ROAD TO MISS USA 2022 // NORTH CAROLINA IS MISS USA 2022

Re: ROAD TO MISS USA 2022 // FINAL ON 3 OCTOBER

Postby Queen of the Clouds » Sat Aug 06, 2022 12:04 am

itsrowdy801 wrote:
Queen of the Clouds wrote:
itsrowdy801 wrote:

Y'alllll. No word whether Miss USA Org will follow suit but I can't say I'm in love with this change

I cannot express how opposed to this I am. I'm so tired of this inclusion at all costs. What happens when a mother wins Miss Universe, what happens to her kid? They get left without a mother for a year in their home country, who watches them? Or they are brought to NYC to adopt a whole new country as their own and are thrown into the NYC schooling system without any friends, and possibly not even being able to speak the language or understand the culture? Not to mention the xenophobia and discrimination that immigrant children experience at school, especially non-white immigrants. And what school do they go to? NYC public schools are mainly low-quality, and if not public school, who pays their private school tuition? Do the children live in the Miss Universe apartment too? Is there even enough room for kids? NYC apartments are notoriously tiny and from what I've seen of the Miss Universe apartment, it is not that big.

Now I am less fussed about the married women part, but I think the same questions can be asked. Is her husband left behind in their home country, or does he come with her? Does that mean he lives in the Miss Universe apartment too? What will he do all day, will he have to get a job? There is no Mr. Universe companion title. Obviously there have been titleholders with boyfriends, but a boyfriend and a husband are very different things, and I know I wouldn't want my husband to pack up and move to a different country for a year without me, especially if we have kids together nonetheless.

But what I am most worried about is what this means for what a titleholder's reign will look like. I have been bored to death by Harnaaz's reign, and we all know that IMG has been awful with giving their queens things to do, but I thought it looked like they were improving with Andrea until seeing the things they have Harnaaz do. To be completely honest, I have been moving more and more towards being solely a fan of Miss France since winning that title actually still means something. Nowadays, it seems winning Miss USA means you can compete at Miss Universe and make TikToks from your LA condo all day, while winning Miss Universe means you can post on Instagram from NYC all day and appear as a special guest at Miss South Africa and Puteri Indonesia one time each. Allowing married women and mothers to compete in Miss Universe makes me think that they have no intention to speed up the schedule of a Miss Universe, and that 90% of what they'll be doing is posting on social media from their apartment – which would explain why it is suddenly not too much to allow mothers and married women to compete. A mother would have never been able to handle winning Miss Universe in the Trump era because their queens actually DID things – and that is one of the main reasons why I am so against the new rules in Miss France, since their queens DO still actually do things.

Sometimes rules exist for logistical reasons and not because we live in a big, bad, scary, sexist world.

That's actually a really good point. To a certain extent, we could blame the lack of activities on the pandemic, but as we get more and more out of the woods from Covid, that's becoming less of an excuse. That said, I have appreciated the fact that they've sent Elle to events like the Superbowl parties and movie premieres, and I hope they continue to ramp that up in the future, but you're absolutely right that this change could be a signal that they're not planning on doing so - just having "Miss" Universe drag her husband and children to NYC and start a mommy blog in the apartment instead of actually going anywhere exciting

I think blaming the lack of activities on the pandemic made sense towards the end of Zozi's reign and for most of Asya's reign, but I remember when Andrea was crowned Miss Universe, right after arriving in NYC she was back to having what seemed to be a packed schedule. Now we're even further removed from the peak of the pandemic, and it seems we're going in the opposite direction. Harnaaz has really done nothing of note imo, Elle started out strong but it seems she's fizzling out and does nothing anymore besides post cringe TikToks as IG reels.

I feel like the only posts I see from the Miss USA IG account nowadays is shit like this:

Now, Miss USA hasn't said anything about this, so I'm not going to clown the Miss USA Organization as hard, but the MUO is basically sending out a message to me that we should expect even less from future titleholders than we currently do. If that ends up being the case, I think it's becoming more and more likely I end up solely a fan of Miss France and not anything else. If it weren't for its history, I'm starting to wonder if Miss Universe should even be considered the premier international beauty pageant anymore.

Queen of the Clouds
AMBASSADORS represent their country.

Date of Birth: 18 Mar 1996
Sexual Orientation: -----------
Profession: Lawyer
Western Zodiac Sign: Pisces
Hobbies/Interests: Fashion, music, film, politics, and parties

Postby itsrowdy801 » Sat Aug 06, 2022 1:46 am

That's true. And there's no word of whether the Miss USA organization plans to follow suit. There's no rule precluding national organizations from imposing stricter requirements than are required internationally - like Miss France having a height requirement and younger maximum age - so there's still a chance that Miss USA will only be open to unmarried women who are not mothers even if international requirements have changed.

We don't know what Crystle's plan is, and without delving too far into certain recent developments, we also aren't certain how long she will be retaining ownership of the franchise. I'm sure we'll see more in coming months, but in any case, I'm not fond of the rule change at all. I'd be happy to see a separate Mrs. Universe division, like how the Earth system has a separate division for married contestants, but lumping them all into the same division is silly to me.
itsrowdy801
PROFESSIONALS are DIPLOMATIC and QUALITY posters.

Real Life Name/Nick: Rowdy
Date of Birth: 21 Aug 1994
Sexual Orientation: Bisexual
Profession: Customer Service @ Travel Startup
Western Zodiac Sign: Leo
Chinese Zodiac: Dog
Hobbies/Interests: Pageants, Comedy, Politics

Postby itsrowdy801 » Sat Aug 06, 2022 2:55 am

State pageant accounts have been announcing that they will be accepting married women going forward, so it looks like this will be applying to the USA system too.

I'm less than thrilled. I'm all for equality but this is just stupid
itsrowdy801

Postby Thomas876 » Sat Aug 06, 2022 10:21 am

Alexia Laroche-Joubert is a precursor, I'm happy with this information, Miss Universe is inspired by us. :%))

Either way, I don't think you need to worry. Married women and/or women with children will be allowed to participate but will not win. At least they will have great experiences. It's not because we're married or with children that we don't have the right to participate, I'm also concerned if they win a title but for the participation, it doesn't bother me in the least and I think (at least I hope!) that Miss Universe (and Miss USA) is heading towards that too. What bothers me the most is the "no maximum age" as we now have in France because it means that a 70-year-old woman can take part in a beauty contest intended mainly for young women and that's absolutely ridiculous but I haven't read that Miss Universe or Miss USA is removing the age limit so that's fine. lol
TOP 5 for Miss Universe 2024 :

1. France 2. Mongolia 3. Kazakhstan
4. Venezuela 5. Kyrgyzstan

TEAM FRANCE 2023
Thomas876

Real Life Name/Nick: Thomas.
Date of Birth: 26 Aug 1995
Sexual Orientation: Gay
Profession: Something.
Western Zodiac Sign: Virgo
Chinese Zodiac: Pig
Hobbies/Interests: Lots of things.

Postby ajsy0203 » Sat Aug 06, 2022 2:01 pm

Teen mothers are eligible to compete at Miss Teen USA since they will not fly to LA for the duration of their reign?
ajsy0203
PAGEANT HISTORIANS are walking encyclopedias of pageantry.

Real Life Name/Nick: AJ
Date of Birth: 05 Sep 1986
Sexual Orientation: Asexual
Profession: Office Staff
Chinese Zodiac: Tiger
Hobbies/Interests: Teaching

Postby Queen of the Clouds » Sat Aug 06, 2022 2:02 pm

ajsy0203 wrote:Teen mothers are eligible to compete at Miss Teen USA since they will not fly to LA for the duration of their reign?

The new rules do not apply to Miss Teen USA
Queen of the Clouds

Postby Jonathan Nguyen » Sat Aug 06, 2022 2:08 pm

This is my take. I don’t expect you guys to agree. Just want to share my thoughts. I love Miss Universe and i’m all about inclusivity. However, i believe it is very difficult for mothers/wives to fulfill the responsibilities for their families while competing at Miss Universe. It is already very busy to compete at the national pageant with months of preparing and training. If she wins her national, she will have duties as the national winner and months of training and preparation for the Miss Universe pageant. If she wins Miss Universe, she will have more duties as a Miss Universe winner and have to move to NY. In total, she might have to sacrifice at least two years missing out her family just for a glitz and glam moment on the Miss Universe stage. Within these two years, how could she take care of her toddlers. What if her toddlers got sick while she was doing a gown fitting? What would she do if her toddlers cried missing their mom while she was taking a catwalk training in a camp far from home? Inclusivity is good but we should not encourage women to neglect their toddlers/family. Once they chose to get married and have children, they should be aware that their lives are turning to a new chapter and they have far more important commitments to fulfill than their Miss Universe dreams. Those who chose Miss Universe over their toddlers, do they deserve to represent and empower women?

Jonathan Nguyen

Real Life Name/Nick: Jonathan Nguyen
Date of Birth: 10 Aug 1997
Profession: Software Developer
Chinese Zodiac: Ox
Hobbies/Interests: Miss Universe and Miss World

Postby chorr » Sat Aug 06, 2022 2:11 pm

Truth bombs, truth bombs everywhere!
chorr
PAGEANT EXPERTS are MASTERS & PROFESSIONAL ANALYSTS of pageantry.

Date of Birth: 21 Dec 2008
Profession: none
Hobbies/Interests: tambays

Postby Queen of the Clouds » Sat Aug 06, 2022 2:21 pm

Jonathan Nguyen wrote:This is my take. I don’t expect you guys to agree. Just want to share my thoughts. I love Miss Universe and i’m all about inclusivity. However, i believe it is very difficult for mothers/wives to fulfill the responsibilities for their families while competing at Miss Universe. It is already very busy to compete at the national pageant with months of preparing and training. If she wins her national, she will have duties as the national winner and months of training and preparation for the Miss Universe pageant. If she wins Miss Universe, she will have more duties as a Miss Universe winner and have to move to NY. In total, she might have to sacrifice at least two years missing out her family just for a glitz and glam moment on the Miss Universe stage. Within these two years, how could she take care of her toddlers. What if her toddlers got sick while she was doing a gown fitting? What would she do if her toddlers cried missing their mom while she was taking a catwalk training in a camp far from home? Inclusivity is good but we should not encourage women to neglect their toddlers/family. Once they chose to get married and have children, they should be aware that their lives are turning to a new chapter and they have far more important commitments to fulfill than their Miss Universe dreams. Those who chose Miss Universe over their toddlers, do they deserve to represent and empower women?

Fully agreed (also agreed with what Deshauna said). I think that there is room for married women and women with children in pageantry, but that is not in a Miss division, where titleholders see the busiest schedules, travel, and work, and of course have to move to an entirely new city or COUNTRY just to assume their duties. I sort of think of it like how we look at certain sports. There are different weight classes in wrestling so competitors are evenly matched. Invite married women and women with children to compete against each other in their own division where the winner's role is tailor-made for women in their situations, such as being able to complete their reigns in their home cities/countries. You cannot look at a wife with three kids and a young single woman without kids and think they are capable of all the exact same experiences. Every mother you meet will tell you that having kids changes your life and ensures that you can no longer do things like this anymore because you have children to look after. This isn't inclusivity anymore, it's just making dumb decisions that are going to end up harming children.

If the MUO wanted to create a separate division for married women and women with kids where the duties would be much less strenuous, then I think that is a great idea, but this just screams logistical nightmare and comes across to me as people who don't understand the work making decisions for everyone else – Amy Emmerich has had no experience in the pageant world until joining the MUO earlier this year. If former titleholders are coming out and saying they don't understand how this will be feasible, then I definitely believe them.
Queen of the Clouds

Postby Jonathan Nguyen » Sat Aug 06, 2022 2:30 pm

Jonathan Nguyen wrote:This is my take. I don’t expect you guys to agree. Just want to share my thoughts. I love Miss Universe and i’m all about inclusivity. However, i believe it is very difficult for mothers/wives to fulfill the responsibilities for their families while competing at Miss Universe. It is already very busy to compete at the national pageant with months of preparing and training. If she wins her national, she will have duties as the national winner and months of training and preparation for the Miss Universe pageant. If she wins Miss Universe, she will have more duties as a Miss Universe winner and have to move to NY. In total, she might have to sacrifice at least two years missing out her family just for a glitz and glam moment on the Miss Universe stage. Within these two years, how could she take care of her toddlers. What if her toddlers got sick while she was doing a gown fitting? What would she do if her toddlers cried missing their mom while she was taking a catwalk training in a camp far from home? Inclusivity is good but we should not encourage women to neglect their toddlers/family. Once they chose to get married and have children, they should be aware that their lives are turning to a new chapter and they have far more important commitments to fulfill than their Miss Universe dreams. Those who chose Miss Universe over their toddlers, do they deserve to represent and empower women?

Fully agreed (also agreed with what Deshauna said). I think that there is room for married women and women with children in pageantry, but that is not in a Miss division, where titleholders see the busiest schedules, travel, and work, and of course have to move to an entirely new city or COUNTRY just to assume their duties. I sort of think of it like how we look at certain sports. There are different weight classes in wrestling so competitors are evenly matched. Invite married women and women with children to compete against each other in their own division where the winner's role is tailor-made for women in their situations, such as being able to complete their reigns in their home cities/countries. You cannot look at a wife with three kids and a young single woman without kids and think they are capable of all the exact same experiences. Every mother you meet will tell you that having kids changes your life and ensures that you can no longer do things like this anymore because you have children to look after. This isn't inclusivity anymore, it's just making dumb decisions that are going to end up harming children.

If the MUO wanted to create a separate division for married women and women for kids where the duties would be much less strenuous, then I think that is a great idea, but this just screams logistical nightmare and comes across to me as people who don't understand the work making decisions for everyone else – Amy Emmerich has had no experience in the pageant world until joining the MUO earlier this year. If former titleholders are coming out and saying they don't understand how this will be feasible, then I definitely believe them.

I do believe we should bring this up to MUO. I don’t want to see young children or even husbands being neglected. Workaholic parents who neglect their children have been called out and condemned all the time. Commiting your precious time to a pageant over your family sounds worse than workaholic parents IMO.

Jonathan Nguyen

Postby chorr » Sat Aug 06, 2022 2:33 pm

My take: I would support divorcees who have no children, or does not take care of their children nor have any obligations with them. Or ladies who had borne children or who required/had abortion - practically single, unencumbered girls. The rest should just stop.

chorr

Postby Queen of the Clouds » Sat Aug 06, 2022 2:37 pm

chorr wrote:My take: I would support divorcees who have no children, or does not take care of their children nor have any obligations with them. Or ladies who had borne children or who required/had abortion - practically single, unencumbered girls. The rest should just stop.

I agree. I don't really have any issue with women who are divorced/widowed/separated from their spouses or who have had abortions or have children that they do not care for taking part apart from the tradition aspect. The issue arises when there are actively other humans who depend on you. I would add that I'd have a problem with women without children but who are legal guardians of a child or even an elder competing as well.

It's really bothering me that this is being framed as an inclusivity issue when it is in fact a logistical issue. Is nobody at the MUO wondering who will take care of these children if their mother wins Miss Universe???
Queen of the Clouds

Postby itsrowdy801 » Sat Aug 06, 2022 7:24 pm

If the MUO wanted to create a separate division for married women and women with kids where the duties would be much less strenuous, then I think that is a great idea, but this just screams logistical nightmare and comes across to me as people who don't understand the work making decisions for everyone else – Amy Emmerich has had no experience in the pageant world until joining the MUO earlier this year. If former titleholders are coming out and saying they don't understand how this will be feasible, then I definitely believe them.

From what I've seen, formers seem to be unanimously against this decision. Women still competing in the organization seem to be putting a happy spin on it, and fans seem to be 80/20 against.

When was this survey they cited that inspired them to do this?
itsrowdy801

Postby itsrowdy801 » Sat Aug 06, 2022 7:25 pm

chorr wrote:My take: I would support divorcees who have no children, or does not take care of their children nor have any obligations with them. Or ladies who had borne children or who required/had abortion - practically single, unencumbered girls. The rest should just stop.

I agree. I don't really have any issue with women who are divorced/widowed/separated from their spouses or who have had abortions or have children that they do not care for taking part apart from the tradition aspect. The issue arises when there are actively other humans who depend on you. I would add that I'd have a problem with women without children but who are legal guardians of a child or even an elder competing as well.

It's really bothering me that this is being framed as an inclusivity issue when it is in fact a logistical issue. Is nobody at the MUO wondering who will take care of these children if their mother wins Miss Universe???

That said, there hasn't been a rule against women who have had abortions for several years. The "never been pregnant" clause hasn't been on the eligibility requirements for a while - it's just never been married, not a parent, never given birth. I'm sure we have had titleholders who have had an abortion, but didn't share that publicly.
itsrowdy801

Postby chorr » Sat Aug 06, 2022 7:32 pm

itsrowdy801 wrote:

From what I've seen, formers seem to be unanimously against this decision. Women still competing in the organization seem to be putting a happy spin on it, and fans seem to be 80/20 against.

When was this survey they cited that inspired them to do this?

A recent one on the website, prolly a few months back. It also asked what other pageants the audience also watch and they got Supra wrong to Supernatural. ;/))

chorr

Postby itsrowdy801 » Sat Aug 06, 2022 7:59 pm

Thomas876 wrote:
Alexia Laroche-Joubert is a precursor, I'm happy with this information, Miss Universe is inspired by us. :%))

Either way, I don't think you need to worry. Married women and/or women with children will be allowed to participate but will not win. At least they will have great experiences. It's not because we're married or with children that we don't have the right to participate, I'm also concerned if they win a title but for the participation, it doesn't bother me in the least and I think (at least I hope!) that Miss Universe (and Miss USA) is heading towards that too. What bothers me the most is the "no maximum age" as we now have in France because it means that a 70-year-old woman can take part in a beauty contest intended mainly for young women and that's absolutely ridiculous but I haven't read that Miss Universe or Miss USA is removing the age limit so that's fine. lol

Honestly, I'd prefer it if they retained the unmarried/no kids requirement and bumped up the max age a few more years. I think that would make a lot more sense than this.

I have a feeling that, in a few years, this rule is going to morph into a separate division. Fans seem largely opposed to this, and it's gonna be a mess. That division can have older women, married women, mothers, etc.
itsrowdy801

Postby Jonathan Nguyen » Sat Aug 06, 2022 8:34 pm

itsrowdy801 wrote:
Thomas876 wrote:

Honestly, I'd prefer it if they retained the unmarried/no kids requirement and bumped up the max age a few more years. I think that would make a lot more sense than this.

I have a feeling that, in a few years, this rule is going to morph into a separate division. Fans seem largely opposed to this, and it's gonna be a mess. That division can have older women, married women, mothers, etc.

I agree with increasing the max age. 30 is a good number to me. Thao Nhi Le, the mega fav who ended up as the first runner up of Miss Universe Vietnam 2022 is expected to represent Vietnam in Miss Universe 2023. She was born in 1994 which makes her 29 in 2023. Although our ND confirmed that he would still send Thao Nhi to Miss Universe 2023 because she was still 28 when competing at her national pageant, we still don’t know for sure she can compete until MUO officially accepts her entry. She is unmarried and has no kids, no serious life commitments and is able to put 100% effort into Miss Universe. I would be devastated if MUO rejects her due to her age.

Jonathan Nguyen

Postby missfinlandia » Sun Aug 07, 2022 10:09 am

I`m glad that married women can compete from now on because it was just a stupid and ancient rule. :=p

Not so excited about the children part though. Some girl from poor country can might leave their children behind if they win.
missfinlandia

Real Life Name/Nick: MissSuomi
Date of Birth: 29 Nov 1913
Profession: This and that
Western Zodiac Sign: Sagittarius
Hobbies/Interests: Shopping

Postby Opening Ceremony » Sun Aug 07, 2022 10:28 am

Allowing married women to compete in the system is perfectly fine with me. Some couples are perfectly fine having long-distance relationships with occasional visits while one of them is away for school/a temporary work situation.

I also think upping the age limit is fine. There have been more than a few contestants who have aged out of their system but who I felt still looked pretty fresh and could have competed again/possibly won the title.

However, like many of you, I also draw the line at children. While I do believe that women given more shame than men for prioritizing their career over their children, I think that leaving your kid behind for an entire year to focus on a career is irresponsible. It's not like being a working mom where you might have help during the day and you see your kid later at night. This is simply leaving your child in the responsibility of another caregiver, which I can't imagine wouldn't build resentment in either (or both of) the kid and the spouse.

That being said, Miss France made all of these changes, and so far every regional winner has been a single woman from the ages of 18-24, so it's probably just lip service. I just hope that when the changes get implemented, they make a realistic depiction of who can do the job and represent the brand well.
Opening Ceremony
Dark green members are SEMI-ACTIVE posters.

Date of Birth: 23 Jan 1994
Sexual Orientation: Gay
Profession: Viewer
Hobbies/Interests: Entertainment

Postby Jonathan Nguyen » Sun Aug 07, 2022 7:34 pm

Another former Miss USA contestant, Dani Walker talked about the new rules.

https://youtu.be/rznjCBiCSqY

[youtube]rznjCBiCSqY[/youtube]

Jonathan Nguyen

Postby Queen of the Clouds » Sun Aug 07, 2022 11:09 pm

Mississippi 2021 posted something on IG asking for people's thoughts on the new rule change and she ended up talking to me a bit in DMs after I responded – she is very sweet! But we can add her to the list of formers who are very opposed to this change.
Queen of the Clouds

Postby itsrowdy801 » Sun Aug 07, 2022 11:23 pm

Queen of the Clouds wrote:Mississippi 2021 posted something on IG asking for people's thoughts on the new rule change and she ended up talking to me a bit in DMs after I responded – she is very sweet! But we can add her to the list of formers who are very opposed to this change.

Shandi is also vehemently against the change as well
itsrowdy801

Postby Queen of the Clouds » Sun Aug 07, 2022 11:31 pm

itsrowdy801 wrote:
Queen of the Clouds wrote:Mississippi 2021 posted something on IG asking for people's thoughts on the new rule change and she ended up talking to me a bit in DMs after I responded – she is very sweet! But we can add her to the list of formers who are very opposed to this change.

Shandi is also vehemently against the change as well

Well that's not a shock at all :%)) :%))
Queen of the Clouds

Postby Neeva » Mon Aug 08, 2022 1:21 am

missfinlandia wrote:I`m glad that married women can compete from now on because it was just a stupid and ancient rule. :=p

Not so excited about the children part though. Some girl from poor country can might leave their children behind if they win.

It’s for a year and no ones business what a mother decides to do for a job to better her life and her child’s life.
Neeva

Date of Birth: 09 Dec 2001
Sexual Orientation: Straight
Profession: student
Hobbies/Interests: sports

Postby itsrowdy801 » Mon Aug 08, 2022 2:02 am

Neeva wrote:
missfinlandia wrote:I`m glad that married women can compete from now on because it was just a stupid and ancient rule. :=p

It’s for a year and no ones business what a mother decides to do for a job to better her life and her child’s life.

Sure , if someone wants to leave their child at home for a year while she lives her best life as Miss USA, then I guess that’s her prerogative. But I don’t think that behavior is something we want to encourage , and fact is a lot of contestants are unaware of the scope of the job of Miss USA.

I don’t really see much of an upside to this change
itsrowdy801

Postby Neeva » Mon Aug 08, 2022 2:52 am

itsrowdy801 wrote:
Neeva wrote:

Sure , if someone wants to leave their child at home for a year while she lives her best life as Miss USA, then I guess that’s her prerogative. But I don’t think that behavior is something we want to encourage , and fact is a lot of contestants are unaware of the scope of the job of Miss USA.

Who says she can’t take her child with her with a nanny or relative to help. It ain’t the 50’s where a mother is expected to be at home with her child 24/7.
Neeva

Date of Birth: 09 Dec 2001
Sexual Orientation: Straight
Profession: student
Hobbies/Interests: sports

Postby itsrowdy801 » Mon Aug 08, 2022 3:49 am

Neeva wrote:
itsrowdy801 wrote:
Neeva wrote:

Who says she can’t take her child with her with a nanny or relative to help. It ain’t the 50’s where a mother is expected to be at home with her child 24/7.

Yes, but she's also required to live in a small apartment in a new city with poor public schools for a year, and uproot her whole life. It's not just a mother thing, there are plenty of fathers who wouldn't want to just leave their family for a year or alternatively drag them into a 1bd apartment in a strange city or country away from all their friends.
itsrowdy801

Postby Queen of the Clouds » Mon Aug 08, 2022 11:49 am

itsrowdy801 wrote:
Neeva wrote:
itsrowdy801 wrote:
Neeva wrote:

Yes, but she's also required to live in a small apartment in a new city with poor public schools for a year, and uproot her whole life. It's not just a mother thing, there are plenty of fathers who wouldn't want to just leave their family for a year or alternatively drag them into a 1bd apartment in a strange city or country away from all their friends.

The main justification I keep seeing is "but there are celebrities and other powerful people who have kids and still work with busy schedules," but what some people are forgetting is those people are not plucking their kids out of a normal life in their hometown to move them to NYC for a year – likely a brand new country, culture, and language – only to have a too busy schedule to see them. Chrissy Teigen's kids still get to live in their hometown with their own friends, all their family, see their mom and dad when they come home from work, and I'm sure it's not that big of a deal since it has been their normal life since they were born. This is a VERY different situation.

Not to mention that a big change like this can take an emotional burden on children, and that is not something we should be encouraging. Growing up, my dad worked long hours at his NYC job while my family and I lived in the suburbs. It was about a one or sometimes two hour commute for him, and in my early years I don't have any memories of my dad because I never saw him, and it still makes me sad to think about that. I cannot imagine how much worse this would have been if I got to spend however many years with him as my primary caregiver, only for this change to happen years into my life where I was barely seeing him for a whole year AND had to uproot my life into a brand new place. This whole "well it's each woman's choice whether she would want to do something like this as a mother" is kind of pissing me off because of course personal choice is important, but when your choices are impacting other people, especially a child, it is no longer "what is my personal choice and wish" it is "what is the best choice for my family and especially my child," and I can't see how Miss Universe would be that. It'd come across to me as very selfish.

And of course this is not just a mother thing. If the roles were reversed and we were talking about male pageants, it'd absolutely be the same situation. This is NOT a sexism thing, it is a parents have responsibilities thing.
Queen of the Clouds

Postby ajsy0203 » Mon Aug 08, 2022 12:19 pm

itsrowdy801 wrote:
Neeva wrote:
itsrowdy801 wrote:
Neeva wrote:

The main justification I keep seeing is "but there are celebrities and other powerful people who have kids and still work with busy schedules," but what some people are forgetting is those people are not plucking their kids out of a normal life in their hometown to move them to NYC for a year – likely a brand new country, culture, and language – only to have a too busy schedule to see them. Chrissy Teigen's kids still get to live in their hometown with their own friends, all their family, see their mom and dad when they come home from work, and I'm sure it's not that big of a deal since it has been their normal life since they were born. This is a VERY different situation.

Not to mention that a big change like this can take an emotional burden on children, and that is not something we should be encouraging. Growing up, my dad worked long hours at his NYC job while my family and I lived in the suburbs. It was about a one or sometimes two hour commute for him, and in my early years I don't have any memories of my dad because I never saw him, and it still makes me sad to think about that. I cannot imagine how much worse this would have been if I got to spend however many years with him as my primary caregiver, only for this change to happen years into my life where I was barely seeing him for a whole year AND had to uproot my life into a brand new place. This whole "well it's each woman's choice whether she would want to do something like this as a mother" is kind of pissing me off because of course personal choice is important, but when your choices are impacting other people, especially a child, it is no longer "what is my personal choice and wish" it is "what is the best choice for my family and especially my child," and I can't see how Miss Universe would be that. It'd come across to me as very selfish.

And of course this is not just a mother thing. If the roles were reversed and we were talking about male pageants, it'd absolutely be the same situation. This is NOT a sexism thing, it is a parents have responsibilities thing.

Also they are dragging to compare overseas contract workers to a Miss Universe titleholder.
Last edited by ajsy0203 on Mon Aug 08, 2022 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ajsy0203

Real Life Name/Nick: AJ
Date of Birth: 05 Sep 1986
Profession: Office Staff
Chinese Zodiac: Tiger
Hobbies/Interests: Teaching

Postby Queen of the Clouds » Mon Aug 08, 2022 12:31 pm

ajsy0203 wrote:
itsrowdy801 wrote:
Neeva wrote:
itsrowdy801 wrote:
Neeva wrote:

Also they are dragging comparing Overseas contract workers to a Miss Universe titleholder.

Ugh, people are so annoying. Do people really think overseas workers WANT to move away from their family to work? Of course not, nobody would want that, overseas workers do it because they HAVE TO and they need to provide for their family. Thankfully I've never been in that situation but I can imagine it is quite heart-wrenching for everyone involved.

Miss Universe is not an overseas worker and it is not the same situation at all, I can't believe that even needs to be said.
Queen of the Clouds

PreviousNext

Return to Miss Universe