65th Miss Universe Review: GOOD, BAD, UGLY, & The BEAUTIFUL

All TOP QUALITY threads of Missosology

65th Miss Universe Review: GOOD, BAD, UGLY, & The BEAUTIFUL

Postby UNO - God of Beauty » Tue Jan 31, 2017 6:02 am

(Signed by Miss Universe 1000 B.C)

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

The 65th Miss Universe has finally come to an end but the journey of my dear Iris Mittenaere has just began. She is about to embark a wonderful and extraordinary year wherein she can be able to inspire and touch the lives of many. Believe me, through the whole course of the final telecast, my heart was constantly pounding. The whole time, I was cheering for Philippines, Thailand, Colombia and France. Come top 3, I just can't breathe anymore. At 4am, the 16th Arrondisement probably heard the loudest scream ---- my scream! Gosh, it is as if I won. Miss FRANCE, has finally won again after 63 long years. But before I share you more about the newly crowned Miss Universe, let me share my views regarding the recently concluded Miss Universe.

PHILIPPINES as a HOST COUNTRY

Third time's indeed a charm. Well, Philippines' success as a host is not measured if their representative managed to win or not. The Philippines has again showed their utmost best and hospitality, successfully hosted different ancillary events, and lastly, has given the candidates beautiful memories for them to remember by. Upon the girls arrival, we have witnessed different activities that showcased the diverse beauty of the country. I will commend the girls because regardless of their busy and exhausting routine everyday, they all managed to deliver and participate with their staminas and great amount of will. Kudos to Batch 2016.

I would like to commend the many people behind the ancillary events headed by my hardworking friend, Jonas Gaffud, for a superb job. He is not even sleeping at times. Big thanks to the people at the Tourism Department, headed by Secretary Wanda Corazon Teo, and of course, to Governor Luis Chavit Singson, for fighting his hardest and eagerness in the staging of this pageant. Hats off.

But, here's a jaw dropping news, are you ready for the 66th Miss Universe happening again in the Philippines this November? Well, people will raise their eyebrows on this news of mine for sure. There had been talks and negotiations, yes.

THE STAGE and PRESENTATION

Frankly, I can say that the LED projectors just like last year added a great amount of impact at the final telecast. The stage is "pas mal", though I wish it could be better. We saw that triangle again in the middle just like last year, and even at this year's Miss World. Is triangle a thing now? Or some people would again relate it to Illuminati. Well, who cares?

Going back, maybe the stage design wasn't as massive like the other editions because of the way they will choreograph the presentation. I mean, I am not a fan of these batch by batch thingy. Am I gonna start my list of the "BADS"? For me, the girls were given a short time to do their walk, and the element of surprise was gone. Instead of concentrating to just one candidate, audience eyes will be distracted with the other two. Well, maybe they want to have a shorter time of exposures for the girls. But as for me, I still love the 2003 presentation in Panama. The evening gown presentation of Miss Serbia & Montenegro walking and gliding on that long runway is still playing inside my head, along with the fierce catwalk prowess of Miss Japan with her epic evening gown. Sigh.

Another thing I noticed, the whole presentation do not have any Filipino flavor. The last time Miss Universe was hosted outside US was in 2013. And you can feel the Russian vibe from the production, and stage design. Even in recent years, you could feel the influence of Sao Paulo (2011), the beautiful ruins from the old city in Vietnam (2008), and of course, the lavish and elaborate stage design and music of Thailand (2005). Way back in 1974 and 1994, you could feel the cultural palate and nuances of the Philippines. This year, it seems a copycat of 2015, - very westernized. Overall, as I've mentioned above, it is "pas mal". I just hope a distinct Filipino touch was added.

THE HOST

Steve Harvey capitalized more on the mistake he had last year. Well, if that was really a mistake? This year, he was given the opportunity to bridge the gap to both the Philippines and to Colombia. Have you noticed that in two occasions, Colombia and Philippines were called back to back? I love the fact that Harvey asked Andrea Tovar about how her countrymen feel about him. And I will give it to Andrea by being honest as she answered that a lot of her people actually hate him. Hahaha! No sugarcoating, she was just being straight-forward. But what I love about Andrea is she turned it positively by saying us humans can do mistakes but what's important is we learn from it, and we ask & give forgiveness.

I love the moment when after Steve's introduction to Pia in the opening, Pia acknowleged Steve for making her the most famous Miss Universe winner. And Steve reciprocated her by thanking her as he became the most memorable Miss Universe host. There is this chemistry in them that is both entertaining and sensible.

Then comes the announcement of the winner. Pia interrupted Steve to give him his glasses. It might be staged, but it gives us a good laugh especially in a very tense moment wherein I can't even describe the nervousness I was feeling that moment as Haiti might win over my Miss France.

The GOOD(S)

Well, isn't it a good news to end the speculation about Andrea being pregnant, and asked the MUO not to disqualify her but instead just remove her at the top 13 if ever she'll make it? Isn't it also a good news, that while people counted her out after the prelims by saying she was a disappointment, still she managed to penetrate up to the final 3? I commend her stage presence, her confidence and I truly commend her answer at the top 6. Placing at the top 3 for Colombia for three consecutive times, is extraordinary.

Another good thing I like about this year's edition is the fact tha IMG wants to send their message across, that they are embracing women of any shape or form, color, or background.

Ashley Graham as a host is a clear representation of this. The inclusion of a plus size candidate from Canada continues it's theme. In fact, while other people would bully her body during the swimsuit competition, the judges honor her confidence and stage presence. It is a joy to watch. Canada has the momentum, until she wore that almost bridal-ish white gown.

For a country like Haiti, it is a GOOD feelins to see an unhyped nor a not considered frontrunner making it up to the final 3. Well, when she was called at the top 13, it was already a shocker to some. But Raquel's very deserving. Statuesque, poised, and has a good stage presence. In fact, at some angles, she reminds me of Eva Mendes.

It was indeed a crazy moment wherein you are starting to scratch your head as the truth is unfolding right through your very eyes, and realized Kenya, Peru, Panama, and Canada were called and taking the spots that could have been for the other frontrunners. You will then try to recheck your list and asked, "Who among the frontrunners and those who performed well will be ousted?"

Then I saw Australia, Spain, Netherlands, DR, Venezuela, Puerto Rico, Aruba, Curacao, Thailand and Nicaragua still waiting to be called. But the twelfth name that was called was Haiti. Wow! One spot left. Thailand in the end earned the last spot as the People's Choice. Her inclusion as a semi finalist is indeed a GOOD news for her country who had just lost their King last year.

Indonesia, on the other hand, has managed to place as a semi-finalist for the 4th consecutive time. Such a fruitful 2016 for Indonesia indeed. Congratulations.

The BAD(S)

Mariam Habach's exclusion at the top 13 left a bad taste in the mouth especially for us pageant enthusiasts who really admired her performances not just at the prelims but in even in Ilocos, Cebu and Davao. Though, some are speculating that her alleged "bitchy and bad attitude" was the cause of her demise because IMG and MUO are now looking for a girl who exudes good behavior, still, as for me, she should have atleast given a second chance to prove herself that she can be better.

Or perhaps, the MUO is scared of the fact that Mariam will nail every round of the competition, and can easily penetrate the top 3 and might in fact win! If MUO is not ready again for another Venezuelan to win, then I find it unfair. Yes, the organization might want to give other countries to win Miss Universe but I still feel that they should give credits to where credit is due. The two Venezuelans who placed in 2014 and 2015 are no match with Mariam's memorable performance. Next...

Maybe it is just me, but I don't like Steve asking the judges about specific candidates to whom has impressed them. Singling out their favorites spoiled the suspense. Though I am happy to hear France and Philippines on their list, still I then knew Kenya, Haiti and Canada were also favored. It made me think in my head, OMG, is it goodbye Panama and Peru? I admire Leila Lopes as she chose not to give names but instead she is waiting up to the last segment as her list keeps on changing.

The next bad thing I hate was when Brazil, with that banging body, failed to advance to the top 9. Well, shall I blame it with her BAD make up that almost made her look like Tina Turner in a wide LED screen? Ouch. One of the best candidates and frontrunners got ousted.

The Opening with FloRida, hmmmmm, I wish they could have done it better. Well, I feel FloRida was just the last option since perhaps other more deserving performers might be fully booked and busy, while FloRida has nothing on the plate and has a widely free scheduled for Miss Universe. Singing his old tracks in the opening made it looked like out dated. The girls were just walking and quickly introduced.

The UGLY

Watching the live tv telecast in Paris Premiere is indeed a joy as while the show is going on, there are two French doing the voice over. When Iris' interpreter mistakenly utter the word casting, the female VO was furious saying, "What casting? Oh lala! Putain!" Hahaha And even all of us at the room watching got nervous.

I myself was afraid that people might think her opening statement is shallow. People can easily connect the word casting as "actors casting" or "a model's go see casting". Despite that, I am pleased to see Iris poised, composed, she was taking her time answering, and she managed to wrap her answer up with a satisfying closing statements that made her very likeable and honest. Throwback 2006, my fear that moment was for Iris to ended up like Kurara Chibana (1st runner up at MU2006 from Japan), as the interpreter blew her answer.

Full transcript of Iris' answer:

Kenya being called first at the top 13 was a joy, as it indicates that there will be other unhyped girls to place. In fact, when she was asked by Steve at the first time, she won my heart with her beautiful heartwarming answer.

But, it turned ugly when at the second time, she uttered another monologue. I was like, girl, reserve some for the actual Q and A. Then top 6 came, and she ended up running into circles with her answer. And my reaction was "Girl, when it's time to fire up your guns, it seems like you've finished your bullets!" And it was ugly to watch!

Another UGLY moment was with Maxine Medina. Again, Maxine do not need an interpreter. She managed to survived the casual interview Steve gave her upon her inclusion at the top 13. Come the question and answer portion in the top 6, she failed to give a satisfying answer. Girl, this the game charger, and her problem was her capacity to produce a sensible answer. And, I should stop from here. I do not need to add salt to the injury.

The BEAUTIFUL

First, let me start this BEAUTIFUL category with the confidently beautiful Miss Universe 2015, Pia Wurtzbach. She has given so much for the Philippines and her win as Miss Universe cemented the position of this Asian powerhouse in the field of pageantry. Thank you Pia forba BEAUTIFUL reign. ---Crowned in 2015, reigned supreme in 2016, and has relinquished the title in 2017! Epic.

Next on my beautiful list, is a sentimental favorite of mine. Thailand wowed the whole arena during the evening gown competition. Wearing a gown that honors their queen was amazing. In fact, Chalita Suansane won the hearts of the audience because of her dramatic execution. Hats off.

Most of the girls who penetrated at the top 13 shared their personal stories. From Kenya's humble beginnings, USA's impressive resume as a woman serving at the military, and Peru's story of survival after her car accident last October, must say, most of them are truly inspiring and empowering. I salute these girls with all my heart. Massive RESPECT.

Another thing that made me smile at the final telecast was the video wherein these candidates were filmed with their mothers. A touching moment indeed, as it honors the wind behind the wings of these beauties; - such a beautiful segment.

Other beautiful moment was Myanmar winning the Best in National Costume. Aside from having a massive and heavy costume, her performance was both entertaining and superb. Kudos!

Speaking of costumes, in the history of Miss Universe, we saw a number of laborious and massive costumes. But from time to time, we saw some of the most memorable costumes like last year's Tuk-tuk costume from Thailand, Kurara Chibana's Samurai costume in 2006, and this year, I must say, that France finally nailed it in the head. For the first time, Moulin Rouge allowed someone who is not their performer to wear their costume. Iris has won the hearts of a lot of people. Right girl, right costume, right timing, indeed.

The final three, I must say are one of the most deserving line ups in recent years. Andrea Tovar, beautifully nailed the Q and A in the top 6. Haiti has her momentum going on. And France is steadily shining her brightest. Truthfully, it could have been any of the three. And believe me, I am so nervous. In my mind, the Philippines has a reputation of crowning a first time country. Plus, one of the judges, Sushmita Sen, is eyeing for an underdog to win. In my mind, the stars are aligning in favor of Haiti. But, Haiti's didn't really answer the last Q and A. I feel, she pulled the sympathy card, and highlighted more on a tragedy that she went through, rather than sharing about her own personal failures. But, the crowd bought what she was selling, as Haiti managed to pull their heart-strings. On the other hand, Colombia failed to provide a specific personal failure of hers. It could have been Andrea, as she delivering her answer word by word. But, unfortunately, it wasn't enough and satisfying. So I was having a glimpse of hope, wishing for the judges to appreciate that France indeed answer the question despite of her interpreter's wrong translation.

Then, Colombia was called at 2nd runner up. Iris is up against a towering giant, Raquel, who gave an answer that made the crowd applauding for her. My friends Marck Prince and Gio were both sending me messages as they are in the venue watching it live. Truthfully, it was really a tight race to the finish, and when Steve finally announced that Miss Universe is FRANCE, It felt like I also won..... that, the entire Europe and not just France has won. Iris was the only european in the top 13. And in every round of the competition, she managed to pass one step at a time. A day before the finals night, the last reply she sent me was this:

Meaning, "I hope to be able to go to the end. We will see tomorrow."

And what a BEAUTIFUL moment indeed, to be the last woman standing in the end. You made it, ma belle.
As an ordinary man living here in Paris, and to have spoken to Iris from time to time as she's Miss France, was already an honor. This time, she is the new Miss Universe. And I just can't wait to see and congratulate her soon (hopefully).

As I mentioned from my previous thread, Iris was not in the list of most pageant fanatics. People was even having second thoughts about her as she was just playing her cards quietly. She wasn't hyped at all. Despite of her having a subtle and steady approach, the judges and the organization didn't count her out. Iris was never the attention seeker. She was blending just fine with everybody. Was she included in the Ilocos or Davao fashion show? No. Her Filipino Designer's dress was also not as grand as the frontrunners. But, there wasn't any complain at all. Instead, she enjoyed every moment of her time in the Philippines with her fellow candidates. In short, she was basically just there.

But, when is the right time to peak? Iris finally managed to fire up her guns at the preliminary competition. And boy oh boy, her body at the swimsuit competition is to die for! Tres tres chaud!

She also gave one of the best performances in her beautiful yellow gown. Our friend, Tala, shared to our FB group chat, that France has the most beautiful gown that night. In addition, her national costume has already drawn positive remarks. And come National Director's night, France was already a hot item. In fact, Osmel got scared of Iris' presence in the competition, as they all witnessed the blossoming of a worthy winner. If only Kirina Urduja managed to finished her aborted Final Prediction thread, Kirina will be at the same league with Xamurai who bravely predicted Iris as the next Miss Universe. In my case, with my reputation of jinxing my prediction winner year after year, I purposely put Iris at my number 8. I've always believed that 8 is a lucky number. I kept myself collecting screenshots from all of the final prediction lists published here in Missosology, and I would send it to Iris. She was both delightful and happy. She would reply with Smilies with a heart. So yes, before that final day wherein she was crowned Miss Universe, I am pretty sure, she has read your kind words for her. Thank you to all.

Well, counting out Oxana's win in 2002, as she was asked to resign, technically, Europe's last Miss Universe win was in a back to back victories of Angela Visser (then Holland, now Netherlands in 1989) and Mona Grudt (Norway, 1990). Iris hasn't been born that time, as Iris was born in 24 January 1993. After 26 long years, a French belle will soon bring the Miss Universe crown back to Europe. And we just can't wait. Again, to Iris, thank you for making us all proud. You were given this once in a lifetime opportunity because you have a beautiful and humble heart. Félicitations.

VIVE LA FRANCE!!!

"In France we want to have the most globalization that we can. We want to have the biggest exchange of people that we can. Maybe someday that will change, but now we have open borders. Having an open borders allows us to travel more through the world and to find out more about what's out there in the world." - Iris Mittenaere, Miss Universe 2016

Last edited by UNO - God of Beauty on Sun Feb 05, 2017 12:39 am, edited 7 times in total.
Reason: Signing Seal of Excellence

UNO - God of Beauty
PAGEANT EXPERTS are MASTERS & PROFESSIONAL ANALYSTS of pageantry.

Real Life Name/Nick: Uno
Date of Birth: 13 Jun 1984
Profession: Airline Staff
Western Zodiac Sign: Gemini
Hobbies/Interests: surfin, travelin

Re: 65th Miss Universe Review: GOOD, BAD, UGLY, & The BEAUTI

Postby Jake.Horan » Tue Jan 31, 2017 6:54 am

First of all, Congratulations on your girl's victory! I was meant to send you a message but of course it's sooo easy to access Misso right in the heat of the pageant #saidnooneever

I was meant to be writing a review like this too but I'm in such an uncouth place with the joke that was yesterday's production. So I decided to make a joke about it instead. But this is a great review of course!

Anyway, I agree with basically a lot of points you have brought up:
- That Iris' crowning and Andrea landing a Top 3 spot was what saved the night for me. When Brazil got the cut, then Mexico, I WANTED FRANCE TO WIN SO BAD.
- That it was a missed opportunity not having any touch of Filipino culture on their production. Its not every year that they get to travel outside of Vegas or US and the one time they did, they wouldn't even, at the very least, consider using maybe a photo of the Philippine beaches for Swimsuit round. It was so generic.
- That Steve Harvey was funny at first. Then he wasn't.
- That Steve Harvey putting the judges on the spot by asking them particularities of who they thought excelled was done in such bad taste, I felt.
- That I was over Kenya by Top 9. She provided like a minute discourse on reaching for your dreams when it could've been answered straightforwardly.

We are not on the same page with Canada's inclusion. Just to get it out there, like you, I like the fact that they are not too fixated on "thin is beautiful" ideology. I don't have issues with Canada being plus size per se, I have issues with her being plus size and then having that define her as though she has struggled with it since time immemorial, when she was bloody fit a couple of months ago. No Siera, you don't get to be on Top 12 because you got yourself bigger and you claim to have had such a hard life because of it when the other candidates were busting their arses off in the gym to keep fit. Of course there are factors like interviews to be considered, and she probably did well with those. I get that. I knew they wouldn't cut Siera on SS round because it's too un-PC. That's how I see it. One can argue she displayed a lot more confidence than the likes of Brazil. Perhaps she did, but not to me anyway. If she were fat her entire life because she has some thyroid issues that's affecting her metabolism, I'd jump on that bandwagon to cheer her on. But nope. Anyway, that's just my thoughts about the issue. Peace :)>-

Three hour block for a pageant, and they got the ladies to parade in threes? For both SS and EG? I don't get it.

Overall, I like the direction they're heading regarding women empowerment, women with substance, less of glam and more of story. It's the way the org's going about addressing this, from a production standpoint, that I didn't like.

The Philippines was definitely a fantastic host for the pageant. The people really made this event special.

The entire thing feels foreign to me. It's almost like the gray area between Miss World on steroids, and Miss Universe stripped naked.

Again, congratulations on France's victory! I'm so happy for her.
Jake.Horan

Date of Birth: 15 Dec 1990
Sexual Orientation: Straight
Profession: Entourage Guy
Hobbies/Interests: Smart conversations

Postby ManMeat » Tue Jan 31, 2017 7:01 am

Even though I don't agree with Canada and Venezuela part of your review,
(People gave Venezuela second chance over 3rd chance but she failed, remains bitchy. Canada wasn't originally curvy, I don't think she deserves to be curvy women's representative)

I think you made great thread again. UNO bish :-* :=p
ManMeat
SUPER STARS are POPULAR or CHARISMATIC posters.
SUPER STARS are POPULAR or CHARISMATIC posters.

Date of Birth: 27 Mar 1989
Sexual Orientation: -----------
Profession: I'm better than you
Western Zodiac Sign: Aries
Chinese Zodiac: Snake
Hobbies/Interests: I'm gonna mention your dirty ass double standards

Postby qwerty1234 » Tue Jan 31, 2017 7:28 am

It is my first time to watch Miss Universe live yesterday and it is one of the best things that happened to my life.

THE GOOD:
Philippines hosting the pageant for the third time. Indeed, the Philippines did great job hosting the pageant.
Also, seeing Canada in the Top 13. It is a suprise but in a good way. She's not our typical Miss Universe type but hey, she performed well.

THE BAD:
I'll be honest, the format of this year's pageant is so bad. I expected so much. I wished they still used the old format where the girls walk individually.

THE UGLY:
NO VENEZUELA in Top 13! I find it weird not see the girl who did an amazing job in the Preliminaries ending up as a clapper.

THE BEAUTIFUL:
Miss France winning the pageant. I regret not putting her on my list but yesterday, she really shined! A very well deserve win for France and Europe.
Don’t doubt it. Just shout it. Mabuhay.
qwerty1234
PIONEERS are the most experienced members of Missosology.

Real Life Name/Nick: prince
Date of Birth: 13 Sep 1990
Profession: student
Western Zodiac Sign: Virgo
Chinese Zodiac: Horse
Hobbies/Interests: studying

Postby polarbear » Tue Jan 31, 2017 7:32 am

To be honest, this post get me so much! And I love it
The fact that I've been watching the live telecast and from top 13 announcement to the final top 3
And actually after the top 6 I ranked France first, then Haiti, then Colombia.
I totally agree that Haiti is playing the sympathy card too much
And Colombia was just too general in my opinion and FRANCE was STUNNING, HUMBLE, POSITIVE. She spoke with DIPLOMACY and PROFESSIONALISM
So no doubt at all why France deserve the win! =c3
Hands down deserving :7
polarbear
NEWBIES are NEW members.
NEWBIES are NEW members.

Real Life Name/Nick: Geof
Date of Birth: 29 Aug 1999
Sexual Orientation: Bicurious
Profession: Student
Chinese Zodiac: Rabbit
Hobbies/Interests: Comedy and trivias :)
Message: To be confidently beautiful, you must have beauty with a purpose.

Postby prowazekii » Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:01 am

interesting if FRANCE, would consider hosting Miss.Universe..Im.sure.chanel, and hermis.have.the money <:-P
i think of Miss Universe who is the most beautiful, most femininely graceful, most charming, delightful and sweet...
prowazekii

Real Life Name/Nick: Ron Weasley Fr. Hogwarts
Date of Birth: 21 Dec 2008
Profession: Physician
Hobbies/Interests: The OLympic Games,Miss Universe,HP and Haus MD
Message: " hard work and perseverance outlast sheer luck and talent"

Postby UNO - God of Beauty » Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:09 am

prowazekii wrote:interesting if FRANCE, would consider hosting Miss.Universe..Im.sure.chanel, and hermis.have.the money <:-P

Without Miss Universe, the Tourism industry has always been booming. Even people going to Lourdes, France for pilgrimage.
Though France will host the Olympics soon.

UNO - God of Beauty

Postby UNO - God of Beauty » Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:16 am

Jake.Horan wrote:First of all, Congratulations on your girl's victory! I was meant to send you a message but of course it's sooo easy to access Misso right in the heat of the pageant #saidnooneever

I was meant to be writing a review like this too but I'm in such an uncouth place with the joke that was yesterday's production. So I decided to make a joke about it instead. But this is a great review of course!

Anyway, I agree with basically a lot of points you have brought up:
- That Iris' crowning and Andrea landing a Top 3 spot was what saved the night for me. When Brazil got the cut, then Mexico, I WANTED FRANCE TO WIN SO BAD.
- That it was a missed opportunity not having any touch of Filipino culture on their production. Its not every year that they get to travel outside of Vegas or US and the one time they did, they wouldn't even, at the very least, consider using maybe a photo of the Philippine beaches for Swimsuit round. It was so generic.
- That Steve Harvey was funny at first. Then he wasn't.
- That Steve Harvey putting the judges on the spot by asking them particularities of who they thought excelled was done in such bad taste, I felt.
- That I was over Kenya by Top 9. She provided like a minute discourse on reaching for your dreams when it could've been answered straightforwardly.

We are not on the same page with Canada's inclusion. Just to get it out there, like you, I like the fact that they are not too fixated on "thin is beautiful" ideology. I don't have issues with Canada being plus size per se, I have issues with her being plus size and then having that define her as though she has struggled with it since time immemorial, when she was bloody fit a couple of months ago. No Siera, you don't get to be on Top 12 because you got yourself bigger and you claim to have had such a hard life because of it when the other candidates were busting their arses off in the gym to keep fit. Of course there are factors like interviews to be considered, and she probably did well with those. I get that. I knew they wouldn't cut Siera on SS round because it's too un-PC. That's how I see it. One can argue she displayed a lot more confidence than the likes of Brazil. Perhaps she did, but not to me anyway. If she were fat her entire life because she has some thyroid issues that's affecting her metabolism, I'd jump on that bandwagon to cheer her on. But nope. Anyway, that's just my thoughts about the issue. Peace :)>-

Three hour block for a pageant, and they got the ladies to parade in threes? For both SS and EG? I don't get it.

Overall, I like the direction they're heading regarding women empowerment, women with substance, less of glam and more of story. It's the way the org's going about addressing this, from a production standpoint, that I didn't like.

The Philippines was definitely a fantastic host for the pageant. The people really made this event special.

The entire thing feels foreign to me. It's almost like the gray area between Miss World on steroids, and Miss Universe stripped naked.

Again, congratulations on France's victory! I'm so happy for her.

Thank you mon ami for sharing your own review here. We have almost identitical views. I understand your concenrs about Miss Canada. But, I cant just crucify her. I was so slim too as well. But now, I am so fat. And I am gaving a hatd time losing weight. I would go the gym but still I cant discipline myself not to think about food. There are lots of indicators why someone would gain weight. Even stress and depression can trigger you with your food intake. So, I am not really gonna crucify Miss Canada. It's her story to tell and we might just be seeing a tip of the iceberg.

UNO - God of Beauty

Postby markita » Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:18 am

I resent the idea that vociferous pinoy fans with puerile minds are easily cajoled to ridicule other candidates or their own. Bashing for them is as a form of prophylactic medicine, an excuse to defeat. This year it's different. They know Maxine exceeded their expectations and Miss France deserved the crown. Iris' beauty is refreshing as a zephyr. I am certain that her win will not be a contentious issue.

I was unable to post any threads due to my hectic schedule but I had Iris (3rd runner-up) in my top 5 along with Dominican Republic (4th runner-up), Mexico (winner), Colombia (1st runner-up) and Poland (2nd runner-up).

I was phlegmatic about Maxine's chances of winning the crown because of her Q&A skills but her prelim performance showed a hint of promise. She has one of the most beautiful faces in this year's edition and I knew it would be impossible to count her out. A spot was indeed reserved for Maxine in the top 13 because she deserved it.

The rest of my top 12 were as follows:
6. Philippines
7. Aruba
8. Curacao
10. Panama
9. Argentina
11. China
12. Spain

I honestly didn't expect USA, Brazil and Thailand to place after their dismal prelim performances but congrats to them as well.

Thank you for this thread UNO, I've always admired your undying dedication to pageants and this is the best review I've read so far.

Congrats mi amor! :-* :=p
markita

Date of Birth: 26 Jul 1983
Sexual Orientation: Gay
Profession: Beauty Pageant Expert
Western Zodiac Sign: Leo
Hobbies/Interests: Films, Pageantry & Literature

Postby UNO - God of Beauty » Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:21 am

qwerty1234 wrote:It is my first time to watch Miss Universe live yesterday and it is one of the best things that happened to my life.

THE GOOD:
Philippines hosting the pageant for the third time. Indeed, the Philippines did great job hosting the pageant.
Also, seeing Canada in the Top 13. It is a suprise but in a good way. She's not our typical Miss Universe type but hey, she performed well.

THE BAD:
I'll be honest, the format of this year's pageant is so bad. I expected so much. I wished they still used the old format where the girls walk individually.

THE UGLY:
NO VENEZUELA in Top 13! I find it weird not see the girl who did an amazing job in the Preliminaries ending up as a clapper.

THE BEAUTIFUL:
Miss France winning the pageant. I regret not putting her on my list but yesterday, she really shined! A very well deserve win for France and Europe.

Congratulations to you my Andrea Tovar. So, its true you are not pregnant at all. You ate a lot of food last Christmas and New Year. Hahaha

Seriously, it's always a joy to interact, fool around, talk serious topics, and other stuffs with the five of you. I'm glad you enjoyed the Miss Universe live finals. :hx

UNO - God of Beauty

Postby lutosfeet » Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:34 am

I agree they should have added a FILIPINO flavor to the program. Yesterday I felt that I was just watching a live telecast from Las Vegas not in Manila... Miss Universe 74 and 94 are still way ahead too memorable as compared to yesterday's edition and please they should remove the by 3's its annoying ~X( ~X( ~X( ~X(
lutosfeet
ELITES are highly regarded as FINEST posters of Missosology.

Date of Birth: 04 Mar 1987
Profession: Rocker
Chinese Zodiac: Rat
Hobbies/Interests: pageant and writing

Postby Zeus..! » Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:21 am

Damn Uno . that was interesting enough to make me sift through every single part of it #:-S <:-P

Congratulations :: France is both facially and personally very attractive , eventually she's a beauty queen and undoubtedly she gained it with her own merits and qualifications . having a dentist as a Miss Universe is some thing to be always proud of .
here are the points I want to point to :
1-the Venezuella exclusion from the top 13 , which I totally agree with you on , what's more , you said that MUV 2014 and 2015 's performance wasn't wowing like Mariam's , I would love to Add that even Miss Universe 2013 Gabriella couldn't , in my eyes , give a better performance .
the fact that Mariam gave a bad attitude is debatable , and it could imply a lot of harmful plannings from her haters just to have her out of the game , and they just made it with flying colors . she should , at least , have a semifinal placement . period !

2--I can't agree more on Canada , I shall admit I am still in shock that she beat chicks like Indonesia , Australia or Brazil for example , which can't make sense to me ! the girl is obviously overweight , and I still can't comprehend how she jumped to the final 13 ~X( weird .

3--Haiti's high placement isnt convincing ! shes educated enough , confident enough , polished enough I agree all of those ,but what she all has isn't ENOUGH for that spot . come ON . we all know even secretly that a lot of other girls were more deserving than her the first runner up spot if given the chance to play . what proves me right is that she wasn't included in majority of predictors' top 13 lists . any ways . congrats for her as well ..

thank you Uno , that was very gracefull <:-P
Last edited by Zeus..! on Tue Jan 31, 2017 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Life is like a box of chocolate, you never know what you,re gonna get
Zeus..!
AMBASSADORS represent their country.
AMBASSADORS represent their country.

Real Life Name/Nick: Don,t have one
Date of Birth: 11 Oct 1977
Profession: engineer
Hobbies/Interests: internet , reading

Postby hijoxxlucho22 » Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:53 am

=D> =D> =D>
Thanks heaps, Uno! Hail my Queen Iris! She really deserves the crown I reckon.

A few days ago, I posted a trivia discussing "Judgement of Paris" -- a contest between the three most beautiful goddesses of Olympos [Aphrodite, Hera and Athena] for the prize of a golden apple addressed "To the Fairest."

Blimey! A girl from Paris won this year's edition.

Again, héler ma reine!
If some people are strong enough to bring you down, show them you are strong enough to get up.
hijoxxlucho22
Dark green members are SEMI-ACTIVE posters.
Dark green members are SEMI-ACTIVE posters.

Date of Birth: 02 Apr 1987
Sexual Orientation: -----------
Profession: Consultant
Hobbies/Interests: Books & Food

Postby Rauma » Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:12 am

Nice review Uno! :=p I just don't get that people are still crying for Venezuela out of top 13 :)(

here are my points:

THE GOOD:
MUO shared a message that confidently beautiful doesn't mean an arrogant girl covering by her strong sash but a really confident girl even with imperfections. Sometimes, imperfection is the THING making the uniqueness (Kenya's nose shape, Canada's wide frame, Haiti's birthmark...)
Steve didn't mess up ;)

THE BAD:
Top 13 format and unclear judgement. I still don't understand how the public voting was included to the judges voting.
Maxine not giving a clear answer to her question

THE UGLY:
Venezuela's behavior, arrogance, grotesque gestures and theatrical performance. C'mon Venezuela, you can do better. I mean I was not a fan of Migbelis but she was at least a funny person.
The "elevator music" during SS and EG presentation

THE BEAUTIFUL:
Miss France winning and Europe getting Miss Universe crown after a long time period. Europe was really overdue for the crown and Iris was the perfect choice to get it :-*
Stunning and diverse top 3
Earthquakes don't recognize borders. Diseases, famine, drought don't recognize borders. Why the f* should we?
Rauma

Real Life Name/Nick: Marie
Date of Birth: 24 Jul 1979
Profession: Accountant
Western Zodiac Sign: Leo
Chinese Zodiac: Goat
Hobbies/Interests: Music, fitness, dancing, arts, modelling

Postby DetectiveConan » Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:51 am

What a beautiful and insightful read. I have to be honest that it took me a while to warm up to France but I think it was mainly the all natural shot that the ladies did that prevented me from appreciating her. But lets be honest 90% of the girls in that shot looked awful and just a mess. It was not that they aren't naturally beautiful but the lighting and everything were a mess. Even you can take a better selfie with a smartphone.

While this post is about France I have to agree with another post about Canada. No Canada you weren't even a plus size of most your adult life. Few months back you were a smoking hot babe with a banging bod. It's natural for past titleholders to put on weight after their reign. Take Sushmita for example 23 years and eventhough she is not as pageant ready bod as she was then, she is still very much in shape and healthy. But you Canada showed signs of drastic weight gain on purpose. You did your homework and in a way it paid off. But you don't get to play victim here as you didn't go through the same ordeal that "fiercely real" size women out there!
DetectiveConan
MISSOSOLOGISTS are OFFICIALLY part of the MISSOSOLOGY FAMILY.

Real Life Name/Nick: Detective Conan
Date of Birth: 29 Oct 1984
Sexual Orientation: Asexual
Profession: Detecting real beauties
Western Zodiac Sign: Scorpio
Hobbies/Interests: Pageants, RPDR, shopping and sales

Postby qwerty1234 » Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:59 am

UNO - God of Beauty wrote:
qwerty1234 wrote:It is my first time to watch Miss Universe live yesterday and it is one of the best things that happened to my life.

THE GOOD:

THE BAD:

THE UGLY:

THE BEAUTIFUL:

Congratulations to you my Andrea Tovar. So, its true you are not pregnant at all. You ate a lot of food last Christmas and New Year. Hahaha

Seriously, it's always a joy to interact, fool around, talk serious topics, and other stuffs with the five of you. I'm glad you enjoyed the Miss Universe live finals. :hx

I'm surprised that I made it that far!!! I was like :-O . HAHAHA
Don’t doubt it. Just shout it. Mabuhay.
qwerty1234

Real Life Name/Nick: prince
Date of Birth: 13 Sep 1990
Hobbies/Interests: studying

Postby beautywatchnyc » Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:16 pm

Thank you Uno for this absorbing, timely review. Good, and . . . the beautiful? Allow me to cite a few:

Bringing the 2016 edition to the Philippines is a testament to the organizational talent of the Filipino! Call it by any name, it already is an achievement of sorts with a distinctive Filipino touch!

Ecstatic girls seen frolicking in our beaches, savoring the wonderful sights, enjoying the native sounds, and smell of flavors uniquely Filipino equate to global advertisement in a grander scale.

The hospitable, caring, and shrieking locals everywhere the contestants go crystallized the real GEM of the Philippines - - which is none other than - - the FILIPINOS! This edition showcased not only the innate charm but also the bounties and natural wonders of the islands!

Extensive global media mileage, doubtless, is another plus. This comes as a freebie considering our DOT's meager financial resources. Multi-media coverage and the benefit of international exposure translate i otherwise to huge expense items that could have drained DOT's cash-strapped coffers.

The age-old cherished tradition of generous giving and sharing among the Filipino came to a flourish with this edition. From the bottom of our heart, we shout - - thank you sponsors for a job well done! We are grateful for the unqualified support and your benevolence as we call on our overseas audiences to savor this unique bayanihan spirit as the need arises.

In this staging, Filipinos have once again proven how passionate they can be of pageants like Ms Universe. Shouts of support resonate and greeting the delegates or those in their entourage in euphoric fashion re-enforces that belief. It cements the claim and solidifies further the Filipinos' propensity for things insanely true, good, and beautiful.

Conversely, in this level of competition, Filipinos cannot be dissuaded upon in expressing disgust or even anger over an obscene display of rotten behavior. The girl who carelessly does that will be crucified and called ugly names!

It will serve to know that despite a strong lobby and bid proposals by the aspiring competitors, IMG's had decidedly narrowed its choice of the Philippines as host. As a fitting tribute to cap Pia's remarkable reign, this gesture more than compensates for what has been unfairly criticized in these pages as a potent "lack of Filipino flavor" in the usual proceedings.

With gratitude, thank your so much MUO/IMG for this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity! How else can the Filipinos complain about or bargain for?

Last edited by beautywatchnyc on Tue Jan 31, 2017 6:58 pm, edited 15 times in total.
beautywatchnyc
VIP MEMBERS are REAL LIFE candidates or PAGEANT ORGANIZERS.
VIP MEMBERS are REAL LIFE candidates or PAGEANT ORGANIZERS.

Location: New York City (former) now residing in the Royal Borough of Kensington & Chelsea, SW5
Real Life Name/Nick: david
Profession: HR Consultancy, Professional Cooking
Western Zodiac Sign: Cancer
Hobbies/Interests: Surfing D Net Cooking Travel Reading Pho2graphy

Postby frederick » Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:38 pm

:hx :-D :-D :-D
frederick

Date of Birth: 10 Dec 1988
Profession: Dancer
Western Zodiac Sign: Sagittarius
Chinese Zodiac: Dragon
Hobbies/Interests: Net surfing/National Geographic, Sciences

Postby Llyod Carnegie » Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:23 pm

Maybe I was born during my past life as a french man.
Not only because I have so much love and passion bout French arts and sites,
my love for their food, music, language and culture and beauty of their people are somewhat innate.
In Miss Universe, the last time i had so much following to their candidate was in 2012 with my lololoves Marie Payet.
It must have been perfect to have Marie and Janine as the last two standing!!

I watched the pageant live in MOA, while the whole coliseum chanted 'Haiti', but who cares, I was a proud salmon swimming
against the stream. Vive la France!!!

Félicitations, Iris!!
Two thumbs up UNO!
:7 :7 :7

Llyod Carnegie

Real Life Name/Nick: Llyod Carnegie
Date of Birth: 01 Jan 1986
Sexual Orientation: Not sure
Profession: Meteorologist, RN
Western Zodiac Sign: Aquarius
Chinese Zodiac: Ox
Hobbies/Interests: Fashion, Sex, Movies

Postby analysisandcritique » Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:24 pm

This is such a good read!

A lot of people had Thailand as their sentimental favorite. After their own candidate, they had Thailand as their second candidate. I was rooting for Phils but in case she does not get in, I wished for Thailand. The Thai fans were in front of me and I am happy that they came all the way to the Phils to support.

As for the answers of the top 3, all were good but a different typ of good. Columbia's was deep and sounded theoretical. Haiti's appealed to pity which was smart. France's was very personal and I think that strucked a chord with the judges.

I also like your analysis which included past winners such as Kurara.
analysisandcritique

Real Life Name/Nick: nick
Date of Birth: 21 Sep 1987
Chinese Zodiac: Rabbit
Hobbies/Interests: anlaysis and judging

Postby bangsar_guy » Tue Jan 31, 2017 2:52 pm

Thank you for an excellent review Uno !
bangsar_guy

Hobbies/Interests: Pageantry to some extent !

Postby valleriam » Tue Jan 31, 2017 4:25 pm

I saw CANADA in "the GOOD" and I am revolted... she is UNDESERVING.

The rest, I agree with all!

Very beautiful thread.
MY FINAL CHOICES FOR MISS UNIVERSE 2022:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1954551
valleriam

Date of Birth: 24 Jan 1988
Profession: HBIC
Hobbies/Interests: Beauty

Postby Skank Land » Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:34 pm

Great read! :=p

Now, for the contestants:
Good: Haiti's placement :=p
Bad: Venezuela. Very bad! [-X :%)) :%)) :%))
Ugly: USA. =O/
Beatiful: France! :-* :-* :-*
Skank Land

Real Life Name/Nick: JJ
Date of Birth: 01 Jan 1995
Western Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Hobbies/Interests: Music

Postby Malcanthet » Tue Jan 31, 2017 6:05 pm

As suggested on another thread....the top 13 were interviewed by Steve Harvey when they were announced as a semi/quarter finalist, so perhaps they were judged on that too and it carried over to the swimsuit round. Not to mention that all of the judges were women except one....and if it is any indication, the 2011 pageant have women as the majority in the judging panel and it seems they prefer contestants with more realistic bodies...hence leggy Amazons like Kosovo and Venezuela were cut out early that year.
Malcanthet

Real Life Name/Nick: TCL
Date of Birth: 01 Jan 1969
Profession: Adm Asst
Western Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Chinese Zodiac: Monkey
Hobbies/Interests: Music, swimming

Postby paopaonine » Tue Jan 31, 2017 6:24 pm

great review UNO :)
paopaonine

Real Life Name/Nick: PP
Date of Birth: 01 Jan 1917
Profession: Supervisor
Western Zodiac Sign: Pisces
Chinese Zodiac: Dragon
Hobbies/Interests: Pageants
Message: You never get tired with what you are passionate about.

Postby vincintjance » Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:05 pm

WME/IMG IS BULLSHIT!!!! A LOT OF THE TOP 13 QUALIFIERS WERE FUCKING OUTLIERS! THE IDEA OF THEIR REBRANDING WAS FUCKING SOCIALIST DEMOCRAT GLOBALIST SCHEME! REMEMBER THE LAST ERA UNDER DONALD TRUMP WAS SO CONSERVATIVE RIGHT WING IDEALIST THAT'S WHY THE TRUMP ERA WAS FULL OF WELL-TONED FEMININE TYPE AURA WITH A FIERCE DIVA ATTITUDE REFLECTING A SUPERMODEL RUNWAY TYPE OF GIRLS! FAT UR CHUBBY WILL NOT SURVIVE UNDER TRUMP FORMULA! WITH IMG, THEY ARE CHANNELING THE LIBERAL GLOBALIST PRINCIPLE OF EXTREME TOLERANCE. THE RESULT, THE MISS PIGGY MISS CANADA MADE IT TO TOP 13 THIS YEAR! THE HARD TRUTH IS MISS UNIVERSE IS NOW GOING BACKWARDS TO THE FAILED CRITERIA OF PRE- TRUMP ERA DURING THE 90s, 80s, OR 70s.
vincintjance

Real Life Name/Nick: vincint
Date of Birth: 26 Aug 1981
Profession: chemist
Chinese Zodiac: Rooster
Hobbies/Interests: internet surfing; TRAVELLING; RESEARCH

Postby georgj16 » Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:15 pm

Whoa this is the first time hearing the rumour of Andrea been pregnant :-O :%))
<3 Andrea Tovar <3
@miss_barbaro
georgj16

Date of Birth: 03 Jun 1992
Hobbies/Interests: Beauty Pageants, Fashion, Aviation

Postby Miss Universe 1000 B.C » Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:15 pm

Miss Universe 1000 B.C
BEAUTY EXPERTS have very GOOD TASTE in beauty.
BEAUTY EXPERTS have very GOOD TASTE in beauty.

Real Life Name/Nick: SHAYNAH MARÍA HERRERA
Date of Birth: 20 Feb 1924
Profession: GODDESS OF BEAUTY
Western Zodiac Sign: Pisces
Chinese Zodiac: Snake
Hobbies/Interests: Beauty, Magic, Divination, Occultism, Mysticism

Postby bonienava » Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:35 pm

UNO - God of Beauty wrote:

(Signed by Miss Universe 1000 B.C)

The 65th Miss Universe has finally come to an end but the journey of my dear Iris Mittenaere has just began. She is about to embark a wonderful and extraordinary year wherein she can be able to inspire and touch the lives of many. Believe me, through the whole course of the final telecast, my heart was constantly pounding. The whole time, I was cheering for Philippines, Thailand, Colombia and France. Come top 3, I just can't breathe anymore. At 4am, the 16th Arrondisement probably heard the loudest scream ---- my scream! Gosh, it is as if I won. Miss FRANCE, has finally won again after 63 long years. But before I share you more about the newly crowned Miss Universe, let me share my views regarding the recently concluded Miss Universe.

PHILIPPINES as a HOST COUNTRY

Third time's indeed a charm. Well, Philippines' success as a host is not measured if their representative managed to win or not. The Philippines has again showed their utmost best and hospitality, successfully hosted different ancillary events, and lastly, has given the candidates beautiful memories for them to remember by. Upon the girls arrival, we have witnessed different activities that showcased the diverse beauty of the country. I will commend the girls because regardless of their busy and exhausting routine everyday, they all managed to deliver and participate with their staminas and great amount of will. Kudos to Batch 2016.

I would like to commend the many people behind the ancillary events headed by my hardworking friend, Jonas Gaffud, for a superb job. He is not even sleeping at times. Big thanks to the people at the Tourism Department, headed by Secretary Wanda Corazon Teo, and of course, to Governor Luis Chavit Singson, for fighting his hardest and eagerness in the staging of this pageant. Hats off.

But, here's a jaw dropping news, are you ready for the 66th Miss Universe happening again in the Philippines this November? Well, people will raise their eyebrows on this news of mine for sure. There had been talks and negotiations, yes.

THE STAGE and PRESENTATION

Frankly, I can say that the LED projectors just like last year added a great amount of impact at the final telecast. The stage is "pas mal", though I wish it could be better. We saw that triangle again in the middle just like last year, and even at this year's Miss World. Is triangle a thing now? Or some people would again relate it to Illuminati. Well, who cares?

Going back, maybe the stage design wasn't as massive like the other editions because of the way they will choreograph the presentation. I mean, I am not a fan of these batch by batch thingy. Am I gonna start my list of the "BADS"? For me, the girls were given a short time to do their walk, and the element of surprise was gone. Instead of concentrating to just one candidate, audience eyes will be distracted with the other two. Well, maybe they want to have a shorter time of exposures for the girls. But as for me, I still love the 2003 presentation in Panama. The evening gown presentation of Miss Serbia & Montenegro walking and gliding on that long runway is still playing inside my head, along with the fierce catwalk prowess of Miss Japan with her epic evening gown. Sigh.

Another thing I noticed, the whole presentation do not have any Filipino flavor. The last time Miss Universe was hosted outside US was in 2013. And you can feel the Russian vibe from the production, and stage design. Even in recent years, you could feel the influence of Sao Paulo (2011), the beautiful ruins from the old city in Vietnam (2008), and of course, the lavish and elaborate stage design and music of Thailand (2005). Way back in 1974 and 1994, you could feel the cultural palate and nuances of the Philippines. This year, it seems a copycat of 2015, - very westernized. Overall, as I've mentioned above, it is "pas mal". I just hope a distinct Filipino touch was added.

THE HOST

Steve Harvey capitalized more on the mistake he had last year. Well, if that was really a mistake? This year, he was given the opportunity to bridge the gap to both the Philippines and to Colombia. Have you noticed that in two occasions, Colombia and Philippines were called back to back? I love the fact that Harvey asked Andrea Tovar about how her countrymen feel about him. And I will give it to Andrea by being honest as she answered that a lot of her people actually hate him. Hahaha! No sugarcoating, she was just being straight-forward. But what I love about Andrea is she turned it positively by saying us humans can do mistakes but what's important is we learn from it, and we ask & give forgiveness.

I love the moment when after Pia's farewell walk, she acknowleged Steve for making her the most famous Miss Universe winner. And Steve reciprocated her by thanking her as he became the most memorable Miss Universe host. There is this chemistry in them that is both entertaining and sensible.

Then comes the announcement of the winner. Pia interrupted Steve to give him his glasses. It might be staged, but it gives us a good laugh especially in a very tense moment wherein I can't even describe the nervousness I was feeling that moment as Haiti might win over my Miss France.

The GOOD(S)

Well, isn't it a good news to end the speculation about Andrea being pregnant, and asked the MUO not to disqualify her but instead just remove her at the top 13 if ever she'll make it? Isn't it also a good news, that while people counted her out after the prelims by saying she was a disappointment, still she managed to penetrate up to the final 3? I commend her stage presence, her confidence and I truly commend her answer at the top 6. Placing at the top 3 for Colombia for three consecutive times, is extraordinary.

Another good thing I like about this year's edition is the fact tha IMG wants to send their message across, that they are embracing women of any shape or form, color, or background.

Ashley Graham as a host is a clear representation of this. The inclusion of a plus size candidate from Canada continues it's theme. In fact, while other people would bully her body during the swimsuit competition, the judges honor her confidence and stage presence. It is a joy to watch. Canada has the momentum, until she wore that almost bridal-ish white gown.

For a country like Haiti, it is a GOOD feelins to see an unhyped nor a not considered frontrunner making it up to the final 3. Well, when she was called at the top 13, it was already a shocker to some. But Raquel's very deserving. Statuesque, poised, and has a good stage presence. In fact, at some angles, she reminds me of Eva Mendes.

It was indeed a crazy moment wherein you are starting to scratch your head as the truth is unfolding right through your very eyes, and realized Kenya, Peru, Panama, and Canada were called and taking the spots that could have been for the other frontrunners. You will then try to recheck your list and asked, "Who among the frontrunners and those who performed well will be ousted?" Then I saw Australia, Spain, Netherlands, DR, Venezuela, Puerto Rico, Aruba, Curacao, Thailand and Nicaragua still waiting to be called. But the twelfth name that was called was Haiti. Wow! One spot left. Thailand in the end earned the last spot as the People's Choice. Her inclusion as a semi finalist is indeed a GOOD news for her country who had just lost their King last year.

Indonesia, on the other hand, has managed to place as a semi-finalist for the 4th consecutive time. Such a fruitful 2016 for Indonesia indeed. Congratulations.

The BAD(S)

Mariam Habach's exclusion at the top 13 left a bad taste in the mouth especially for us pageant enthusiasts who really admired her performances not just at the prelims but in even in Ilocos, Cebu and Davao. Though, some are speculating that her alleged "bitchy and bad attitude" was the cause of her demise because IMG and MUO are now looking for a girl who exudes good behavior, still, as for me, she should have atleast given a second chance to prove herself that she can be better.

Or perhaps, the MUO is scared of the fact that Mariam will nail every round of the competition, and can easily penetrate the top 3 and might in fact win! If MUO is not ready again for another Venezuelan to win, then I find it unfair. Yes, the organization might want to give other countries to win Miss Universe but I still feel that they should give credits to where credit is due. The two Venezuelans who placed in 2014 and 2015 are no match with Mariam's memorable performance. Next...

Maybe it is just me, but I don't like Steve asking the judges about specific candidates to whom has impressed them. Singling out their favorites spoiled the suspense. Though I am happy to hear France and Philippines on their list, still I then knew Kenya, Haiti and Canada were also favored. It made me think in my head, OMG, is it goodbye Panama and Peru? I admire Leila Lopes as she chose not to give names but instead she is waiting up to the last segment as her list keeps on changing.

The next bad thing I hate was when Brazil, with that banging body, failed to advance to the top 9. Well, shall I blame it with her BAD make up that almost made her look like Tina Turner in a wide LED screen? Ouch. One of the best candidates and frontrunners got ousted.

The Opening with FloRida, hmmmmm, I wish they could have done it better. Well, I feel FloRida was just the last option since perhaps other more deserving performers might be fully booked and busy, while FloRida has nothing on the plate and has a widely free scheduled for Miss Universe. Singing his old tracks in the opening made it looked like out dated. The girls were just walking and quickly introduced.

The UGLY

Watching the live tv telecast in Paris Premiere is indeed a joy as while the show is going on, there are two French doing the voice over. When Iris' interpreter mistakenly utter the word casting, the female VO was furious saying, "What casting? Oh lala! Putain!" Hahaha And even all of us at the room watching got nervous.

I myself was afraid that people might think her opening statement is shallow. People can easily connect the word casting as "actors casting" or "a model's go see casting". Despite that, I am pleased to see Iris poised, composed, she was taking her time answering, and she managed to wrap her answer up with a satisfying closing statements that made her very likeable and honest. Throwback 2006, my fear that moment was for Iris to ended up like Kurara Chibana (1st runner up at MU2006 from Japan), as the interpreter blew her answer.

Kenya being called first at the top 13 was a joy, as it indicates that there will be other unhyped girls to place. In fact, when she was asked by Steve at the first time, she won my heart with her beautiful heartwarming answer.

But, it turned ugly when at the second time, she uttered another monologue. I was like, girl, reserve some for the actual Q and A. Then top 6 came, and she ended up running into circles with her answer. And my reaction was "Girl, when it's time to fire up your guns, it seems like you've finished your bullets!" And it was ugly to watch!

Another UGLY moment was with Maxine Medina. Again, Maxine do not need an interpreter. She managed to survived the casual interview Steve gave her upon her inclusion at the top 13. Come the question and answer portion in the top 6, she failed to give a satisfying answer. Girl, this the game charger, and her problem was her capacity to produce a sensible answer. And, I should stop from here. I do not need to add salt to the injury.

The BEAUTIFUL

First, let me start this BEAUTIFUL category with the confidently beautiful Miss Universe 2015, Pia Wurtzbach. She has given so much for the Philippines and her win as Miss Universe cemented the position of this Asian powerhouse in the field of pageantry. Thank you Pia forba BEAUTIFUL reign. ---Crowned in 2015, reigned supreme in 2016, and has relinquished the title in 2017! Epic.

Next on my beautiful list, is a sentimental favorite of mine. Thailand wowed the whole arena during the evening gown competition. Wearing a gown that honors their queen was amazing. In fact, Chalita Suansane won the hearts of the audience because of her dramatic execution. Hats off.

Most of the girls who penetrated at the top 13 shared their personal stories. From Kenya's humble beginnings, USA's impressive resume as a woman serving at the military, and Peru's story of survival after her car accident last October, must say, most of them are truly inspiring and empowering. I salute these girls with all my heart. Massive RESPECT.

Another thing that made me smile at the final telecast was the video wherein these candidates were filmed with their mothers. A touching moment indeed, as it honors the wind behind the wings of these beauties; - such a beautiful segment.

Other beautiful moment was Myanmar winning the Best in National Costume. Aside from having a massive and heavy costume, her performance was both entertaining and superb. Kudos!

Speaking of costumes, in the history of Miss Universe, we saw a number of laborious and massive costumes. But from time to time, we saw some of the most memorable costumes like last year's Tuk-tuk costume from Thailand, Kurara Chibana's Samurai costume in 2006, and this year, I must say, that France finally nailed it in the head. For the first time, Moulin Rouge allowed someone who is not their performer to wear their costume. Iris has won the hearts of a lot of people. Right girl, right costume, right timing, indeed.

The final three, I must say are one of the most deserving line ups in recent years. Andrea Tovar, beautifully nailed the Q and A in the top 6. Haiti has her momentum going on. And France is steadily shining her brightest. Truthfully, it could have been any of the three. And believe me, I am so nervous. In my mind, the Philippines has a reputation of crowning a first time country. Plus, one of the judges, Sushmita Sen, is eyeing for an underdog to win. In my mind, the stars are aligning in favor of Haiti. But, Haiti's didn't really answer the last Q and A. I feel, she pulled the sympathy card, and highlighted more on a tragedy that she went through, rather than sharing about her own personal failures. But, the crowd bought what she was selling, as Haiti managed to pull their heart-strings. On the other hand, Colombia failed to provide a specific personal failure of hers. It could have been Andrea, as she delivering her answer word by word. But, unfortunately, it wasn't enough and satisfying. So I was having a glimpse of hope, wishing for the judges to appreciate that France indeed answer the question despite of her interpreter's wrong translation.

Then, Colombia was called at 2nd runner up. Iris is up against a towering giant, Raquel, who gave an answer that made the crowd applauding for her. My friends Marck Prince and Gio were both sending me messages as they are in the venue watching it live. Truthfully, it was really a tight race to the finish, and when Steve finally announced that Miss Universe is FRANCE, It felt like I also won..... that, the entire Europe and not just France has won. Iris was the only european in the top 13. And in every round of the competition, she managed to pass one step at a time. A day before the finals night, the last reply she sent me was this:

Meaning, "I hope to be able to go to the end. We will see tomorrow."

And what a BEAUTIFUL moment indeed, to be the last woman standing in the end. You made it, ma belle.
As an ordinary man living here in Paris, and to have spoken to Iris from time to time as she's Miss France, was already an honor. This time, she is the new Miss Universe. And I just can't wait to see and congratulate her soon (hopefully).

As I mentioned from my previous thread, Iris was not in the list of most pageant fanatics. People was even having second thoughts about her as she was just playing her cards quietly. She wasn't hyped at all. Despite of her having a subtle and steady approach, the judges and the organization didn't count her out. Iris was never the attention seeker. She was blending just fine with everybody. Was she included in the Ilocos or Davao fashion show? No. Her Filipino Designer's dress was also not as grand as the frontrunners. But, there wasn't any complain at all. Instead, she enjoyed every moment of her time in the Philippines with her fellow candidates. In short, she was basically just there.

But, when is the right time to peak? Iris finally managed to fire up her guns at the preliminary competition. And boy oh boy, her body at the swimsuit competition is to die for! Tres tres chaud!

She also gave one of the best performances in her beautiful yellow gown. Our friend, Tala, shared to our FB group chat, that France has the most beautiful gown that night. In addition, her national costume has already drawn positive remarks. And come National Director's night, France was already a hot item. In fact, Osmel got scared of Iris' presence in the competition, as they all witnessed the blossoming of a worthy winner. If only Kirina Urduja managed to finished her aborted Final Prediction thread, Kirina will be at the same league with Xamurai who bravely predicted Iris as the next Miss Universe. In my case, with my reputation of jinxing my prediction winner year after year, I purposely put Iris at my number 8. I've always believed that 8 is a lucky number. I kept myself collecting screenshots from all of the final prediction lists published here in Missosology, and I would send it to Iris. She was both delightful and happy. She would reply with Smilies with a heart. So yes, before that final day wherein she was crowned Miss Universe, I am pretty sure, she has read your kind words for her. Thank you to all.

Well, counting out Oxana's win in 2002, as she was asked to resign, technically, Europe's last Miss Universe win was in a back to back victories of Angela Visser (then Holland, now Netherlands in 1989) and Mona Grudt (Norway, 1990). Iris hasn't been born that time, as Iris was born in 24 January 1993. After 26 long years, a French belle will soon bring the Miss Universe crown back to Europe. And we just can't wait. Again, to Iris, thank you for making us all proud. You were given this once in a lifetime opportunity because you have a beautiful and humble heart. Félicitations.

VIVE LA FRANCE!!!

"In France we want to have the most globalization that we can. We want to have the biggest exchange of people that we can. Maybe someday that will change, but now we have open borders. Having an open borders allows us to travel more through the world and to find out more about what's out there in the world." - Iris Mittenaere, Miss Universe 2016

YOUR ARTICLE IS SO AMAZING, IT'S WORTHWHILE READING THIS..... FRANCE WAS MY PICK TOO TO GET THE CROWN TOGETHER WITH BRAZIL, PHILIPPINES AND DOMINICAN REPUBLIC....SHE'S SO BEAUTIFUL AND DID SPECTACULAR DURING THE PRELIM AND THE MAIN OR CONTEST PROPER.....CONGRATS TO HER! I WANT TO READ MORE OF UR POSTS....
bonienava
NEWBIES are NEW members.
NEWBIES are NEW members.

Real Life Name/Nick: bonie nava
Date of Birth: 04 Dec 1979
Profession: telesales representative
Western Zodiac Sign: Sagittarius
Chinese Zodiac: Goat
Hobbies/Interests: sketching, drawing
Message: frustrated fashion designer here.....i wanna learn how to sew...

Postby UNO - God of Beauty » Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:50 pm

lutosfeet wrote:I agree they should have added a FILIPINO flavor to the program. Yesterday I felt that I was just watching a live telecast from Las Vegas not in Manila... Miss Universe 74 and 94 are still way ahead too memorable as compared to yesterday's edition and please they should remove the by 3's its annoying ~X( ~X( ~X( ~X(

Yes. Look at the previous editions where Miss Universe was held outside US

UNO - God of Beauty

Next

Return to SEAL OF EXCELLENCE