THE BIG QUESTION - India’s failure at the Big 5

Forum rules
Welcome to Missosology! RULES: Freedom of speech allowed but 1. NO CROSSING LIMITS AS DIRECT RACIST REMARKS, NUDE OR VIOLENT PICS. 2. NO SPAMMING/FLOODING 3. NO ADVERTISING 4. NO BLACKMAILING/VIOLATING/DIVULGING PRIVACY/personal infos of members as posting their real life pic/real life name without their consent. 5. NO AVENGING/ATTACKING MEMBERS ON THEIR PHYSICAL LOOKS 6. NO REPUTATION BUTTON ABUSE. Any question, feel free to post in the Help Desk section till a Moderator/Admin responds. HAVE FUN!

Re: THE BIG QUESTION - India’s failure at the Big 5

Postby MissoCA » Wed Dec 23, 2015 6:18 am

Pilorectus wrote:
wingsofnightingale wrote:
MissoCA wrote:
MissoCA wrote:
Pilorectus wrote:You are the biggest HYPOCRITE and you should be ashamed of yourself! You werent saying all these shit a week or two weeks ago. You were all praised and so CONFIDENT that MISS INDIA would make it, she's the best, the most beautiful, she's gonna win..blah blah. You OVERHYPED INDIA so much yo even fooled people for putting India on their list. And now , you're saying she's unprepared, overconfident, wardrobe sucked, bad styling, etc. etc. YOU ARE A BUFFOON!!

Thank you! This is a great response! All Indian forumers are like that it seems. They gloat and crow until they're backed into a corner and then they become saints and martyrs all of a sudden. I've learned over the years that you also have to be very careful trusting these people. You always have to watch your back when you're around them. Case and point, in the engineering world! Maybe not all, but most are straight up backstabbers. They will throw you under the bus if it means getting ahead. They'll smile in your face and talk about you behind your back. They're masters at manipulating your words and fabricating stories to make it seem like it's the truth. These threads are merely a charade so look past it and don't be fooled. Next year, I assure you, it'll start over again. They come out firing and claiming to be the best at everything and that they're going to take over. When they fail, they all become pageant scholars, pretending to be the most educated and sincere! It's all BS.

did an indian dump you :-O

[size=150]Here's another pompous response. What makes you think I'm even interested in Indians? No thank you. I like the food, but not the men. You couldn't pay me enough. LMAO.
[/size]

yes you are interested. else you would not be knowing so much about indians. now don't tell me you are not....hope that guy who dumped you gets back to you, :=p

INDIAN women are exotic and pretty. Indian men, however. No Thank you!

LMAO, Indian men are gross and they're pervs too. The older ones especially! There's an old Indian prick at work always telling people how curry keeps him hard. LOL. Anyway, I have never met a single Indian man with sexy qualities. Uggghhhhyyyeeeeyuck!!!

MissoCA
MISSOSOLOGISTS are OFFICIALLY part of the MISSOSOLOGY FAMILY.

Real Life Name/Nick: Allie
Date of Birth: 21 Dec 1996
Sexual Orientation: Straight
Profession: Consumer - the pricier the better
Western Zodiac Sign: Aries
Hobbies/Interests: Fashion, style, and hot guys of course.

Postby wingsofnightingale » Wed Dec 23, 2015 6:19 am

jokes apart, we reached page 2...i want my thread to be the trending topic of the forum >:)
wingsofnightingale
BEAUTY EXPERTS have very GOOD TASTE in beauty.

Real Life Name/Nick: Alston
Date of Birth: 04 Dec 1989
Sexual Orientation: Asexual
Profession: Fashion editor
Western Zodiac Sign: Sagittarius
Hobbies/Interests: Goddesses

Postby MissoCA » Wed Dec 23, 2015 6:22 am

jokes apart, we reached page 2...i want my thread to be the trending topic of the forum >:)

[size=150]LMAO, I wasn't joking! Indian men are disgusting! LOL. Sorry if you thought I was joking. but yes, I'll leave the thread now so your topic can trend in the forum! LMAO.
[/size]
MissoCA

Postby wingsofnightingale » Wed Dec 23, 2015 6:26 am

this thread has been made out of passion n dedication that comes straight from the heart...so i have ignored the trolls for the time being.. :)>-

wingsofnightingale

Postby MissoCA » Wed Dec 23, 2015 6:51 am

this thread has been made out of passion n dedication that comes straight from the heart...so i have ignored the trolls for the time being.. :)>-

Passion and dedication?! Pssshhhhhhhh, dude you're fake. Like I said before, this is all a charade to coverup your "fakeness". You were gushing over Miss India and you announced she would win, and now all of a sudden, you're the saving grace of Femina and you have all the answers??! Wasn't Urvashi your answer to everything?! You have no honor and you're fake and some of us see through it! Sorry fool.
MissoCA

Postby Leon Mark » Wed Dec 23, 2015 6:56 am

A WORTH READING POST... I READ EVERY DETAILS
AND THIS POST IS A FRESH BREATH OF AIR FROM
YOU, YOU SHOWED A DIFFERENT SIDE OF YOU,
I FEEL THE SINCERITY AND YOUR LOVE FOR
MISS INDIA PAGEANT... AND I WOULD SAY THAT
YOU DESERVE THAT PAGEANT EXPERT TAG AND
I THINK IF YOU WOULD GIVEN A CHANCE
YOU CAN BE A GOOD ADVISER FOR MISS INDIA ORGANIZATION
ALL OF YOUR POINTERS CAN BE APPLIED
NOT JUST FOR YOUR COUNTRY BUT FOR
ALL PAGEANT FRANCHISE HOLDERS IN THIS WORLD
ImageImage

===== DEMONYO NG MISSO =====
Leon Mark
SUPER STARS are POPULAR or CHARISMATIC posters.
SUPER STARS are POPULAR or CHARISMATIC posters.

Real Life Name/Nick: Leonmark
Date of Birth: 12 Dec 2012
Sexual Orientation: Bicurious
Profession: Dog trainer and Part time Pole Dancer
Chinese Zodiac: Ox
Hobbies/Interests: Food, Travel, Computer Games, Music, Fashion.

Postby wingsofnightingale » Wed Dec 23, 2015 7:31 am

Leon Mark wrote:A WORTH READING POST... I READ EVERY DETAILS
AND THIS POST IS A FRESH BREATH OF AIR FROM
YOU, YOU SHOWED A DIFFERENT SIDE OF YOU,
I FEEL THE SINCERITY AND YOUR LOVE FOR
MISS INDIA PAGEANT... AND I WOULD SAY THAT
YOU DESERVE THAT PAGEANT EXPERT TAG AND
I THINK IF YOU WOULD GIVEN A CHANCE
YOU CAN BE A GOOD ADVISER FOR MISS INDIA ORGANIZATION
ALL OF YOUR POINTERS CAN BE APPLIED
NOT JUST FOR YOUR COUNTRY BUT FOR
ALL PAGEANT FRANCHISE HOLDERS IN THIS WORLD

thank you very much for appreciating. i hope my words reach the concerned people.
wingsofnightingale

Postby Izna » Wed Dec 23, 2015 9:10 am

very well written. it is helpful not just for india but national directors around the globe =D>
Izna

Date of Birth: 12 Apr 1995
Profession: Salsa Dancer
Western Zodiac Sign: Leo
Hobbies/Interests: Pageants

Postby lesham » Wed Dec 23, 2015 10:43 am

I'm kinda skeptical with your intentions Wings especially on your last thread about envying my country for winning crowns. With so many antics you've done in the past, it's kinda hard to believe on you. But I just wanna say that I hope that the organizations in your country (Femina and the franchise holder of Misses Earth and International) should reinvent themselves to make them appealing to the Indian masses. I noticed that you're not sending any superbeauties nowadays unlike in 90s (MW 1994 and 2000 and Miss Universe 2000) which is kinda sad since our country used to idolized your country before. These organizations need to reinvent so that they could attract potential ladies to compete internationally. Just like what happened to our country in 2010. After we placed in the Top 5, beauty handlers scouted and trained potential girls and now we are reaping what we sow. Your country should have grabbed that opportunity after placing in Miss Universe 2012. Nevertheless, I hope your country would be back in the limelight like what it used to before. :=p
Thank you FunX3 for this amazing collage!
ALPHA OF 2010s
MW-2013
MU-1969,1973,2015,2018
MI-1964,1970,1979,2005,2013,2016
ME-2008,2014,2015,2017
MS- 2013
MIC- 2018, 2021
lesham
ELITES are highly regarded as FINEST posters of Missosology.

Real Life Name/Nick: Lesham
Date of Birth: 22 Nov 1997
Profession: Student
Western Zodiac Sign: Scorpio

Postby wingsofnightingale » Wed Dec 23, 2015 12:30 pm

lesham wrote:
I'm kinda skeptical with your intentions Wings especially on your last thread about envying my country for winning crowns. With so many antics you've done in the past, it's kinda hard to believe on you. But I just wanna say that I hope that the organizations in your country (Femina and the franchise holder of Misses Earth and International) should reinvent themselves to make them appealing to the Indian masses. I noticed that you're not sending any superbeauties nowadays unlike in 90s (MW 1994 and 2000 and Miss Universe 2000) which is kinda sad since our country used to idolized your country before. These organizations need to reinvent so that they could attract potential ladies to compete internationally. Just like what happened to our country in 2010. After we placed in the Top 5, beauty handlers scouted and trained potential girls and now we are reaping what we sow. Your country should have grabbed that opportunity after placing in Miss Universe 2012. Nevertheless, I hope your country would be back in the limelight like what it used to before. :=p

atleast am honest about my feelings n i do look upto the philippines for their recent success in the international pageants. with that said i feel that all your representatives who won internationally deserve their success. plus i am not putting down your victories in anyway like some haters are doing. coming back to femina, i think there are not one but lot of changes needed which i don't see happening in the near future n am just being honest about it...i know even this thread will go unnoticed but i still posted it as my duty n passion for pageantry. :)>-
wingsofnightingale

Postby lesham » Wed Dec 23, 2015 1:00 pm

lesham wrote:

atleast am honest about my feelings n i do look upto the philippines for their recent success in the international pageants. with that said i feel that all your representatives who won internationally deserve their success. plus i am not putting down your victories in anyway like some haters are doing. coming back to femina, i think there are not one but lot of changes needed which i don't see happening in the near future n am just being honest about it...i know even this thread will go unnoticed but i still posted it as my duty n passion for pageantry. :)>-

That's good. At least you appreciated our queens. I commend you for being a sport. I now understand your feelings. It's just a feeling of frustration since your country performed well before. I also wanted to thank you for loving Megan and Pia. We hope we could find a lady who is equally stunning as Pia and Megan. Now going back to India's problem, honestly, if you want to implement or suggest changes in the organization then I suggest you make online petitions and ask for media attention. In that way Femina would be pressured to do the right thing. We made an online petition to Stella to allow our Binibini queens to wear Filipino designed gowns and luckily the media here noticed that and the rest was history. It might take a long wait but who knows your efforts would be fruitful. To be honest, I really wanted to see Philippines and India in the Final 2. I think that would be an epic moment. So I hope that Femina would realize their mistakes and crown the right girl with a great amount of passion and perseverance to win a crown for India. :=p
Thank you FunX3 for this amazing collage!
ALPHA OF 2010s
MW-2013
MU-1969,1973,2015,2018
MI-1964,1970,1979,2005,2013,2016
ME-2008,2014,2015,2017
MS- 2013
MIC- 2018, 2021
lesham

Real Life Name/Nick: Lesham
Date of Birth: 22 Nov 1997

Postby Stoichio » Wed Dec 23, 2015 8:06 pm

Before I discovered Misso, I used to cheer for India everytime they place in pageants especially those beautiful Indians that placed in Miss Universe, MW & MI. But when I discovered Misso and found out that the number 1 bashers of the Philippines are Indians, it totally changed the way I see Indian girls in pageants.

LEARN FROM PINOYS:
When our girls didn't place or were not competitive enough in all aspects, we never blame it on other countries' placement or success. We have always blamed our national directors. NOW, we are reaping the fruit of that.

Stoichio
PAGEANT EXPERTS are MASTERS & PROFESSIONAL ANALYSTS of pageantry.

Date of Birth: 01 Jan 2011
Sexual Orientation: -----------
Profession: Number 1
Hobbies/Interests: Nature tripping

Postby Jon A » Thu Dec 24, 2015 8:11 pm

Stoichio wrote:Before I discovered Misso, I used to cheer for India everytime they place in pageants especially those beautiful Indians that placed in Miss Universe, MW & MI. But when I discovered Misso and found out that the number 1 bashers of the Philippines are Indians, it totally changed the way I see Indian girls in pageants.

LEARN FROM PINOYS:
When our girls didn't place or were not competitive enough in all aspects, we never blame it on other countries' placement or success. We have always blamed our national directors. NOW, we are reaping the fruit of that.

Neither statement is true.
For years Pinoys went on about sash factor at Miss Universe
Also, Pinoys are the #1 bashers of every other country in the forum
Jon A

Date of Birth: 19 Jan 1973
Profession: consultant
Western Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Hobbies/Interests: Reading, Travelling, Pageants

Postby Jon A » Thu Dec 24, 2015 8:37 pm

Wings, great thread.

I think the reasons are more simple:

1. Pick the RIGHT girl - it is the selection system that is at fault.
1a) LOOK FOR BALANCE: At it's peak, Miss India worked perfectly because they selected girls with the right BALANCE of attributes -- they had beauty, eloquence, stage presence, confidence, intelligence. I'll take the case of one of our most iconic winners - Lara - she was far from the most beautiful girl at Miss India, but at the same time, she was not only a speaking machine - she was actually pretty and fit. After 2000, they started swinging wildly from side to side picking either the best looking girl or the most well spoken girl. This is NOT the formula, particularly for MW. This year's selection of Aditi is a classic example - confident, very well spoken, but just not pretty enough to merit the main crown! I will say the same with Koyal last year - beautiful, but not confident and articulate enough - they should have picked someone like Nikhila or Ashwati or TJ.

1b) LOOK FOR INTERNATIONAL APPEAL: At its peak, Miss India always had a diverse, international jury. We've had Michael Stich, Cindy Crawford, Marcus Swarovski. Where are all these people now? It's always John Abraham and Shilpa Shetty and Chitrangada Singh. What appeals to Indians is quite different than what appeals to a global audience. Not to say that we must ignore the former, but again, a mix is important. I truly think a more diverse audience would have selected Nicole Faria for example, as Miss India and we WOULD have had our Miss World! The look that works best internationally is the one that is identifiable as typically Indian - Nicole, Natasha Suri, Priyanka Chopra....I think we need to get past this lily white, could be Miss Slovakia look and really pick the girls with the most distinctive features.

1c) FIX THE FORMAT: I would not get rid of the interview. It has been instrumental in getting us the caliber of girls that get to the winner's circle, and India's unique asset is its spirituality and the thoughtfulness its women are able to express. But you need a format that balances it - and in my opinion, the original MW/Miss Universe format is the best - 2 presentation rounds and one interview round to get to the top 5 then a common question. This balances looks, charm/eloquence/intelligence + poise. THAT is a winning formula. SHOW THE SCORES!!!

2: TRAIN THE WINNERS:
This was India (and Venezuela's) unique strength - and in my opinion, the extended training period the MW reps got (as opposed to Miss Universe reps, when Miss Universe was a summer pageant - the girls got only 5 months of prep, the MW reps got a year) was responsible for the better results we got at MW, and this is where things have fallen apart. It is very inconsistent now and varies from girl to girl. It does not have to be dramatic, but it needs to be consistent, and focused. For example, look at Philippines World - they don't get much time but they use it very wisely.

2b) STYLE THEM RIGHT!! I agree with some of the observations about hair and makeup - although I don't think this has been a real problem - most of the girls have turned up looking very good at their pageants - Noyo, even Aditi looked so much better than at Miss India. However, there is no question that when we see the winners POST their reigns, they look so much better - like Sarah Jane or Manasvi...Femina needs to invest in a styling session with the country's top stylists to find the "look" for each winner at her pageant.
2c) DRESS THEM INDIAN!! What is missing is the unique Indian element - the sarees, the lehengas, the jewelery that used to distinguish Miss India from the crowd in the 90s. Now the girls just blend in. they pick all these designers who are trying to cater to a globalizing market, but it fails them in the pageants. Again, not to say that they need to wear bindis and sarees non-stop, but a mix would be nice. The ONLY girl who did this, and managed to stand out for her outfits is Koyal, who had a naturally sophisticated sense of style. Aditi and Urvashi were absolute disasters. I didn't like a single outfit - Aditi's looked so plain and Urvashi's looked hookerlicious. Rocky S was an unqualified disaster, he should never return.
2d) MENTALLY PREPARE THEM: I like the idea of giving the girls psychological training - again, this is something Femina used to do, with the Art of Living courses - they seem to have abandoned that now. But look how it helped girls like Yukta Mookhey shine when it mattered! Bring that back. Pageants are a pressure cooker, and every bit of strength is necessary to survive and shine at the right moment!
And yes, give them exposure - to TV, to events, to speeches - all these build self confidence, composure, presence of mind...the more used you get to the cameras, the stage, the interactions with fans and dignitaries, the better you will actually do all these things at the pageant.

I think we will get our winners soon - we've certainly come close enough with the minor pageants, and just need to stay the course, and hope for a lucky break.
Jon A

Date of Birth: 19 Jan 1973
Profession: consultant
Hobbies/Interests: Reading, Travelling, Pageants

Postby bloomfield » Fri Dec 25, 2015 3:35 am

I think FEMINA should take back the franchise. Their girls are more appealing and pretty. Since the franchise went from one org. to the other, it got messed up. So, FEMINA should think about it.
bloomfield

Real Life Name/Nick: ton
Date of Birth: 21 Sep 1985
Sexual Orientation: Bicurious
Profession: pt
Western Zodiac Sign: Virgo
Hobbies/Interests: tennis, movies,driving

Postby fermnedoza » Fri Dec 25, 2015 7:08 am

bloomfield wrote:I think FEMINA should take back the franchise. Their girls are more appealing and pretty. Since the franchise went from one org. to the other, it got messed up. So, FEMINA should think about it.

But Femina still owns and holds the franchises; they merely re -branded.

@ Wings; My congratulations to you for having that courage to take the first step of recognizing your country's mistakes and weaknesses in the global pageant scenes. This is a good first step. Your words and ideas are the same thoughts and opinions I once tried to convey to your compatriots in a predominantly India FB pageant group; sadly they are too busy convincing themselves that everything is perfect in your corner and considered my critique as mere bashing. Hope you post this article there in my hope that they now listen to these ideas since their fellow Indian is now its messenger.
fermnedoza
PROFESSIONALS are DIPLOMATIC and QUALITY posters.
PROFESSIONALS are DIPLOMATIC and QUALITY posters.

Real Life Name/Nick: fernan
Date of Birth: 19 Sep 1975
Profession: sales representative
Chinese Zodiac: Rabbit
Hobbies/Interests: reading books and browsing the internet.
Message: thanks for offering us a site where we could share ideas and share our passion for beauty pageants.

Postby wingsofnightingale » Fri Dec 25, 2015 2:27 pm

Stoichio wrote:Before I discovered Misso, I used to cheer for India everytime they place in pageants especially those beautiful Indians that placed in Miss Universe, MW & MI. But when I discovered Misso and found out that the number 1 bashers of the Philippines are Indians, it totally changed the way I see Indian girls in pageants.

LEARN FROM PINOYS:

i don't think femina would be crowning any worth supporting beauty in the near future. for me, their standards have completely fallen. n i can say this looking at the kind of girls being selected at the regional auditions. just yesterday a regional pageant took place n look at the winners. they got no facial beauty in the first place. so i have totally given up on femina.

the girl in the middle is already an official contestant of femina miss india this year :zzz

wingsofnightingale

Postby wingsofnightingale » Fri Dec 25, 2015 2:31 pm

fermnedoza wrote:
bloomfield wrote:I think FEMINA should take back the franchise. Their girls are more appealing and pretty. Since the franchise went from one org. to the other, it got messed up. So, FEMINA should think about it.

But Femina still owns and holds the franchises; they merely re -branded.

@ Wings; My congratulations to you for having that courage to take the first step of recognizing your country's mistakes and weaknesses in the global pageant scenes. This is a good first step. Your words and ideas are the same thoughts and opinions I once tried to convey to your compatriots in a predominantly India FB pageant group; sadly they are too busy convincing themselves that everything is perfect in your corner and considered my critique as mere bashing. Hope you post this article there in my hope that they now listen to these ideas since their fellow Indian is now its messenger.

don't mind those indians..they are delusional. they can only support mediocre girls who are good for clapping n nothing else.
wingsofnightingale

Postby FilipinaBeauty » Sat Dec 26, 2015 10:37 am

I believe wings will be a great national director or pageant instuctor!
All of what u've said are very true!
FilipinaBeauty

Real Life Name/Nick: chelle16
Date of Birth: 08 Sep 1988
Profession: Engineer
Chinese Zodiac: Dragon
Hobbies/Interests: Pageant fanatic

Postby Almada » Sun Dec 27, 2015 7:30 am

There are quite a number of factors to consider. I think wings, you and Jon A have outlined it really well. Firstly there are no high calibre candidates participating in the contest. Contestants like Aishwarya , Priyanka and Lara who are go-getters and winners from day 1 are not to be seen at all. The winners crowned post our glory period in the 90's, most of them lack in some department or the other. Examples are aditi, this year Typical miss india in terms of speaking ability but not a beauty and Koyal on the other hand, a beauty but weak communication skills and the list can go on with Navneet, Amrita and Nikita . I believe we lost Urvashi solely because of styling, I dont see any other major reason for her exclusion. Opportunities have grown elsewhere for girls to be successful like reality shows and other modelling avenues.

Secondly, management of Times Group. And this involves everything. From training the girls in every aspect, to providing them with a diverse and suitable wardrobe, From providing them with the media exposure be it in print or television, events, appearances and interviews so as to increase their level of comfort with the camera and audience,their scheduling, food , exercise and all that is required for their respective pageants. We always had the example of Venezuela. Look how they train their girls, and now even the Philippines. But they just dont want learn.

Even the mental makeup of the girls should be such that they are able to handle pressure, quick thinking, know what is suitable for them, friendly , focused and have the burning desire to win like the Venezuelans and the Filipinos. No point being in the contest if you dont want to win. As lara mentioned in one of the interviews, she wants a girl having her own individuality to represent India, not a wannabe.

Lastly the support that they get from their countrymen and the promotion that they receive post their international crowning.A very good example is the Philippines. I mean just look at the level of passion and the support that they give their candidates. I dont know upto what level is this even possible in India where beauty pageants seem irrelevant nowadays. But this factor is really instrumental in making a candidate go out of the way and give her best because she knows that she is on the receiving end of the such a level of support from her whole country.This is really overwhelming for both the candidate and the countrymen when they unite their passion.

As for this year, I didnt have any high hopes from Aditi, honestly. As for Urvashi, we lost her to styling. And the representatives to Miss Earth and Miss International, i better not comment on it. All i Can say is RIP.
Almada

Date of Birth: 20 Dec 1992
Western Zodiac Sign: Pisces
Chinese Zodiac: Monkey
Hobbies/Interests: Reading and dancing
Message: If eyes are meant for seeing,then beauty is its owns reason for being.

Postby Gabriella_Ferrari » Sun Dec 27, 2015 9:18 am

India was Asia's powerhouse in Miss Universe and Miss World during 90s and early 2000s. It was really impressive that after a win in 1994, they finished first runner-up the following year and continued to place in more than a decade.

I hope your country will bring back its glory in pageantry soon.
MU- 1979, 1981, 1986, 1996, 2008, 2009 and 2013
MW- 1955, 1981, 1984, 1991, 1995 and 2011
MI- 1985, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2010 and 2015
ME- 2005 and 2013
Gabriella_Ferrari

Date of Birth: 04 May 1998
Profession: Print Ad Model
Western Zodiac Sign: Taurus
Hobbies/Interests: Boy hunting

Postby SHREWD » Sun Dec 27, 2015 11:45 am

The failure of India in the Big 5 pageants in 2015 is a reflection of Femina's outdated strategy and unequal treatment to the major pageants. Femina burned its bridges with Miss Earth and Miss International just because of their non-placement for several years which is the biggest mistake they have ever made! They should have taken it as a 'challenge' and not as a personal grievance towards these two pageants. :=p

On Urvashi's case, her organization should have thought her proper styling and not to dwell on heavy make-up and very 1980s hairstyles. Lastly, she should have learned from her organization the meaning of the words 'humility' and 'sportsmanship' before she went to Las Vegas. :)>-
SHREWD
AMBASSADORS represent their country.
AMBASSADORS represent their country.

Date of Birth: 01 Nov 1988
Profession: N/A
Hobbies/Interests: Events

Postby JamesCedricLim » Sun Dec 27, 2015 12:20 pm

I know India will bounce back with proper training, new strategies and selecting right winner you will be up again. Sometime things happen like this for us to realise that something is lacking and should be improve.

Good like India in 2016... >=p
JamesCedricLim

Real Life Name/Nick: JamesLIM
Date of Birth: 27 Nov 1982
Profession: Accountant
Chinese Zodiac: Dog
Hobbies/Interests: Baseball

Postby filboy1980 » Mon Dec 28, 2015 3:22 pm

Jon A, this is such an impressive and well-thought of post. I am a huge fan of Indian beauty queens because they tend to have this innate inner strength and spirituality. I totally agree with 2d - psychological-mental preparation. Aside from their physical beauty, Indian beauty queens have this unique propensity to draw from their inner spirituality. If properly trained and honed by their pageant organizations, they can strengthen this core and use it to direct their physical look. I don't think an Indian queen who is strong in spirit and heart will fall into the kind of styling Urvashi tried to sport in the recently concluded Miss Universe pageant.

I was actually hoping Sushmita's IAM SHE effort would translate to this but she failed. Any thoughts about this?

Jon A wrote:Wings, great thread.

I think the reasons are more simple:

1. Pick the RIGHT girl - it is the selection system that is at fault.
1a) LOOK FOR BALANCE: At it's peak, Miss India worked perfectly because they selected girls with the right BALANCE of attributes -- they had beauty, eloquence, stage presence, confidence, intelligence. I'll take the case of one of our most iconic winners - Lara - she was far from the most beautiful girl at Miss India, but at the same time, she was not only a speaking machine - she was actually pretty and fit. After 2000, they started swinging wildly from side to side picking either the best looking girl or the most well spoken girl. This is NOT the formula, particularly for MW. This year's selection of Aditi is a classic example - confident, very well spoken, but just not pretty enough to merit the main crown! I will say the same with Koyal last year - beautiful, but not confident and articulate enough - they should have picked someone like Nikhila or Ashwati or TJ.

1b) LOOK FOR INTERNATIONAL APPEAL: At its peak, Miss India always had a diverse, international jury. We've had Michael Stich, Cindy Crawford, Marcus Swarovski. Where are all these people now? It's always John Abraham and Shilpa Shetty and Chitrangada Singh. What appeals to Indians is quite different than what appeals to a global audience. Not to say that we must ignore the former, but again, a mix is important. I truly think a more diverse audience would have selected Nicole Faria for example, as Miss India and we WOULD have had our Miss World! The look that works best internationally is the one that is identifiable as typically Indian - Nicole, Natasha Suri, Priyanka Chopra....I think we need to get past this lily white, could be Miss Slovakia look and really pick the girls with the most distinctive features.

1c) FIX THE FORMAT: I would not get rid of the interview. It has been instrumental in getting us the caliber of girls that get to the winner's circle, and India's unique asset is its spirituality and the thoughtfulness its women are able to express. But you need a format that balances it - and in my opinion, the original MW/Miss Universe format is the best - 2 presentation rounds and one interview round to get to the top 5 then a common question. This balances looks, charm/eloquence/intelligence + poise. THAT is a winning formula. SHOW THE SCORES!!!

2: TRAIN THE WINNERS:
This was India (and Venezuela's) unique strength - and in my opinion, the extended training period the MW reps got (as opposed to Miss Universe reps, when Miss Universe was a summer pageant - the girls got only 5 months of prep, the MW reps got a year) was responsible for the better results we got at MW, and this is where things have fallen apart. It is very inconsistent now and varies from girl to girl. It does not have to be dramatic, but it needs to be consistent, and focused. For example, look at Philippines World - they don't get much time but they use it very wisely.

2b) STYLE THEM RIGHT!! I agree with some of the observations about hair and makeup - although I don't think this has been a real problem - most of the girls have turned up looking very good at their pageants - Noyo, even Aditi looked so much better than at Miss India. However, there is no question that when we see the winners POST their reigns, they look so much better - like Sarah Jane or Manasvi...Femina needs to invest in a styling session with the country's top stylists to find the "look" for each winner at her pageant.
2c) DRESS THEM INDIAN!! What is missing is the unique Indian element - the sarees, the lehengas, the jewelery that used to distinguish Miss India from the crowd in the 90s. Now the girls just blend in. they pick all these designers who are trying to cater to a globalizing market, but it fails them in the pageants. Again, not to say that they need to wear bindis and sarees non-stop, but a mix would be nice. The ONLY girl who did this, and managed to stand out for her outfits is Koyal, who had a naturally sophisticated sense of style. Aditi and Urvashi were absolute disasters. I didn't like a single outfit - Aditi's looked so plain and Urvashi's looked hookerlicious. Rocky S was an unqualified disaster, he should never return.
2d) MENTALLY PREPARE THEM: I like the idea of giving the girls psychological training - again, this is something Femina used to do, with the Art of Living courses - they seem to have abandoned that now. But look how it helped girls like Yukta Mookhey shine when it mattered! Bring that back. Pageants are a pressure cooker, and every bit of strength is necessary to survive and shine at the right moment!
And yes, give them exposure - to TV, to events, to speeches - all these build self confidence, composure, presence of mind...the more used you get to the cameras, the stage, the interactions with fans and dignitaries, the better you will actually do all these things at the pageant.

I think we will get our winners soon - we've certainly come close enough with the minor pageants, and just need to stay the course, and hope for a lucky break.
filboy1980

Date of Birth: 21 Dec 2008
Hobbies/Interests: reading, drawing

Postby Malcanthet » Mon Dec 28, 2015 7:49 pm

Interesting observation. But India was once such a powerhouse that one have to think when was the moment did it all went wrong? I can only guess that girls no longer need to enter pageants when they can go straight to Bollywood or modelling...or the focus of pageants have changed and they didn't change with it.
Malcanthet
PIONEERS are the most experienced members of Missosology.
PIONEERS are the most experienced members of Missosology.

Real Life Name/Nick: TCL
Date of Birth: 01 Jan 1969
Profession: Adm Asst
Hobbies/Interests: Music, swimming

Postby kandolag » Fri Jan 01, 2016 12:06 pm

i always find it's the runners up that are so much better than the actual winners, prime example being 2015 - both Aafreen and Vartika completely outshined Aditi both on a national and international stage. I think the training given, is more than adequate enough, however there is always room for improvement. I do believe that FMI are training these girls to win, evidence of that was clear in Koyal and Aditi but both girls were just not right for MW. Had the winners been Nikhila/Nicole and Deeksha K/Sushri I believe the results would have been different.

i personally think it's down to two things, one simply being wrong selection of judges for the finals and as result the wrong girl being picked. If we can get the panel right with a good mixture of all different backgrounds and personality types rather than the same cliche of Bollywood stars. We would end up with diverse set of winners and girls with more international appeal, as an oppose to a Bollywood appeal.
kandolag

Real Life Name/Nick: gkand87
Date of Birth: 13 Jan 1987
Profession: Financial Admin
Chinese Zodiac: Rabbit
Hobbies/Interests: bowling, reading, travelling, watching movies etc

Postby wingsofnightingale » Fri Jul 22, 2016 10:39 am

and the Miss India organization continues making mistakes esp as far as the Miss Universe pageant is concerned. The auditions are already late and they expect 2 months training can actually get India the Miss Universe crown. SIGH !!!
wingsofnightingale

Postby manoypoe » Fri Jul 22, 2016 11:28 am

WINGS IS BACK. =D> =D>
manoypoe
MODERATORS are responsible to maintain order.
MODERATORS are responsible to maintain order.

Date of Birth: 15 Apr 1975
Profession: Assassin of Idiots
Western Zodiac Sign: Taurus
Hobbies/Interests: Web surfing

Postby wingsofnightingale » Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:27 am

And Pankhuri clapped at MGI owing to her awful perlim performance. Femina will never learn. [-X [-X
wingsofnightingale

Postby wingsofnightingale » Thu Oct 27, 2016 12:58 pm

And Rewati Chetri clapped at MI 2016 owing to her inconsistent performance throughout the quarantine of the pageant. The new organization Senorita India seems to be headed in the wrong direction as well. Their other girl Arushi clapped at Miss Intercontinental 2016.

More failures awaited looking at the ignorance of indian pageant fraternity.
wingsofnightingale

PreviousNext

Return to GENERAL