BINIBINI TURNS GOLD

BINIBINI TURNS GOLD

Postby aniklabu » Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:42 am

FUNFARE
by Ricky Lo

This year’s search for the Binibinis will be more exciting than the past ones because the pageant is celebrating its 50th year. With the recent victory of Janine Mari Tugonon as first runner-up (to USA’s Olivia Culpo) in the Miss Universe Pageant, expectations are high (keep our collective fingers crossed!) that the “golden” Binibini will finally bring home the country’s third Miss U crown (after Gloria Diaz in 1969 and Margie Moran in 1973).

The joke among beauty-watchers is that the surname of the next Binibini (for Universe) must start with the letter “U” to continue the lucky streak — you know, Miriam Quiambao won first runner-up (to Miss Botswana) in 1999, Venus Raj fourth runner-up (to Miss Mexico) in 2010, Shamcey Supsup third runner-up (to Miss Angola) in 2011 and, of course, Janine Tugonon (to Miss USA) in 2012. Q-R-S-T, see?

Aspiring binibinis are reminded to submit their application forms on or before the deadline on Jan. 15, personally at the Bb. Pilipinas Charities, Inc./Uniprom Office, Red Gate of the Araneta Coliseum. And they should be available for interview/screening in a few days notice from BPCI.

In anticipation of the pageant’s “golden” staging, Funfare’s “other beauty expert” Celso de Guzman Caparas has collected interesting binibini trivia about the first-ever Bb. Pilipinas pageant in 1964:

The final screening of the 30 applicants was held on June 24, 1964. The 15 finalists: Marilou Alberto, Lilia Alvarez, Milagros Cataag, Edna Rosana Keyes, Marita Dimayuga, Aida Gaerlan, Elvie Gonzalez, Elizabeth Gutierrez, Carmelita Larrabaster, Maria Sonia Orendain, Myrna Panlilio, Thelma Shaw, Chiqui Somes, Mila Sumayao (Ocampo) and Nina Zaldua.

The first Bb. Pilipinas Coronation Night was postponed from July 3 to July 5 due to Typhoon Dading that wrought havoc in Central Luzon including Manila and its suburbs. A generator was put on standby in case of a power failure. The proceeds from the gate receipts were channeled to the typhoon’s victims. Ticket prices: Special Ringside, P5.00; Upper Box, P3.00; and General Admission, 90 centavos.

Entertainment ( Article MRec ), pagematch: 1, sectionmatch: 1

Myrna was crowned as the first-ever Bb. Pilipinas winner by 1963 Miss Universe third runner-up Lalaine Bennett. Runners-up were Milagros, Bb. Waling-Waling (first) and Elvie, Bb. Ilang-Ilang (second). Then 21 years old and an AB Foreign Service graduate of Maryknoll College, Myrna was a Merchants Bank teller. She won P2,000 cash, Regal sewing machine, a year’s supply of Helene Curtis beauty products, a complete wardrobe from Philippine Couturiers Association, a golden trophy from the Lions Club and a free trip to Miami, Florida, USA.

Mila was the first national beauty titleholder to join the pageant. She was Miss Press Photography of the Philippines 1959.

Aside from Mila, other pageant veterans who joined the contest were: Maria Sonia Orendain was Miss Visayas (second runner-up to 1963 Miss Philippines International Monina Medenilla Yllana) and 1963 Miss Press Photography of the Philippines first runner-up to Sylvia Gumabao; Chiqui was Miss Visayas (second runner-up) to 1963 Miss Philippines-Universe Lalaine Bennett and a Fairest Ten of the Philipines 1964 candidate; Edna Keyes was Miss Luzon (first runner-up) to 1964 Miss Philippines Gemma Cruz (Miss International winner that same year); Elvie was Queen of Dance-O-Rama for August 1963 and a Fairest Ten of the Philippines 1964 candidate; Nina was Miss Dance-O-Rama January 1964 and Miss Nite Owl February 1964; Myrna Panlilio was a princess of Cotton Philippines 1964 candidate; while Marilou Alberto and Carmelita Larrabaster were also Fairest Ten of the Philippines 1964 candidates.

Mila and Chiqui were the first movie actresses who joined the Bb. Pilipinas pageant. Mila was a child star in the early ‘50s; she appeared in Romansa sa Nayon (shown on July 14, 1952) and Haring Solomon at Reyna Sheba (shown on Dec. 21, 1952). Both films were topbilled by Nida Blanca, Nestor de Villa and Rogelio de la Rosa, and produced by LVN Productions. Mila’s first grown-up movie was Walang Takot (starring Lou Salvador, Jr., Marita Zobel and Bernard Bonnin, shown on Jan. 24, 1958). Chiqui first appeared in Mga Kanang Kamay (topbilled by Zaldy Zshornack, shown on Feb. 28, 1964).

Elvie was the first binibini to have joined the pageant in two consecutive years. The next year (1965), she was fourth runner-up to Louise Vail Aurelio. She was also the first binibini to win a national beauty title, Miss Press Photography of the Philippines 1965, after joining the Bb. Pilipinas pageant. (In 1994, her daughter Charlene Gonzalez was crowned 1994 Bb. Pilipinas Universe and finished among the Top 6 in that year’s Miss U pageant held in Manila for the second time).

Edna Keyes was the first binibini to become a movie actress. She was introduced in Lalaine, Mahal Kita, topbilled by Lalaine Bennett, shown on Aug. 20, 1964.

Showbiz lineage: Chiqui is the daughter of LVN character actor and former Manila cop Jose Vergara. Mila was the mother of Snooky Serna (by actor Von Serna). Elvie is the mother of Charlene and Richard Bonnin (both by the late actor Bernard Bonnin). Nina is the mother of Lance and Rannie Raymundo.

In Memoriam: Myrna passed away on July 19, 2009, due to cardiac arrest; she was 66. Mila died at 67 on Jan. 6, 2010, due to lingering emphysema.

the greatest thing above all is to love and be loved in return

aniklabu
MISSOSOLOGISTS are OFFICIALLY part of the MISSOSOLOGY FAMILY.

Real Life Name/Nick: EDRIC
Date of Birth: 17 Mar 1972
Profession: Credit and Collection Supervisor
Western Zodiac Sign: Pisces
Chinese Zodiac: Rat
Hobbies/Interests: DANCER/CHOREOGRAPHER/BEN 10 TOY COLLECTOR

Re: BINIBINI TURNS GOLD

Postby lazy_ace » Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:49 am

So are we going to expect an all-gold gown for the binibinis? I think they did this before during their Ruby anniversary
lazy_ace

Real Life Name/Nick: ace_of_the_game
Date of Birth: 22 Dec 1992
Profession: student
Western Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Chinese Zodiac: Monkey
Hobbies/Interests: net surfing

Postby capdase » Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:00 am

Somebody needs to teach this fag how to write. His article is saturated with unnecessary parentheses.
capdase

Date of Birth: 23 Aug 1986
Profession: artist
Hobbies/Interests: biking

Postby Mariana Erwin » Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:18 am

The writing is too awful in my opinion but I clearly understand what the issue was about.
Mariana Erwin
ELITES are highly regarded as FINEST posters of Missosology.

Real Life Name/Nick: Mariana
Date of Birth: 05 Apr 1988
Profession: None
Western Zodiac Sign: Aries
Chinese Zodiac: Dragon
Hobbies/Interests: Being a commentator

Postby jczevahc » Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:56 am

lazy_ace wrote:So are we going to expect an all-gold gown for the binibinis? I think they did this before during their Ruby anniversary

i dont love the idea of all the girls wearing the same shade of color. i believe that it would not be fair because some girls would look good in that certain color and others would not.. they could have the girls all wearing shades of gold but maybe on a fashion show, but not as their final gowns imo.. :#)]
jczevahc
CUTIES are ADORABLE & CUTE members.
CUTIES are ADORABLE & CUTE members.

Real Life Name/Nick: jc
Date of Birth: 06 Jan 1992
Hobbies/Interests: designs, pageants, fashion

Postby frederick » Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:10 am

I think! They will use yellow shirts for the Binibinis and golden bikinis and not the gown.
frederick

Date of Birth: 14 Apr 2010
Profession: CSR
Chinese Zodiac: Tiger
Hobbies/Interests: Net surfing/National Geographic, Sciences

Postby username12345 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:59 pm

CONFEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRMMMMMMMMMMMMMDDDD!!! LURKER DIN NG MISSO YANG SI MAMA RICKY LO. ALAM NA ALAM NYA ANG TUNGKOL SA Q-R-S-T!!! ANO KAYA NICK NYA???
username12345
PIONEERS are the most experienced members of Missosology.
PIONEERS are the most experienced members of Missosology.

Real Life Name/Nick: USERNAME12345
Date of Birth: 21 Dec 2008
Profession: PALABOY
Chinese Zodiac: Pig
Hobbies/Interests: WALA, WALA, MERON PALA AT KUNG ANO ANO PA

Postby prettyadonis » Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:16 pm

username12345 wrote:CONFEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRMMMMMMMMMMMMMDDDD!!! LURKER DIN NG MISSO YANG SI MAMA RICKY LO. ALAM NA ALAM NYA ANG TUNGKOL SA Q-R-S-T!!! ANO KAYA NICK NYA???

lady winter =;)) =;)) =;)) =;))

IM A... IM A....BITCH!!!!

Beautiful.Individual.That.Creates.Haters
prettyadonis

Date of Birth: 11 Aug 1988
Sexual Orientation: Asexual
Profession: ~Nurse~
Western Zodiac Sign: Leo
Chinese Zodiac: Dragon
Hobbies/Interests: dancing, watching movie, playing volleyball

Postby chikadorang gala » Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:05 pm

ALAM KEZ KUNG SINECHIWA SIYA DITO!!!!! WIZ KO SPLUK EVER!!! DAVA MAMA RICA????!!!!
oLA chikkAAAA nAaaa!!!
agAin nd agAin nd AgAin nd eVRytn nd eVRytN 4eVR nd evER!!!
chikadorang gala
VIP MEMBERS are REAL LIFE candidates or PAGEANT ORGANIZERS.
VIP MEMBERS are REAL LIFE candidates or PAGEANT ORGANIZERS.

Real Life Name/Nick: TaWarding
Date of Birth: 30 Dec 1965
Profession: professional chikadora y chismosa
Hobbies/Interests: chumika ng chumika
Message: ang inyong lingkod na tagapaghatid ng maiinit na chika sa mundo ng pagandahan

Postby lazy_ace » Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:43 am

jeyzi wrote:
lazy_ace wrote:So are we going to expect an all-gold gown for the binibinis? I think they did this before during their Ruby anniversary

i dont love the idea of all the girls wearing the same shade of color. i believe that it would not be fair because some girls would look good in that certain color and others would not.. they could have the girls all wearing shades of gold but maybe on a fashion show, but not as their final gowns imo.. :#)]

me too, but knowing madam... alam na. who knows naka gold casual or cocktail dress sila for the prod while dancing GOLD by spandau ballet. hahaha
=b =b =b
lazy_ace

Real Life Name/Nick: ace_of_the_game
Date of Birth: 22 Dec 1992
Hobbies/Interests: net surfing

Postby sam_80 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:35 am

lazy_ace wrote:
jeyzi wrote:

me too, but knowing madam... alam na. who knows naka gold casual or cocktail dress sila for the prod while dancing GOLD by spandau ballet. hahaha
=b =b =b

Remember 1989 silver anniv (... or was it?...) all the 39 candidates are wearing silver/white gown where my one of my fave Miss RP and really pretty Jane Paez won BbP-U and Lilian Eloisa Andanar as BbP-I... :D/ :D/ :D/
sam_80

Real Life Name/Nick: sam
Date of Birth: 08 Apr 1980
Profession: professional
Chinese Zodiac: Rat
Hobbies/Interests: lots and lots and lots

Return to Philippines