest features. Now as we always do we are going to talk about this woman with respect and I suggest you do the same in the comments. Now to me she is very well proportioned which creates very good harmony not only in pictures but also on stage. Again it reminds me of the early 2000’s which to me is so good for pageantry, it’s a nice balance between fitted and well not fitted. She also has these very nice curves, she is not a guitar but also not squared; it looks very natural and fluid. I have noticed something and that is that there are plenty of swimsuits shapes that look very well on her body. And that is very good to give her variety in terms of clothing and swimsuits to bring to Thailand while also is going to help her in the pageant because whatever design MUO chooses, there’s more chances for her to look good.

I think that given this balance her body has most cuts will actually look very good on her and I will go more into depth when we get to the styling area. But I think that as long as she knows her body, which it shows she does, and she doesn’t tone it too much we will be okay. I’m not worried. But enough talking and just look for yourself in the pictures below:

Like I mentioned before the reason why I put performance in areas to watch, and the in the majority of girl’s reviews, it’s simple. Performance can always be improved, no matter what candidate there’s always something to edit. The way we look at the judges, the way we walk or simply how we come down the stairs are relevant to those scores. To me, like I mentioned, Mifsud looks confident on what she is doing and her experience in pageantry shows. I actually saw the whole Miss Malta Universe pageant (which btw deserves a mention) and Francesca not only showcasted the best in stage but she also projected the most confidence. She walks in secure steps and knows how to move her body as she walks, personally I would add some extra flavor to that. Sometimes people equate European queens which shyness, and even sometimes boring. Now I don’t agree with that I just think european queens are a bit more serious on the stage. Which is fine, but we also have to find some balance between flavor and a more reserved nature. So I love when stunning europeans show their personality on the stage, because honestly that stage is what matters when the Top 15 is called. The judges of the interview/prelims will not always be there in the final night, they won’t know you have an incredible mind and personality if you don’t show it on stage and get into the question portion. Now this can also serve for any other candidate not only europeans but I do think that europeans tend to have this issue more. I want Francesca to be the right balance between sassy, bubbly and elegant so I want them to train her constantly on that. She did great in her national pageant then the next step is to do even better in the international pageant. Now in her live feed with . 101 she did inform us that she will be training with a filipino catwalk coach which is apparently the same they used for the national pageant. Now I actually prefer this because I don’t think she will be a good fit for the Latina catwalk, which is fine. I think that people mistake catwalk for a one size fits all, and it's not. It should match the personality an aura of the contestant, all the winners of 2000’s-2010’s are not the same catwalk. They all have different vibes and quirks ect. So she getting an filipino catwalk technique will work better on her than the latina. Imma shut up now.

[youtube]SWxxMYmzx0I[/youtube]

Now let’s talk about her face, which may direct us to other areas such as styling ect. Now to me Francesca has some asymmetry in her eyes and nose and it actually works in this case. She actually has a very beautiful eye shape which to me is her biggest attribute, there’s some depth and fire in them. Her lips are a nice shape too and a good size for her face proportions, she doesn’t look like there’s too much of something. There’s very nice bone structure that doesn’t make her look skinny either so makeup won’t be a problem from her. All of this gives her a specific edge to her face, especially in professional pictures. Tyra Banks would say she is smizing which is actually extremely important in modeling. I am actually not worried about her face because there’s not much you can do to ruin her face and there doesn’t appear to be any intention to doing any of them.

To me, Francesca knows how to dress pretty well and does very nice makeup for herself too. Again just a bit of editing will be okay so she can achieve her keywords which are [b]Elegance and Femininity. I think this girl could achieve the epitome of elegance of those pre-pageant activities and that final night with some beautiful feminine shapes. Below as usual I will be showing you different looks and references as well as give explanation as to the whys. So let’s begin

Let’s talk Haircolors: I would prefer she wore the current dark brown- light brown ombre she has lately because to me it adds some beautiful dimensions to her color. In the upper left examples on the picture above we see the light brown being a lot lighter than her recent pictures but I still think either version looks good on her.

As for hairstyles to me it boils down either straight or wavy which to me look best on her YET only certain styles of each. In the lower examples of the picture below I posted two styles I like the most which are the straight hair behind the ears and the regular big waves. There’s something very regal on her face when she wears this look and it’s perhaps that it gives some interesting twist to the regular straight hair. For the wavy I think it’s a beautiful frame for her face and since the parting of her hair is not on the center of her head it makes it more interesting. I think for the final night I would love to see it on a less tightened version of Catriona’s at Binibining (or a more refined version of the one directly below). It will look elegant and the cascade of hair will give her some very beautiful angles. I’ve seen her wear two types of half ups, one in her national pageant which was wavy and one (below) that was straight and I think she should go for the straight one. So under here I will show you my favorite looks from her so we don’t talk to much hahaha which I am already doing.

Makeup is the part which I think she actually has no problems with, from her profile I gather she mostly uses either a more nude look or a look with vibrant eyes. And since she knows makeup balance she pairs said vibrant eyes with a soft lip, as one should. So I actually don’t fear for her makeup in Thailand, she seems to know what she is doing actually so consider me happy.

Personally I will love to see her in some dark green eyeshadow shades which I think will bring out that beautiful eye color. For lips if she wants to try to wear reds they should be darker and lined ect, the perfect dark red if you must.

Now again we will discuss fashion and I will try to keep it short because I just want to send across a few suggestions for her wardrobe. Again the main purpose of these suggestions and pieces if to make her look elegant and feminine.

The three pieces I show above are three important types of outfits I want her to have and those are dresses and jumpsuits. Jumpuits (center) are always very fresh and juvenile that look very well on tall women, her body would look great on these. Now the V necks for her should never be completely open and deep enough to see her stomach haha. She has a very nice chest that would look beautiful on a small V neckline, again finding the right balance. Jumpsuit can look both casual and also formal depending on fabric and accessories, to me it’s a very versatile clothing style. I think she should also bring long formal dresses and to me she has the curves to pull off a tighter dress. The example above (right) represents more a tight dress than a revealing dress because to me she actually can wear plenty of necklines, her shape allows that. I would even like her to try higher necklines just to see if those could also showcase her shape. As for interview gowns (left) I decided to go for feminine cuts like the mid calf lengths that are used lately. That length balances out the sexyness of the tightness very well, and the cold shoulder sleeves always look feminine. And yes I always add those sleeves because they look good on almost everybody, I use them constantly myself. Also another choice is shorter fuller skirts like the one she used in her national interview day, pictured below.

I added a graphic just to show you guys the colors I would love to see her try in these following months because I think she would look beautiful in those. The pictures are not to showcase fabrics but colors, mainly purples and reds as well as greens and blues. With the last one she can actually pull of several types of blues which is great to create variety. I also think she could wear patterns specially stripes to create some balance with the solid colors.

Now for her final dress I would like for her to wear a dark red like the one in the graphic, not only does it look good on her but she appears to be very fun of her. Red is a very regal color and always looks good in complexions like hers as well as the Miss Universe stage. The cut in the chest here which a “u” shape is very beautiful and gives a twist on the normal strapless. The fit of this dress would show off her body although I would personally add off shoulder sleeves and I would turn the bottom into a mermaid bottom. I would add a bit of small golden accents somewhere around the dress because if my suspicious are true that stage could potentially have them too. If the internet wasn’t such a shady place I would actually illustrate these dresses but you know, dresses can’t be copyrighted hahaha. But it would be so much easier to explain haha.

*The gown in the graphic reflects more of my desired shape and/or feel, not necessarily the fabric. To me the bottom of the gown should be more mermaid and perhaps with some slight stonework.

Like we talked about in our first review, IMG doesn’t really seem to care much for sash factor but we still discuss just in case. The reality is that Malta simply has no sash factor whatsoever, they have never placed in the Miss Universe competition. After their post 2001 hiatus they still failed to place their last two girls too so I can see how some people may underestimate Malta. Now, different organizations react differently to their statistics in pageants; while some lose focus or desire others rise and get more competitive. I hope this organization is an example on the later because this year to me they have a chance of cracking that Top 15. Also first time placers are always happening in Miss Universe, so I do think this organization can place easily if it does what they need to elevate Mifsud.

___________________________________________________________________________________

For the next 4 months I want Francesca to train train train so she can give the best performance she can. I think she is fully capable of giving Malta its first placement AND take them extremely far into the competition. Like she says herself… she wants to make her country proud and I am confident that she will be able to. I find this girl to have the necessary potential to make waves in Thailand and in the hearts of many fans. So I need her trained and styled like there was no tomorrow and I want that personality to come through. She has a very interesting aura on her that I think will resonate with the judges at Miss Universe. I hope you guys research this girl so you guys get to see the potential I see, and not to underestimate her. I also hope this was to some use to her organization or herself because at the end of the day that’s kind of the point of these threads.

Thank you so much for reading this installment and hopefully you will join me next time.

*Thank you to whoever is responsible for the videos, pictures and fonts used in my graphics*

XX, The Duchess

Ps. Honestly these just get exponentially more nerve wracking for me with each installment, I still need to make them smaller so I don’t overtalk haha
[/b]

The Duchess
PAGEANT EXPERTS are MASTERS & PROFESSIONAL ANALYSTS of pageantry.

Date of Birth: 01 Sep 1995
Sexual Orientation: Straight
Profession: Costume Design
Hobbies/Interests: Arts, Music, Literature

Re: | THE DUCHESS MISS UNIVERSE '18 REVIEWS | MALTA |

Postby Pawee » Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:45 am

great review! i share your speacial feature on Missosology FB page.. looking forward to more reviews. :)
Pawee
ADMINS are OFFICIAL staffers of Missosology.
ADMINS are OFFICIAL staffers of Missosology.

Date of Birth: 09 Nov 2009

Postby meow-meow » Wed Aug 22, 2018 3:25 pm

One more great review! :=p

I don't know...I'm not that wowed with Malta as other forumers are. I'm 50/50 with her. Hit or miss!
meow-meow
PIONEERS are the most experienced members of Missosology.
PIONEERS are the most experienced members of Missosology.

Real Life Name/Nick: Μαριέλα
Date of Birth: 15 Dec 1985
Sexual Orientation: Asexual
Profession: ♚~Princess~♚
Western Zodiac Sign: Sagittarius
Chinese Zodiac: Ox
Hobbies/Interests: Beauty, Animals, Food...anything cute and girly!

Postby SGA » Thu Aug 23, 2018 12:47 am

Another in-depth review! :7 :7

You want her to stick with the brown / dark brown color hair. Does she have any photo with black hair? I think it would look good on her.

My favorite photo of her is the one in the blue 2 piece bathing suit.

I had not noticed the slight asymmetry of her face.
SGA
ELITES are highly regarded as FINEST posters of Missosology.

Date of Birth: 22 May 1993
Profession: :)
Western Zodiac Sign: Taurus
Hobbies/Interests: :)(:):

Postby lesham » Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:06 am

Another great assessment from you Duchess! :!! :!!

So far, Malta is one of the most gorgeous European delegate this year. If she continues to make improvements on herself, she will place high.
Thank you FunX3 for this amazing collage!
ALPHA OF 2010s
MW-2013
MU-1969,1973,2015,2018
MI-1964,1970,1979,2005,2013,2016
ME-2008,2014,2015,2017
MS- 2013
MIC- 2018, 2021
lesham

Real Life Name/Nick: Lesham
Date of Birth: 22 Nov 1997
Profession: Student
Western Zodiac Sign: Scorpio
Chinese Zodiac: Ox
Hobbies/Interests: Pageants

Postby Clorentine » Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:17 am

she is an strong contestant, very Evelina Papantinou, she just have to be there to look amazing, but, her speech is a little bit to plain though, is like she is relaying on her beauty, she is eloquent but not charming at all, a little bit boring
Clorentine
CORRESPONDENTS are OFFICIAL pageant REPORTERS & PHOTOGRAPHERS of Missosology.

Date of Birth: 21 Dec 1991
Profession: My hobbies
Chinese Zodiac: Goat
Hobbies/Interests: Boss people around
Message: Im here to criticize haha, thats what you all do right!!??

Postby ne0n » Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:32 pm

She is gorgeous and has strong criteria, no doubt. But there is something missing, I don't know...call it the it-factor or x-factor. It's a shame really since I like to root for the underdog and she deserves to place. Hope she defy expectations and wow everyone once competiton starts.
ne0n

Real Life Name/Nick: ne0n
Date of Birth: 04 Apr 2010
Profession: Medical
Western Zodiac Sign: Aries
Chinese Zodiac: Tiger
Hobbies/Interests: Pageants

Postby valleriam » Sat Aug 25, 2018 4:35 pm

Beauty wise, she's just OK. Her face is average and needs tons of production to look queenly. However, she does have a great frame and seems like she will arrive prepared for the competition. As of now, I can see her as a semifinalist...
MY FINAL CHOICES FOR MISS UNIVERSE 2022:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1954551
valleriam

Date of Birth: 24 Jan 1988
Profession: HBIC
Hobbies/Interests: Beauty

Postby Anne Steph » Sun Aug 26, 2018 1:41 pm

valleriam wrote:Beauty wise, she's just OK. Her face is average and needs tons of production to look queenly. However, she does have a great frame and seems like she will arrive prepared for the competition. As of now, I can see her as a semifinalist...

I hope she will reach semi-final. She is very far from my country Miss Malaysia 2018 Jane. Surely she will rank top 60. Miss Malta has everything in her. I love her too.
Anne Steph

Real Life Name/Nick: GIGI
Date of Birth: 17 Sep 1968
Profession: Accounts Executive
Western Zodiac Sign: Virgo
Chinese Zodiac: Monkey
Hobbies/Interests: Travelling, Singing, Listening Music, Bowling

Postby straydog » Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:31 am

Yeah great assessment! Malta is coming strong this year!! Wow is all I can say
straydog
MISSOSOLOGISTS are OFFICIALLY part of the MISSOSOLOGY FAMILY.
MISSOSOLOGISTS are OFFICIALLY part of the MISSOSOLOGY FAMILY.

Real Life Name/Nick: Woofhann Sebastian Bark
Date of Birth: 31 Aug 1962
Profession: Caribbean Shepherd
Western Zodiac Sign: Leo
Chinese Zodiac: Dog
Hobbies/Interests: Walkin' those streets, munchin' those boxes
Message: Long time reader. Hope to join in on the fun and excitement! :)

Return to SEAL OF EXCELLENCE