AAA- "ALL ABOUT ARMI"; A Tribute to the First Miss Universe

Image



  • 8

AAA- "ALL ABOUT ARMI"; A Tribute to the First Miss Universe

Postby freddy26 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:57 pm

    

This is just a compilation of photos and factual information regarding the first ever Miss Universe, Armi Kuusela of Finland. Credits of recognition are given to the owners of photos and videos posted and to Wikipedia for the information cited...


Image



When Kuusela won her country's national pageant, Suomen Neito, on May 24, 1952, she was awarded a box of chocolates, a gold bangle, and a two-way ticket sponsored by Pan American Airways to the United States. On June 17, Kuusela took a flight to Long Beach, California and the first Miss Universe contest was held.



ImageImageImage


Thirty contestants participated in the first Miss Universe pageant in 1952. The pageant was held on June 29, 1952, and Kuusela, as Suomen Neito, captured the crown. At her crowning she was only 17 years old. At the time she weighed 49 kg (108 lb), and her height was 1.65 m (5 ft 5 in).

Immediately after her winning there was a Finnish movie made of her, called Maailman kaunein tyttö (World's most beautiful girl) where she played herself, and Tauno Palo acted Jack Coleman (opposite role). It was directed by Veikko Itkonen, with writing credits going to Mika Waltari.



ImageImageImageImageImage



On February 22, 1953, Kuusela took a journey round the world, during which time she met a Filipino businessman, Virgilio Hilario. Less than a year later after being crowned, on May 4, 1953 Kuusela chose to give up her Miss Universe crown before her year was finished to marry Hilario in Tokyo. It was a whirlwind courtship. They met in March at a dance in Baguio, the summer capital of the Philippines. Miss Universe had gone to the Islands for the International Trade Exposition. They honeymooned in the Hawaiian Islands, toured the United States and then Europe, before settling in the Philippines where they had five children:


Arne Hilario, married with 3 children, lives in Chile
Anna-Lisa De Gari, married with 2 children, lives in Spain
Jussi Hilario, married, lives in Canada
Eva-Maria Hess, married with 2 children, lives in United States
Mikko Hilario, lives in the Philippines


Kuusela briefly managed the Manila apartment complex where she and Hilario lived before moving to an exclusive community called Forbes Park. Their house was on a road informally known as "Millionaire Street".
She was also in one film in the Philippines around this time.



MORE PHOTOS

ImageImageImageImage



Armi Kuusela, Miss Universe 1952






ARMI KUUSELA (1952), AKIKO KOJIMA (1959), and MARGARITA MORAN (1973) DURING THE 1976 MISS UNIVERSE








Armi Kuusela's Interview During the 2011 Miss Universe






ENJOY READING!




PREVIOUS THREAD


REMINISCING BROOK LEE'S LOVELY PERSONALITY-- viewtopic.php?f=1&t=178944


Last edited by freddy26 on Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:33 am, edited 4 times in total.
Image

A True to Life Story

My Way of Loving You: A Short Story of Hyacinth and I-- viewtopic.php?f=1&t=179988
User avatar
freddy26
PAGEANT EXPERTS are MASTERS & PROFESSIONAL ANALYSTS of pageantry.
PAGEANT EXPERTS are MASTERS & PROFESSIONAL ANALYSTS of pageantry.
 
Posts: 2506
Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:22 pm
Location: Zamboanga City
Country: Philippines (ph)
Reputation: 7931
Real Life Name/Nick: Sith
Date of Birth: 07 Feb 1991
Gender: Male
Sexual Orientation: Asexual
Profession: Teacher
Western Zodiac Sign: Aquarius
Chinese Zodiac: Ox
Hobbies/Interests: Chatting

  • 0

Re: AAA- "ALL ABOUT ARMI"; A Tribute to the First Miss Unive

Postby Chocolat » Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:02 pm

Great Thread! Thank you for this. My awakening to pageantry was when my mother told me about the love story or Armi and Virgilio!

Thank you TS!
I was the former KUCHI until my account got locked out!
I now have finally RESURRECTED
User avatar
Chocolat
MISSOSOLOGISTS are OFFICIALLY part of the MISSOSOLOGY FAMILY.
MISSOSOLOGISTS are OFFICIALLY part of the MISSOSOLOGY FAMILY.
 
Posts: 263
Joined: Sun Oct 14, 2012 1:53 am
Location: Mandaluyong
Country: Philippines (ph)
Reputation: 69
Date of Birth: 07 Jul 1981
Gender: Male
Profession: Banker/Part time Make-up artist
Western Zodiac Sign: Cancer
Hobbies/Interests: Make up/Pageantry
Message: Write a message here

  • 0

Re: AAA- "ALL ABOUT ARMI"; A Tribute to the First Miss Unive

Postby freddy26 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:06 pm

Chocolat wrote:Great Thread! Thank you for this. My awakening to pageantry was when my mother told me about the love story or Armi and Virgilio!

Thank you TS!



Thank you for appreciating... :-* :-* :-* :-*
Image

A True to Life Story

My Way of Loving You: A Short Story of Hyacinth and I-- viewtopic.php?f=1&t=179988
User avatar
freddy26
PAGEANT EXPERTS are MASTERS & PROFESSIONAL ANALYSTS of pageantry.
PAGEANT EXPERTS are MASTERS & PROFESSIONAL ANALYSTS of pageantry.
 
Posts: 2506
Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:22 pm
Location: Zamboanga City
Country: Philippines (ph)
Reputation: 7931
Real Life Name/Nick: Sith
Date of Birth: 07 Feb 1991
Gender: Male
Sexual Orientation: Asexual
Profession: Teacher
Western Zodiac Sign: Aquarius
Chinese Zodiac: Ox
Hobbies/Interests: Chatting

  • 1

Re: AAA- "ALL ABOUT ARMI"; A Tribute to the First Miss Unive

Postby dextoi » Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:24 pm

Oh my goodness why wasn't she even recognized? Many Miss Universe title holders have passed away but the very first is still alive! She is a living legend! Her presence should have been recognized and she should have been given free front row tickets every year or whenever she could come.

God Bless her.. Thank you for posting!!
GalingKayEloi
Image
User avatar
dextoi
MISSOSOLOGISTS are OFFICIALLY part of the MISSOSOLOGY FAMILY.
MISSOSOLOGISTS are OFFICIALLY part of the MISSOSOLOGY FAMILY.
 
Posts: 228
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:37 am
Location: The Fort
Country: Philippines (ph)
Reputation: 87
Real Life Name/Nick: dextoi
Date of Birth: 19 Dec 1988
Gender: Male
Sexual Orientation: Asexual
Profession: I work in HR
Western Zodiac Sign: Sagittarius
Chinese Zodiac: Pig
Hobbies/Interests: Music / Travel / Foodporn
Message: Watchying pageants for 20 years now (it all started with Sushmita Sen)

  • 0

Re: AAA- "ALL ABOUT ARMI"; A Tribute to the First Miss Unive

Postby freddy26 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:02 pm

dextoi wrote:
Oh my goodness why wasn't she even recognized? Many Miss Universe title holders have passed away but the very first is still alive! She is a living legend! Her presence should have been recognized and she should have been given free front row tickets every year or whenever she could come.

God Bless her.. Thank you for posting!!


I also felt the same way though.... The MUO should give her due importance... :-*
Image

A True to Life Story

My Way of Loving You: A Short Story of Hyacinth and I-- viewtopic.php?f=1&t=179988
User avatar
freddy26
PAGEANT EXPERTS are MASTERS & PROFESSIONAL ANALYSTS of pageantry.
PAGEANT EXPERTS are MASTERS & PROFESSIONAL ANALYSTS of pageantry.
 
Posts: 2506
Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:22 pm
Location: Zamboanga City
Country: Philippines (ph)
Reputation: 7931
Real Life Name/Nick: Sith
Date of Birth: 07 Feb 1991
Gender: Male
Sexual Orientation: Asexual
Profession: Teacher
Western Zodiac Sign: Aquarius
Chinese Zodiac: Ox
Hobbies/Interests: Chatting

  • 0

Re: AAA- "ALL ABOUT ARMI"; A Tribute to the First Miss Unive

Postby Lárus Jósefson » Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:49 pm

dextoi wrote:
Oh my goodness why wasn't she even recognized? Many Miss Universe title holders have passed away but the very first is still alive! She is a living legend! Her presence should have been recognized and she should have been given free front row tickets every year or whenever she could come.

God Bless her.. Thank you for posting!!


Actually, there are only two Miss Universe titleholders who have passed away - Hellevi Rombin and Amparo Muñoz. :)>- Armi will forever be an icon of Miss Universe. I love her. 8-> I also agree that she should've been recognized by the Miss Universe Organization during their 60th Anniversary. The same goes with all living titleholders but I guess the organization couldn't cough up enough dough. :">
Image
User avatar
Lárus Jósefson
PAGEANT HISTORIANS are walking encyclopedias of pageantry.
PAGEANT HISTORIANS are walking encyclopedias of pageantry.
 
Posts: 415
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:54 am
Location: Makati City
Country: Philippines (ph)
Reputation: 185
Date of Birth: 03 Sep 1990
Gender: Male
Profession: Writer
Western Zodiac Sign: Virgo
Chinese Zodiac: Horse
Hobbies/Interests: Sports, Languages, Culture and Current Events

  • 1

Re: AAA- "ALL ABOUT ARMI"; A Tribute to the First Miss Unive

Postby Nokia 3315 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:53 pm

You are doing a great job!! I can see myself on you. hehe. the way you created your thread has somewhat similarities on mine. :-* :-* :hx that's why i like it more. :-*
Mutya Datul
Maine Elima
Pia Wurtzbach
Ara Arida
Parul Shah
Mercegrace Raquel
Ria Rabajante
Bea Santiago
Cass Naidas
Cindy Miranda
Hanna Sison
Valiry Vispo
Imelda Schweighart
Anna Buquid
Mariel De Leon
Nokia 3315
PAGEANT APPRENTICES are novice experts & connoisseurs.
PAGEANT APPRENTICES are novice experts & connoisseurs.
 
Posts: 853
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:14 am
Country: Philippines (ph)
Reputation: 380
Real Life Name/Nick: angel
Date of Birth: 06 Jan 1991
Gender: Male
Sexual Orientation: Asexual
Profession: Beauty Expert and Consultant
Western Zodiac Sign: Taurus
Chinese Zodiac: Rat
Hobbies/Interests: vanity, pose, modelling, analyzing beauty
Message: hello missosologists!

  • 0

Re: AAA- "ALL ABOUT ARMI"; A Tribute to the First Miss Unive

Postby freddy26 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:19 pm

Lárus Jósefson wrote:
dextoi wrote:
Oh my goodness why wasn't she even recognized? Many Miss Universe title holders have passed away but the very first is still alive! She is a living legend! Her presence should have been recognized and she should have been given free front row tickets every year or whenever she could come.

God Bless her.. Thank you for posting!!


Actually, there are only two Miss Universe titleholders who have passed away - Hellevi Rombin and Amparo Muñoz. :)>- Armi will forever be an icon of Miss Universe. I love her. 8-> I also agree that she should've been recognized by the Miss Universe Organization during their 60th Anniversary. The same goes with all living titleholders but I guess the organization couldn't cough up enough dough. :">


Great Point my dear,,,, :=p :=p :=p
Image

A True to Life Story

My Way of Loving You: A Short Story of Hyacinth and I-- viewtopic.php?f=1&t=179988
User avatar
freddy26
PAGEANT EXPERTS are MASTERS & PROFESSIONAL ANALYSTS of pageantry.
PAGEANT EXPERTS are MASTERS & PROFESSIONAL ANALYSTS of pageantry.
 
Posts: 2506
Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:22 pm
Location: Zamboanga City
Country: Philippines (ph)
Reputation: 7931
Real Life Name/Nick: Sith
Date of Birth: 07 Feb 1991
Gender: Male
Sexual Orientation: Asexual
Profession: Teacher
Western Zodiac Sign: Aquarius
Chinese Zodiac: Ox
Hobbies/Interests: Chatting

  • 1

Re: AAA- "ALL ABOUT ARMI"; A Tribute to the First Miss Unive

Postby freddy26 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:21 pm

Nokia 3315 wrote:You are doing a great job!! I can see myself on you. hehe. the way you created your thread has somewhat similarities on mine. :-* :-* :hx that's why i like it more. :-*



Thank you so much.. I am really honored with what you said...Take care! >:D< >:D< :hx :hx
Image

A True to Life Story

My Way of Loving You: A Short Story of Hyacinth and I-- viewtopic.php?f=1&t=179988
User avatar
freddy26
PAGEANT EXPERTS are MASTERS & PROFESSIONAL ANALYSTS of pageantry.
PAGEANT EXPERTS are MASTERS & PROFESSIONAL ANALYSTS of pageantry.
 
Posts: 2506
Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:22 pm
Location: Zamboanga City
Country: Philippines (ph)
Reputation: 7931
Real Life Name/Nick: Sith
Date of Birth: 07 Feb 1991
Gender: Male
Sexual Orientation: Asexual
Profession: Teacher
Western Zodiac Sign: Aquarius
Chinese Zodiac: Ox
Hobbies/Interests: Chatting

  • 0

Re: AAA- "ALL ABOUT ARMI"; A Tribute to the First Miss Unive

Postby toothandnail » Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:56 pm

WOW I BET THEIR CHILDREN AND GRAND CHILDREN ARE ALL GOOD LOOKING :=p :=p :=p :=p
User avatar
toothandnail
ELITES are highly regarded as FINEST posters of Missosology.
ELITES are highly regarded as FINEST posters of Missosology.
 
Posts: 2936
Joined: Sun Apr 01, 2012 2:01 am
Location: muntinlupa city
Country: Philippines (ph)
Reputation: 472
Real Life Name/Nick: Mark Anthony Kinkito
Date of Birth: 26 Sep 1986
Gender: Male
Sexual Orientation: Asexual
Profession: embalmer
Western Zodiac Sign: Libra
Chinese Zodiac: Tiger
Hobbies/Interests: watch reality shows , mixed martial arts
Message: JUST HERE FOR THE LOVE OF PAGEANTS

  • 0

Re: AAA- "ALL ABOUT ARMI"; A Tribute to the First Miss Unive

Postby freddy26 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:16 am

toothandnail wrote:WOW I BET THEIR CHILDREN AND GRAND CHILDREN ARE ALL GOOD LOOKING :=p :=p :=p :=p




:=p :=p :=p :=p :=p
Image

A True to Life Story

My Way of Loving You: A Short Story of Hyacinth and I-- viewtopic.php?f=1&t=179988
User avatar
freddy26
PAGEANT EXPERTS are MASTERS & PROFESSIONAL ANALYSTS of pageantry.
PAGEANT EXPERTS are MASTERS & PROFESSIONAL ANALYSTS of pageantry.
 
Posts: 2506
Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:22 pm
Location: Zamboanga City
Country: Philippines (ph)
Reputation: 7931
Real Life Name/Nick: Sith
Date of Birth: 07 Feb 1991
Gender: Male
Sexual Orientation: Asexual
Profession: Teacher
Western Zodiac Sign: Aquarius
Chinese Zodiac: Ox
Hobbies/Interests: Chatting

  • 0

Re: AAA- "ALL ABOUT ARMI"; A Tribute to the First Miss Unive

Postby SINCHAN SHOE » Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:51 am

:-* :-* :-* :-* wonder how gorgeous her grand children would look like... 8-> 8->
User avatar
SINCHAN SHOE
ELITES are highly regarded as FINEST posters of Missosology.
ELITES are highly regarded as FINEST posters of Missosology.
 
Posts: 8198
Joined: Wed Jun 23, 2010 2:18 am
Location: SITIO KAMAGAYAN
Country: Philippines (ph)
Reputation: 7825
Real Life Name/Nick: JAMES
Date of Birth: 22 Sep 1990
Gender: Male
Profession: Engineer, Professional Adult Phone Entertainer
Western Zodiac Sign: Virgo
Chinese Zodiac: Tiger
Hobbies/Interests: Many to mention
Message: Hello

  • 0

Re: AAA- "ALL ABOUT ARMI"; A Tribute to the First Miss Unive

Postby Ashanti » Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:24 am

She and Gloria Diaz deserve recognition from MUO.
Ashanti
MISSOSOLOGISTS are OFFICIALLY part of the MISSOSOLOGY FAMILY.
MISSOSOLOGISTS are OFFICIALLY part of the MISSOSOLOGY FAMILY.
 
Posts: 277
Joined: Sat Oct 13, 2012 12:43 pm
Location: Sabah
Country: Philippines (ph)
Reputation: -94
Real Life Name/Nick: Monique
Date of Birth: 21 Dec 1990
Gender: Female
Profession: Student
Western Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Chinese Zodiac: Rooster
Hobbies/Interests: travelling
Message: Write a message here

  • 0

Re: AAA- "ALL ABOUT ARMI"; A Tribute to the First Miss Unive

Postby freddy26 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:25 am

SINCHAN SHOE wrote: :-* :-* :-* :-* wonder how gorgeous her grand children would look like... 8-> 8->


me too.. 8->
Image

A True to Life Story

My Way of Loving You: A Short Story of Hyacinth and I-- viewtopic.php?f=1&t=179988
User avatar
freddy26
PAGEANT EXPERTS are MASTERS & PROFESSIONAL ANALYSTS of pageantry.
PAGEANT EXPERTS are MASTERS & PROFESSIONAL ANALYSTS of pageantry.
 
Posts: 2506
Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:22 pm
Location: Zamboanga City
Country: Philippines (ph)
Reputation: 7931
Real Life Name/Nick: Sith
Date of Birth: 07 Feb 1991
Gender: Male
Sexual Orientation: Asexual
Profession: Teacher
Western Zodiac Sign: Aquarius
Chinese Zodiac: Ox
Hobbies/Interests: Chatting

  • 0

Re: AAA- "ALL ABOUT ARMI"; A Tribute to the First Miss Unive

Postby freddy26 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:26 am

Ashanti wrote:She and Gloria Diaz deserve recognition from MUO.


:=p :=p :=p :=p :=p :=p
Image

A True to Life Story

My Way of Loving You: A Short Story of Hyacinth and I-- viewtopic.php?f=1&t=179988
User avatar
freddy26
PAGEANT EXPERTS are MASTERS & PROFESSIONAL ANALYSTS of pageantry.
PAGEANT EXPERTS are MASTERS & PROFESSIONAL ANALYSTS of pageantry.
 
Posts: 2506
Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:22 pm
Location: Zamboanga City
Country: Philippines (ph)
Reputation: 7931
Real Life Name/Nick: Sith
Date of Birth: 07 Feb 1991
Gender: Male
Sexual Orientation: Asexual
Profession: Teacher
Western Zodiac Sign: Aquarius
Chinese Zodiac: Ox
Hobbies/Interests: Chatting

  • 1

Re: AAA- "ALL ABOUT ARMI"; A Tribute to the First Miss Unive

Postby xtine » Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:27 am

Armi's movie "Now & Forever" with husband Virgilio Hilario
User avatar
xtine
MISSOSOLOGISTS are OFFICIALLY part of the MISSOSOLOGY FAMILY.
MISSOSOLOGISTS are OFFICIALLY part of the MISSOSOLOGY FAMILY.
 
Posts: 408
Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2008 6:02 am
Country: Philippines (ph)
Reputation: 62
Date of Birth: 01 Dec 2016
Gender: Female
Sexual Orientation: Not sure
Profession: Student
Western Zodiac Sign: Sagittarius
Chinese Zodiac: Pig
Hobbies/Interests: Pageants
Message: World Peace...

  • 0

Re: AAA- "ALL ABOUT ARMI"; A Tribute to the First Miss Unive

Postby Jedi » Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:38 am

I love that first video. :hx Thanks for sharing. :=p :=p :=p
Big Four Queens Of The Philippines

Gemma ~ Gloria ~ Aurora ~ Margie ~ Melanie
Lara ~ Karla ~ Megan ~ Bea ~ Jamie
Angelia ~ Pia ~ Kylie
User avatar
Jedi
ELITES are highly regarded as FINEST posters of Missosology.
ELITES are highly regarded as FINEST posters of Missosology.
 
Posts: 7560
Joined: Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:53 am
Location: The Lone Star Queen City Of The South
Country: United States (us)
Reputation: 1199
Real Life Name/Nick: Jedi
Date of Birth: 02 Jun 1991
Gender: Male
Sexual Orientation: -----------
Profession: Working student
Western Zodiac Sign: Aquarius
Chinese Zodiac: Goat
Hobbies/Interests: ~~~~~
Message: Beauty outside is GOOD, beauty inside is BETTER... but to have them both is for the BEST...

  • 0

Re: AAA- "ALL ABOUT ARMI"; A Tribute to the First Miss Unive

Postby freddy26 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:48 am

Jedi wrote:I love that first video. :hx Thanks for sharing. :=p :=p :=p





You're welcome my friend.... >:D<
Image

A True to Life Story

My Way of Loving You: A Short Story of Hyacinth and I-- viewtopic.php?f=1&t=179988
User avatar
freddy26
PAGEANT EXPERTS are MASTERS & PROFESSIONAL ANALYSTS of pageantry.
PAGEANT EXPERTS are MASTERS & PROFESSIONAL ANALYSTS of pageantry.
 
Posts: 2506
Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:22 pm
Location: Zamboanga City
Country: Philippines (ph)
Reputation: 7931
Real Life Name/Nick: Sith
Date of Birth: 07 Feb 1991
Gender: Male
Sexual Orientation: Asexual
Profession: Teacher
Western Zodiac Sign: Aquarius
Chinese Zodiac: Ox
Hobbies/Interests: Chatting

  • 0

Re: AAA- "ALL ABOUT ARMI"; A Tribute to the First Miss Unive

Postby freddy26 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:49 am

xtine wrote:Armi's movie "Now & Forever" with husband Virgilio Hilario





thanks for sharing this video xtine... >:D< >:D<
Image

A True to Life Story

My Way of Loving You: A Short Story of Hyacinth and I-- viewtopic.php?f=1&t=179988
User avatar
freddy26
PAGEANT EXPERTS are MASTERS & PROFESSIONAL ANALYSTS of pageantry.
PAGEANT EXPERTS are MASTERS & PROFESSIONAL ANALYSTS of pageantry.
 
Posts: 2506
Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:22 pm
Location: Zamboanga City
Country: Philippines (ph)
Reputation: 7931
Real Life Name/Nick: Sith
Date of Birth: 07 Feb 1991
Gender: Male
Sexual Orientation: Asexual
Profession: Teacher
Western Zodiac Sign: Aquarius
Chinese Zodiac: Ox
Hobbies/Interests: Chatting

  • 1

Re: AAA- "ALL ABOUT ARMI"; A Tribute to the First Miss Unive

Postby White Horizon » Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:14 am

from my thread: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=149251

Image

Image

[color=#BF0000]She is a Finnish beauty queen. In 1952 she won the national beauty contest Suomen Neito and was presented with a trip to the United States to participate in the first-ever Miss Universe pageant, becoming its first titleholder in history.


Image

Image

[b]
[size=150]Early life


Kuusela's parents, Aarne Kuusela (father) and Martta Kyrö (mother) met each other in Ontario, Canada and later married there. Their first baby was born in Canada. After several years in Canada, they returned to Finland to settle in Muhos. Martta gave birth to five girls and one boy; one of the girls died when only two-and-a-half years old. Kuusela was born on August 20, 1934, she was the fourth oldest of the children.

She went to middle school in Muhos, and in 1951 she started attending the women's college in Porvoo. Kuusela liked swimming, skiing, gymnastics and after successfully completing her Abitur, she intended to apply to the University of Helsinki Gymnastics Institute.

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image


Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Miss Universe


When Kuusela won her country's national pageant, Suomen Neito, on May 24, 1952, she was awarded a box of chocolates, a gold bangle, and a two-way ticket sponsored by Pan American Airways to the United States. On June 17, Kuusela took a flight to Long Beach, California and the first Miss Universe contest.

Thirty contestants participated in the first Miss Universe pageant in 1952. The pageant was held on June 29, 1952, and Kuusela, as Suomen Neito, captured the crown. At her crowning she was only 17 years old. At the time she weighed 49 kg (108 lb), and her height was 1.65 m (5 ft 5 in).

Immediately after her winning there was a Finnish movie made of her, called Maailman kaunein tyttö (World's most beautiful girl) where she played herself, and Tauno Palo acted Jack Coleman (opposite role). It was directed by Veikko Itkonen, with writing credits going to Mika Waltari.

_____________________________________________________________________


a beautiful 17-year-old girl from Finland was crowned (by Hollywood actress Piper Laurie) the first Miss Universe at a glittering ceremony at The Municipal Auditorium in Long Beach, California, with a court of honor composed of Hawaiiâ Elza Kananionapua Edsman (first runner-up), Greeceâ Daisy Mavraki (second runner-up), Hong Kongâ Judy Dan (third runner-up) and Germanyâ Renate Hoy (fourth runner-up).

Nobody could have imagined that Armi would become an adopted daughter of the Philippines when she married Virgilio Hilario. Their love story was immortalized in a movie entitled Now and Forever.

Image

On March 9, 1953, nine months after she won the Miss U title, Armi was invited by the Philippine International Fair Committee to crown that year Miss Philippines. During her stay (until April 11, same year), Armi paid a courtesy call on then President Elpidio Quirino, Supreme Court justices, senators and congressmen; laid a wreath at the Bonifacio Monument; visited Maryknoll College (now Miriam College), UP, Ateneo de Manila, the Balara Filtration Plant and Baguio City where she met Virgilio through a blind date.

FACTS:

Armi was crowned Miss Universe in Florida 29/06/1952 strategisiet the dimensions were:

weight 49 kg
length of 165 cm
chest width 85 cm
waist 57,5 ​​cm
hips 85 cm



Life after Miss Universe


Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Marriage:
On February 22, 1953, Kuusela took a journey round the world, during which time she met a Filipino businessman, Virgilio Hilario. Less than a year later after being crowned, on May 4, 1953 Kuusela chose to give up her Miss Universe crown before her year was finished to marry Hilario in Tokyo. It was a whirlwind courtship. They met in March at a dance in Baguio, the summer capital of the Philippines. Miss Universe had gone to the Islands for the International Trade Exposition. They honeymooned in the Hawaiian Islands, toured the United States and then Europe,[1] before settling in the Philippines where they had five children:=

Arne Hilario, married with 3 children, lives in Chile

Anna-Lisa De Gari, married with 2 children, lives in Spain

Jussi Hilario, married, lives in Canada

Eva-Maria Hess, married with 2 children, lives in United States

Mikko Hilario, lives in the Philippines

Kuusela briefly managed the Manila apartment complex where she and Hilario lived before moving to an exclusive community called Forbes Park. Their house was on a road informally known as "Millionaire Street". She was also in one film in the Philippines around this time.


Image
Armi Kuusela Williams and Albert Williams


Later life


Hilario died of a heart attack on September 7, 1975, and Kuusela married an American diplomat, Albert Williams, on June 8, 1978. First they moved to Barcelona, then to İzmir, Turkey before settling in La Jolla, a community in San Diego, California. As of 2011, she and her husband were still living there. She is still active in her community, participating in charities and involved in cancer research at the Sanford-Burnham Medical Research Institute.

Camay Beauty


Image
Image


[b]THE END[/b]




credits: [wikipedia, veestar][/b][/size][/color]
User avatar
White Horizon
PAGEANT HISTORIANS are walking encyclopedias of pageantry.
PAGEANT HISTORIANS are walking encyclopedias of pageantry.
 
Posts: 1383
Joined: Tue May 01, 2012 3:13 pm
Location: Port Louis
Country: Mauritius (mu)
Reputation: 606
Real Life Name/Nick: Gloria Margarita Diaz Moran
Date of Birth: 21 Dec 1975
Gender: Male
Profession: pageant historian, correspondent, bitch.
Western Zodiac Sign: Aries
Chinese Zodiac: Dog
Hobbies/Interests: writing and collecting pageant pictures
Message: Hello Misso! I'm here for a change! =)

  • 0

Re: AAA- "ALL ABOUT ARMI"; A Tribute to the First Miss Unive

Postby White Horizon » Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:14 am

White Horizon wrote:
MORE PHOTOS OF ARMI KUUSELA


Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
User avatar
White Horizon
PAGEANT HISTORIANS are walking encyclopedias of pageantry.
PAGEANT HISTORIANS are walking encyclopedias of pageantry.
 
Posts: 1383
Joined: Tue May 01, 2012 3:13 pm
Location: Port Louis
Country: Mauritius (mu)
Reputation: 606
Real Life Name/Nick: Gloria Margarita Diaz Moran
Date of Birth: 21 Dec 1975
Gender: Male
Profession: pageant historian, correspondent, bitch.
Western Zodiac Sign: Aries
Chinese Zodiac: Dog
Hobbies/Interests: writing and collecting pageant pictures
Message: Hello Misso! I'm here for a change! =)

  • 0

Re: AAA- "ALL ABOUT ARMI"; A Tribute to the First Miss Unive

Postby Adam324 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:42 am




The 1st Miss Universe was married to a Filipino..... :hx



The 1st Miss International (Stella Marquez of Colombia) was married to a Filipino...




Is this a Coincedence ????? @-) :}














Catriona Gray for Miss World 2016 !












User avatar
Adam324
ELITES are highly regarded as FINEST posters of Missosology.
ELITES are highly regarded as FINEST posters of Missosology.
 
Posts: 11043
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2009 6:12 am
Location: Paradise
Country: Uzbekistan (uz)
Reputation: 6450
Date of Birth: 24 Mar 2035
Gender: Male
Sexual Orientation: Asexual
Profession: Self-employed
Western Zodiac Sign: Aries
Hobbies/Interests: Cooking, Travel, Singing, Collecting coins, Art
Message: Dec. 21, 2015 :Pia's M.U. 2015 Crowning was a Historic Moment in Miss Universe !

  • 0

Re: AAA- "ALL ABOUT ARMI"; A Tribute to the First Miss Unive

Postby freddy26 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:27 am

White Horizon wrote:from my thread: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=149251

Image

Image

[color=#BF0000]She is a Finnish beauty queen. In 1952 she won the national beauty contest Suomen Neito and was presented with a trip to the United States to participate in the first-ever Miss Universe pageant, becoming its first titleholder in history.


Image

Image

[b]
[size=150]Early life


Kuusela's parents, Aarne Kuusela (father) and Martta Kyrö (mother) met each other in Ontario, Canada and later married there. Their first baby was born in Canada. After several years in Canada, they returned to Finland to settle in Muhos. Martta gave birth to five girls and one boy; one of the girls died when only two-and-a-half years old. Kuusela was born on August 20, 1934, she was the fourth oldest of the children.

She went to middle school in Muhos, and in 1951 she started attending the women's college in Porvoo. Kuusela liked swimming, skiing, gymnastics and after successfully completing her Abitur, she intended to apply to the University of Helsinki Gymnastics Institute.

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image


Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Miss Universe


When Kuusela won her country's national pageant, Suomen Neito, on May 24, 1952, she was awarded a box of chocolates, a gold bangle, and a two-way ticket sponsored by Pan American Airways to the United States. On June 17, Kuusela took a flight to Long Beach, California and the first Miss Universe contest.

Thirty contestants participated in the first Miss Universe pageant in 1952. The pageant was held on June 29, 1952, and Kuusela, as Suomen Neito, captured the crown. At her crowning she was only 17 years old. At the time she weighed 49 kg (108 lb), and her height was 1.65 m (5 ft 5 in).

Immediately after her winning there was a Finnish movie made of her, called Maailman kaunein tyttö (World's most beautiful girl) where she played herself, and Tauno Palo acted Jack Coleman (opposite role). It was directed by Veikko Itkonen, with writing credits going to Mika Waltari.

_____________________________________________________________________


a beautiful 17-year-old girl from Finland was crowned (by Hollywood actress Piper Laurie) the first Miss Universe at a glittering ceremony at The Municipal Auditorium in Long Beach, California, with a court of honor composed of Hawaiiâ Elza Kananionapua Edsman (first runner-up), Greeceâ Daisy Mavraki (second runner-up), Hong Kongâ Judy Dan (third runner-up) and Germanyâ Renate Hoy (fourth runner-up).

Nobody could have imagined that Armi would become an adopted daughter of the Philippines when she married Virgilio Hilario. Their love story was immortalized in a movie entitled Now and Forever.

Image

On March 9, 1953, nine months after she won the Miss U title, Armi was invited by the Philippine International Fair Committee to crown that year Miss Philippines. During her stay (until April 11, same year), Armi paid a courtesy call on then President Elpidio Quirino, Supreme Court justices, senators and congressmen; laid a wreath at the Bonifacio Monument; visited Maryknoll College (now Miriam College), UP, Ateneo de Manila, the Balara Filtration Plant and Baguio City where she met Virgilio through a blind date.

FACTS:

Armi was crowned Miss Universe in Florida 29/06/1952 strategisiet the dimensions were:

weight 49 kg
length of 165 cm
chest width 85 cm
waist 57,5 ​​cm
hips 85 cm



Life after Miss Universe


Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Marriage:
On February 22, 1953, Kuusela took a journey round the world, during which time she met a Filipino businessman, Virgilio Hilario. Less than a year later after being crowned, on May 4, 1953 Kuusela chose to give up her Miss Universe crown before her year was finished to marry Hilario in Tokyo. It was a whirlwind courtship. They met in March at a dance in Baguio, the summer capital of the Philippines. Miss Universe had gone to the Islands for the International Trade Exposition. They honeymooned in the Hawaiian Islands, toured the United States and then Europe,[1] before settling in the Philippines where they had five children:=

Arne Hilario, married with 3 children, lives in Chile

Anna-Lisa De Gari, married with 2 children, lives in Spain

Jussi Hilario, married, lives in Canada

Eva-Maria Hess, married with 2 children, lives in United States

Mikko Hilario, lives in the Philippines

Kuusela briefly managed the Manila apartment complex where she and Hilario lived before moving to an exclusive community called Forbes Park. Their house was on a road informally known as "Millionaire Street". She was also in one film in the Philippines around this time.


Image
Armi Kuusela Williams and Albert Williams


Later life


Hilario died of a heart attack on September 7, 1975, and Kuusela married an American diplomat, Albert Williams, on June 8, 1978. First they moved to Barcelona, then to İzmir, Turkey before settling in La Jolla, a community in San Diego, California. As of 2011, she and her husband were still living there. She is still active in her community, participating in charities and involved in cancer research at the Sanford-Burnham Medical Research Institute.

Camay Beauty


Image
Image


[b]THE END[/b]




credits: [wikipedia, veestar][/b][/size][/color]




thanks for this white horizon.. Im glad you posted it here...Nice to hear from a pageant historian like you... :-* :-* :-* :-*
Image

A True to Life Story

My Way of Loving You: A Short Story of Hyacinth and I-- viewtopic.php?f=1&t=179988
User avatar
freddy26
PAGEANT EXPERTS are MASTERS & PROFESSIONAL ANALYSTS of pageantry.
PAGEANT EXPERTS are MASTERS & PROFESSIONAL ANALYSTS of pageantry.
 
Posts: 2506
Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:22 pm
Location: Zamboanga City
Country: Philippines (ph)
Reputation: 7931
Real Life Name/Nick: Sith
Date of Birth: 07 Feb 1991
Gender: Male
Sexual Orientation: Asexual
Profession: Teacher
Western Zodiac Sign: Aquarius
Chinese Zodiac: Ox
Hobbies/Interests: Chatting

  • 0

Re: AAA- "ALL ABOUT ARMI"; A Tribute to the First Miss Unive

Postby freddy26 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:12 pm

Guys, please feel free to share your thoughts... :hx :hx :hx :hx
Image

A True to Life Story

My Way of Loving You: A Short Story of Hyacinth and I-- viewtopic.php?f=1&t=179988
User avatar
freddy26
PAGEANT EXPERTS are MASTERS & PROFESSIONAL ANALYSTS of pageantry.
PAGEANT EXPERTS are MASTERS & PROFESSIONAL ANALYSTS of pageantry.
 
Posts: 2506
Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:22 pm
Location: Zamboanga City
Country: Philippines (ph)
Reputation: 7931
Real Life Name/Nick: Sith
Date of Birth: 07 Feb 1991
Gender: Male
Sexual Orientation: Asexual
Profession: Teacher
Western Zodiac Sign: Aquarius
Chinese Zodiac: Ox
Hobbies/Interests: Chatting

  • 1

Re: AAA- "ALL ABOUT ARMI"; A Tribute to the First Miss Unive

Postby your_hotness » Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:33 am

I so love this thread. Full of vintage pics. Kudos TS! :hx :hx :hx
User avatar
your_hotness
PIONEERS are the most experienced members of Missosology.
PIONEERS are the most experienced members of Missosology.
 
Posts: 616
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:08 pm
Location: Vienna
Country: Austria (at)
Reputation: 225
Date of Birth: 31 Dec 1992
Gender: Female
Sexual Orientation: Straight
Profession: Pageant Enthusiast
Western Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Chinese Zodiac: Monkey
Hobbies/Interests: Beauty Pageant, Sports and Food
Message: I'm really a fan of this site. More power!

  • 1

Re: AAA- "ALL ABOUT ARMI"; A Tribute to the First Miss Unive

Postby roccor » Sun Feb 02, 2014 8:04 am

frederick26 wrote:Guys, please feel free to share your thoughts... :hx :hx :hx :hx


nice post! why are there delegates from countries next to delegates from US states?
User avatar
roccor
CORRESPONDENTS are OFFICIAL pageant REPORTERS & PHOTOGRAPHERS of Missosology.
CORRESPONDENTS are OFFICIAL pageant REPORTERS & PHOTOGRAPHERS of Missosology.
 
Posts: 1378
Joined: Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:48 am
Location: Los Angeles, CA (WESTSIDE!!!)
Country: United States (us)
Reputation: 681
Real Life Name/Nick: Rocco R
Date of Birth: 21 Dec 2008
Gender: Male
Western Zodiac Sign: Sagittarius
Chinese Zodiac: Rabbit
Hobbies/Interests: Hotties. Surfing.
Message: Whazzup

  • 0

Re: AAA- "ALL ABOUT ARMI"; A Tribute to the First Miss Unive

Postby freddy26 » Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:50 am

roccor wrote:
frederick26 wrote:Guys, please feel free to share your thoughts... :hx :hx :hx :hx


nice post! why are there delegates from countries next to delegates from US states?




Thank you my friend...


As to your question, I am also clueless. Though Alaska and Hawaii are independently represented in this year's edition of Miss Universe.
Image

A True to Life Story

My Way of Loving You: A Short Story of Hyacinth and I-- viewtopic.php?f=1&t=179988
User avatar
freddy26
PAGEANT EXPERTS are MASTERS & PROFESSIONAL ANALYSTS of pageantry.
PAGEANT EXPERTS are MASTERS & PROFESSIONAL ANALYSTS of pageantry.
 
Posts: 2506
Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:22 pm
Location: Zamboanga City
Country: Philippines (ph)
Reputation: 7931
Real Life Name/Nick: Sith
Date of Birth: 07 Feb 1991
Gender: Male
Sexual Orientation: Asexual
Profession: Teacher
Western Zodiac Sign: Aquarius
Chinese Zodiac: Ox
Hobbies/Interests: Chatting

  • 1

Re: AAA- "ALL ABOUT ARMI"; A Tribute to the First Miss Unive

Postby Malcanthet » Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:53 pm

So why were the contestants from Miss Universe posing with contestants from Miss USA?
Well, as we all know, the MIss USA and Miss Universe pageants were held back to back in those early years, so the delegates from both pageants gathered at the pageant venue at the same time and both posed for photos and engaged in the same activities.
The Miss Universe Pageant started with the the selection of Miss USA. Once Miss USA is crowned and almost right afterwards, the preliminaries for Miss Universe began with the participation of the newly crowned Miss USA and the foreign delegates.

And yes, Alaska and Hawaii were not States yet and were represented separately. After they become States, to win Miss Universe they have to win Miss USA first and so far Hawaii had pull that off.
User avatar
Malcanthet
MISSOSOLOGISTS are OFFICIALLY part of the MISSOSOLOGY FAMILY.
MISSOSOLOGISTS are OFFICIALLY part of the MISSOSOLOGY FAMILY.
 
Posts: 1624
Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:55 pm
Location: New York City
Country: United States (us)
Reputation: 772
Real Life Name/Nick: KL
Date of Birth: 01 Jan 1969
Gender: Male
Profession: Adm Asst
Western Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Chinese Zodiac: Monkey
Hobbies/Interests: Music, swimming
Message: Write a message here

  • 0

Re: AAA- "ALL ABOUT ARMI"; A Tribute to the First Miss Unive

Postby panchopolo » Sun Feb 08, 2015 5:35 pm

Adam324 wrote:
The 1st Miss Universe was married to a Filipino..... :hx

The 1st Miss International (Stella Marquez of Colombia) was married to a Filipino...

Is this a Coincedence ????? @-) :}


The first Miss Asia, Malaysia's Angela Filmer, married Jose Faustino, a Filipino.
User avatar
panchopolo
ELITES are highly regarded as FINEST posters of Missosology.
ELITES are highly regarded as FINEST posters of Missosology.
 
Posts: 2061
Joined: Tue Aug 18, 2009 1:15 pm
Location: Manila, Manila!
Country: India (in)
Reputation: 1847
Date of Birth: 20 Dec 2012
Gender: Male
Sexual Orientation: -----------
Profession: Croquis and Maquette Maker
Hobbies/Interests: Providing arcane information on need-to-know basis
Message: Post messages that matter for posts that don’t matter


Return to Miss Universe

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 1980charlesmichael, aj_kween, Akosi Junior, Alix-ann, analane, Arandu, Arduina, Ariella, babycakes55, BeautyEnthusiast, chance2012, ChasingTheRain, cheddarval, Chris HabibMaalouf, dabunique, Deansport, disapoinment, drew_qc, dynanmo2017, elio, excalibur master, fanyaxylona, favisol, febrisaulia, fkhan, FRIZ, hermanix, inobsg, jaosmorgasbord, lheisaj, ManMeat, mark2020, merah, MikGanderson, Miss(ter), MISSWORLDFANATIC, MrBotox, Onitsuka_Freak, Pageanaticz, Pageantholic, pearl26, peterlopes57, Peterparker, PeterPerelli55, Phalanx, powerpuff, QUEENoftheNIGHT, randynonoy, rave_01, robbycas10, salinas1469, somosperu, starphil, suki9, sxylia313, syahfiqz89, t.chernushkinRaR, TamilliO, theblob, Vlada, WassoMaki, WOLF, xejo, Yessy2302, youyieboi, Zark and 10923 guests

© Missosology's International Pageant Coverages ©
Mister Supranational Miss Eco International Mister Universal Ambassador
Mister Supranational Miss Eco International Mister Universal Ambassador
Miss Intercontinental Mister International Miss Cosmopolitan World
Miss Intercontinental Mister International Miss Cosmopolitan World
Miss Grand International Face of Beauty International Supermodel International
Miss Grand International Face of Beauty International Supermodel International
Mister Global Miss Supranational Miss Earth
Mister Global Miss Supranational Miss Earth
Miss International Miss World Miss Universe
Miss International Miss World Miss Universe


contact us to advertise with missosology
Reputation System ©'