OT: Being a Canadian Immigrant

Forum rules
Welcome to Missosology! RULES: Freedom of speech allowed but 1. NO CROSSING LIMITS AS DIRECT RACIST REMARKS, NUDE OR VIOLENT PICS. 2. NO SPAMMING/FLOODING 3. NO ADVERTISING 4. NO BLACKMAILING/VIOLATING/DIVULGING PRIVACY/personal infos of members as posting their real life pic/real life name without their consent. 5. NO AVENGING/ATTACKING MEMBERS ON THEIR PHYSICAL LOOKS 6. NO REPUTATION BUTTON ABUSE. Any question, feel free to post in the Help Desk section till a Moderator/Admin responds. HAVE FUN!

OT: Being a Canadian Immigrant

Postby nonoyborbun » Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:51 pm

GUYS REGARDING SA SUBJECT. I AM APPLYING FOR A CANADIAN IMMIGRANT VISA. HOWEVER, NOW THAT IT SEEMS I AM CLOSER TO GETTING THE VISA, I AM A BIT APPREHENSIVE ON THE LIFE THAT WILL MEET ME WHEN I TAKE THIS OPPORTUNITY. MAYBE BECAUSE AKO LANG ANG MAG-ISA NA PAPUNTA DYAN. I WOULD LIKE TO ASK TO THOSE PARTICULARLY LIVING THERE NOW THESE QUESTIONS TO HELP ME DECIDE.

1. HOW DID YOU GET YOUR HOUSING? I HAVE AN AGENCY AND THEY SAY THAT THEY WILL HELP GET PROVIDE ME WITH A PLACE TO STAY BUT I AM NOT SURE IF IT WOULD BE LIVING WITH OTHER FILIPINOS. IS THIS A NORMAL SETTING AMONG OUR KABABAYANS THERE.

2. WHEN APPLYING FOR A JOB, WHAT DOCUMENTS SHOULD I BRING WITH ME THERE?...SCHOOL TRANSCRIPT RECORDS, EMPLOYER CERTIFICATIONS, THE LIKES?

3. I HEARD THAT IF ONE WOULD WANT TO ELEVATE A JOB THAT IS ABOVE THE 'SKILLED PROGRAM', ONE HAS TO STUDY AGAIN. HOW IS THE TUITION FEE?
IS IT EXPENSIVE AND HOW DO YOU MAKE IT FIT IN TO YOUR SCHEDULE WITH THE SKILLED JOBS YOU HAVE GOTTEN SO FAR?

4. HOW ABOUT YOU WIFI PRIVILEGES? IS IT FREE THERE?

5. HOW ABOUT YOUR GROOMING PRIVILEGES? SA MGA FILIPINO BARBERSHOPS (IF ANY?) DIN BA KAYO PUMUPUNTA?

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE.

nonoyborbun
MISSOSOLOGISTS are OFFICIALLY part of the MISSOSOLOGY FAMILY.

Date of Birth: 27 Aug 1999
Sexual Orientation: Asexual
Profession: employee
Western Zodiac Sign: Cancer
Chinese Zodiac: Monkey
Hobbies/Interests: to be succesfull someday

Re: OT: Being a Canadian Immigrant

Postby PaulaTaylor » Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:15 pm

First of all, it’s veru exciting that you’re about to come Canada! It’s honestly an amazing place and I’m proud to be Canadian.

1. I don’t know how to answer this question because I moved here with my parents and we lived with my dad’s cousin for about 3 weeks and got our own place.

2. for lower paying jobs, all you need is to fill up they’re application and if they’re hiring, they’ll contact you. If you get through, they’re going to need your Social Insirance Number, banking info for direct deposit of your income and police background check.. But It all depends what kind of job you’re applying for. applying for a corporate job is a very rigorous process. I work in one of the Big 4s and they have one of the most intense recruiting process in any university - meaning that you have to write cover letters, go do networking, send in your transcript from a well know Canadian institution and hope that you’re a competitive student.

3. If you’re a PR, you pay the same tuition as a Canadian but they can be very expensive. I pay around $5kCAD / semester. A lot of schools offer later night classes so you can work in the morning.

4. Wifi lol. A lot of establishments offer free wifi and definitely a lot faster the fastest wifi in the Philippines.

5. I go to an Asian supermarket and they have a barber shop and I just get my haircut there.

What city are you going to live in? Cause Toronto and Vancouver are very expensive cities.
PaulaTaylor

Date of Birth: 03 Sep 1995
Profession: University Student
Western Zodiac Sign: Virgo
Chinese Zodiac: Pig
Hobbies/Interests: white boys

Postby pj_cyber » Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:16 pm

1. Since you are all by yourself, the normal setup is for you to rent a 1 bedroom apartment if you can afford it depending on which part of Canada are you moving into. Some just rent out rooms from other Filipino Families. If you know which city you are going to, then its better to check posts on Kijiji or craigslist regarding room rentals or 1 bed room apartments so you have a bit of an idea on how much.

2. Just prepare a copy of your resume with a cover letter. Its the basic when applying for jobs in Canada. Most applications are done online and you just have to attach your resume and cover letter. Only provide the school and work credentials when asked. So just keep them handy and good to have a soft copy(Scan copy saved on usb). Also the list of your references is what is asked during the interview.

3. yes you need to upgrade to the profession you want. Tuition is expensive, but since you will arrive in Canada as an immigrant. student loan will be available. Just inquire from the school you want to enrol into.

4. Most establishments or cities have free wifi, you just have to connect manually by accepting terms on a browser. Most coffee shops like starbucks, tim hortons, second cup, mcdonalds and malls have free wi fi. If you will live with a family, they will have wi fi for sure. if you will live on your own, you will have to sign up for your own subscription.

5. you can ask from the filipino stores/ community if they have local pinoy barbers. A lot of barber shops and salons there, quite expensive though. minimum of 22 C$
pj_cyber
INTERMEDIATES are EVOLVING posters.

Date of Birth: 04 Oct 1985
Profession: Bum
Western Zodiac Sign: Libra
Chinese Zodiac: Ox
Hobbies/Interests: Surfing the net

Postby beautywatchnyc » Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:23 pm

nonoyborbun wrote:GUYS REGARDING SA SUBJECT. I AM APPLYING FOR A CANADIAN IMMIGRANT VISA. HOWEVER, NOW THAT IT SEEMS I AM CLOSER TO GETTING THE VISA, I AM A BIT APPREHENSIVE ON THE LIFE THAT WILL MEET ME WHEN I TAKE THIS OPPORTUNITY. MAYBE BECAUSE AKO LANG ANG MAG-ISA NA PAPUNTA DYAN. I WOULD LIKE TO ASK TO THOSE PARTICULARLY LIVING THERE NOW THESE QUESTIONS TO HELP ME DECIDE.

1. HOW DID YOU GET YOUR HOUSING? I HAVE AN AGENCY AND THEY SAY THAT THEY WILL HELP GET PROVIDE ME WITH A PLACE TO STAY BUT I AM NOT SURE IF IT WOULD BE LIVING WITH OTHER FILIPINOS. IS THIS A NORMAL SETTING AMONG OUR KABABAYANS THERE.

You need to show proof of financial capability before you can engage a mortgage arrangement. Credit standing need to be established first. Cash card and references would be asked in your housing application. There are good places to stay in according to your financial preparedness but why be restrained with staying with fellow Filipinos when you can have other options. You need to embrace acculturation and living with other nationalities hastens the process

2. WHEN APPLYING FOR A JOB, WHAT DOCUMENTS SHOULD I BRING WITH ME THERE?...SCHOOL TRANSCRIPT RECORDS, EMPLOYER CERTIFICATIONS, THE LIKES?

As with most job applications, authenticated documentation are preferred if not required. Keep the originals and provide true copies only. The usual requirements you submitted at the Canadian Consular Mission for your entry visa will suffice. Submit the basic requirements as required. Don't pan your credentials and do not submit those that are not asked of.

3. I HEARD THAT IF ONE WOULD WANT TO ELEVATE A JOB THAT IS ABOVE THE 'SKILLED PROGRAM', ONE HAS TO STUDY AGAIN. HOW IS THE TUITION FEE?
IS IT EXPENSIVE AND HOW DO YOU MAKE IT FIT IN TO YOUR SCHEDULE WITH THE SKILLED JOBS YOU HAVE GOTTEN SO FAR?

Be positive. If you want to compete for a better paying job with a promise of upward mobility, go back to school if you have the resources and time. It's guaranteed and will further education or skills training obtained in Canada are recognized and remunerated accordingly. Be advised that you must obtain further training or upgraded education in an accredited institution in Canada.

For sure, its a hundredfold better than what is available in the Philippines. In some places it is free but might be imputed in your household bills in your place of domicile.

5. HOW ABOUT YOUR GROOMING PRIVILEGES? SA MGA FILIPINO BARBERSHOPS (IF ANY?) DIN BA KAYO PUMUPUNTA?

Go around and look for a saloon that accords affordability. Some Pinoy hairdressers are doing that as a source of extra revenue you can ask them to service you personally even in your place of residence.

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE.

Good luck I'm hoping this will help.
beautywatchnyc
VIP MEMBERS are REAL LIFE candidates or PAGEANT ORGANIZERS.

Real Life Name/Nick: david
Date of Birth: 21 Dec 2008
Profession: HR Consultancy, Professional Cooking
Chinese Zodiac: Horse
Hobbies/Interests: Surfing D Net Cooking Travel Reading Pho2graphy

Postby mrgary » Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:34 pm

Congratulations!

I think the best thing you need to do is to get to a church that is willing to help out newcomers like you. There are a lot of churches in Canada that provide free food every Tuesday (or depending on the church schedule) to temporarily help out individuals and families get back on their feet or to start anew. Mind you, the food items they freely give aren't so-so. My daughter used to volunteer at an interdenominational church in Vancouver many years ago which was the reason why I knew these things. Know where your embassy is. Your embassy can hook you up to different resource centres within your radius for jobs, miscellaneous support, etc. Godbless! ;-)
mrgary

Date of Birth: 15 May 1969
Sexual Orientation: Straight
Profession: Businessman
Hobbies/Interests: Piano-playing, Blogging, Traveling

Postby Macintosh » Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:07 pm

One thing is for sure, you will be better off here than in the Philippines. Just be prepared for the long cold winter.
Macintosh

Date of Birth: 21 Dec 1982
Profession: Professional
Hobbies/Interests: Blogging

Postby Geeyourhair » Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:23 pm

Okay I was once on your feet so I'll try to share to you what my experience was...Inserted comments below.

nonoyborbun wrote:GUYS REGARDING SA SUBJECT. I AM APPLYING FOR A CANADIAN IMMIGRANT VISA. HOWEVER, NOW THAT IT SEEMS I AM CLOSER TO GETTING THE VISA, I AM A BIT APPREHENSIVE ON THE LIFE THAT WILL MEET ME WHEN I TAKE THIS OPPORTUNITY. MAYBE BECAUSE AKO LANG ANG MAG-ISA NA PAPUNTA DYAN. I WOULD LIKE TO ASK TO THOSE PARTICULARLY LIVING THERE NOW THESE QUESTIONS TO HELP ME DECIDE.

I also came to Canada by myself though I have a friend already ahead of me.

I had my friend reserve the other room in his rented flat. So it was kinda easy for me. If you have a friend mas mabuting contakin mo na para makatulong sila sa paghanap ng room. Unlike in the other countries na pwedeng siksikan ang mga Pinoy sa isang kwarto...hindi uso yan dito. May kanya-kanyang mga room ang mga Pinoy. But if you are new, pwede ka rin namang makitira muna sa kanila. Matulungin ang mga Pinoy saang parte man ng mundo so hwag mag-atubiling humingi ng tulong kung kinakailangan.

Ito talaga ang mahirap pag bago ka. Your credentials in the Philippines will not be much of help at the start. Kahit pa Engineer ka or anuman hindi automatic yon din agad ang trabaho mo pagdating mo dito. First and foremost, kumuha ka muna ng mga Social Identification Number (SIN) pagdating mo dito. If you do not have that, you can get work unless illegal ang work mong pasukan or what is commonly known here "under the table". Once you have that, pwede ka nang mag-apply at resume lang ang ipadala wala ng iba. And then depende sa resume mo, you may be called for an interview so from there it depends now on how you perform during the interview--parang Miss Earth lang din hahaha. And by the way, ang resume nila dito may sariling format---just 2 pages lang ang kailangan. Pag tatlong pages na--ligwak ganern na ang resume mo. There are various government-support groups for newly arrived immigrants where they will teach you all these things to prepare you for the job market. Take it and get advantage of it. It is free--just need your time and commitment.

If you come here as a skilled program--at gusto mong magtrabaho sa ibang higher skills. Yes you can study but I don't think it is a requirement. I mean if you have the experience they might hire you, but having a certificate as proof of your education and knowledge of the particular job really helps. About tuition di naman masyadong mahal sa Canadian standards of course if i-convert mo sa Pinas mahal siya kasi dollars dito. But there are various schools here mas madaling mag-aral dito kay sa Pinas daming requirements.

Day--free yan most of the locations. Punta ka lang sa library lahat libre don pati computer access, papers, printing, etc. Libraries are everywhere so take advantage of it.

Sa chinese ako kasi mas mora. Besides, bihira kang makakita ng Pinoy barbers here...Filipinos are not known to be working in this industry.

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE.
Geeyourhair

Date of Birth: 01 Jan 1995
Western Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Hobbies/Interests: social media

Postby beautywatchnyc » Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:23 pm

Settling in your country of work destination? Here are some practical tips: -

Please know that regardless of which country of destination you find yourself into, there's no such thing as a perfect place to live and to work. Brace yourself with the most fun-filled activities. In the absence of a caring yet inaccessible family support, homesickness creeps in.

With both excitement and euphoria gone, shore-up to the realities of an newly expatriated immigrant lifestyle:- bills to settle every end of the week, the gnawing unease when funds are running low, the emptiness being alone within your four walls, or of fear and insecurity when no one is around to listen and to care.

Cultural differences often lead to a cultural shock. It's lasting for a short while that you will adapt. Embrace the desirable facets of a foreign culture that enhance your persona. These imperatives must not impede your personal growth and career development.

Taxation charges could look stiff but depending on where you're at, tax shelters may be availed. At the end of the tax season, a personal income rebate accrues. Your tax contribution goes into the upkeep of public utilities and to other amenities which are the mainstays of a just society. Don't fret. Superb superhighways, road networks, police and fire protection, healthcare facilities, educational grants and the related government benefits redound to your welfare.

You might experience discrimination of sort in the work place or due to racial prejudice in your area of domicile. Learn how to deal with discrimination as professionals are wont to do.

Even if you reside with Pinoys in the same house, they might be working on punishing schedules that could differ from yours. Your house mates may not be around to offer solace when you need it most. It is imperative that you make adjustments and learn how to make both ends meet by yourself.

There are sad reports of Filipinos dragging fellow countrymen down when the success of the latter is imminent. Surround yourself with people you can trust. Watch out for the crabs.

Spend time to connect with friends and family back home regularly. Never mind the distance and time zone in-between. The internet is your friend and ally. Use your access time and get the most of your entitlement.

Go out and seek new friends. Retain the good and weed out the undesirables. Re-channel your energy into being productive in your free time. There are a thousand-and-one ways to rid the ennui. Balance your humdrum routine with engaging the true, good, and beautiful. Some good things can last at no cost to your own.

As an expatriated Filipino, the fun and adventure in your new place may accord feverish highs. But be reminded of the compelling reason why you got expatriated in the first place. Be mindful; not all compatriots who ventured in distant lands come home successful. There are hordes who, at the conclusion of their employment, de-mobilized with far too little savings and with many sad stories to tell.

Be observant yet cautious of the sensibilities, values and beliefs of the immediate neighborhood in your community.
Appreciate the changes as you see fit. Better to become a positive influencer than targeted as being an outcast.

Any voluntary violation of the local laws imperils your stay. Always be law abiding. As long as no infraction of the law is done, you are safe. You're away from the home turf; the applicable laws in the country of destination may differ largely from those you've been used back home. Ignorance of the local laws doesn't render you excusable.

Be an inspiration to others. How you manage your finances is your own business. Go for things that are primarily necessary as a matter of choice. Splurging on the non-essentials should be the least of your priority. Go the extra mile and save, save, save!

It serves to know that the feeling of helplessness may arise anytime; it pays to be discerning because all that is integral to an expatriated lifestyle. Don't give up easily.

Note: Over twenty (20) years of living and working across four (4) continents (including where I'm at now) has accorded me the ascendancy to self-actualize, all of which invaluable.

Here's wishing for the best on your journey!
Last edited by beautywatchnyc on Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:20 pm, edited 46 times in total.
beautywatchnyc

Real Life Name/Nick: david
Profession: HR Consultancy, Professional Cooking
Hobbies/Interests: Surfing D Net Cooking Travel Reading Pho2graphy

Postby Elmo0417 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:48 pm

Congratulations!!I Do not forget to bring your valid police clearance, More than enough cash, winter jackets, winter jackets and winter jackets again, the rest can be sorted out here as long as you persevere. Dont be scared to ask questions if you’re unsure about anything, locals are really nice (well not all, id say 90%). And oh did i say bring your winter jackets?? Oh yeah I did.. lol.. good luck and hope to see u here in Calgary!!
Elmo0417
NEWBIES are NEW members.
NEWBIES are NEW members.

Real Life Name/Nick: Elmo
Date of Birth: 17 Aug 1987
Sexual Orientation: -----------
Profession: Cartoon Character
Hobbies/Interests: Entertain Kids

Postby Elmo0417 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:58 pm

Congratulations!!I Do not forget to bring your valid police clearance, More than enough cash, winter jackets, winter jackets and winter jackets again, the rest can be sorted out here as long as you persevere. Dont be scared to ask questions if you’re unsure about anything, locals are really nice (well not all, id say 90%). And oh did i say bring your winter jackets?? Oh yeah I did.. lol.. good luck and hope to see u here in Calgary!!
Elmo0417
NEWBIES are NEW members.
NEWBIES are NEW members.

Real Life Name/Nick: Elmo
Date of Birth: 17 Aug 1987
Profession: Cartoon Character
Hobbies/Interests: Entertain Kids

Postby Bella14 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:50 pm

pm me. yoko magmaganda eh. im working in ontario property management. maybe i can you give some ideas

san ba destination. ontario ba? my mansion is open. just let me know.
petmalu, lodi, werpa!!! wag ka magmaganda kung chaka ka.
Bella14
PIONEERS are the most experienced members of Missosology.

Profession: nothing
Hobbies/Interests: nothing

Postby nycla2 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:58 pm

Bella14 wrote:pm me. yoko magmaganda eh. im working in ontario property management. maybe i can you give some ideas

MANSION OR PUSSY ? HAHA
nycla2
ENTERTAINERS are FUNNY people.

Real Life Name/Nick: booyah
Date of Birth: 21 Dec 1991
Profession: entrepreneur
Western Zodiac Sign: Scorpio
Chinese Zodiac: Dog
Hobbies/Interests: sports, music, movies and entertainment

Postby hauteegirl » Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:02 pm

Awwwww!!!! First time will always be the best time. This is the time of wonder. Makikita mo ang difference ng almost everything, weather, culture, iba ibang mukha ng tao. Over 25 years na ako sa US, now i feel like i was born here. It doesnt excite me anymore. But everytime i hear songs that were popular then ahhh the sudden rush of nostalgic memories flashes back and i miss that feeling.
hauteegirl

Real Life Name/Nick: Queen
Date of Birth: 14 Jan 2008
Profession: beauty queen
Hobbies/Interests: counting millions of $

Postby Bella14 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:18 pm

nycla2 wrote:
Bella14 wrote:pm me. yoko magmaganda eh. im working in ontario property management. maybe i can you give some ideas

MANSION OR PUSSY ? HAHA

both! hahaha loca ka talaga.
add moko IG @drewsales
Bella14

Postby nycla2 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:48 pm

hauteegirl wrote:Awwwww!!!! First time will always be the best time. This is the time of wonder. Makikita mo ang difference ng almost everything, weather, culture, iba ibang mukha ng tao. Over 25 years na ako sa US, now i feel like i was born here. It doesnt excite me anymore. But everytime i hear songs that were popular then ahhh the sudden rush of nostalgic memories flashes back and i miss that feeling.

Me too i have here in the u.s. 20 years it still excites me. Its a big country. Theres a lot places to explore still from hawaii to alaska , rockies to the florida keys nyc to la, hence my name nycla hehe. But yeah i have been to canada too its also beautiful . canadas prime minister ia hot too. North america as a whole is an amazing place. Theres no place like home tho, the Philippines.
nycla2

Postby nycla2 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:55 pm

Bella14 wrote:
nycla2 wrote:

MANSION OR PUSSY ? HAHA

add moko IG @drewsales

Cute mo pala bes sarap mong mahalin at e bottom
nycla2

Postby Bella14 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:50 pm

nycla2 wrote:
Bella14 wrote:
nycla2 wrote:

MANSION OR PUSSY ? HAHA

add moko IG @drewsales

Cute mo pala bes sarap mong mahalin at e bottom

olay hahaha toplesa ako. bottom daw pag ikaw charot!
Bella14

Postby hauteegirl » Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:26 pm

nycla2 wrote:
hauteegirl wrote:Awwwww!!!! First time will always be the best time. This is the time of wonder. Makikita mo ang difference ng almost everything, weather, culture, iba ibang mukha ng tao. Over 25 years na ako sa US, now i feel like i was born here. It doesnt excite me anymore. But everytime i hear songs that were popular then ahhh the sudden rush of nostalgic memories flashes back and i miss that feeling.

Me too i have here in the u.s. 20 years it still excites me. Its a big country. Theres a lot places to explore still from hawaii to alaska , rockies to the florida keys nyc to la, hence my name nycla hehe. But yeah i have been to canada too its also beautiful . canadas prime minister ia hot too. North america as a whole is an amazing place. Theres no place like home tho, the Philippines.

i know what u mean but the feeling of being the 1st is not there anymore like the thick foggy day at 12noon in Daly City, the ever changing holidays, thanksgiving, halloween, everchanging weather/climate and seasonal attire. at tska an daming gwapo kada lingon mo nasa atin artista lang.. lol dito kahit nasa bustop ka lang juzmio, or nasa bathroom ka lang ng mall, sinehan, maglakad sa beach, maglakad sa rodeo drive me mga artista na wala lang, lols, at mga artista na nagsashop sa beverly center, or very hot/cold weather sa vegas.. hayy.. sarap ng feeling maging bago. :%))
hauteegirl

Real Life Name/Nick: Queen
Date of Birth: 14 Jan 2008
Profession: beauty queen
Hobbies/Interests: counting millions of $

Postby nycla2 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:30 pm

hauteegirl wrote:
nycla2 wrote:

i know what u mean but the feeling of being the 1st is not there anymore like the thick foggy day at 12noon in Daly City, the ever changing holidays, thanksgiving, halloween, everchanging weather/climate and seasonal attire. at tska an daming gwapo kada lingon mo nasa atin artista lang.. lol dito kahit nasa bustop ka lang juzmio, or nasa bathroom ka lang ng mall, sinehan, maglakad sa beach, maglakad sa rodeo drive me mga artista na wala lang, lols, at mga artista na nagsashop sa beverly center, or very hot/cold weather sa vegas.. hayy.. sarap ng feeling maging bago. :%))

true, daming good looking talaga, kahit waiter, construction worker at iba pa and they are either white, black , latino, middle eastern or halfies.. i love daly city, pag pupunta ako ng san francisco i always go to daly city to get some jollibee and go to seafood city hehe
nycla2

Postby sapient_101 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:40 pm

Congratulations!!! You will love Canada, yes even the cold and the snow. Just embrace winter and you will be okay.

I was lucky enough to be provided with a free apartment for one month by my employer. I was hired directly from the Philippines so medyo iba ang kaso ko dahil hindi ako immigrant nung dumating dito. For markets like Toronto and Vancouver, and maybe Calgary, they may ask for references and/or credit check. Since bago ka lang, definitely wala ka pa niyan dito. Maybe consider renting a room first. You can visit kijiji.com (just select which city your're going) and find room rentals. Mas makakamura ka and you don't have to lock yourself for one year lease. Usually kasi dito, isang taon ang contract. Pag room rental, typically month-to-month ang bayad. Also, you will get a chance to know the city you will be living in a bit better, hence giving you the opportunity to choose a more permanent place that fits you -- whether proximity to your work, to downtown or to entertainment.

Definitely bring a resume. Back when I was a newbie in the job market sa Pilipinas, it was a common practice to attach a picture in your resume and print it in fancy paper. Haha. Don't know if that is still happening there now, but here in Canada, no need for pictures or fancy paper. Plain white paper is fine. Bring your transcript (have it translated in English if it's in Filipino), your diplomas too (have it translated too if in Filipino, just like my university diploma), and yes employer certifications. They wouldn't require you to give these documents at the onset, but after interview and they want to pursue your application, they could ask you for these.

I am fortunate enough that I was hired directly by a company here in Canada, so I did not do any additional studies. However, I have friends from university who also came here and they had to either take a Canadian certification (if you are in a profession that is regulated like Accounting / Architecture / Engineering) or take new courses altogether. I am not sure how much the tuition fees are, but since you are already an immigrant, you can take comfort to the fact that you will not be paying international student rates. You can check out websites of colleges and universities sa city na pupuntahan mo. They publish the rates there, so you will have a better idea. Rates vary depending on province, city and even the school itself. Universities and colleges in Quebec tend to be cheaper as compared to the rest of Canada, but you have to be Quebec resident and of course you have to be able to speak French. Colleges are cheaper than universities, so check them as well.

LOL! Talagang pati wifi ha. There are few hotspots where it is free, but in general you have to pay. And mostly sa mga cafes lang to or minsan sa mall. Here in Western Canada, you get free wifi if you are a subscriber of Shaw, a certain cellphone provider. They have a number of hotspots around my city. Pero kung sa kalaban ka, sorry wala kang free wifi. You need to subscribe to an internet service provider to be able to access internet at home. Internet is fast and has become cheaper as compared to ten years ago.

Grooming privileges? Anong klaseng privilege? LOL. I don't go to Filipino barbershops. I go to a mall-based barber (Tommy Gunn's). It's a bit expensive (39 +tax), but I only go every quarter so okay na rin.

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE.

Good luck and bienvenue au Canada! There will be challenges for sure, but in no time, you will realize how great this country is.
sapient_101

Date of Birth: 01 Jan 1982
Profession: -
Hobbies/Interests: books... movies...

Postby Sophia7 » Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:35 am

Just go for a vacation for a week to get acquainted with. Then when you find some friends to stay, you can go back to stay longer.

I have a friend in Ontario and might rent an extra room to some kababayan. She works in Chicago, here in the U.S., so she may need someone to watch her home. But she is so picky and she has a younger brother about 35 years old and is single. hahaha
Sophia7
ELITES are highly regarded as FINEST posters of Missosology.

Date of Birth: 08 Nov 1992
Profession: Software Engineer/Lawyer to be!
Western Zodiac Sign: Taurus
Hobbies/Interests: Missosologying?, Shopping, Play Games and Misso

Postby Ramboy » Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:43 am

Most of the Missos here answered your query with all their hearts and knowledge. Let us know where ka pupunta as missos are everywhere in Canada. We can be of help.
Ramboy

Date of Birth: 08 Mar 1981
Hobbies/Interests: Surfing

Postby iamkenmotion » Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:49 am

good luck to your journey.
iamkenmotion
PROFESSIONALS are DIPLOMATIC and QUALITY posters.
PROFESSIONALS are DIPLOMATIC and QUALITY posters.

Date of Birth: 25 Jun 1992
Profession: law student
Hobbies/Interests: million interest

Postby lenpark » Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:30 am

Congratulations!

Canada is an amazing country! Marami kang mamee-meet na tao from different cultures. Lalo na mga pilipino. And may nagcomment na nga about churches. Maraming churches dito sa Toronto (kung dito ka man pupunta) na maraming members na pilipino. I'm sure matutulungan ka nila to give you ideas about Canada.

I moved here with my parents and already PR (Permanent Resident) nung nagmove ako since underage pa ako nung nag PR si mama. Sa mga lower paying jobs, usually ang hinihingi nila is just resume. If ever matanggap ka, kailangan mo iprovide SIN (Social Insurance Number) mo. Pero kung may makikilala kang mga pilipino dito, I'm sure matutulungan ka nila makahanap ng trabaho (it's all about connections).

Place to stay, still i'm not sure kung sa toronto ka lilipat, pero sa toronto maraming apartments na pwede ka marent. Big city ang Toronto, kaya medyo mahal. Pero maraming nearby suburbs (Mississauga, Oakville, Burlington etc.) na medyo mas affordable since outside the city. Pwede ka rin makahanap ng mga pilipino na nagrerent ng townhouse/apartment for example, and magrent ng kwarto, which will be way cheaper instead of paying for a whole apartment.

Studies, ang alam ko if nakatapos ka sa Pilipinas, kailangan mo ulit mag-aral dito para mag-upgrade. It's very possible na mag-aral and magwork at the same time since you can study part-time and mag work when you're not in school (or the other way around). Kung permanent resident ka dadating dito, you can apply for OSAP, student loan sya na pwede mo hiramin from the government, then when you graduate, babayaran mo sya monthly.

WIFI, mabilis promise haha. Maraming establishment na nagooffer ng free wifi especially coffee shops. So kung nasa city ka, hindi ka maliligaw agad agad since pwede ka lang mag-connect sa wifi, tapos google maps mo na lang kung saan ka man pupunta.

Hopefully these will help! Congrats ulit and good luck! :!!
lenpark

Real Life Name/Nick: Len
Date of Birth: 20 Apr 1995
Profession: Student
Western Zodiac Sign: Taurus
Chinese Zodiac: Pig
Hobbies/Interests: Painting, Drawing

Postby bcdf1930 » Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:27 pm

I WATCHED A YOUTUBE VIDEO IN WHICH SOMEONE WAS TELLING YOU WOULD NEED CANADIAN WORK EXPERIENCE FOR APPLYING FOR JOBS! PLEASE RESEARCH :-*
bcdf1930

Real Life Name/Nick: Anonymous:)
Date of Birth: 23 Nov 1984
Sexual Orientation: Gay
Profession: IT professional
Western Zodiac Sign: Sagittarius
Hobbies/Interests: Reading books, browsing Internet

Postby Violeta Urduja » Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:27 pm

Pag isipan mo ng 100 beses !
Sure ka ba na kaya mong mawalay sa mga loved ones and relatives moh !
Kaya mo bang mag start by yourselves without any family or trusted friends around !
Kakayanin mo bang mag isa at maging matatag pag may dumating na problema !

HIndi mo ba mamimiss ang traffic sa Edsa, yung ngarag na mga LRT,
yung mabahong baha sa kalye, yung tsismosa mong kapitbahay,
yung mga adik, holdaper, snatcher at riding in tandem sa mga daan,
yung bagyo, brown out, bulok na jeep at masasarap na pagkain tuwing fiesta,
yung mga makukulit na inaanak mo tuwing pasko, yung saya, ingay at
makapal na usok tuwing bagong taon, yung mga bakla mong kaibigan na
mahilig tumawa, magsaya, rumampa, humada at umeksena sa kalye,
at yung friendly smiles and hospitality ng karamihan ng mga pinoys!

Sabi nila, medyo iba ang culture sa ibang bansa, kadalasan hindi nag uusap ang mga neighbors,
kadalasan kapwa pinoy mo ang hihila sayo pababa, mahilig kasi silang kumain ng crab,
At may mga lugar din na may racial discrimination....

Dont forget, hindi ka mag iimigrant dyan to have a vacation grande,
kakayod ka pa rin at magtatrabaho diyan !
Ang tanong, at the end of the day, masasabi mo bang masaya ka !

ANOHHH,,, KAYA MO BA !!!???

The best things in life aren't things...

Last edited by Violeta Urduja on Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:43 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Violeta Urduja

Date of Birth: 08 Dec 1993
Profession: Travel Guide
Hobbies/Interests: Dancing
Message: The first principle of a free society is an untrammeled flow of words in an open forum.

Postby Pepot Tugak Havatiti » Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:32 pm

Uyyyyy vakz, sama mo naman ako dyan [-O< madami daw dyang mahahabang matatabang makakatas na nueve pulgadas na tender juicy hoootttdddooogggsss :%))
Pepot Tugak Havatiti

Date of Birth: 12 Aug 1990
Sexual Orientation: Not sure
Profession: Singer
Western Zodiac Sign: Leo
Hobbies/Interests: Singing
Message: The male organ is like gossip…it passes from mouth to mouth.

Postby Charina Mae Echosera » Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:56 pm

Ayyyy nakuhhh Violeta, mas masarap pa rin sa ibang bansa, hindi maarte ang mga lalake, di gaya dyan sa Pilipinas, kailangan ka munang gumastos, pakainin sa jolibee, bumili ng damit, sapatos, cellphone, motorbike at kung anek anek pah para ka lang mahalin ng mga lalakeng yan, eehhh kay liliit naman ng mga nota at mga nakahilata lang naman noh, X( X( X( ni ayaw pang dilaan yang naninigas mong utong at maluwang mong puday sa likod noh... :%)) :%)) :%)) Ang masaklap pahhh, eh pag butas na ang wallet moh eh babooossshhh ka na sa mga ombreng yan noh ! =O/

Dito sa forenger countries eh bonggang bongahhhh kahhh day, wala ng kuskus balungos, pag tipelya ka ng lalake eh kangkangan kagad to the max, as in magdamagan ever ang jugjugan,,, utot lang pahinga mo teh... :%)) :%)) :%)) Walang kaarte arte ang mga lalake dito inday, at bukod sa lahat eh SUPER KALALAKE, KAHAHABA, KATATABA AT KAY KAKATAS NG MGA TUBO NILA ateng.... =;)) =;)) =;)) =;)) =;)) =;)) =;)) =;)) =;)) =;)) =;)) =;)) =;)) =;)) =;)) =;)) :!! :%)) :!!

Last edited by Charina Mae Echosera on Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:56 pm, edited 8 times in total.
Charina Mae Echosera

Date of Birth: 03 Feb 1995
Profession: Rampadora
Western Zodiac Sign: Aquarius
Hobbies/Interests: Echuzan Eklavuh
Message: Excuse me, ako malandi?! Pwes mas mabuti na ang malanding lantad kesa patagong laspag.

Postby gina cole » Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:45 pm

Welcome to North America, I came to the US at 23 over 28 years ago. kahit na may kasama akong mga Filipino, I still left my family and friends behind. Magkahalong excitement at kaba ang feeling. Excited to live and work in New York city pero kabado to be away from support system. wala pang skype at facebook noon, Long distance calls were $1.99 per minute. it was normal lang na mag spend kami ng $300 a month on overseas calls and I even have friends who spend over $ 1 K on AT&T in amonth . Letters take 2 weeks to arrive from the Philippines and vice versa. Now I am looking forward to retire in the Philippines . You will be fine, ang daming Pinoys sa Canada and it is a beautiful country, just be ready for the very cold winters. with the help of internet di ka ma homesick.
gina cole

Real Life Name/Nick: gina
Date of Birth: 01 Jan 1965
Profession: Call girl
Hobbies/Interests: Travelling , Shopping

Postby Dona Chichay Del Aruray » Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:03 pm

kalokahhh ka Charina, wala kang kahilig hilig =;)) =;)) =;))

SMILE, it irritates those who wish to destroy you.
Dona Chichay Del Aruray

Date of Birth: 17 Mar 1983
Profession: Jeweler
Western Zodiac Sign: Pisces
Hobbies/Interests: Silvery Gold
Message: In life, there are no permanent friends or permanent enemies, only permanent interests.

Next

Return to GENERAL