Puerto Rico's Statehood and Miss PR

Forum rules
Welcome to Missosology! RULES: Freedom of speech allowed but 1. NO CROSSING LIMITS AS DIRECT RACIST REMARKS, NUDE OR VIOLENT PICS. 2. NO SPAMMING/FLOODING 3. NO ADVERTISING 4. NO BLACKMAILING/VIOLATING/DIVULGING PRIVACY/personal infos of members as posting their real life pic/real life name without their consent. 5. NO AVENGING/ATTACKING MEMBERS ON THEIR PHYSICAL LOOKS 6. NO REPUTATION BUTTON ABUSE. Any question, feel free to post in the Help Desk section till a Moderator/Admin responds. HAVE FUN!

Puerto Rico's Statehood and Miss PR

Postby monmon298 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:12 am

I was reading this post in Yahoo!News! http://news.yahoo.com/puerto-rico-state ... 10615.html

It was about Puerto Rico's possible statehood. So I thought, will PR's statehood prevent it from sending out contestants in international beauty pageants? If ever it decides to send candidates, wouldn't that be unfair that USA will have two contestants in one event? I see this happening in China where they send candidates from Hong Kong, Macau and Taiwan, and sometimes even Tibet. Do International pageant organizers have specific rule on this?

People with jobs/life spend less time online.
monmon298
ELITES are highly regarded as FINEST posters of Missosology.

Date of Birth: 31 Aug 1987
Sexual Orientation: Asexual
Profession: Government Employee
Western Zodiac Sign: Virgo
Hobbies/Interests: PublicHealth, Microbiology, Genomics, Epidemiology

Re: Puerto Rico's Statehood and Miss PR

Postby Beta » Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:47 am

monmon298 wrote:I was reading this post in Yahoo!News! http://news.yahoo.com/puerto-rico-state ... 10615.html

It was about Puerto Rico's possible statehood. So I thought, will PR's statehood prevent it from sending out contestants in international beauty pageants? If ever it decides to send candidates, wouldn't that be unfair that USA will have two contestants in one event? I see this happening in China where they send candidates from Hong Kong, Macau and Taiwan, and sometimes even Tibet. Do International pageant organizers have specific rule on this?

Here's my take on this - someone please correct me if I'm wrong?
PR is not a state - it's a self governing commonwealth of the US with unique privileges (such as its own Olympic team, Ms Universe) and limitations ( can't vote for US president if you reside in PR).
Beta
ANGELS are the nicest persons of the forum.

Date of Birth: 30 Jul 2008
Sexual Orientation: Straight
Profession: BOSS
Western Zodiac Sign: Leo
Hobbies/Interests: EVERYTHING

Postby monmon298 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:00 am

Beta wrote:
monmon298 wrote:I was reading this post in Yahoo!News! http://news.yahoo.com/puerto-rico-state ... 10615.html

PR is not a state - it's a self governing commonwealth of the US with unique privileges (such as its own Olympic team, Ms Universe) and limitations ( can't vote for US president if you reside in PR).

I know!

If you read my post clearly, I said "POSSIBLE" statehood.

In fact, the article which I linked to tackles about the possibility of changing the tides in US presidential election in case PR would become a state.

Puerto Rico has always been a force to reckon with in every event. So I was curious with the consequences of PR's POSSIBLE statehood with its participation in these pageants. Would Puerto Rico start sending candidates in Miss USA and other US contests? Or would it still opt to send its own candidates in international pageants? Would international pageant organizers allow Puerto Rico to still join international competitions?

monmon298

Postby hrexen » Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:21 am

If they become a state, they would win the Miss USA year after year! :%)) :%)) :%)) :%)) :%)) :%))
hrexen
PIONEERS are the most experienced members of Missosology.
PIONEERS are the most experienced members of Missosology.

Date of Birth: 21 Jan 1986
Sexual Orientation: Bisexual
Profession: Student
Hobbies/Interests: Run and read

Postby Nina Cleopatra » Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:24 am

There is going to be a referendum this November for applying statehood in Puerto Rico. In regards of Puerto Rico competing in beauty pageans if we become a State, I don't think the United States would completely refuse the idea of Puerto Rico having a representative in Miss Universe since Puerto Rico is already considered a Powerhouse in this pageant and it's also considered part of the culture of Puerto Rico, in fact many americans believe Puerto Rico has more Miss Universes than the US. Having a Representative in other Pageants like Miss World or Miss Earth then I believe it depends in the rules and regulations on those particular pageants.
Nina Cleopatra
PAGEANT EXPERTS are MASTERS & PROFESSIONAL ANALYSTS of pageantry.

Date of Birth: 21 Dec 1984
Profession: Queen
Western Zodiac Sign: Gemini
Hobbies/Interests: Be Pampered
Message: Who's in charge of the girls?.. I'M IN CHARGE OF THE GIRLS!

Postby monmon298 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:30 am

Nina Cleopatra wrote:There is going to be a referendum this November for applying statehood in Puerto Rico. In regards of Puerto Rico competing in beauty pageans if we become a State, I don't think the United States would completely refuse the idea of Puerto Rico having a representative in Miss Universe since Puerto Rico is already considered a Powerhouse in this pageant and it's also considered part of the culture of Puerto Rico, in fact many americans believe Puerto Rico has more Miss Universes than the US. Having a Representative in other Pageants like Miss World or Miss Earth then I believe it depends in the rules and regulations on those particular pageants.

Your country is Puerto Rico, how likely is it that PR would become a state this year?

It would be a shame if PR would stop sending delegates for International events, personally, I think, it always sends better candidates than the continental USA. :)
Last edited by monmon298 on Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:37 am, edited 2 times in total.

monmon298

Postby monmon298 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:31 am

hrexen wrote:If they become a state, they would win the Miss USA year after year! :%)) :%)) :%)) :%)) :%)) :%))

I know right. :)

monmon298

Postby Nina Cleopatra » Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:53 am

monmon298 wrote:
Nina Cleopatra wrote:There is going to be a referendum this November for applying statehood in Puerto Rico. In regards of Puerto Rico competing in beauty pageans if we become a State, I don't think the United States would completely refuse the idea of Puerto Rico having a representative in Miss Universe since Puerto Rico is already considered a Powerhouse in this pageant and it's also considered part of the culture of Puerto Rico, in fact many americans believe Puerto Rico has more Miss Universes than the US. Having a Representative in other Pageants like Miss World or Miss Earth then I believe it depends in the rules and regulations on those particular pageants.

Your country is Puerto Rico, how likely is it that PR would become a state this year?

It would be a shame if PR would stop sending delegates for International events, personally, I think, it always sends better candidates than the continental USA. :)

Puerto Rico will never become a state this year. If Puertoricans ever vote for statehood, the process will most likely last about ten years before Puerto Rico becomes a state. I do believe our island would most likely participate in Miss Universe as an exception and there's also a possibility that it could also participate in Miss World since this Pageants already allow some territories or commonwealths. Something interesting that happened during this years casting is that there were a lot of request of girls in the USA to see the rules and regulations of the Miss Puerto Rico's pageant stating that they have a grand mother, grand grand mother or some distant family member who was puerto rican and they wanted to travel to the island to compete. Unfortunately the rules states that the girl need to have lived in Puerto Rico for several years.
Nina Cleopatra

Postby monmon298 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:31 am

Nina Cleopatra wrote:
monmon298 wrote:

Puerto Rico will never become a state this year. If Puertoricans ever vote for statehood, the process will most likely last about ten years before Puerto Rico becomes a state. I do believe our island would most likely participate in Miss Universe as an exception and there's also a possibility that it could also participate in Miss World since this Pageants already allow some territories or commonwealths. Something interesting that happened during this years casting is that there were a lot of request of girls in the USA to see the rules and regulations of the Miss Puerto Rico's pageant stating that they have a grand mother, grand grand mother or some distant family member who was puerto rican and they wanted to travel to the island to compete. Unfortunately the rules states that the girl need to have lived in Puerto Rico for several years.

I see, so the process would take 10 years.

Even though Hawaii stopped sending candidates when it became a state, I sort of agree with you that a statehood would never prevent Puerto Rico from competing.

About the special rule on having a "distant family member who was puerto rican" but "the girl need to have lived in Puerto Rico for several years" to join the contest, I'm curious how do you exactly define who's Puerto Rican and who's not. I thought you are considered as American Citizens.

monmon298

Postby Nina Cleopatra » Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:38 am

Puerto ricans are technically American citizens. In terms of being Puerto Rican I think it's pretty much being born in Puerto Rico defines you as a Puerto rican. There are other cases of people not born in Puerto Rico but still are considered Puerto rican for they have family members from the island i.e. Jennifer Lopez or have lived in the island for many years ie Julian Gil.
Nina Cleopatra

Postby monmon298 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:58 am

Nina Cleopatra wrote:Puerto ricans are technically American citizens. In terms of being Puerto Rican I think it's pretty much being born in Puerto Rico defines you as a Puerto rican. There are other cases of people not born in Puerto Rico but still are considered Puerto rican for they have family members from the island i.e. Jennifer Lopez or have lived in the island for many years ie Julian Gil.

I see. Im learniong everyday. Thanks. :)

monmon298

Postby 我喜歡吃米飯麵條和豆類 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:06 am

If Puerto Rico becomes a state.....Puerto Rico should compete in the Miss USA pageant....just like Misses Hawaii competing in american pageants.

Are you in favor of Puerto Rico competing in the Miss USA pageant?
我喜歡吃米飯麵條和豆類
MISSOSOLOGISTS are OFFICIALLY part of the MISSOSOLOGY FAMILY.

Real Life Name/Nick: 据调查新闻网站 所称,当晚,包括阿布拉莫维奇在内的三名谈判代表分别出现神经气体中
Date of Birth: 21 Dec 2008
Profession: 但在消息传出后,一位美国匿名官员对路透社称,情报显示各人所出现之症状是由无拘束。没借口。 不后悔。
Western Zodiac Sign: Aries
Chinese Zodiac: Dragon
Hobbies/Interests: 这场疑似投毒事件凸显了阿布拉莫维奇在俄乌和谈中的都爱喝可乐 小学 男友 秋天 蔺其磊 野渡 鄒幸彤
Message: 则说,美国希望低调处理任何人——尤其是俄罗斯——在乌克兰使用过化学武器的指控,因为这将迫使美方采安全事务记者弗兰克·加德纳 郝劲松 如果你要找到一个非常好的家,和要每天都练习你的汉语, 在这里停止吧!

Postby Beta » Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:14 am

monmon298 wrote:
Beta wrote:

I know!

In fact, the article which I linked to tackles about the possibility of changing the tides in US presidential election in case PR would become a state.

Puerto Rico has always been a force to reckon with in every event. So I was curious with the consequences of PR's POSSIBLE statehood with its participation in these pageants. Would Puerto Rico start sending candidates in Miss USA and other US contests? Or would it still opt to send its own candidates in international pageants? Would international pageant organizers allow Puerto Rico to still join international competitions?

lmao..my bad!I'll blame it on the wine ;)
Beta

Date of Birth: 30 Jul 2008
Profession: BOSS
Western Zodiac Sign: Leo
Hobbies/Interests: EVERYTHING

Postby Nina Cleopatra » Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:44 am

我喜歡吃米飯麵條和豆類 wrote:

If Puerto Rico becomes a state.....Puerto Rico should compete in the Miss USA pageant....just like Misses Hawaii competing in american pageants.

Something like that would be interesting to watch but I prefer Puerto Rico Competing internationally. Hawaii was never into beauty pageants as Puerto Rico so I don't think they had a problem giving that up. Personally I don't think the Congress would force PR not to compete internationally in beauty pageant simply because Its something irrelevant in the US. It would probably cause some entertaining discussions but I don't think it would be something forced.
Nina Cleopatra

Postby monmon298 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:28 am

Beta wrote:
monmon298 wrote:
Beta wrote:

I know!

lmao..my bad!I'll blame it on the wine ;)

:)

monmon298

Postby monmon298 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:35 am

Nina Cleopatra wrote:
我喜歡吃米飯麵條和豆類 wrote:

Something like that would be interesting to watch but I prefer Puerto Rico Competing internationally. Hawaii was never into beauty pageants as Puerto Rico so I don't think they had a problem giving that up. Personally I don't think the Congress would force PR not to compete internationally in beauty pageant simply because Its something irrelevant in the US. It would probably cause some entertaining discussions but I don't think it would be something forced.

I mentioned China and its autonomous 'states/provinces' as an example before, but do you guys know of other countries that technically send out multiple candidates similar with what China does in international pageants when it has representatives like Misses China, Hong Kong, Chinese Taipei, Macau and Tibet?

monmon298

Postby Nina Cleopatra » Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:47 am

monmon298 wrote:
I mentioned China and its autonomous 'states/provinces' as an example before, but do you guys know of other countries that technically send out multiple candidates similar with what China does in international pageants when it has representatives like Misses China, Hong Kong, Chinese Taipei, Macau and Tibet?

Other than China, Great Brittain and USA.
Nina Cleopatra

Postby monmon298 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:01 am

Nina Cleopatra wrote:
monmon298 wrote:

Other than China, Great Brittain and USA.

Oh yeah, Miss wales placed in the recent Miss World. US Territories of course are as good as independent nations.

monmon298

Postby mybadname » Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:19 pm

If Puerto Rico decides to become a state in the US, then they should stop sending candidates for international competition. They should send their candidates to Miss USA. That is correct protocol. Considering Puerto Rico to send their candidates continuously to the international pageants, then will you accept also that the other states of USA will send their candidates individually since technically these states are country also. For the case of China, HongKong, Macau and Tibet are autonomous regions. They are still allowed to compete internationally because of their political status.
my name is bad but i am good

Miss Universe only and nothing else!
mybadname

Real Life Name/Nick: ralph
Date of Birth: 19 Nov 1980
Profession: engineer
Western Zodiac Sign: Scorpio
Chinese Zodiac: Tiger
Hobbies/Interests: reading

Postby Nina Cleopatra » Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:57 pm

mybadname wrote:If Puerto Rico decides to become a state in the US, then they should stop sending candidates for international competition. They should send their candidates to Miss USA. That is correct protocol. Considering Puerto Rico to send their candidates continuously to the international pageants, then will you accept also that the other states of USA will send their candidates individually since technically these states are country also. For the case of China, HongKong, Macau and Tibet are autonomous regions. They are still allowed to compete internationally because of their political status.

Yes that is how it supposed to be but I don't think it will happen that way for a number of reasons, being language one of them. I don't think the US would refuse the idea if Puerto Ricans are vocal about it. Puerto Rico is very influential in some degree within the highest levels in the US. Puerto Rico is very deep involved in the pretty much every department of the government in the US. Even in some unmentionable places. We also posses a legendary history in the military of the United States in pretty much every war the US have participated from the first World War. All of this have gave us the Power to demand certain things since the US government is a bit more flexible with us.
Nina Cleopatra

Postby japanese_warrior » Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:40 pm

PUERTO RICO IS ONE OF UNITED STATES TERRITORIES ALONG WITH GUAM,THE NORTHERN MARIANAS ISLAND,AMERICAN SAMOA ISLAND AND U.S.VIRGIN ISLANDS.
japanese_warrior

Real Life Name/Nick: jal
Date of Birth: 14 Feb 1981
Profession: engineer
Western Zodiac Sign: Aquarius
Chinese Zodiac: Pig
Hobbies/Interests: beauty pageants

Postby touch_of_class » Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:21 pm

Nina Cleopatra wrote:
我喜歡吃米飯麵條和豆類 wrote:

I don't know why you're answering his misinformed thread anyway!his premise is that the US will force Boricoas to yield and with no more Miss PR. This aint happening you know that as well. no one would effing care, well at least none in the majority. Plus, it would have caused a riot in san juan etc if Boricoas will now just compete in Miss USA and cmpete in Miss Universe as USA. As for the referendum, isn't there just a referendum and you all rejected it??? but as you said it will be in november then so be it. i hope you choose what's best for you all. good luck.the flag would be crammed by then if there will be 51 stars! but yeah good luck to us all.
Where I live!
[youtube]wCF8pFA92O0[/youtube]
touch_of_class

Date of Birth: 01 Jan 1989
Profession: manager
Chinese Zodiac: Rat
Hobbies/Interests: pageants

Postby touch_of_class » Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:28 pm

Nina Cleopatra wrote:
mybadname wrote:If Puerto Rico decides to become a state in the US, then they should stop sending candidates for international competition. They should send their candidates to Miss USA. That is correct protocol. Considering Puerto Rico to send their candidates continuously to the international pageants, then will you accept also that the other states of USA will send their candidates individually since technically these states are country also. For the case of China, HongKong, Macau and Tibet are autonomous regions. They are still allowed to compete internationally because of their political status.

Yes that is how it supposed to be but I don't think it will happen that way for a number of reasons, being language one of them. I don't think the US would refuse the idea if Puerto Ricans are vocal about it. Puerto Rico is very influential in some degree within the highest levels in the US. Puerto Rico is very deep involved in the pretty much every department of the government in the US. Even in some unmentionable places. We also posses a legendary history in the military of the United States in pretty much every war the US have participated from the first World War. All of this have gave us the Power to demand certain things since the US government is a bit more flexible with us.

languange? have you been to CA, NM, TX, AZ??????OR EVEN NY/NJ? plus,english is taught in PR so why? BTW, the fate of the Philippines, Cuba and Puerto Rico was the same until our unthinking nationalists (i'm half filipino) wanted independence which brought only poverty!!! so does Cuba. annoying.
Where I live!
[youtube]wCF8pFA92O0[/youtube]
touch_of_class

Date of Birth: 01 Jan 1989
Profession: manager
Chinese Zodiac: Rat
Hobbies/Interests: pageants

Postby Eddie » Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:19 pm

If Puerto Rico becomes a state, then it will lose its US territory status. Being incorporated as a US state, then it should whittle its way in the Miss USA contest. But it can join separately in MW like Wales, England, Scotland of the UK and China PR, Macau, HK of China.
Eddie

Real Life Name/Nick: Eddie
Date of Birth: 30 Sep 1975
Profession: Socio-Economist
Hobbies/Interests: Palm and card reading, psychodynamics

Postby Nina Cleopatra » Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:51 pm

touch_of_class wrote:
languange? have you been to CA, NM, TX, AZ??????OR EVEN NY/NJ? plus,english is taught in PR so why? BTW, the fate of the Philippines, Cuba and Puerto Rico was the same until our unthinking nationalists (i'm half filipino) wanted independence which brought only poverty!!! so does Cuba. annoying.

Unlike in other territories, English was never compulsory in Puerto Rico. That's why some people are able to speak it fluently while others can't communicate at all. English is taught in Puerto Rico but it seems not everyone is that interested to learn it.
Nina Cleopatra

Postby monmon298 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:02 am

touch_of_class wrote:
Nina Cleopatra wrote:

What's wrong with being an independent country? You are wrong to equate Philippines' independence to its current economic hardships.

The Philippine Economy didn't plunge down as a result of of its independence. In fact, in the the Philippines started to move towards becoming an industrialized economy during the 1950s (just after the American and Japanese occupations). The Marcos Dictatorial Regime's extravagance and corruption in the 60's and 70's made the Philippines poor, ruining the country's economic progress. In fact, due to the foreign debts and culture of corruption acquired during the Marcos era, it took the Philippine half a century since 1950 to achieve its goal to be come a newly industrialized economy (which only happened about 5 or 7 years ago). :)

BACK TO THE TOPIC: How do pageant organizers define a country? Do these organizations provide a set of guidelines for their pageants?

monmon298

Postby tresure » Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:50 pm

CMIIW, ISNT PUERTO RICO THE WEALTHIEST COUNTRY IN THE CARRIBBEANS ??

I THINK BY BEING US COMMONWEALTH SOMEHOW GIVE MUCH ADVANTAGE IN REORGANIZED POLITICAL , ECONOMIC, AND EDUCATION SYSTEM S

SINCE US IS A DEVELOPED COUNTRY.....THEY CAN ADD THIS CERTAIN POSITIVE VALUE ON THE ISLAND

I THINK PUERTO RICO DOESNT NEED TO BE A STATE .......BEING COMMONWEALTH IS THE FITTEST !

THEY HAVE THIS STRONG SPANISH IDENTITY THAT'S SO DIFFERENT FROM THE REDNECK ! :%)) :%)) :%)) :%))
tresure
PROFESSIONALS are DIPLOMATIC and QUALITY posters.
PROFESSIONALS are DIPLOMATIC and QUALITY posters.

Real Life Name/Nick: GERRY
Date of Birth: 28 Feb 2008
Profession: STUDENT
Hobbies/Interests: NOTHING

Postby Eddie » Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:35 pm

monmon298 wrote:What's wrong with being an independent country? You are wrong to equate Philippines' independence to its current economic hardships.

The Philippine Economy didn't plunge down as a result of of its independence. In fact, in the the Philippines started to move towards becoming an industrialized economy during the 1950s (just after the American and Japanese occupations). The Marcos Dictatorial Regime's extravagance and corruption in the 60's and 70's made the Philippines poor, ruining the country's economic progress. In fact, due to the foreign debts and culture of corruption acquired during the Marcos era, it took the Philippine half a century since 1950 to achieve its goal to be come a newly industrialized economy (which only happened about 5 or 7 years ago). :)

BACK TO THE TOPIC: How do pageant organizers define a country? Do these organizations provide a set of guidelines for their pageants?

The Philippines was never a "newly industrializing country 5 or 7 years ago."
Eddie

Postby monmon298 » Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:04 am

Eddie wrote:
monmon298 wrote:What's wrong with being an independent country? You are wrong to equate Philippines' independence to its current economic hardships.

Read this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newly_indu ... ed_country
Philippines was categorized as a newly industrialized country sometime during the first decade of the new millennium, which can be estimated to be around 5 to 7 years ago. pfft

monmon298

Postby Eddie » Fri Aug 24, 2012 3:09 pm

monmon298 wrote:
Eddie wrote:

Read this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newly_indu ... ed_country
Philippines was categorized as a newly industrialized country sometime during the first decade of the new millennium, which can be estimated to be around 5 to 7 years ago. pfft

Oh that's what you mean! That article needs more citation, thus to be confirmed.
Eddie

Next

Return to GENERAL