Page 1 of 1

AAA- "ALL ABOUT ARMI"; A Tribute to the First Miss Universe

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:57 pm
by freddy26
This is just a compilation of photos and factual information regarding the first ever Miss Universe, Armi Kuusela of Finland. Credits of recognition are given to the owners of photos and videos posted and to Wikipedia for the information cited...


Image



When Kuusela won her country's national pageant, Suomen Neito, on May 24, 1952, she was awarded a box of chocolates, a gold bangle, and a two-way ticket sponsored by Pan American Airways to the United States. On June 17, Kuusela took a flight to Long Beach, California and the first Miss Universe contest was held.



ImageImageImage


Thirty contestants participated in the first Miss Universe pageant in 1952. The pageant was held on June 29, 1952, and Kuusela, as Suomen Neito, captured the crown. At her crowning she was only 17 years old. At the time she weighed 49 kg (108 lb), and her height was 1.65 m (5 ft 5 in).

Immediately after her winning there was a Finnish movie made of her, called Maailman kaunein tyttö (World's most beautiful girl) where she played herself, and Tauno Palo acted Jack Coleman (opposite role). It was directed by Veikko Itkonen, with writing credits going to Mika Waltari.



ImageImageImageImageImage



On February 22, 1953, Kuusela took a journey round the world, during which time she met a Filipino businessman, Virgilio Hilario. Less than a year later after being crowned, on May 4, 1953 Kuusela chose to give up her Miss Universe crown before her year was finished to marry Hilario in Tokyo. It was a whirlwind courtship. They met in March at a dance in Baguio, the summer capital of the Philippines. Miss Universe had gone to the Islands for the International Trade Exposition. They honeymooned in the Hawaiian Islands, toured the United States and then Europe, before settling in the Philippines where they had five children:


Arne Hilario, married with 3 children, lives in Chile
Anna-Lisa De Gari, married with 2 children, lives in Spain
Jussi Hilario, married, lives in Canada
Eva-Maria Hess, married with 2 children, lives in United States
Mikko Hilario, lives in the Philippines


Kuusela briefly managed the Manila apartment complex where she and Hilario lived before moving to an exclusive community called Forbes Park. Their house was on a road informally known as "Millionaire Street".
She was also in one film in the Philippines around this time.



MORE PHOTOS

ImageImageImageImage



Armi Kuusela, Miss Universe 1952






ARMI KUUSELA (1952), AKIKO KOJIMA (1959), and MARGARITA MORAN (1973) DURING THE 1976 MISS UNIVERSE








Armi Kuusela's Interview During the 2011 Miss Universe






ENJOY READING!




PREVIOUS THREAD


REMINISCING BROOK LEE'S LOVELY PERSONALITY-- viewtopic.php?f=1&t=178944

Re: AAA- "ALL ABOUT ARMI"; A Tribute to the First Miss Unive

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:02 pm
by Chocolat
Great Thread! Thank you for this. My awakening to pageantry was when my mother told me about the love story or Armi and Virgilio!

Thank you TS!

Re: AAA- "ALL ABOUT ARMI"; A Tribute to the First Miss Unive

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:06 pm
by freddy26
Chocolat wrote:Great Thread! Thank you for this. My awakening to pageantry was when my mother told me about the love story or Armi and Virgilio!

Thank you TS!



Thank you for appreciating... :-* :-* :-* :-*

Re: AAA- "ALL ABOUT ARMI"; A Tribute to the First Miss Unive

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:24 pm
by dextoi
Oh my goodness why wasn't she even recognized? Many Miss Universe title holders have passed away but the very first is still alive! She is a living legend! Her presence should have been recognized and she should have been given free front row tickets every year or whenever she could come.

God Bless her.. Thank you for posting!!

Re: AAA- "ALL ABOUT ARMI"; A Tribute to the First Miss Unive

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:02 pm
by freddy26
dextoi wrote:
Oh my goodness why wasn't she even recognized? Many Miss Universe title holders have passed away but the very first is still alive! She is a living legend! Her presence should have been recognized and she should have been given free front row tickets every year or whenever she could come.

God Bless her.. Thank you for posting!!


I also felt the same way though.... The MUO should give her due importance... :-*

Re: AAA- "ALL ABOUT ARMI"; A Tribute to the First Miss Unive

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:49 pm
by Lárus Jósefson
dextoi wrote:
Oh my goodness why wasn't she even recognized? Many Miss Universe title holders have passed away but the very first is still alive! She is a living legend! Her presence should have been recognized and she should have been given free front row tickets every year or whenever she could come.

God Bless her.. Thank you for posting!!


Actually, there are only two Miss Universe titleholders who have passed away - Hellevi Rombin and Amparo Muñoz. :)>- Armi will forever be an icon of Miss Universe. I love her. 8-> I also agree that she should've been recognized by the Miss Universe Organization during their 60th Anniversary. The same goes with all living titleholders but I guess the organization couldn't cough up enough dough. :">

Re: AAA- "ALL ABOUT ARMI"; A Tribute to the First Miss Unive

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:53 pm
by Nokia 3315
You are doing a great job!! I can see myself on you. hehe. the way you created your thread has somewhat similarities on mine. :-* :-* :hx that's why i like it more. :-*

Re: AAA- "ALL ABOUT ARMI"; A Tribute to the First Miss Unive

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:19 pm
by freddy26
Lárus Jósefson wrote:
dextoi wrote:
Oh my goodness why wasn't she even recognized? Many Miss Universe title holders have passed away but the very first is still alive! She is a living legend! Her presence should have been recognized and she should have been given free front row tickets every year or whenever she could come.

God Bless her.. Thank you for posting!!


Actually, there are only two Miss Universe titleholders who have passed away - Hellevi Rombin and Amparo Muñoz. :)>- Armi will forever be an icon of Miss Universe. I love her. 8-> I also agree that she should've been recognized by the Miss Universe Organization during their 60th Anniversary. The same goes with all living titleholders but I guess the organization couldn't cough up enough dough. :">


Great Point my dear,,,, :=p :=p :=p

Re: AAA- "ALL ABOUT ARMI"; A Tribute to the First Miss Unive

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:21 pm
by freddy26
Nokia 3315 wrote:You are doing a great job!! I can see myself on you. hehe. the way you created your thread has somewhat similarities on mine. :-* :-* :hx that's why i like it more. :-*



Thank you so much.. I am really honored with what you said...Take care! >:D< >:D< :hx :hx

Re: AAA- "ALL ABOUT ARMI"; A Tribute to the First Miss Unive

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:56 pm
by toothandnail
WOW I BET THEIR CHILDREN AND GRAND CHILDREN ARE ALL GOOD LOOKING :=p :=p :=p :=p

Re: AAA- "ALL ABOUT ARMI"; A Tribute to the First Miss Unive

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:16 am
by freddy26
toothandnail wrote:WOW I BET THEIR CHILDREN AND GRAND CHILDREN ARE ALL GOOD LOOKING :=p :=p :=p :=p




:=p :=p :=p :=p :=p

Re: AAA- "ALL ABOUT ARMI"; A Tribute to the First Miss Unive

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:51 am
by SINCHAN SHOE
:-* :-* :-* :-* wonder how gorgeous her grand children would look like... 8-> 8->

Re: AAA- "ALL ABOUT ARMI"; A Tribute to the First Miss Unive

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:24 am
by Ashanti
She and Gloria Diaz deserve recognition from MUO.

Re: AAA- "ALL ABOUT ARMI"; A Tribute to the First Miss Unive

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:25 am
by freddy26
SINCHAN SHOE wrote: :-* :-* :-* :-* wonder how gorgeous her grand children would look like... 8-> 8->


me too.. 8->

Re: AAA- "ALL ABOUT ARMI"; A Tribute to the First Miss Unive

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:26 am
by freddy26
Ashanti wrote:She and Gloria Diaz deserve recognition from MUO.


:=p :=p :=p :=p :=p :=p

Re: AAA- "ALL ABOUT ARMI"; A Tribute to the First Miss Unive

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:27 am
by xtine
Armi's movie "Now & Forever" with husband Virgilio Hilario

Re: AAA- "ALL ABOUT ARMI"; A Tribute to the First Miss Unive

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:38 am
by Jedi
I love that first video. :hx Thanks for sharing. :=p :=p :=p

Re: AAA- "ALL ABOUT ARMI"; A Tribute to the First Miss Unive

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:48 am
by freddy26
Jedi wrote:I love that first video. :hx Thanks for sharing. :=p :=p :=p





You're welcome my friend.... >:D<

Re: AAA- "ALL ABOUT ARMI"; A Tribute to the First Miss Unive

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:49 am
by freddy26
xtine wrote:Armi's movie "Now & Forever" with husband Virgilio Hilario





thanks for sharing this video xtine... >:D< >:D<

Re: AAA- "ALL ABOUT ARMI"; A Tribute to the First Miss Unive

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:14 am
by White Horizon
from my thread: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=149251

Image

Image

[color=#BF0000]She is a Finnish beauty queen. In 1952 she won the national beauty contest Suomen Neito and was presented with a trip to the United States to participate in the first-ever Miss Universe pageant, becoming its first titleholder in history.


Image

Image

[b]
[size=150]Early life


Kuusela's parents, Aarne Kuusela (father) and Martta Kyrö (mother) met each other in Ontario, Canada and later married there. Their first baby was born in Canada. After several years in Canada, they returned to Finland to settle in Muhos. Martta gave birth to five girls and one boy; one of the girls died when only two-and-a-half years old. Kuusela was born on August 20, 1934, she was the fourth oldest of the children.

She went to middle school in Muhos, and in 1951 she started attending the women's college in Porvoo. Kuusela liked swimming, skiing, gymnastics and after successfully completing her Abitur, she intended to apply to the University of Helsinki Gymnastics Institute.

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image


Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Miss Universe


When Kuusela won her country's national pageant, Suomen Neito, on May 24, 1952, she was awarded a box of chocolates, a gold bangle, and a two-way ticket sponsored by Pan American Airways to the United States. On June 17, Kuusela took a flight to Long Beach, California and the first Miss Universe contest.

Thirty contestants participated in the first Miss Universe pageant in 1952. The pageant was held on June 29, 1952, and Kuusela, as Suomen Neito, captured the crown. At her crowning she was only 17 years old. At the time she weighed 49 kg (108 lb), and her height was 1.65 m (5 ft 5 in).

Immediately after her winning there was a Finnish movie made of her, called Maailman kaunein tyttö (World's most beautiful girl) where she played herself, and Tauno Palo acted Jack Coleman (opposite role). It was directed by Veikko Itkonen, with writing credits going to Mika Waltari.

_____________________________________________________________________


a beautiful 17-year-old girl from Finland was crowned (by Hollywood actress Piper Laurie) the first Miss Universe at a glittering ceremony at The Municipal Auditorium in Long Beach, California, with a court of honor composed of Hawaiiâ Elza Kananionapua Edsman (first runner-up), Greeceâ Daisy Mavraki (second runner-up), Hong Kongâ Judy Dan (third runner-up) and Germanyâ Renate Hoy (fourth runner-up).

Nobody could have imagined that Armi would become an adopted daughter of the Philippines when she married Virgilio Hilario. Their love story was immortalized in a movie entitled Now and Forever.

Image

On March 9, 1953, nine months after she won the Miss U title, Armi was invited by the Philippine International Fair Committee to crown that year Miss Philippines. During her stay (until April 11, same year), Armi paid a courtesy call on then President Elpidio Quirino, Supreme Court justices, senators and congressmen; laid a wreath at the Bonifacio Monument; visited Maryknoll College (now Miriam College), UP, Ateneo de Manila, the Balara Filtration Plant and Baguio City where she met Virgilio through a blind date.

FACTS:

Armi was crowned Miss Universe in Florida 29/06/1952 strategisiet the dimensions were:

weight 49 kg
length of 165 cm
chest width 85 cm
waist 57,5 ​​cm
hips 85 cm



Life after Miss Universe


Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Marriage:
On February 22, 1953, Kuusela took a journey round the world, during which time she met a Filipino businessman, Virgilio Hilario. Less than a year later after being crowned, on May 4, 1953 Kuusela chose to give up her Miss Universe crown before her year was finished to marry Hilario in Tokyo. It was a whirlwind courtship. They met in March at a dance in Baguio, the summer capital of the Philippines. Miss Universe had gone to the Islands for the International Trade Exposition. They honeymooned in the Hawaiian Islands, toured the United States and then Europe,[1] before settling in the Philippines where they had five children:=

Arne Hilario, married with 3 children, lives in Chile

Anna-Lisa De Gari, married with 2 children, lives in Spain

Jussi Hilario, married, lives in Canada

Eva-Maria Hess, married with 2 children, lives in United States

Mikko Hilario, lives in the Philippines

Kuusela briefly managed the Manila apartment complex where she and Hilario lived before moving to an exclusive community called Forbes Park. Their house was on a road informally known as "Millionaire Street". She was also in one film in the Philippines around this time.


Image
Armi Kuusela Williams and Albert Williams


Later life


Hilario died of a heart attack on September 7, 1975, and Kuusela married an American diplomat, Albert Williams, on June 8, 1978. First they moved to Barcelona, then to İzmir, Turkey before settling in La Jolla, a community in San Diego, California. As of 2011, she and her husband were still living there. She is still active in her community, participating in charities and involved in cancer research at the Sanford-Burnham Medical Research Institute.

Camay Beauty


Image
Image


[b]THE END[/b]




credits: [wikipedia, veestar][/b][/size][/color]

Re: AAA- "ALL ABOUT ARMI"; A Tribute to the First Miss Unive

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:14 am
by White Horizon
White Horizon wrote:
MORE PHOTOS OF ARMI KUUSELA


Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image

Re: AAA- "ALL ABOUT ARMI"; A Tribute to the First Miss Unive

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:42 am
by Adam324



The 1st Miss Universe was married to a Filipino..... :hx



The 1st Miss International (Stella Marquez of Colombia) was married to a Filipino...




Is this a Coincedence ????? @-) :}













Re: AAA- "ALL ABOUT ARMI"; A Tribute to the First Miss Unive

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:27 am
by freddy26
White Horizon wrote:from my thread: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=149251

Image

Image

[color=#BF0000]She is a Finnish beauty queen. In 1952 she won the national beauty contest Suomen Neito and was presented with a trip to the United States to participate in the first-ever Miss Universe pageant, becoming its first titleholder in history.


Image

Image

[b]
[size=150]Early life


Kuusela's parents, Aarne Kuusela (father) and Martta Kyrö (mother) met each other in Ontario, Canada and later married there. Their first baby was born in Canada. After several years in Canada, they returned to Finland to settle in Muhos. Martta gave birth to five girls and one boy; one of the girls died when only two-and-a-half years old. Kuusela was born on August 20, 1934, she was the fourth oldest of the children.

She went to middle school in Muhos, and in 1951 she started attending the women's college in Porvoo. Kuusela liked swimming, skiing, gymnastics and after successfully completing her Abitur, she intended to apply to the University of Helsinki Gymnastics Institute.

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image


Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Miss Universe


When Kuusela won her country's national pageant, Suomen Neito, on May 24, 1952, she was awarded a box of chocolates, a gold bangle, and a two-way ticket sponsored by Pan American Airways to the United States. On June 17, Kuusela took a flight to Long Beach, California and the first Miss Universe contest.

Thirty contestants participated in the first Miss Universe pageant in 1952. The pageant was held on June 29, 1952, and Kuusela, as Suomen Neito, captured the crown. At her crowning she was only 17 years old. At the time she weighed 49 kg (108 lb), and her height was 1.65 m (5 ft 5 in).

Immediately after her winning there was a Finnish movie made of her, called Maailman kaunein tyttö (World's most beautiful girl) where she played herself, and Tauno Palo acted Jack Coleman (opposite role). It was directed by Veikko Itkonen, with writing credits going to Mika Waltari.

_____________________________________________________________________


a beautiful 17-year-old girl from Finland was crowned (by Hollywood actress Piper Laurie) the first Miss Universe at a glittering ceremony at The Municipal Auditorium in Long Beach, California, with a court of honor composed of Hawaiiâ Elza Kananionapua Edsman (first runner-up), Greeceâ Daisy Mavraki (second runner-up), Hong Kongâ Judy Dan (third runner-up) and Germanyâ Renate Hoy (fourth runner-up).

Nobody could have imagined that Armi would become an adopted daughter of the Philippines when she married Virgilio Hilario. Their love story was immortalized in a movie entitled Now and Forever.

Image

On March 9, 1953, nine months after she won the Miss U title, Armi was invited by the Philippine International Fair Committee to crown that year Miss Philippines. During her stay (until April 11, same year), Armi paid a courtesy call on then President Elpidio Quirino, Supreme Court justices, senators and congressmen; laid a wreath at the Bonifacio Monument; visited Maryknoll College (now Miriam College), UP, Ateneo de Manila, the Balara Filtration Plant and Baguio City where she met Virgilio through a blind date.

FACTS:

Armi was crowned Miss Universe in Florida 29/06/1952 strategisiet the dimensions were:

weight 49 kg
length of 165 cm
chest width 85 cm
waist 57,5 ​​cm
hips 85 cm



Life after Miss Universe


Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Marriage:
On February 22, 1953, Kuusela took a journey round the world, during which time she met a Filipino businessman, Virgilio Hilario. Less than a year later after being crowned, on May 4, 1953 Kuusela chose to give up her Miss Universe crown before her year was finished to marry Hilario in Tokyo. It was a whirlwind courtship. They met in March at a dance in Baguio, the summer capital of the Philippines. Miss Universe had gone to the Islands for the International Trade Exposition. They honeymooned in the Hawaiian Islands, toured the United States and then Europe,[1] before settling in the Philippines where they had five children:=

Arne Hilario, married with 3 children, lives in Chile

Anna-Lisa De Gari, married with 2 children, lives in Spain

Jussi Hilario, married, lives in Canada

Eva-Maria Hess, married with 2 children, lives in United States

Mikko Hilario, lives in the Philippines

Kuusela briefly managed the Manila apartment complex where she and Hilario lived before moving to an exclusive community called Forbes Park. Their house was on a road informally known as "Millionaire Street". She was also in one film in the Philippines around this time.


Image
Armi Kuusela Williams and Albert Williams


Later life


Hilario died of a heart attack on September 7, 1975, and Kuusela married an American diplomat, Albert Williams, on June 8, 1978. First they moved to Barcelona, then to İzmir, Turkey before settling in La Jolla, a community in San Diego, California. As of 2011, she and her husband were still living there. She is still active in her community, participating in charities and involved in cancer research at the Sanford-Burnham Medical Research Institute.

Camay Beauty


Image
Image


[b]THE END[/b]




credits: [wikipedia, veestar][/b][/size][/color]




thanks for this white horizon.. Im glad you posted it here...Nice to hear from a pageant historian like you... :-* :-* :-* :-*

Re: AAA- "ALL ABOUT ARMI"; A Tribute to the First Miss Unive

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:12 pm
by freddy26
Guys, please feel free to share your thoughts... :hx :hx :hx :hx

Re: AAA- "ALL ABOUT ARMI"; A Tribute to the First Miss Unive

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:33 am
by your_hotness
I so love this thread. Full of vintage pics. Kudos TS! :hx :hx :hx

Re: AAA- "ALL ABOUT ARMI"; A Tribute to the First Miss Unive

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 8:04 am
by roccor
frederick26 wrote:Guys, please feel free to share your thoughts... :hx :hx :hx :hx


nice post! why are there delegates from countries next to delegates from US states?

Re: AAA- "ALL ABOUT ARMI"; A Tribute to the First Miss Unive

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:50 am
by freddy26
roccor wrote:
frederick26 wrote:Guys, please feel free to share your thoughts... :hx :hx :hx :hx


nice post! why are there delegates from countries next to delegates from US states?




Thank you my friend...


As to your question, I am also clueless. Though Alaska and Hawaii are independently represented in this year's edition of Miss Universe.

Re: AAA- "ALL ABOUT ARMI"; A Tribute to the First Miss Unive

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:53 pm
by Malcanthet
So why were the contestants from Miss Universe posing with contestants from Miss USA?
Well, as we all know, the MIss USA and Miss Universe pageants were held back to back in those early years, so the delegates from both pageants gathered at the pageant venue at the same time and both posed for photos and engaged in the same activities.
The Miss Universe Pageant started with the the selection of Miss USA. Once Miss USA is crowned and almost right afterwards, the preliminaries for Miss Universe began with the participation of the newly crowned Miss USA and the foreign delegates.

And yes, Alaska and Hawaii were not States yet and were represented separately. After they become States, to win Miss Universe they have to win Miss USA first and so far Hawaii had pull that off.

Re: AAA- "ALL ABOUT ARMI"; A Tribute to the First Miss Unive

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 5:35 pm
by panchopolo
Adam324 wrote:
The 1st Miss Universe was married to a Filipino..... :hx

The 1st Miss International (Stella Marquez of Colombia) was married to a Filipino...

Is this a Coincedence ????? @-) :}


The first Miss Asia, Malaysia's Angela Filmer, married Jose Faustino, a Filipino.