Miss Universe’17:The GOOD, The BAD, The UGLY &The BEAUTIFUL

Miss Universe’17:The GOOD, The BAD, The UGLY &The BEAUTIFUL

Postby UNO - God of Beauty » Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:45 am

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Well, it’s been a fabulous 2017 as it opened with the 65th Miss Universe in January where my Queen Iris Mittenaere ended the 63 years drought for France. And just last night, her 10 month reign has come to an end. Two editions of Miss Universe this year, and I can’t wait for the next edition, I heard coming September 2018.

First, let me congratulate Iris for a job well done. She remained classy, humble, hard working, passionate and sincere. I was very fortunate to have seen her in person and interviewed her during her homecoming. And yes, she truly made France proud. So Kudos to you.

Let me start my review with the Goods:

What a great way to start the GOOD(s) with the return of the iconic Mikimoto Crown to Miss Universe. No more Kryptonian French Fries crown, yahoo!

IMG, after 3 editions has managed to be true with their brand. The stage and approach since 2015 is pretty cohesive. Of course, there were some minors changes like:
2015 , Top 15 were selected
2016, only Top 13 were selected
2017, the introduction of 4 Continental Semifinalists in each Regional Miss Universe Divisions with the additional 4 Wildcards making it Top 16 (This is part of the BAD I will discuss later though)

The stage is also similar from their past 2 editions making it very Miss Universe IMG era. It’s good in my opinion. It’s like finding an specific visual, and owning it. Like when you go to Louis Vuitton shops, you know it’s Louis Vuitton; or when you go to Kenzo, you instantly got the Kenzo vibe.

That’s how I can describe Miss Universe now. Kudos. The stage LED panels and backgrounds with all these 3D effects were all fabulous. I know it’s expensive.

Steve Harvey is also very good. I love that fact that he’s like the new Bob Barker. Having Steve as their host for 3 consecutive years now makes the show very family oriented. It feels like, “Yeah, Uncle Steve is coming tonight for the family dinner and he will be just hilarious.”

Lu, Carson and Ashley were also doing their job superbly. I love that they were giving their views. Lu Sierra spent time with these girls, and I like that she was honest about her observations all throughout.

Isn’t it a deja vu moment for Carson Kressley? He was as well a commentator when Zuleyka won. This year, Demi and her gown gave me that Zuleyka-ish vibe.

SemiFinalists were given the chance to strut one by one unlike last year - this is good but it can be done better.

All the songs used were beautiful. They were setting the ambiance very good.

Fergie’s performance and the song she performed were on point.

Pleasant surprises were Ghana, China and Sri Lanka. The only placement Sri Lanka had was over six decades ago when they were still Ceylon. Beautiful Miss Sri Lanka indeed. I remember Ghana placing with Miriam Quiambao in 1999. I felt this Ghana will place in the top 10. Her boobs might be giggling but she was exuding confidence. China’s inclusion as wildcard pick was a game changer. Fierce gal. I was hoping for Indonesia and Angola to place too. Indeed, these Asians and African were joy to watch.

Laura’s (Colombia) interview with Steve during the Top 16 announcement was a joy to watch. She’s very charming, dynamic, and assertive. Monalysa’s (Brazil) moment with Steve was touching. It made me crave for more of Monalysa. I find her very sincere, down to Earth and kind hearted.

Thailand addressing Steve as “Harvey” was cute.

Demi’s styling and make up was a breath of fresh air as it was highlighting her beautiful face. She reminds me of Lucy Hale and Margot Robbie. Stunning!

Another queen that gave me chills was Keysi Sayago. Damn, she looked every inch a queen. That styling she sported was her best style to date. She’s mesmerizing. Oh, did I just forgot that she is representing VENEZUELA, the only legit pageant powerhouse in the universe and beyod?! Amazing transformation indeed.

Miss Jamaica was giving me that 70’s vibe and I love it. This year, majority of black candidates wore yellow gown. But Davina’s yellow caped number was exquisite. Clearly, she represented all the women in color proudly. Just like in 2014 (Kaci Fennell), Davina instantly became this year’s crowd favorite. Too bad, Jamaica hasn’t produced any Miss Universe winner yet.

The most beautiful gown at the finals was Thailand’s gown. It was exquisite and true to their Miss Thailand brand. However, it was the gown wearing her. Unlike South Africa, her gown felt a bit dated but she was wearing it confidently. I don’t mind that it looks like a bit Dynasty-ish. Demi’s face, her neck, those smizings, and her hair bun all worked on her advantage. It didn’t over power her. Our eyes were so glued to her best weapon, her face.

I hate of course the regional selection. Like in the case of The Americas, North America felt like favored as Canada and USA (the biggest territories in America) took the half of the 4.

I know there were other Latinas that were left out. Peru and Mexico were robbed bigtime. I felt these countries were better than Canada and USA. But we all know, USA wears the USA sash, so it’s given. Maybe Canada did really well in the interview. So I hope we can now understand how the likes of Karren Ibasco can win Miss Earth. Miss Universe are giving way much credits with intelligence too.

However, the exclusion of Indonesia made me sad. There’s this thought inside my head asking, “What if it is the traditional Top 16? Will she place?”. I bet she will.

The girls whom I felt were robbed bigtime in Europe were Russia, Germany and Iceland.

Swimsuit Parade was too fast. We can’t really see these girls fully. Sometimes, as they make their turns, the cameras were not getting their best moments.

What is your thoughts about the Top 5 Q and A? Do you find it fair to given a random question and it’s the IMG who chose a question for you? If you are given a question about Sexual Harassment and Terrorism, they you’re lucky. I think, they should allow these girls to choose a question in a bowl. At least, you chose your own fate.

Watching the live telecast, when USA was called in the top 16, she was giving this bitchy look that was meant to be her version of smizing. The people watching next to me felt she was cocky the whole time. And during her interview with Steve, USA was selling herself way too much. Girl, not today. Yes, we all know your credentials. She came across like a self-serving bitch. Uh-oh

Is it a bad thing that this year, none of the countries who won last year placed this year? Ecuador failed to place in Miss Earth, same with the Philippines at Miss International; No Puerto Rican representative for Miss World this year because of the hurricanes that affected the island, and sadly, the French momentum since Flora Coquerel vanished as Alicia Aylies failed to place at Miss Universe.

How “ugly” it is to watch the European contingency walking like dead during the Swimsuit segment.

I mean, other girls are hungry for that opportunity to strut in a Miss Universe stage. It was indeed a let down. I even told my friends, it’s likely going to be a European wipe out. These are the moments wherein I wish Peru, Mexico, Korea and Indonesia were in the Top 16.

Reese Witherspoon’s dead ringer, Ireland, was unexpected. I think Croatia’s inclusion was only to show curvy women can still place in honor of Ashley Graham. I think, they were thinking, “Oh let’s put a plus sized queen to show variety and to let people see that we celebrate all shapes and forms.” But seriously?

I don’t know, but it felt very off when Miss Universe highlighted Miss Iraq’s story. Joining the green zone and servicing with the Americans is a big joke. Did US found the so called “weapon of mass destruction” in Iraq anyway? We all know US attacked this nation because of this “reason”. These Americans ruined many lives of innocent Iraqis. They destroyed their homes, their schools, their place of worship, and basically wiped out a place that was once called from our history book as “Mesopotamia”. Aren’t these Americans ashame? Next editions, there will be stories about Miss Syria and Miss Afghanistan for sure!

From time to time, we would hear terminologies that are WTF. This year, “Aging Population” made me crazy.

I am not Thai, but I felt hurt when Maria failed to make it in the top 3. Admit it, she was indeed giving those girls a good fight. Her beauty is very regal. At some point, I believed she’s “the one” that night.

Wearing a beautiful white gown from French designer Stephane Rolland, Iris showed us the real definition of high fashion. Isn’t she divine?

Then she came back with dramatic Michael Cinco red ombré Swarovski crystals couture gown. Indeed, since her yellow preliminary gown, to her winning gold gown, to this finale gown of hers, Iris truly made mark and proved the Universe that you can never take away the French opulence in her. Truly queenly.

The ladies who wowed me in the Swimsuit Competition were Venezuela, Brazil and the Philippines. Keysi was teaching us pasarela 101; Monalysa was exuding that sexy latin vibe; while Rachel was serving legs for the gods.

This round, I am giving the Best in Swimsuit to Miss Philippines.

Another beautiful thing that happened was seeing Miss Japan bagging the Best in National Costume. In 2006, Kurara Chibana gave Japan the same award. Congratulations to Miss Panama too for winning Miss Congeniality.

One thing I felt very moving was Miss South Africa’s video. It was indeed traumatic yet she managed to turn the table and capitalized on the fact that fear can be disseminated by using a platform that empowers women.

Kindly swipe to the fourth video to see Demi’s entry.

Jamaica’s answer in both rounds were also impressive. She’s the Miss Haiti from last year’s edition. What I love about her is that she managed to incorporate her advocacy in helping the deaf mute. My Colombian friend who was watching next to me felt Davina started strong but ended up with a propaganda. Maybe that’s how other judges felt too. But as for me, here answer only showed how driven she is about what she is passionate about.

And that made Davina not just confidently beautiful, but very inspiring, too.

But of course, we can never count out the exquisite response given by Demi at the final Q and A.

She was indeed in her best fighting form. Since the start of the show, I can’t help but be mesmerized by her beauty. It was a big comeback indeed for her from her disappointing prelims. And yes, she came with her big guns up until the moment where she is needed to shine her brightest. She was like bam.. bam... bam... BAM... BAAAAAAMMMM!

The crowning of Demi made me emotional. She was bursting to tears and Iris was also teary eyed. What a beautiful moment indeed. Two beautiful queens, sharing one of the surreal moment - one is leaving, the other one has just realized that her life will be changing forever. Iris, thank you for a wonderful 10 months. And Demi, may your reign be as fruitful, affecting, and inspiring just like with Pia and Iris.

Overall, I can say that it was a great show. The continental groupings ruined most of our Hotpicks. I dunno when did they come up with such idea. I am certain it ruined a lot of the gameplays of the other candidates. My heart bleeds for Mexico, Russia and Indonesia.

Top 16 has many both pleasant and unpleasant surprises. I felt Canada looks too thin. If there’s something I will change, I’ll put Russia and Germany instead of Ireland and Croatia. Though yes, nice to hear countries with weak sashes to place though.

Top 10 was solid. If I will replace someone, I’ll remove USA and Canada and will replace China and Ghana. Did you noticed, all girls from America managed to penetrate the Top 10? While 3 Europeans and 3 from Asia and Africa were ousted. Hmmmm.

Top 5 was crazy scary. My heart feels Philippines should be there and not Colombia. I do not know if IMG promised Colombia to place in the top 3 for the next 10 years after the 2015 fiasco.

Top 3. This time Colombia is deserving after giving a satisfying answer in the top 5. People started to root for Jamaica. All of us will always cheer for the underdog. It’s even funny, us friends were asking where or hiw to put the crown to Jamaica’s head.

I have no problem with the placements. There can only be one winner. South Africa is the BEST CHOICE.

But, did you noticed?

Since the beginning, MUO has given both Thailand and South Africa the best exposures and interviews since they arrived? It felt like they were already training these two if ever one of them will win. Did we just missed it how IMG was grooming their favorites. They even posted their videos first. Hmmm.., just throwing shades here so you too my dear readers would have something to ponder about.

And girls, a lot of us were inspired by those different advocacies. But after Miss Universe, how many of them do you think will continue being involved or will remain committed to their causes? Or it’s just really for a show and majority were just really good and convincing speakers? Do they also need to wear their sashes while doing their charities? It’s making me off actually as I do not care if they are doing it for publicity purposes.

I think, these girls should have their charities going even before joining their local or national pageants. In some odd ways, we can’t help but think things like: “What if Demi wasn’t “hijacked”, kidnapped, nor taken? What advocacy will she present at Miss Universe?”

Anyway, in the end, maybe these girls already have their ideas in mind on which causes to be involved with. It’s just that as a normal human being, it is diffecult as they do not have the machineries to make things happen. Beauty Pageant indeed is a platform so that their voices can be heard, and their crown can easily be a symbol in inspiring other people. Now, Demi’s advocacy is about empowering women, teaching self defense and showing these victims that they can be truly “unbreakable”, equipped, and ready to defend themselves. And I believe, this is very timely, relevant and can truly help many women in the universe. So hats off to you Demi.

ImageImage
UNO - God of Beauty
PAGEANT EXPERTS are MASTERS & PROFESSIONAL ANALYSTS of pageantry.

Real Life Name/Nick: Uno
Date of Birth: 13 Jun 1984
Profession: Airline Staff
Western Zodiac Sign: Gemini
Hobbies/Interests: surfin, travelin

Re: Miss Universe’17 The GOOD, The BAD, The UGLY &The BEAUTI

Postby stryker1202 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:01 am

looooovvvvveeeeee the review of UNO
stryker1202
ELITES are highly regarded as FINEST posters of Missosology.

Postby Dreamboat » Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:36 am

As always, A1 review Uno. As for Ms South Africa being Ms Universe 2017 is very deserving but for most South Africans, it is bittersweet. You know what I mean.
Dreamboat

Real Life Name/Nick: Edward
Date of Birth: 14 Feb 1984
Sexual Orientation: Asexual
Profession: Nurse
Western Zodiac Sign: Aquarius
Chinese Zodiac: Rabbit
Hobbies/Interests: Reading

Postby babycakes55 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:46 am

This was a beautiful read! It resonates with the majority opinion here.

A few things I'd like to add:
I agree Europe is lacking. I would rather have seen Peru, Mexico, or France. However, I was happy to see Miss Croatia there.

And I can't agree more with your last part. I'm not saying the pageant is rigged but IMG definitely favors some girls more than others to win the crown. We've seen it in Miss USA '16 when Deshauna was asked a question about the military. We saw it in Miss USA '17 when Kára was given CHI exposures. We saw it in Miss Universe when Demi's video was one of the first to be posted, when she was featured in the Yamamay swimsuit pictures and those talk segments after commercials. I'm not saying she's undeserving but IMG saw a girl that fit the job (which I agree with) which probably led to better treatment.
"There is no need to imitate any man in order to be at their level. We are all created equal."

-Keysi Sayago, Miss Universe Venezuela 2016
babycakes55

Real Life Name/Nick: Michael
Date of Birth: 07 Jul 1996
Sexual Orientation: Gay
Profession: Student
Western Zodiac Sign: Virgo
Chinese Zodiac: Rat
Hobbies/Interests: Swimming, Drawing, Reading

Postby ezooey » Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:57 am

I agree with most of your points! First, I'd like to say that since IMG took over MUO, it's been a sh*tfest of shoving their political agenda down our throats. There have been "token" candidates advancing in each round just to show how "inclusive" Miss Universe is.

In IMG's first year, it was Miss Japan. With her backstory of being one of the very few biracial people in Japan, she was right on the ticket with MUO's SJW checklist. She didn't at least perform to task, but she also basically STOLE a spot from more worthy candidates!

Last year, the token candidates were Miss USA and Miss Canada. First, Miss USA got there because of sash factor, pure and simple. She was neither stunning nor a catwalk queen. She over sold herself to the point of making me puke at how she is an active military officer. Bish, ALMOST ALL candidates from Israel are or have served in the military, some actually did or are doing more than just your desk job, but you don't hear them harping about it like it's the only point of their existence! Also, who can't forget Miss Canada from last year? The bish can't shut up about how she is proud of how she looks, how healthy she is, and how people should "accept and love their curves". So many words from a HYPOCRITE, seeing that she's competed in several pageants where she was actually in tip top shape! Basically she got lazy and probably figured out she had no chance at the crown, and smart as she is, figured that she could take advantage of the recent political and social climate by branding herself as a "self-love" advocate. Pia is curvy, and TONED! Miss Canada is just plain fat and lazy.

This year's token candidates are Miss USA (AGAIN!), Miss Croatia, Miss Ghana, Miss Sri Lanka (and I forgot who else, I'll update later when I remember). Miss USA again with the sash factor and the snoozefest, vomit-inducing over marketing of how she is a scientist. My question is, aside from that, what else you got, Miss USA???? She was bland, uncharismatic and undeserving of her slot. Miss Croatia, has anybody noticed she's a Toni Braxton look-a-like? Another "curvy" candidate who couldn't walk, didn't have any charm, but got through by sheer virtue of being the "curviest" candidate in this year's edition. Miss Ghana and Miss Sri Lanka, anyone with half a brain knows that if it weren't for the selection by regions, they wouldn't be there at all.

UNPOPULAR OPINION: Miss Jamaica didn't deserve her place as well. I just couldn't for the life of me figure out what the judges saw in her. She wasn't stunning, her walk was blah, and aside from the bright color of her dress, there wasn't anything else that made her stand out for me. Was it because she was a black girl sporting her "natural hair"? First, what is it with MUO and all this propaganda??? Making a big deal out of nothing. If your natural hair was a shade of vomit green, frizzy and sometimes slither like snakes, then I would praise you for "wearing your natural hair". Otherwise, it's nothing to make such a big deal about. Miss Brazil and Miss France have been wearing their hair au naturale but no one seems to praise them for that. All this marketing for an undeserving black candidates. This year's Miss Jamaica is no Kaci Fennell nor Yendi Phillips. She was another over-marketed, over-sold black girl who fit the SJW mold of MUO.

I was disappointed by Miss Philippines' exclusion from the Top 5. She should've been there instead of Miss Jamaica.

Lastly, Miss SA had been highlighted all throughout the pageant. During the video packs of group discussions, they basically showed THE SAME GROUP with Miss SA taking over the conversation. It's like they've chosen their winner even before the pageant began! *wink*

Nonetheless, Miss SA is a worthy winner. Would've liked it better to have a Peters vs Peters in the Top 2. Miss SA looks every bit the winners of the IMG era: unexpected, beauty queen look but not cut out from the mold. Cheers!
ezooey
PROFESSIONALS are DIPLOMATIC and QUALITY posters.
PROFESSIONALS are DIPLOMATIC and QUALITY posters.

Date of Birth: 21 Dec 2008
Profession: none
Western Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Chinese Zodiac: Tiger
Hobbies/Interests: nothing

Re: Miss Universe’17:The GOOD, The BAD, The UGLY &The BEAUTI

Postby markita » Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:53 am

Loved it. :hx
Dear, drink up. Image
markita

Date of Birth: 26 Jul 1983
Profession: Beauty Pageant Expert
Western Zodiac Sign: Leo
Hobbies/Interests: Films, Pageantry & Literature

Postby Archisexure » Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:58 am

Sana Ganyan palagi Gown ng mga Miss Philippines sa mga international Pageants...
Archisexure
PIONEERS are the most experienced members of Missosology.

Date of Birth: 18 Nov 2008
Profession: Architect
Western Zodiac Sign: Scorpio
Chinese Zodiac: Snake
Hobbies/Interests: Architectural Design

Postby cindy_kato » Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:49 am

Bad

1. Miss Universe Canada Org sending wrong and alarming message to the world, first by sending a lazy fat cow in January and an anorexic blonde in November.
2. Colombia's over the top facial expression and presentation. Just like Shandi said, it looks like as if an electronic dildo is going in and out of her vajayjay.
3. Colombian queens being so full of themselves in answering the final question.
4. Lu Sierra, the alien looking commentator who keeps on hyping Thailand.

Besides, I highly doubt that Philippines, Venezuela and even Jamaica are really wildcard contestants. With regards to Philippines, MUO just knew how to toy with their biggest fanbase.

Also, Miriam Quiambao competed in 1999 not in 1991.
Last edited by cindy_kato on Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I maybe easy, but I'm not cheap!" -- Aubrey Miles, from the movie Singles
cindy_kato

Real Life Name/Nick: Maldito
Date of Birth: 03 May 1983
Sexual Orientation: Not sure
Profession: Gangster
Chinese Zodiac: Pig
Hobbies/Interests: Misso

Postby Jaishee » Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:51 am

Nice review! The edition was one of the best Miss Universe edition to date. If not for the superb production, this edition would be a so-so.
I really thought Russia would place for Europe, she is the strongest Miss Russia since Irina in 2010! I'm super shocked with her exclusion.
Indonesia and Mexico's unplacements are not so shocking for me, they are known to have a communication water-loo.
It didn't shock me to see Croatia and Canada's placements, both have compelling advocacy and are good communicators.
Great Britain deserved her placement. Best Brit since 2013.
So happy for Ghanaand Sri Lanka's placement, they brought freshness throughout.
I already had a feeling Philippines won't make it to the Top 5 after EG :%(( All of the Top 10 were there to bring it!
Spain killed her chances with that EG lol
I was rooting for Thailand in the Top 5 to win, but sadly just like her sister Fahsai, she bombed her Q&A so bad.
Hands down to Venezuela, one of the top performers of the night!
Colombia was too much!
I thought Jamaica and SA would be the final 2, Jamaica should've been the first runner up.
Congratulations, South Africa! Deserving winner, she'll have a wonderful reign for sure.
I can't believe I could say this, but I'll really miss Iris! :%(( :%(( :%((
Jaishee
CORRESPONDENTS are OFFICIAL pageant REPORTERS & PHOTOGRAPHERS of Missosology.
CORRESPONDENTS are OFFICIAL pageant REPORTERS & PHOTOGRAPHERS of Missosology.

Real Life Name/Nick: Jaishee
Date of Birth: 08 Mar 1989
Sexual Orientation: Straight
Profession: Physical Therapist Student
Western Zodiac Sign: Pisces
Chinese Zodiac: Tiger
Hobbies/Interests: Pageants

Postby Llyod Carnegie » Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:29 pm

Reading the review, it leaves me wondering as to
how many were the times the writer was denied an American visa..
hark hark hark

Nice read.
Llyod Carnegie
MISSOSOLOGISTS are OFFICIALLY part of the MISSOSOLOGY FAMILY.

Real Life Name/Nick: Llyod Carnegie
Date of Birth: 01 Jan 1986
Profession: Meteorologist, RN
Chinese Zodiac: Ox
Hobbies/Interests: Fashion, Sex, Movies

Postby UNO - God of Beauty » Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:43 pm

Llyod Carnegie wrote:
hark hark hark

Nice read.

Dear, I know majority of Filipinos dream of going to US. They were raised with that great American dream. We have a house in Napa Valley. My mom resides there for more than 20 years. My dad lives in Canada. But I chose to live in Europe. You drive from California and you will end up Nevada, Arizona and other States. You drive from France, then you will be in Belgium, Netherlands, Luxembourg, Switzerland, Germany, Italy, Andorra or Spain to name a few. Or take the Eurostar and in 2 hours, you are in London. It will then be another country with different traditions, culture, food, even different men to choose from. So yeah, I am good here. Thanks.

ImageImage
UNO - God of Beauty

Postby UNO - God of Beauty » Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:45 pm

ezooey wrote:I agree with most of your points! First, I'd like to say that since IMG took over MUO, it's been a sh*tfest of shoving their political agenda down our throats. There have been "token" candidates advancing in each round just to show how "inclusive" Miss Universe is.

In IMG's first year, it was Miss Japan. With her backstory of being one of the very few biracial people in Japan, she was right on the ticket with MUO's SJW checklist. She didn't at least perform to task, but she also basically STOLE a spot from more worthy candidates!

Last year, the token candidates were Miss USA and Miss Canada. First, Miss USA got there because of sash factor, pure and simple. She was neither stunning nor a catwalk queen. She over sold herself to the point of making me puke at how she is an active military officer. Bish, ALMOST ALL candidates from Israel are or have served in the military, some actually did or are doing more than just your desk job, but you don't hear them harping about it like it's the only point of their existence! Also, who can't forget Miss Canada from last year? The bish can't shut up about how she is proud of how she looks, how healthy she is, and how people should "accept and love their curves". So many words from a HYPOCRITE, seeing that she's competed in several pageants where she was actually in tip top shape! Basically she got lazy and probably figured out she had no chance at the crown, and smart as she is, figured that she could take advantage of the recent political and social climate by branding herself as a "self-love" advocate. Pia is curvy, and TONED! Miss Canada is just plain fat and lazy.

This year's token candidates are Miss USA (AGAIN!), Miss Croatia, Miss Ghana, Miss Sri Lanka (and I forgot who else, I'll update later when I remember). Miss USA again with the sash factor and the snoozefest, vomit-inducing over marketing of how she is a scientist. My question is, aside from that, what else you got, Miss USA???? She was bland, uncharismatic and undeserving of her slot. Miss Croatia, has anybody noticed she's a Toni Braxton look-a-like? Another "curvy" candidate who couldn't walk, didn't have any charm, but got through by sheer virtue of being the "curviest" candidate in this year's edition. Miss Ghana and Miss Sri Lanka, anyone with half a brain knows that if it weren't for the selection by regions, they wouldn't be there at all.

UNPOPULAR OPINION: Miss Jamaica didn't deserve her place as well. I just couldn't for the life of me figure out what the judges saw in her. She wasn't stunning, her walk was blah, and aside from the bright color of her dress, there wasn't anything else that made her stand out for me. Was it because she was a black girl sporting her "natural hair"? First, what is it with MUO and all this propaganda??? Making a big deal out of nothing. If your natural hair was a shade of vomit green, frizzy and sometimes slither like snakes, then I would praise you for "wearing your natural hair". Otherwise, it's nothing to make such a big deal about. Miss Brazil and Miss France have been wearing their hair au naturale but no one seems to praise them for that. All this marketing for an undeserving black candidates. This year's Miss Jamaica is no Kaci Fennell nor Yendi Phillips. She was another over-marketed, over-sold black girl who fit the SJW mold of MUO.

I was disappointed by Miss Philippines' exclusion from the Top 5. She should've been there instead of Miss Jamaica.

Lastly, Miss SA had been highlighted all throughout the pageant. During the video packs of group discussions, they basically showed THE SAME GROUP with Miss SA taking over the conversation. It's like they've chosen their winner even before the pageant began! *wink*

Nonetheless, Miss SA is a worthy winner. Would've liked it better to have a Peters vs Peters in the Top 2. Miss SA looks every bit the winners of the IMG era: unexpected, beauty queen look but not cut out from the mold. Cheers!

Loving your insights. Thank you for sharing your reviews too. I totally agree with the most part of what you’ve share. Kudos.

ImageImage
UNO - God of Beauty

Postby Oma-san » Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:54 pm

The only outcome I didn't like about the entire night was the ugly gown she wore.
Oma-san

Real Life Name/Nick: Elle
Sexual Orientation: Bicurious
Profession: Associate Professor
Hobbies/Interests: love, love, love my girls

Postby UNO - God of Beauty » Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:05 pm

cindy_kato wrote:
Bad

1. Miss Universe Canada Org sending wrong and alarming message to the world, first by sending a lazy fat cow in January and an anorexic blonde in November.
2. Colombia's over the top facial expression and presentation. Just like Shandi said, it looks like as if an electronic dildo is going in and out of her vajayjay.
3. Colombian queens being so full of themselves in answering the final question.

Besides, I highly doubt that Philippines, Venezuela and even Jamaica are really wildcard contestants. With regards to Philippines, MUO just knew how to toy with their biggest fanbase.

Totally agree with you about Laura’s expression. While watching, I asked my Colombian friend if she’s having an orgasm. Hahaha

On the other note, I like the fact that these Colombians are always controversial. Last year, Andrea was caught in a video complaining about the junk foods given by the sponsors to the candidates. Then, a lot of fuss came saying Andrea will be disqualified because she is pregnant. Hahaha
This year Laura had this viral Halloween video.

ImageImage
UNO - God of Beauty

Postby UNO - God of Beauty » Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:10 pm

babycakes55 wrote:This was a beautiful read! It resonates with the majority opinion here.

A few things I'd like to add:
I agree Europe is lacking. I would rather have seen Peru, Mexico, or France. However, I was happy to see Miss Croatia there.

And I can't agree more with your last part. I'm not saying the pageant is rigged but IMG definitely favors some girls more than others to win the crown. We've seen it in Miss USA '16 when Deshauna was asked a question about the military. We saw it in Miss USA '17 when Kára was given CHI exposures. We saw it in Miss Universe when Demi's video was one of the first to be posted, when she was featured in the Yamamay swimsuit pictures and those talk segments after commercials. I'm not saying she's undeserving but IMG saw a girl that fit the job (which I agree with) which probably led to better treatment.

I agree. Just like what I wrote above, the exposures they gave with Demi was evident. It felt like she’s already on the job training. Well, maybe they really wanted to crown another queen from Africa. Rolene Strauss could very well give Paulina a run for the money, but she became Miss World 2014. So this perhaps is the opportunity IMG wont let pass.

ImageImage
UNO - God of Beauty

Postby Oma-san » Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:20 pm

I think Jamaica is pretty and her gown was nice but her voice is so distracting and misleading that although her answers were good, they sounded like she blew them. Kaci Fenell was really good but if you listen to her final answer, you'd know she blew it. I still think Jamaica had a good chance in 2010 where Yendi deserved to win.

I liked Colombia because she came across as very sincere and she couldn't hold back her emotions at the final announcement of the winner. She's not as beautiful as her predecessors but I think she had the best personality. But the best had to be chosen and it was South Africa! This girl was really the best and the most deserving.

I would've kicked out Venezuela and put Philippines on her spot.
Oma-san

Real Life Name/Nick: Elle
Sexual Orientation: Bicurious
Profession: Associate Professor
Hobbies/Interests: love, love, love my girls

Postby UNO - God of Beauty » Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:08 pm

Oma-san wrote:I think Jamaica is pretty and her gown was nice but her voice is so distracting and misleading that although her answers were good, they sounded like she blew them. Kaci Fenell was really good but if you listen to her final answer, you'd know she blew it. I still think Jamaica had a good chance in 2010 where Yendi deserved to win.

I liked Colombia because she came across as very sincere and she couldn't hold back her emotions at the final announcement of the winner. She's not as beautiful as her predecessors but I think she had the best personality. But the best had to be chosen and it was South Africa! This girl was really the best and the most deserving.

I would've kicked out Venezuela and put Philippines on her spot.

Indeed, Colombia has so much personality and very charming. First runner up finish is a big achievement.
For me, Top 3 could have been South Africa-Philippines-Venezuela or South Africa-Philippines-Venezuela
ImageImage
UNO - God of Beauty

Postby hokuto1129 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:30 pm

Sincerely, since I joined Misso I am always rooting for your thread. I like trivias, stories and keen insights.

Sadly, wala na ang mga If ONLY SHE WAS THERE, yung BEST and WORST. actually, I miss it.

Nevertheless, kudos to you Uno. You never fail to give us a very valuable thread that's worth the read. Very informative and balanced.

You are my IDOL.
hokuto1129

Date of Birth: 21 Nov 1980
Profession: banker
Western Zodiac Sign: Scorpio
Chinese Zodiac: Horse
Hobbies/Interests: listening to music, watching movies

Postby cindy_kato » Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:51 pm

UNO - God of Beauty wrote:
cindy_kato wrote:
Bad

Totally agree with you about Laura’s expression. While watching, I asked my Colombian friend if she’s having an orgasm. Hahaha

On the other note, I like the fact that these Colombians are always controversial. Last year, Andrea was caught in a video complaining about the junk foods given by the sponsors to the candidates. Then, a lot of fuss came saying Andrea will be disqualified because she is pregnant. Hahaha
This year Laura had this viral Halloween video.

So it's true,

I just saw that allegation in the US Board about the Halloween Party in which her costume is like something related to a narco queen with a gun and she said she will kill the other delegates if she didn't win. Well, technically, she didn't win so will she "kill" Demi to takeover?
"I maybe easy, but I'm not cheap!" -- Aubrey Miles, from the movie Singles
cindy_kato

Real Life Name/Nick: Maldito
Date of Birth: 03 May 1983
Profession: Gangster
Chinese Zodiac: Pig
Hobbies/Interests: Misso

Postby chinchansoo » Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:16 pm

Nice review... babawi ang Pilipinas next year!!! Humanda sila!!!
chinchansoo

Real Life Name/Nick: Chin Chan Soo Paweekhan
Date of Birth: 21 Dec 1985
Profession: Director
Western Zodiac Sign: Cancer
Chinese Zodiac: Dragon
Hobbies/Interests: You are soo China

Postby Malcanthet » Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:05 pm

I usually get a least half the semi-finalists in my picks and this year I totally sucked at it. All I got was Ireland, Jamaica, USA and Venezuela, the latter two being obvious choices. Despite IMG's claim of revamping the pageant...the pageant was dominated by the usual powerhouses, countries that were not powerhouses were quickly eliminated in the first round. A three hour telecast and again, the swimsuit and evening gown competition went by in a quick flash. As for the winner, I do not found her attractive at all and her answers were the weakest among the top 5 and final 3 (same old feminist drivel about women not being paid the same as men). Answers alone, Colombia gave the best responses while Jamaica was an outside of the box choice. At least Demi-Leigh's victory is another one for Africa.
Malcanthet

Real Life Name/Nick: KL
Date of Birth: 01 Jan 1969
Profession: Adm Asst
Chinese Zodiac: Monkey
Hobbies/Interests: Music, swimming

Postby Virginia Dalisay » Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:35 pm

Wow, ganda naman ng presentation ni Mr. Uno,
dapat isama toh dun sa official thread ni Demi .
>=p >=p >=p >=p >=p >=p >=p <:-P
Virginia Dalisay

Date of Birth: 14 Feb 1991
Profession: Archeologist
Chinese Zodiac: Goat
Hobbies/Interests: Gemstone Collection

Postby Red Flamingos » Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:45 pm

ImageImage
Red Flamingos

Date of Birth: 10 Jun 1992
Profession: ------
Hobbies/Interests: ------
Message: Something I learned about people... If they do it once, they'll do it again.

Postby Stoichio » Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:57 pm

AS ALWAYS, outstanding post review.

I don't know why but I actually expected Ghana to place 100% that I put her in my Top 5 hahaha!
Based on how I perceived it, she was one of the secret favorites of MUO while South Africa and Thailand were their obvious favorites.

I got 9/16 in a list that I hurriedly sent to Xamurai after realizing that I actually had no time for more indepth analysis.

I have always expressed my opinion that one between Mexico and Venezuela will clap.

I quite expected Bunga to clap yet I thought she was one of the wildcard. But I didn't know that for MUO/IMG, the wildcards were the best performers.

"IT IS BETTER TO FAIL IN ORIGINALITY THAN TO SUCCEED IN IMITATION.-Herman Melville

Stoichio

Date of Birth: 01 Jan 2011
Sexual Orientation: -----------
Profession: Number 1
Hobbies/Interests: Nature tripping

Postby sapient_101 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:36 pm

Canada and Croatia were great candidates. Both were beautiful and the few videos I've seen allude that they can talk with sense. Had they both entered the Top 5, together with USA and Philippines, it could have been a different result. The path was cleared for a win between Thailand and South Africa. Both candidates appeared to be favoured by the organization. Unfortunately for Thailand, she shot herself in the foot with her incoherent non-answer, thus ending her journey and us having the gorgeous South African as the new queen.
sapient_101

Date of Birth: 01 Jan 1982
Profession: -
Hobbies/Interests: books... movies...

Postby fortela » Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:30 am

on the post of ezooney about sri lanka i disagree...she has one of the most beautiful faces in the competition. canada has also a very beautiful face and she made excellent eye contact with the camera. i felt thailand should not have made past the top 16 because she had the worst figure but i guess the judges are influenced by facial beauty during swimsuit. i suggest ms universe use the veil just like ms earth during figure judging
fortela

Real Life Name/Nick: ninen
Profession: paralegal
Chinese Zodiac: Rat
Hobbies/Interests: beauty pageants

Postby UNO - God of Beauty » Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:59 am

sapient_101 wrote:Canada and Croatia were great candidates. Both were beautiful and the few videos I've seen allude that they can talk with sense. Had they both entered the Top 5, together with USA and Philippines, it could have been a different result. The path was cleared for a win between Thailand and South Africa. Both candidates appeared to be favoured by the organization. Unfortunately for Thailand, she shot herself in the foot with her incoherent non-answer, thus ending her journey and us having the gorgeous South African as the new queen.

I also entertained that thought, USA, PHILIPPINES, SPAIN and CANADA in the Top 5 with SOUTH AFRICA would be a total bloodbath. But, just like what we said, the path has to be cleared for Thailand and South Africa. And unlucky, Thailand sealed her fate, and it’s gonna be South Africa’s moment. If Venezuela was called to be part of the top 3 instead of Colombia, Keysi might end up giving Demi a run for the money for sure. But IMG wont do that. They felt, “Okay, the Filipino fans will be happy because their Rachel is in the top 10, so let’s axed her. Let’s butcher Canada, Spain and USA too. Put the lesser threat with South Africa, and viola... Demi Leigh, slay these weaker girls next to you.”

ImageImage
UNO - God of Beauty

Postby pilsenrayu » Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:43 am

this thread needs a excellence award stamp! :hx
Life is a bitch... sometimes you fu€k, most of the time they fu€k you!
pilsenrayu

Real Life Name/Nick: rayu
Date of Birth: 05 May 1979
Profession: fashion victim
Western Zodiac Sign: Taurus
Chinese Zodiac: Horse
Hobbies/Interests: read books,fashion mag,i love movies

Postby Jake.Horan » Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:47 am

Enjoyed reading your review bro and I agree with a lot of your sentiments. TL;DR post but anyway:

- I am generally satisfied with the overall outcome of the pageant despite that horrendous primitive prototype of a preliminary pageant production ugh.

- South Africa was the rightful heir to the crown (and like you pointed out, THANK GOODNESS the Mikimoto is back - I guess the lack of sponsors and budget has its silver linings eh), and I could swear the spirit of Pia Wurztbach version 2015 was upon her and she totally captured the essence of modulated secks eyes during her EG stint. But I felt also that despite her total frontrunner status almost similar to Paulina Vega in 2014, during the finals night I didn't feel as though it was a one-sided mollywhopping by Demi because Jamaica and Colombia gave her a solid run for her money.

- Speaking of Colombia, I liked her. Even had her as my 1st RU on my unpublished hotpicks. But she was a bit extra for my liking during the pageant. She was probs all sincere and shit, but I call PHONY AS on that one. Closing-eyes-whilst-answering-questions was the last nail in the coffin for me. Total turn off. PLUS, the issue with having an interpreter surfaces here again when the entire pageant night (including her video) bar the last QnA segments have ALL BEEN SPOKEN IN ENGLISH. Despite my rants, I still think her placement was well deserved.

- Like you, I do not mind Steve Harvey hosting now. He grew on me somehow. I also liked Carson Kressley (would like for him to come back next edition) and to some extent Ashley Graham (compared to say...Roselyn Sanchez). I have mixed feelings about Lu Sierra as a correspondent. I surely admired her candidness. I particularly cracked up when she was telling Jamaica off from afar about how she was unnecessarily tutuing her cape. But with her having spent a lot of time working with the ladies off cam being the poise and runway auntie to one and all, I expected some degree of impartiality from her. And I understand that everyone has got favourites, including her, but I found it a tad too in-your-face for my liking that it didn't sit well on me. It's like a parent deliberately confessing to the kids their favourite child. But that's just me.

- Never thought China would make it but the moment she opened her mouth during her banter with Steve, I was immediately #TeamChina. She is a tower of awkward adorableness. On the other end of the spectrum, Ireland and Croatia have got zero business in the top 16. Uhmm...how about Peru? How about bloody Mexico instead of those two?

- The entire time, the logistics of how in the world Iris will crown Jamaica in the event of her winning was running at the back of my mind. Has anyone ever thought of this?

- I agree with you on Thailand's EG. I can appreciate the cultural side of her gown and it's nice that she can incorporate her heritage in her EG, but I found the style and the colour to be a bit heavy. As for her one-piece SS, I thought it was a brilliant decision.

- Yeah, I don't get the continental grouping either. It didn't make ANY sense at all. Plus, Africa-Asia-Oceania combined? Really? Give Asia it's OWN group, then combine Europe and Africa maybe. But even that wouldn't make sense. I mean...WHY?

- Also, I am glad that they got rid of walking in threes. Like you said they can, however, prolong each candidates strutting stint. Maybe cut off the unnecessary Top 4-commentary-Top 4-commentary BS. That'll save you time. BUT, it is a start.

-As for your lovely Rachel, bless her I thought she was definitely worthy of a place in the Top 10. She was effortlessly sexy. That gown was primo and her SS presentation was one, if not the best. I think she would have looked better on that EG with her hair slick back for added sexiness and impact. I guess she was simply outperformed by the final five who, I felt, walked like it's for sale and the rent was due that night.

- Love Iris. Didn't like her wearing a gown similar to Pia's last year. I felt it was a missed opportunity for her to make a signature culmination look. But it looks grand, if anything. That white number at the beginning though...splendid.

- I do hope Demi continues with her cause even long after her reign finishes. I guess the fact that she's doing something worthwhile is better than not doing anything at all. In this regard, I am happy that this era of Miss Universe takes into consideration (up to what extent beats me) the candidates' social involvement in making their communities better for everyone. In saying that, I do not want this to be the sole determinant for whoever wins. I want entertainment value that comes from these women seriously battling it out on the stage - secks eyes and fierce walk and all- whilst at the same time, pushing for women empowerment in however and whatever narrative they choose to manifest this. I think that's what makes Miss Universe, well, Miss Universe. Thank you, Las Vegas. Lawl.

I was gonna do my own post-pageant musings and in fact I am already in the middle of it. But I decided to can it because I have so much on my plate that the best thing I could do is to read your thoughts and comment here instead. Thanks for sharing Uno!
Jake.Horan

Date of Birth: 15 Dec 1990
Sexual Orientation: Straight
Profession: Entourage Guy
Hobbies/Interests: Self-respect over attention

Postby mysticV » Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:24 pm

UNO - God of Beauty wrote:
Llyod Carnegie wrote:
hark hark hark

Nice read.

Dear, I know majority of Filipinos dream of going to US. They were raised with that great American dream. We have a house in Napa Valley. My mom resides there for more than 20 years. My dad lives in Canada. But I chose to live in Europe. You drive from California and you will end up Nevada, Arizona and other States. You drive from France, then you will be in Belgium, Netherlands, Luxembourg, Switzerland, Germany, Italy, Andorra or Spain to name a few. Or take the Eurostar and in 2 hours, you are in London. It will then be another country with different traditions, culture, food, even different men to choose from. So yeah, I am good here. Thanks.

Very well said like a true queen ! :hx
mysticV
INTERMEDIATES are EVOLVING posters.
INTERMEDIATES are EVOLVING posters.

Date of Birth: 13 Jan 1980
Profession: fashion Stylist
Hobbies/Interests: styling,reading, watching live concerts

Next

Return to Miss Universe