| THE DUCHESS | MISS UNIVERSE PR '19 | PRE-PRELIM LIST

| THE DUCHESS | MISS UNIVERSE PR '19 | PRE-PRELIM LIST

Postby The Duchess » Thu Jun 06, 2019 3:45 am

| THE DUCHESS PRE-PRELIMINARY LIST |
| MISS UNIVERSE PUERTO RICO 2019 |

Hello my beauties, this is my Pre-Preliminary list finally and it has been so exhausting because I am not only looking for Miss Universe Puerto Rico but also the whole BB. Pilipinas queens. So this year, I have gone through SO much material trying to put together my lists and it’s no easy feat because there’s too many pageants to consider. But now I can sit back and talk to you a bit about my local pageant on its second year under the direction of former Miss Universe Denise Quinones. I have to say that Denise’s first year as national director truly was amazing and impressive, and got us out of the slump we were in. She trained a girl with literally no experience in pageantry and in two-three months helped her become a Miss Universe. And I say a Miss Universe because all that Top had the capability to become one, they were all that good. She provided us with a better format for our local pageant and any contestant will tell you they are getting a much better experience pre-pageant. We also saw all the opportunities our beautiful Kiara had and still has during her reign, she has done incredible things during her reign. The beautiful Kiara became a hit in the pageant world and was consistently in the majority of lists from the moment she was crowned until the night of the pageant. She brought the interest for Miss Universe to Puertorricans in a way that we hadn’t had in quite some time. I don’t know what Kiara’s future holds but I definitely cannot wait to see where she goes next. I’ve heard many suggestions ranging from acting to another pageant but honestly I think she will be successful in anything she tries. So last year I got 12/16 from my prediction last year and successfully predicted the winner which I hadn’t done since Monic in 2013. Before that I did pretty good in the predictions for this pageant because like Venezuela, the formulas are not really difficult to predict. Or at least I don’t think so, but these past years were years that the girl that I crowned was always Top 3 but didn’t win. Then last year I did very well, which I am very happy about, same in Miss Venezuela; so we are hopeful.

So I will be posting my list of the Miss Universe pageant before and after the preliminary because that will solidified and/or modified this list. This just includes what I feel will be the placements right now, there are certain girls that will probably shuffle. I’m not sure I’ll add any new girls or take out one of the existing girls, I really think this will be the 16 girls. Now this year was difficult for me because I already had this vision of who should be out MUPR in the following years. I knew Madison and Heylimar cannot compete together so they have to audition in different years. I knew Stephanie Soto was going to wait until she was free from college so not this year. And I know that there’s plenty of girls who need a couple of years to mature and get better. So this was my projected plan for the next 5 years:

But then Tanya and Madison decided to give it one last try at pageantry on the same year, breaking my heart haha. Because they could both be amazing at Miss Universe, but they will participate at the same time. Anyway, we got to work with what we got so here is how I see the final night as of today and give you my final thoughts after Sunday.

Disclaimer: This is my personal ranking and my personal comments, while I am open to discussions I will not waste time on personal attacks. Also, this is before the last episode of “Camino a la Corona” so I won’t mention the participation of every girl in it. Thanks.

BUBBLING UP: ARECIBO & CANOVANAS

16TH PLACE: SAN SEBASTIAN (ESTEFANIA SOTO TORRES)
LANGUAGES: SPANISH, ENGLISH AND AN ADDITIONAL LANGUAGE (TRILINGUAL)
AGE & HEIGHT: 26 | 5’10 ½”

So this is the resume Miss, how I like to call these types of queen, and I am waiting to see if she can perform as well as she can talk. She speaks three languages, studied cultural mediation, studied, worked and lived in Belgium , worked for the French Embassy in DC, is an advocate for cultural diversity and multiculturalism. She also likes photography and the culinary arts, the whole nine yards of resume haha. She is very tall and besides her nose she is actually a very pretty girl, but while Camuy’s shoots upwards San Sebastian’s droops down. To me it doesn’t go with the proportions of her face, not exactly sure what the problem is… I just feel it doesn’t go with her face at all. She did very well in her TV episode and what will be a defining factor for me will be the preliminary because I have yet to see a lot of her catwalk. Like I want to be wowed. Many believe that since Miss USA looks at resumes and backstories first then everyone else should (trust me I’ve heard this too many times) so many people say this girl should be the winner. And I don’t know how else to tell people resumes don’t win Miss Universe and most importantly that Miss USA chooses a Miss USA and not a Miss Universe. So to me while she has an impressive background I highly doubt this girl would give us our sixth Mikimoto crown.

15TH PLACE: AGUADA (NAOMI LOPEZ HIDALGO)
LANGUAGES: SPANISH *
AGE & HEIGHT: 20 | 5’6”

I have to say Aguada is quite an interesting girl that should come back in a couple years because I think she has potential to represent internationally. Not sure which pageant yet, but I think she needs a couple years to flourish. She can finish her studies and further expand her social work. I also think she needs to get a little more comfortable in interviews etc. so I look at her and feel that although she will place she needs a couple years. She does look comfortable in the stage which is very good and I think she will have a good preliminary competition. I agree with El Tio de Reinas when he says she could be the winner of the fan vote (which is the #16 spot) although I think that given Madison has a HUGE very vocal following she could also be a choice.

14TH PLACE: SALINAS (VIRNALIS DIANE SANTIAGO SANABRIA)
LANGUAGES: SPANISH AND ENGLISH (BILINGUAL)
AGE & HEIGHT: 23 | 5’8 ½”

Now Virnalis to me was quite a revelation in the episode of “De Quien es la Corona?” where she did amazingly and quite honestly got into everyone’s radar. I actually find her to be a beautiful woman who’s great in front of a camera and honestly I have a feeling she will be really good in that preliminary competition. I can just feel it. She is great when she is in a conversation and she commands the time in which she is speaking, that is very important. And her background is actually pretty strong, she does sport and also is a heavily educated woman on her way to a doctorate’s degree. I’m hoping in that preliminary she brings it and makes it into her lists, she could even go higher with the right performance. Because I am 100% this girl will ace that personal interview, no doubt about it

13TH PLACE: TOA ALTA (IVANA CAROLINA IRIZARRY FRITANNY)
AGE & HEIGHT: 25 | 5’10”

Look if I can say something about Ivana is that this girl is resilient because if I had become a meme last time I competed, I wouldn’t try again. But she dusted herself off and tried again which I have to commend, she tried last year too but didn’t make the official contestants. So, personally I don’t love her face, I actually think her body is her strongest suit given that she is one of the tallest girls and her body is honestly beautiful. She has legs for days and can walk very nicely, I’m hoping her preliminary will be a breeze. She can communicate well the problem I see for her is that at the moment of truth she has a lot of problems coming up with an answer. She stumbles a bit too easily, I feel like now everytime I see her with a microphone I’m going to fear for her answer. I’d hate to see another “meme moment”, because this girl is a good performer on stage. So we shall see what happens with Toa Alta between tomorrow and the pageant night.

12TH PLACE: AGUADILLA (SHALEYKA CHRISTINE VELEZ AVILES)
AGE & HEIGHT: 25 | 5’8 ½”

I’m kinda excited about this girl because she literally took me by surprise in 2012 when she participated against Bodine. I saw that pageant in person and I will be the first to tell you she left everyone mute when she came out with that vibrant emerald green dress. Not that many people had her near the Top 6, yet she did the damn thing and performed and achieved the 1st Runner Up place. Now she came back, in my opinion looking a lot better, and I cannot wait to see what she will do in that preliminary. I’m not going to count her out yet because last time she didn’t look this good physically and even if I don’t like her much she went far. Last time, I didn’t like her either and look haha. So I am really curious to see what she will bring to the stage. She wants to be a lawyer and that is always very good, right now she is a student of Business Administration student at the Interamerican University.

11TH PLACE: LARES (AUDA PAOLA LOPEZ VELEZ)
LANGUAGES: SPANISH *
AGE & HEIGHT: 20 | 5’8 ½”

Auda is a very interesting candidate because this is another one whose teeth stops her from being the best face of the pageant. Her face is STUNNING and after her chocolate brown hair makeover happen, it brought her beauty to a whole new level. She’s around the same height of Kiara and a body that I actually haven’t seen much of so I will talk about that after the preliminary. But to me her beauty is actually SO impactful I cannot wait to see her in that evening gown prelim. She is a Chemistry student who exercises and is passionate about sports, she also has a pretty decent speaking skills. I think she could actually be an international queen in a couple years, I think we could further polish her social work and her communication skills. I cannot wait to see her in the preliminary because honestly if there’s a performance with that face, she will be someone to watch out for in a couple years. I do think she needs a bit more social media presence, she barely has posts on instagram.

10TH PLACE: PENUELAS (MELANIE RIVERA RUIZ)
LANGUAGES: SPANISH AND ENGLISH (BILINGUAL)*
AGE & HEIGHT: 26 | 5’7”

Well… Melanie Rivera is back yet again to compete for the Miss Universe Puerto Rico crown, this would make it her 3rd attempt. She also participated in Miss World Puerto Rico last year, the same edition where Dayanara (MWPR 2018) and Yarelis Salgado (MIPR 2018) participated. Honestly, it’s no secret she is a beautiful girl although personally I am not in love with her smile; her eyes being her strong suit. She is one of the most complete educationally and professionally, she has great social work as one should given her stint in MWPR. You know, she is a solid candidate… but personally she just doesn’t excite me as a candidate honestly. I don’t know if its because I’ve seen her participate so much or because honestly I don’t know why I can’t connect with her. On paper she is an EXCELLENT candidate, but I think this is the best prove that sometimes is not only about the paper… there’s just something missing. I think the preliminary is gonna be so important for her in terms of her getting a higher placement in my list and many. I know she and many people have made the allegory that women like Pia participated 3 times when she was crowned Miss Philippines and eventually Miss Universe. But the difference between these two cases is that Pia has this specific angel that just shines through. I haven’t found a MUP (close but not quite) that has the same angel yet, and Melanie much less. She lacks something I can’t put my finger on it.

9TH PLACE: MOROVIS (HAZEL ORTIZ MENDEZ)
LANGUAGES:: SPANISH AND ENGLISH (BILINGUAL)
AGE & HEIGHT: 22 | 5’7”

Now this is the girl who I think will take a Top 6/3 space and will make me eat my words, I can already feel it. Do not get me wrong, even if this not someone who The Duchess would crown or place in the top 6 but she also has to accept this girl can bring it on an interview. And when she smiles she has such a nice smile it makes you look at her, period, you have NO CHOICE. Although I do think she talked a bit too much during her episode “De Quien es La Corona” honestly she NAILED the episode. She will be in that Top 16 and will probably even that Top 6, although I fear her question will be too good… and I honestly don’t want her to win this edition haha. It’s nothing personal just not my cup of tea. But for the positives, she is a cute girl with good communication who seems to be very intelligent. So we shall see what happens.

8TH PLACE: VILLALBA (VIVIANIE DIAZ ARROYO)
LANGUAGES: SPANISH, ASL AND ENGLISH (TRILINGUAL)
AGE & HEIGHT: 26 | 5'7"

Vivianie has honestly gone down on my list since the start of the pre-pageant activities, personally I had my expectations to high for her. But I don’t know, I just think she looks better on photoshoots than she does on candids most of the time and in those she sometimes looks like Vanessa Hudgens-ish. A better version though. Besides that I do think she is a STRONG candidate, she walks very nicely as well and has a very good backstory. She works with several organizations helping with homeless people, older people ect. While also working towards more inclusion for the deaf community in Puerto Rico, something I personally think is very important. She has some teenage pageant experience, and a little adult pageants; so I think she will have a very good preliminary competition. Vivianie is the other girl who I am intrigued to see what she will bring out on that preliminary, I think her prelim will be DEFINITE for my final list. I still have a little hope that she can crack that Top 6, and this year I want a bloodbath in that Top 6. Although I always say that and end up mad because I end up destroyed, just like Miss Universe 2018, because I get the bloodbath I wanted.

7TH PLACE: LOIZA (DORAYMA MERCADO)
LANGUAGES: SPANISH, ENGLISH AND FRENCH (TRILINGUAL)
AGE & HEIGHT: 26 | 5’7 ½”

Now this is another great candidate that could easily get into that top 6 if she performs accordingly, she has a stunning face and a very good aura. She has a very good platform, advocating not only against domestic abuse but also advocating for representation of Afro-Boricuas. She is the other lady who could not only win the first crown for her municipality but also be the first noticeably afro-descendant Miss Universe Puerto Rico. This year I see this as a very possible outcome given these two very powerful candidates, with very good backstories and communication skills. The only reason I haven’t put Loiza in that Top 5 is because I don’t think I’ve seen her perform before, catwalk wise, but she gives me the vibe that she will take the spot of a bigger favorite. Physically, the only thing I would edit about her is the length of her hair because her face looks so much better with longer curls. I’ll admit her longer hair makes me jealous as hell, I love how it frames her face and gives me Cynthia Bailey vibes. I CANNOT wait for this girl to get on stage.

5TH RUNNER-UP: CAMUY (FABIOLA K. VALENTIN GONZALEZ)
LANGUAGES: SPANISH AND ENGLISH (BILINGUAL) *
AGE & HEIGHT: 19 | 5’11”

This young girl is a potential Miss Universe placer in training, a couple of years and this girl will be an even bigger threat than she is right now. This girl is pure light and fire, elegance and I can see her in a Miss Universe EVENTUALLY. Now it’s not that I don’t want her to represent our country, I think she could do very well in a Miss Universe. She has a beautiful height and very nice face and she also has a very good backstory and hopefully (waiting to see that prelim) so the only thing I think she needs is a couple years. Yes, I know I am biased towards younger women in pageants but its not that I don’t like them. I was her age not long, but I have also noticed Miss Universe is leaning towards older ladies lately. Specially last year. I think a couple of years would do great for her, get her bachelor or close to finishing it as well as even further strengthen her advocacy. I don’t think her face will really change much with age so that’s good, I really just think a couple years won’t hurt her at all. Same thing I said with Laihany and Rebecca years ago when they were younger, and they turned out great. I cannot wait to see this girl in the preliminary competition and given I’ll be there in person it would give me an opportunity to see her in person. She is the one girl along with Vivianie who I need to see in person, I need to see how they those faces compare in person. What I like about this girl is that she is confident yet doesn’t come off as vain or snooty, And her communication skills are so good, she speaks with a lot of fluidity and with concise thoughts, I’m telling she could be unstoppable. I cannot speak much on her catwalk until that preliminary because that’s when you can truly see WHERE girls can take that catwalk. I have to say the one girl who has me intrigued in this preliminary, actually intrigued is this young lady. And that says something.

4TH RUNNER-UP: DORADO (REBECA VALENTIN GARCIA)
LANGUAGES: SPANISH AND ENGLISH (BILINGUAL) *
AGE & HEIGHT: 24 | 5’7”

Now this is another girl I am so conflicted by because I remember being there since she was appeared in the radar as a teen. We have all been waiting for YEARS for this girl to participate for obvious reasons, given this woman has some FACE. She participated in Miss World Puerto Rico 2014 and lost to Genesis Davila finishing 2nd Runner Up and eventually getting the band of “Miss Gwand Puerto Rico” 2014 (back then MWPR had Grand and Earth too). She participated in Miss Gwand that year and got into the Top 15 yet couldn’t advance further, which was surprising to many. Her body has gotten so much better too which I’m glad about and at 24 she has already walked for every puerto rican designer you can think of and in any magazine here. She is a successful model and an achieved student of marketing who does community work too so I’m glad she has actually just grown. Physically, emotionally, intellectually which is important and sometimes many teen queens grow up and kinda go downhill. But this one just got better. She can walk the walk, can talk the talk pretty well and is just very prepared and comfortable on the stage and on camera. But honestly the only thing that I do not like about this girl is her smile, to a point that I wish she would smile the least possible. Which is not a good thing because in this pageant you need that smile and warmth people get drawn too. Look at the current Top 5 at Miss Universe, they stole hearts and cheers everytime they smiled. I expect a fantastic performance from Rebecca because this is one of the MOST anticipated candidates year after year. ALTHOUGH to me she was the best in the “Total Look” and waiting on the preliminaries I wouldn’t be surprised if he went all the way to the Top 3.

3RD RUNNER-UP: BAYAMON (LAIHANY PONTON ORTIZ)
LANGUAGES: SPANISH, FRENCH AND ENGLISH (TRILINGUAL)
AGE & HEIGHT: 21 | 5’9 ½”

Now, I honestly have conflicting feelings about Laihany and it’s precisely because of her beautiful face. Is it beautiful? Of course. But to me her bone structure is so specific that one thing can throw off her entire styling. I feel styling is gonna be extremely important to her because is such specific bone structure that it won’t give much wiggle room to try different things. I think her Fadil photoshoot styling is the one for her to succeed in Miss Universe, heavy makeup on her is not wise. I think she looks beautiful with curls if they are made into intricate soft buns so they can frame her face nicely. She is finally a little older, she participated in the 2016 pageant at 17 where she placed 3rd Runner Up so I’m glad she gave herself time to grow up and participate again. She did very well in that pageant and I knew she get far but I knew she still needed a couple more years to truly come back ready. I actually rewatched the 2016 pageant to get a refresher on Laihany’s participation… it was a horrible idea because then I remembered all the reasons I hated that year haha BUT still. Laihany did very well, she was my first runner up until the final question came around where she kinda choked a bit. I honestly think she has gotten much better and now that her face stopped growing and maturing (it didn’t changed much which is good) she’s pretty much ready. Honestly speaking I don’t think she will get better than this and looking at her resume again, she is ready. She is studying diet and nutrition and was an athlete growing up, even achieving high honors in school. She was to incorporate her nutrition studies into the modeling world which could be VERY interesting and smart for a backstory. As Miss Universe, she would love to educate children and parents to battle the rising numbers of childhood obesity. She also participates in donating and helping to different charities and groups as an anonymous donor. She is very into social work and charity thanks to her upbringing and works mainly with the “Hogar del Buen Pastor” which works to battle the world epidemic of Homelessness. And she is actually the first girl that we are reviewing who is trilingual for she also is fluent in French, which may not be that interesting to you but it is to me. So let me have this. I still don’t see her winning a Mikimoto but I have to say that the only way I see her anywhere lower than Top 5 in MUPR is if she legit fell on her face every time she tried to walk. Which I highly doubt this will be the case. I do have to say she has lately lost a bit of her steam and I hope she brings it out on the prelims cause if not she could lose her Top 5 spot.

2ND RUNNER-UP: CAYEY (VERONICA MONTANO)
AGE & HEIGHT: 25 | 5’9 ½”

Now for some reason I can’t really get out of my head that Cayey will be part of that Top 3, it’s a very deep gut feeling. For those of you who do not Veronica, she is a pretty successful model who moved to NYC at 18 to pursue said career. She has also studied both Nutrition at Hunter’s College and Acting in the Lee Strasberg Theatre & Film Institute, both very good institutions. She is an aspiring actress and would like to work in both television and films, but for now her goal is to become Miss Universe Puerto Rico and represent us. And it’s not the only time she has represent us, she was a competitive gymnast at 12. She also toured as a folkloric dancer with the Cepeda Brothers for six years. She has very good communication skills and has a youtube channel where you can hear her speak in both languages. You can also see in the commercial she has participated in that she is very telegenic candidate too.

Personally I like her a lot, I think she is a very interesting candidate with experience in communication which is something that will help her in an international stage. Veronica fits more the mold of the usual Miss Puerto Rico, you know the idea foreigners sometimes describe as Puerto Ricans. You know, the dark hair and eyes and slightly sunkissed skin; her face is honestly beautiful and I love that she sports both her hair straight and curly. And she looks really good in most hairstyles which tells me in terms of styling more things can be tried. I loved that about Kiara and I loved that about the two ladies above, as a fashion student I like queens that bring up an array of looks to the activities of Miss Universe. I specially love her smile, it’s very nice and doesn’t look artificial which is a turn off for me (the veneers look) and hope I keep seeing her doing just that. Her body is very nicely proportioned, she has legs for days which is precisely why she is one of the few girls I like with short short dresses. She studied acting which to me makes me feel comfortable about her communication skills, and in her profile she also sounds eloquent. So I am not worried for her interview nor questions. I wanna see more on her catwalk which is why I’m very interested in the Preliminary Competition, and I wanna see what kind of styling she goes for. Hope she is smart about it and picks the one who makes her feel like a future Miss Universe top 5er (atleast). I think Veronica could provide us with a high placement in the next Miss Universe pageant, I’m very sure Denise is looking for a repeat. The only thing I am noticing in her pictures is that sometimes her face looks almost tired, so that has me a bit nervous. I still feel in my heart that Veronica could take a spot or a silent killer (see below) so I cannot wait for that preliminary competition.

1ST RUNNER-UP: CAROLINA (TANYA MARIE ROMERO ALAMO)
AGE & HEIGHT: 26 | 5’10”

I LOVE Tanya since 2017 and you all know I was ready to put that crown on her back then, and was heartbroken during MUPR 2017. To me she is the other girl who I see prepared enough to represent us in an international level. She has a very warm and approachable personality, that was shown last time and in subsequent interviews. That to me is important in a queen, that was one of the main reasons people LOVED Kiara and H’hen. That’s one of the main things I look for in a queen and one of the reasons I like queens like Madison, H’hen, Dayanara ect. What I really love about Tanya is her look, she has a beautiful face paired up with a great smile that gained her many supporters last time. She has beautiful lips and stunning hair, I personally just find her very beautiful. I think she look great in both relaxed (straighter hair) and full curls, you can do an array of looks with either texture. She has proven that with multiple hairstyles, that could prove very beneficial for international pageant. She can also prove that there can be variety with curly hair, something many people in society don’t think it’s possible. Like Madison I can think of plenty of looks for both during the pre-pageant weeks of Miss Universe, I can see her on an international stage. On stage she is energetic and has a pretty good catwalk, under the tutelage of the MUPR I think she could have a pretty good run. Personally to me she is one of the most versatile candidates in terms of looks. She has a good height too which again adds variety considering Kiara was shorter. And I think that’s highly important, I don’t want a queen who’s always gonna look the same. I also think she could be a very popular character in the pageant community. She is an educated woman having an MA in Conflict Mediation, one of her dreams is being part of the ONU to solve conflicts and serve as a fighter for human rights. One of the causes she has felt connected with is patients with Alzheimer’s Disease, and enjoys speaking with the elderly in an attempt to learn their perspective in life. Tanya is also a business owner, starting an accessory and headwrap line using fabrics of African aesthetic. The initiative came during the 2017 Hurricane emergency as a way of making her hair routine easier and would love to expand it even further.

Last time I think she was very close to taking that crown away from Danna, although to be fair I didn’t think the crown was Danna’s haha. To me her choice of gown for the final night and styling was not the best, she should have kept her look from the prelims. Also her body was a little too athletic for my taste back then, I saw it a bit too tough so I would also like to see the state of her body now. I have only seen a couple photos and it seems like she looks curvier and a little less buffed, but I would like to see more.

IF she were to be crowned she would not only be the first crown for Carolina, she would also become the first noticeably afro-descendant Miss Universe Puerto Rico. Although she says she represents all puerto ricans, she does accepts and celebrates that women like Genesis Davila, Aideliz Hidalgo, Heilymar Rosario, many others and herself have paved the way for more black girls to participate. I think it’s high time that we have a beautiful black beauty in Miss Universe, I even think we should have had her in 2016. But I also believe Tanya could win not because of her skin but her performance, before anyone says anything to try and be smart. But yes, I will not lie and say I wouldn’t love to see some representation of the dark-skinned boricuas (which are plenty) on a Miss Universe stage. It wasn’t too long ago when we started sending “Triguenas” or noticeably mixed candidates, 2004 broke the pattern so I am hoping we can keep breaking patterns and also bring visibility to the afro-boricua population.

MISS UNIVERSE PR 2019: TOA BAJA (MADISON SARA ANDERSON BERRIOS)
AGE & HEIGHT: 23 | 5’10 ½”

Madison as of right now is the most complete to make a good impression in those judges at the Miss Universe 2019. She has previous pageant experience and has placed in the Top 5 in each pageant she has participated. In Miss Florida Teen USA 2014 she placed 4th Runner up as well as in Top Model of the World 2015 (representing Puerto Rico). She placed 3rd Runner Up in Miss Gwand International 2016 (also representing Puerto Rico) and she just tried her luck at the Miss Florida USA were she ended up 1st Runner Up. Sure that doesn’t mean as much to that many people but personally to me it tells me there’s obviously something the judges are liking about her. I think she has a beautiful face, she can take great candids as well as professional portraits. She has really good communication skills, she proved that in Miss Gwand International where to me she had the best answer. Sue me. I think she has a good height and a look that is different than that of Kiara so it would bring good variety. She has great performance skills and under the guidance of the MUPR team, I think she can give us a good result.

I’ve already said it is not a problem for me that she was born and raised in Florida or that her spanish isn’t perfect. I have said plenty of times that to me national identity is far more than the place you are born or the language you speak. She has represented Puerto Rico more than once, she has often identified herself publicly as puerto rican and I do believe she has been raised to appreciate our culture. And trust me you HAVE to really want to represent Puerto Rico to go through the Puerto Rican pageant circuit. People are very specific on what they want, their standards are really high and they will examined the hell out of you the whole year once you are crowned. I think latinos in general are that way with pageantry, so a blond half puerto rican girl from Florida knows that her participation may not be accepted by some. Same happened when Bodine and Catalina won, I even remember with Mariana some people (a small ignorant faction) thinking she didn’t represent the “Puertorrican Prototype”. There’s no prototype, we come in all colors and looks which is why I don’t agree with people who say that. I’m aware this is not a problem that every rican has and I am also aware issue like this arises in many countries. I don’t need for Madison to speak spanish to be perfect, if this year proved something is that we can’t trust translators.

She has a solid advocacy to raised awareness and help survivors of domestic violence with her initiative “Metamorfosis”, even working in St. Kitts and Nevis for a while with that. With violence against women rampant around the world I think it’s a very current advocacy. It brings light to issues that are relevant and important today. I also like what her representation could mean to the children of the Diaspora, I can also get behind the message she could send. She says she wants to represent and show that Puerto Rico is more than language, that it is about loving PR. While I know there will be some people who can’t or won’t get behind that, personally I could. The reigning Miss Universe I think showcasted that in her platform these past few years, she is Australian sure but she is also Pinoy. She feels pinoy and feel that is the country she wanted to represent in the Top 2 pageants. And this kinds of candidacies to me will keep happening more and more with time, national identity has evolved so much. But anyways, those are my two cents. She is a stunning girl who looks great in many stylings and has improved her body but I have to say that something that left me a little shook was her episode of “De Quien es la Corona” because she chose such an angel when speaking. Sure she had some small problems translating from English to Spanish but the way she talks kinda makes up for it. You get drawn to her, her tone of voice and expressions make you want to continue the conversation. That to me is extremely important in the international pageant, Kiara’s angel was her strongest point and look how far it took her.

*ladies with an asterisk (*) have it because I haven't been able to officially confirm if they are Monoligual, Bilingual ect.

Last edited by The Duchess on Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Duchess
PAGEANT EXPERTS are MASTERS & PROFESSIONAL ANALYSTS of pageantry.

Date of Birth: 01 Sep 1995
Sexual Orientation: Straight
Profession: Costume Design
Hobbies/Interests: Arts, Music, Literature

Re: | THE DUCHESS | MISS UNIVERSE PR '19 | PRE-PRELIM LIST

Postby nycla2 » Thu Jun 06, 2019 4:09 am

I love Madison did she grow up in the u.s.? if she wins MUPR then she will be a frontrunner. i also love bayamon. how does that work? 1st runner up goes to international? Buena suerte to them :-* great review babe
nycla2
ENTERTAINERS are FUNNY people.

Real Life Name/Nick: booyah
Date of Birth: 21 Dec 1991
Sexual Orientation: -----------
Profession: entrepreneur
Western Zodiac Sign: Scorpio
Chinese Zodiac: Dog
Hobbies/Interests: sports, music, movies and entertainment

Postby The Duchess » Thu Jun 06, 2019 4:17 am

nycla2 wrote:I love Madison did she grow up in the u.s.? if she wins MUPR then she will be a frontrunner. i also love bayamon. how does that work? 1st runner up goes to international? Buena suerte to them :-* great review babe

No, Denise only has the Miss Universe franchise.

International, Grand, Supra, Intercontinental and Top Model are with the Nuestra Belleza Puerto Rico Org.

and yes Madison is from Florida, of an American father and Puerto Rican mother, but raised with both cultures to my understanding

with her mother and grandma
The Duchess

Postby nycla2 » Thu Jun 06, 2019 4:19 am

The Duchess wrote:
nycla2 wrote:I love Madison did she grow up in the u.s.? if she wins MUPR then she will be a frontrunner. i also love bayamon. how does that work? 1st runner up goes to international? Buena suerte to them :-* great review babe

International, Grand, Supra, Intercontinental and Top Model are with the Nuestra Belleza Puerto Rico Org.

and yes Madison is from Florida, of an American father and Puerto Rican mother, but raised with both cultures to my understanding

omg if she wins I will support her despite some pr vs philippines fan bickering here.shes a babe. im sure denise will choose her. i think she will be the best latina and not colombia and brazil what do u think
nycla2

Real Life Name/Nick: booyah
Date of Birth: 21 Dec 1991
Profession: entrepreneur
Western Zodiac Sign: Scorpio
Chinese Zodiac: Dog
Hobbies/Interests: sports, music, movies and entertainment

Postby The Alchemist » Thu Jun 06, 2019 6:38 am

Interesting Duchess and from what I gather she hardly speaks Spanish and a US Citizen.
Can you ask Nena again about whitewashing? Me interesa recordamos.

The Duchess wrote:

The Alchemist
PAGEANT APPRENTICES are novice experts & connoisseurs.

Real Life Name/Nick: Mar
Date of Birth: 15 Jul 1984
Sexual Orientation: Asexual
Profession: Traveler
Western Zodiac Sign: Libra
Chinese Zodiac: Monkey
Hobbies/Interests: Traveling

Postby The Alchemist » Thu Jun 06, 2019 6:51 am

Me encantaria ver Viviane y Tanya en Miss Universe
The Alchemist

Real Life Name/Nick: Mar
Date of Birth: 15 Jul 1984
Sexual Orientation: Asexual
Profession: Traveler
Western Zodiac Sign: Libra
Chinese Zodiac: Monkey
Hobbies/Interests: Traveling

Postby The Duchess » Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:43 am

The Alchemist wrote:Interesting Duchess and from what I gather she hardly speaks Spanish and a US Citizen.

The Duchess wrote:

She actually understands spanish extremely well and every day she gets even better at speaking it. But you know, I really wanna thank you for bringing the kind of negativity that will obviously come in response to you comment. So ya know, thanks for that. I cannot wait for all the harpies to use my thread as the next battlefield. Goodnight
The Duchess

Postby sOUTH BEaCH » Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:08 am

Here reminds Alicia Machado :@) Big bubbies
The Duchess wrote:
sOUTH BEaCH
ELITES are highly regarded as FINEST posters of Missosology.
ELITES are highly regarded as FINEST posters of Missosology.

Date of Birth: 19 Dec 1999
Profession: Fly auxiliar
Western Zodiac Sign: Sagittarius
Chinese Zodiac: Rabbit
Hobbies/Interests: Travels, surfing, photography, beauty pageants

Postby TheGenuineBeauty » Thu Jun 06, 2019 6:47 pm

We have almost the same Top 16, but I left Aguadilla out and put Arecibo in. The episodes of DQELC made it sooo hard for me to even pick a Top 16, with girls like Aguadilla, Canovanas, Hatillo, and Gurabo almost making it to my list. Now if it was a Top 20, I would be set lol. I just need to see the prelims before I make my final predictions and participate in the prediction games for MUPR.

Also I just found out I don't have WAPA TV, so I won't be able to see the prelims or the final night. =O/ =O/ =O/

Anyways what an amazing read. Thank you so much for sharing :-* :-* :-*
PUERTO RICO REBORN

2018: Kiara Ortega (Top 5)
2019: Madison Anderson (1st RU)
2020: Estefania Soto (Top 10)
2021: Michelle Colon (Top 10)
2022: Ashley Cariño (TBA)
TheGenuineBeauty
NEWBIES are NEW members.
NEWBIES are NEW members.

Date of Birth: 24 Jul 1996
Profession: Student
Western Zodiac Sign: Leo
Chinese Zodiac: Rat
Hobbies/Interests: Reading
Message: Promote what you love instead of attacking what you hate.

Postby IanC062 » Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:40 pm

Great read, babe! :hx

I'm so conflicted though, as I have to say, I just don't get the hype with Madison (Don't hate me!)

Can't wait for prelims, that might decide the winner.
IanC062
AMBASSADORS represent their country.
AMBASSADORS represent their country.

Real Life Name/Nick: Ian
Date of Birth: 07 Dec 1991
Profession: Recruitment Consultant
Western Zodiac Sign: Sagittarius
Chinese Zodiac: Goat
Hobbies/Interests: Films, music, reading, video games, running

Postby hrexen » Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:49 am

IanC062 wrote:
Great read, babe! :hx

I'm so conflicted though, as I have to say, I just don't get the hype with Madison (Don't hate me!)

Can't wait for prelims, that might decide the winner.

I didn't get the hype either, UNTIL I WATCHED THE PRELIMINIARIES! She is a goddess, Miss Universe ready to slay!
Facewise- Miss Dorado! but Toa Baja is the complete package!
hrexen
PIONEERS are the most experienced members of Missosology.

Date of Birth: 21 Jan 1986
Sexual Orientation: Bisexual
Hobbies/Interests: Run and read

Postby hrexen » Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:50 am

The Alchemist wrote:Interesting Duchess and from what I gather she hardly speaks Spanish and a US Citizen.

The Duchess wrote:

Please, lets keep this clean guys. Last year was just ridiculous, and to think that the candidates do not read this is delusional, of Course they must read this insane stuff posted here. :-* :=p :=p :=p
hrexen

Date of Birth: 21 Jan 1986
Sexual Orientation: Bisexual
Hobbies/Interests: Run and read

Return to Miss Universe