Miss Nepal’s main objective rests on two pillars; personality and leadership development. In 1995, to give the Miss Nepal pageant a more professional approach, senior members of Kathmandu Jaycees who was involved in organizing first Miss Nepal Pageant established The Hidden Treasure, which now annually organizes Miss Nepal Pageants.
* Out of 18 Edition of Miss Nepal beauty pageant held 11 times Kathmandu District's representative has won the crown and has placed numerous times in top 5 finalists.
11 crowns: Kathmandu
2 crowns: Lalitpur & Parsa
1 crown: Kaski, Sunsari, Chitwan
* Till now there has been no Miss Nepal from the Northern or Mid-Western Region of Nepal.
* Most people in Nepal consider Jharana Bajracharya as Miss Nepal 1997 inplace of Neelima Gurung who was the official Kathmandu Jacyees Miss Nepal 1997.
* In 2001, the pageant was cancelled because of the Nepalese royal massacre. And in both 2006 & 2008 the pageant was cancelled because of the threats from the Maoists Feminists Groups.
* From 2012 onward; all the 3 title holders of Miss Nepal World, Miss Nepal Earth and Miss Nepal International have been announced as equal three winners with no runners up unlike the past.
* Even after 15 years of debut in Miss World beauty contest; Nepal still hasn't manage to get a placement in this pageant.
The first ever Miss Nepal was started in 1994;
Ruby Rana from Birgunj (Southern Nepal) won the crown.
Miss Nepal 1995 Sumi Khadka
Miss Nepal 1996 Poonam Ghimire
Miss Nepal 1997 Neelima Gurung from Kaski
(Western Nepal and still the only Miss Nepal till date from this region)
Miss World Nepal 1997 Jharana Bajracharya
In Nepal, there is still confusion between the people on who actually won Miss Nepal in 1997 as there were two different pageants held in the same year. One was Kathmandu Jaycees Miss Nepal (Neelima Gurung) which was sent to Miss Asia Pacific and Hidden Treasures Miss World Nepal (Jharana Bajracharya) which was sent to Miss World 1997 and made its debut in Miss World.
Miss Nepal 1998 Jyoti Pradhan (Dethroned)
Miss Nepal 1998 Niru Shrestha (Was Originally 1st runner up)
After Jyoti Pradhan represent Nepal in Miss World 1998 pageant; she didn’t came back to Nepal and full fill her duties and was dethroned; the 1st runner up Niru Shrestha was later crowned as Miss Nepal 1998.
Miss Nepal 1999 Shweta Singh
Miss Nepal 2000 Usha Khadgi
Miss Nepal 2002 Malvika Subba (She missed to go to Miss World 2002 as Miss Nepal 2002 was held in the same day as Miss World)
Miss Nepal 2003 Priti Sitoula
Miss Nepal 2004 Payal Shakya
Miss Nepal 2005 Sugarika KC (When she was crowned; majority of the public who preferred the 1st runner up went against the judges vote and gave her the title of the worst Miss Nepal)
Miss Nepal 2007 Sitashma Chand
In 2008, when the pageant was meant to be held it got cancelled at the last time due to the Maoists feminist group protesting against Miss Nepal saying women are being exploited and used as a material for commercial and promotional use. The same year, when Zenisha Moktan first joined Miss Nepal 2008 there was a scandal of her fake sex tape; which the feminist group threatened the Miss Nepal org if they would held the pageant in 2008; they will broadcast the sex tape in the national channel (NTV).
In 2009, the pageant was done secretly indoor inside the Tribhuvan Army Club; due to the health & security reason from the threat of the Maoists feminist group.
Miss Nepal 2009 Zenisha Moktan
Miss Nepal 2010 Sadichha Shrestha
Miss Nepal 2011 Malina Joshi (Within minutes after Malina got crowned she faced the same negative feedback from the public as Sugarika KC. See above in 2005)
In 2012; there were rumors that Shristi Shrestha had been hand picked as the winner even before the event was started as she didn't manage to come to the first training day of the pageant but later in a television interview she reveled that she had missed the first day due to her flight from London to Kathmandu but she attended all the other activites after Day 2 of training.
Miss Nepal 2012 Shristi Shrestha
This is my first ever article on the history of any beauty pageant; so my apologies for any errors/mistakes and thank you for reading my post.