What made Catriona different from other former MW candidate?

Image



  • 1

What made Catriona different from other former MW candidate?

Postby ajsy0203 » Thu May 21, 2020 1:59 pm

    

Complete question: (since the title of the thread is limited)
What made Catriona Gray different from other former Miss World candidates who later competed at Miss Universe?


RuPaul's Drag Race Season 12 Final 3 Poll:
https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/Q989DYF
ajsy0203
PAGEANT SPECIALISTS are seasoned ANALYSTS of pageantry.
PAGEANT SPECIALISTS are seasoned ANALYSTS of pageantry.
 
Posts: 8545
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:55 am
Country: Philippines (ph)
Reputation: 3222
Real Life Name/Nick: AJ
Date of Birth: 05 Sep 1986
Gender: Male
Sexual Orientation: Asexual
Profession: Office Staff
Western Zodiac Sign: Virgo
Chinese Zodiac: Tiger
Hobbies/Interests: Teaching
Message: Write a message here

  • -4

Re: What made Catriona different from other former MW candid

Postby Jonathan Nguyen » Thu May 21, 2020 4:59 pm

Chavit
Image

KHANH VAN - MISS UNIVERSE VIETNAM 2020
Jonathan Nguyen
MISSOSOLOGISTS are OFFICIALLY part of the MISSOSOLOGY FAMILY.
MISSOSOLOGISTS are OFFICIALLY part of the MISSOSOLOGY FAMILY.
 
Posts: 2779
Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2012 3:05 am
Location: Washington DC, USA
Country: Vietnam (vn)
Reputation: -359
Real Life Name/Nick: Hai Nguyen
Date of Birth: 10 Aug 1997
Gender: Male
Sexual Orientation: Asexual
Profession: Software Developer
Western Zodiac Sign: Leo
Chinese Zodiac: Ox
Hobbies/Interests: Miss Universe and Miss World

  • 4

Re: What made Catriona different from other former MW candid

Postby Jon A » Thu May 21, 2020 5:13 pm

It's hard to generalize - because cross overs from MW to Miss Universe have had GREAT success (Cat, Yendi, Ada Cruz) or been complete flops ( Ingrid Rivera, Zizi Lee, Gabrielle Walcott).

The former group - exemplified by Cat (although arguably, Yendi and Ada were as deserving of the crown!) - all IMPROVED from MW. They learned specific things. Yendi perhaps had the least change needed, she was already very strong at MW, where she was arguably unlucky. But Cat and Ada made massive improvements - principally in terms of their confidence and stage presence. If the enduring image of Cat between takes at Miss Universe was of her dancing carefree, at MW, it was her nervously looking around, and twisting her cape into knots again and again. It was her weakness, and she deserves immense credit for working on it. Judges at pageants NEED you to be confident, so they can in turn be confident in you! The same with Ada Cruz. The insider story of her finishing only the in semi finals at Miss World (where was till the last week, a joint favorite with Zhang Zi Lin) was that she was a nervous wreck in her preliminary interview and that sank her chances. Is it true? One can't say for sure, but if you re-watch MW 2007, there is a clip of the girls going into their interview and you can see poor Ada was a mess, it looked like she was about to faint. At Miss Universe, she was mature, calm, composed. (And imo deserved the crown!). Finally, Cat did one additional thing that we can't say was evident (or needed) in Yendi and Ada - she worked on her body and stage presentation. At MW, her body was reed thin, with bad proportions, her presence and posture were a fraction of what they were by the time that she strutted down the runway in her lava gown. You guys tell me -- would Cat have won Miss Universe in that body and pink gown and updo? I personally think she would have ended in the top 10 (and even that would likely have been on the strength of her preliminary interview!). All these three things came together in one very important way for Cat - by the time she came to Miss Universe, she was aware of herself, who she was, who she wanted to be and at peace with the attention and criticism that came with it. I therefore honestly do agree with the group that says that if she had not competed at MW, she may not have won Miss Universe. It was just meant to be. There were very important lessons (including how to deal with loss) that came from her time at MW, the difference between Cat and others who did not succeed is that Cat took the time (herself - it wasn't just some team!) to study it all and fix every problem!

The opposite is true for the other girls above - Ingrid, Zizi and Gabrielle. They went in with too much confidence- and they were a pale shadow of the girls they were at MW. Zizi and Gaby were noticeably overweight (in a contest where body is paramount!) their spark was gone, their styling was horrendous, Gaby in particular looked like the mother of half the other girls. And if Cat and Ada acquired composure and confidence from their stint in MW, Ingrid lost it. Was it too much pressure? Overconfidence? I don't know but she was a hot mess, physically and mentally. And it showed.

Finally a shout out to a small group of girls who crossed over who really deserved much more and imo were just really unlucky - Siobhan McClafferty, Miss Ireland, and Michelle Khan Miss T&T.
Click to Visit Miss India SectionImage
Jon A
PAGEANT EXPERTS are MASTERS & PROFESSIONAL ANALYSTS of pageantry.
PAGEANT EXPERTS are MASTERS & PROFESSIONAL ANALYSTS of pageantry.
 
Posts: 9898
Joined: Sat Nov 28, 2009 8:58 pm
Location: USA
Country: United States (us)
Reputation: 2702
Date of Birth: 19 Jan 1973
Gender: Male
Profession: consultant
Western Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Hobbies/Interests: Reading, Travelling, Pageants
Message: Write a message here

  • 1

Re: What made Catriona different from other former MW candid

Postby arkenken » Thu May 21, 2020 5:26 pm

Jon A wrote:It's hard to generalize - because cross overs from MW to Miss Universe have had GREAT success (Cat, Yendi, Ada Cruz) or been complete flops ( Ingrid Rivera, Zizi Lee, Gabrielle Walcott).

The former group - exemplified by Cat (although arguably, Yendi and Ada were as deserving of the crown!) - all IMPROVED from MW. They learned specific things. Yendi perhaps had the least change needed, she was already very strong at MW, where she was arguably unlucky. But Cat and Ada made massive improvements - principally in terms of their confidence and stage presence. If the enduring image of Cat between takes at Miss Universe was of her dancing carefree, at MW, it was her nervously looking around, and twisting her cape into knots again and again. It was her weakness, and she deserves immense credit for working on it. Judges at pageants NEED you to be confident, so they can in turn be confident in you! The same with Ada Cruz. The insider story of her finishing only the in semi finals at Miss World (where was till the last week, a joint favorite with Zhang Zi Lin) was that she was a nervous wreck in her preliminary interview and that sank her chances. Is it true? One can't say for sure, but if you re-watch MW 2007, there is a clip of the girls going into their interview and you can see poor Ada was a mess, it looked like she was about to faint. At Miss Universe, she was mature, calm, composed. (And imo deserved the crown!). Finally, Cat did one additional thing that we can't say was evident (or needed) in Yendi and Ada - she worked on her body and stage presentation. At MW, her body was reed thin, with bad proportions, her presence and posture were a fraction of what they were by the time that she strutted down the runway in her lava gown. You guys tell me -- would Cat have won Miss Universe in that body and pink gown and updo? I personally think she would have ended in the top 10 (and even that would likely have been on the strength of her preliminary interview!). All these three things came together in one very important way for Cat - by the time she came to Miss Universe, she was aware of herself, who she was, who she wanted to be and at peace with the attention and criticism that came with it. I therefore honestly do agree with the group that says that if she had not competed at MW, she may not have won Miss Universe. It was just meant to be. There were very important lessons (including how to deal with loss) that came from her time at MW, the difference between Cat and others who did not succeed is that Cat took the time (herself - it wasn't just some team!) to study it all and fix every problem!

The opposite is true for the other girls above - Ingrid, Zizi and Gabrielle. They went in with too much confidence- and they were a pale shadow of the girls they were at MW. Zizi and Gaby were noticeably overweight (in a contest where body is paramount!) their spark was gone, their styling was horrendous, Gaby in particular looked like the mother of half the other girls. And if Cat and Ada acquired composure and confidence from their stint in MW, Ingrid lost it. Was it too much pressure? Overconfidence? I don't know but she was a hot mess, physically and mentally. And it showed.

Finally a shout out to a small group of girls who crossed over who really deserved much more and imo were just really unlucky - Siobhan McClafferty, Miss Ireland, and Michelle Khan Miss T&T.



Very Good analysis! I agree on everything that you said. And I guess I will add that while Catriona was a very good speaker even when she was competing in Miss World, there was something missing for me back then. Her words while well-composed and fluent don't have enough gravitas. It was very well-spoken but maybe a bit too pageant-y? When she competed in Miss Universe, her responses to her interviews are very much on point. She also took her time to study how to deliver her answers properly and how have a "punch" with her answers. She really did the fieldwork with her advocacy and her sincerity and authenticity in her final answer showed big time.
Everything is so finite. But don't you think that that's what makes our time, at specific moments, so important?

ImageImageImageImageImageImage
arkenken
MISSOSOLOGISTS are OFFICIALLY part of the MISSOSOLOGY FAMILY.
MISSOSOLOGISTS are OFFICIALLY part of the MISSOSOLOGY FAMILY.
 
Posts: 1453
Joined: Fri Sep 17, 2010 4:32 pm
Location: philippines
Country: Philippines (ph)
Reputation: 1241
Date of Birth: 13 Aug 1990
Gender: Male
Profession: none
Hobbies/Interests: watching movies.
Message: Write a message here

  • 0

Re: What made Catriona different from other former MW candid

Postby erinarriba » Fri May 22, 2020 1:04 am

Master Chef Julia Morley.
erinarriba
PIONEERS are the most experienced members of Missosology.
PIONEERS are the most experienced members of Missosology.
 
Posts: 694
Joined: Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:51 pm
Country: United States (us)
Reputation: 1380
Real Life Name/Nick: Erin
Date of Birth: 03 Sep 1979
Gender: Female
Sexual Orientation: Straight
Profession: Student
Western Zodiac Sign: Virgo
Hobbies/Interests: Modeling
Message: Regards to fellow Fil-Am posters in the forum!

  • 0

Re: What made Catriona different from other former MW candid

Postby quelab22 » Fri May 22, 2020 11:05 am

I agree that Yendi and Ada are both deserving for the title of Miss Universe... in addition Deborah Henry too
Misso sistah.... please add me again in FB... quelab22@gmail.com thanks mwah mwah mwah
quelab22
PROFESSIONALS are DIPLOMATIC and QUALITY posters.
PROFESSIONALS are DIPLOMATIC and QUALITY posters.
 
Posts: 13546
Joined: Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:34 am
Location: philippines
Country: Philippines (ph)
Reputation: 3287
Real Life Name/Nick: Quela Andrea... (queng)
Date of Birth: 22 Oct 1993
Gender: Female
Profession: escort... of my father
Western Zodiac Sign: Scorpio
Hobbies/Interests: watching fairytales
Message: bongga tayung mga taga misso...

  • 0

Re: What made Catriona different from other former MW candid

Postby sleuth08 » Sat May 23, 2020 1:24 am

SHE IS DESTINED FOR THE MISS UNIVERSE CROWN THAN THE MISS WORLD CROWN.
sleuth08
PIONEERS are the most experienced members of Missosology.
PIONEERS are the most experienced members of Missosology.
 
Posts: 4733
Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:59 am
Location: toronto
Country: Canada (ca)
Reputation: 4604
Date of Birth: 10 Dec 1977
Gender: Female
Sexual Orientation: Asexual
Profession: airline load controller
Western Zodiac Sign: Sagittarius
Chinese Zodiac: Dragon
Hobbies/Interests: DESTROYING MISS EARTH HATERS
Message: It is not enough to succeed, OTHERS MUST FAIL

  • 1

Re: What made Catriona different from other former MW candid

Postby koji » Sat May 23, 2020 8:59 am

quelab22 wrote:I agree that Yendi and Ada are both deserving for the title of Miss Universe...


:=p :=p :=p :=p :=p :=p :=p :=p :=p :=p Especially Ada. She should have won. =/
Last edited by koji on Mon May 25, 2020 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
koji
ELITES are highly regarded as FINEST posters of Missosology.
ELITES are highly regarded as FINEST posters of Missosology.
 
Posts: 6753
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:13 am
Country: Philippines (ph)
Reputation: 2237
Real Life Name/Nick: joey
Date of Birth: 05 May 1989
Gender: Male
Sexual Orientation: Not sure
Profession: Farmer
Western Zodiac Sign: Taurus
Chinese Zodiac: Snake
Hobbies/Interests: beauty pageant
Message: Write a message here

  • 0

Re: What made Catriona different from other former MW candid

Postby vinusya » Sat May 23, 2020 10:18 am

koji wrote:
quelab22 wrote:I agree that Yendi and Ada are both deserving for the title of Miss Universe...


:=p :=p :=p :=p :=p :=p :=p :=p :=p :=p Especially to Ada. She should have won. =/


What are the current careers of the girls who won during their time?
If everyone can be a beauty queen, what is hardwork?
Maybe there is no hardwork, only surgeries ?
vinusya
GRAPHIC DESIGNERS are creative minds & beautifiers of the forum.
GRAPHIC DESIGNERS are creative minds & beautifiers of the forum.
 
Posts: 2218
Joined: Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:25 am
Location: Beijing
Country: China (cn)
Reputation: 248
Real Life Name/Nick: Nawatt
Date of Birth: 11 Aug 1994
Gender: Female
Sexual Orientation: Asexual
Profession: Red Haired Model
Western Zodiac Sign: Leo
Chinese Zodiac: Tiger
Hobbies/Interests: Net Surfing
Message: If everyone can be a beauty queen, what is hardwork?


Return to Miss Universe

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Brighter, France68, jhunz23, Robichaux, sarahlock, yam0219

beauty queens

© Missosology's International Pageant Coverages ©
Mister Supranational Miss Eco International Mister Universal Ambassador
Mister Supranational Miss Eco International Mister Universal Ambassador
Miss Intercontinental Mister International Miss Cosmopolitan World
Miss Intercontinental Mister International Miss Cosmopolitan World
Miss Grand International Face of Beauty International Miss Supermodel Worldwide
Miss Grand International Face of Beauty International Miss Supermodel Worldwide
Mister Global Miss Supranational Miss Earth
Mister Global Miss Supranational Miss Earth
Miss International Miss World Miss Universe
Miss International Miss World Miss Universe
Man of the World World Beauty Queen Manhunt International
Man of the World World Beauty Queen Manhunt International


contact us to advertise with missosology